The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Adventures By Disney (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Adventure Guide podcast segment (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2882633)

Sarabi's Cubs 02-23-2012 07:41 AM

Adventure Guide podcast segment
 
After listening to the podcast, my desire to do another ABD is now an obsession. I don't even care where I go. After listening to Courtney talk, I am ready to sign up for Quest for the West and Ireland and neither of these are places I planned to visit. I'd better start saving for 2013!

Laurie

k5jmh 02-24-2012 07:35 AM

I am in the same boat, Laurie.

MinnieGarden 02-24-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k5jmh (Post 44122104)
I am in the same boat, Laurie.

Really?????:scratchin

k5jmh 02-24-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieGarden (Post 44123260)
Really?????:scratchin

ABD Austin or ABD Orlando. :cool2:

sayhello 02-24-2012 11:17 AM

I haven't listened to that segment yet. I didn't realize that's what it was. I guess I'll bump it up on the iPod queue!

Quest for the West has always been in the back of my head as one I'd like to do, but I keep getting drawn to the exotic foreign ones. Seeing how much I loved Southwest Splendors, maybe I should rethink that!

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs 02-24-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k5jmh (Post 44122104)
I am in the same boat, Laurie.

Mike,

Would that be the boat you're going on in June 2013, because I'd like to be on that boat!!

Tobi,

I've always wanted to Southwest Splendors. For one thing, we'd like to take the kids, and airfare to Phoenix for 5 is probably alot better than airfare for 5 to Europe!

Laurie

sayhello 02-24-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarabi's Cubs (Post 44128360)
Tobi,

I've always wanted to Southwest Splendors. For one thing, we'd like to take the kids, and airfare to Phoenix for 5 is probably alot better than airfare for 5 to Europe!

Laurie

Laurie, Southwest Splendors was my first ABD, and I still think it's one of ABD's best itineraries. A great mix of activities, things to see & things to do. I *HIGHLY* recommend it! I think your kids would love it. And yes, WAY cheaper than Europe!

Everyone should see the Grand Canyon! And you get to river raft on the Colorado River and hike to Delicate Arch. Good times!

Sayhello

tracyz 02-25-2012 12:34 PM

Just hanging out in our kitchen we listened to the podcast, and every time they started talking about how great the whole thing is, DH was nodding his head but then he noticed I was tearing up...he had to roll his eyes at me and leave the room. :rotfl:

sayhello 02-25-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyz (Post 44134492)
Just hanging out in our kitchen we listened to the podcast, and every time they started talking about how great the whole thing is, DH was nodding his head but then he noticed I was tearing up...he had to roll his eyes at me and leave the room. :rotfl:

I think that means it's time for him to take you on another ABD! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

pxlbarrel 02-25-2012 10:41 PM

Hmmm... bear with me here ....

Just listened to the podcast...and I have to admit, I'm now more worried than I ever was.... because it's always nice to have low expectations and be surprised when everything is above your expectations. However, listening to the podcasts and this particular podcast (and I'll be honest, the way everybody talks about ABD is what convinced us or rather me to go with them), makes me wonder if my expectations are now higher than they ought to be. I appreciate the fact that when people write their reviews and blogs they don't tell everything and surprises are still kept as surprises.... but now, I wonder ... should I be expecting surprises and will I be upset if there aren't any?

It's like when you read about people who get that amazing server at Prime Time 50's Diner who gives that extra bit of pixie dust in the park and then people (not me) get upset when they don't get the same bit of pixie dust.

If I'm expecting a lot, will I still be pleasantly surprised by the ABD treatment?

I know ... I'm probably worrying over nothing. Just sometimes don't you think, that's gotta to be too good to be true...it'll never happen to me.

OKW Lover 02-26-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k5jmh (Post 44122104)
I am in the same boat, Laurie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieGarden (Post 44123260)
Really?????:scratchin

How big is that boat Mike? :boat:

OKW Lover 02-26-2012 06:33 AM

Val & I listened to this segment while we were out yesterday (on our way to a local DIS meet, but that's a separate story) and really enjoyed it. Especially as our first ABD trip will be this summer. :wave: to some of the other posters on this thread who will also be with us.

We loved the part where Courtney mentioned they compared notes about the guests (kind of like what is going on in this board where guests compare notes about guides). She mentioned one guest that wanted a glass of milk in their room every night. It got Val & I to wondering if we should mention having a glass of wine in our room every night. :rolleyes:

Sarabi's Cubs 02-26-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pxlbarrel (Post 44139760)
Hmmm... bear with me here ....

Just listened to the podcast...and I have to admit, I'm now more worried than I ever was.... because it's always nice to have low expectations and be surprised when everything is above your expectations. However, listening to the podcasts and this particular podcast (and I'll be honest, the way everybody talks about ABD is what convinced us or rather me to go with them), makes me wonder if my expectations are now higher than they ought to be. I appreciate the fact that when people write their reviews and blogs they don't tell everything and surprises are still kept as surprises.... but now, I wonder ... should I be expecting surprises and will I be upset if there aren't any?

It's like when you read about people who get that amazing server at Prime Time 50's Diner who gives that extra bit of pixie dust in the park and then people (not me) get upset when they don't get the same bit of pixie dust.

If I'm expecting a lot, will I still be pleasantly surprised by the ABD treatment?

I know ... I'm probably worrying over nothing. Just sometimes don't you think, that's gotta to be too good to be true...it'll never happen to me.


I admit I am a bit of a control freak and the idea of surprises makes me anxious rather than excited, so I just go into it anticipating the trip itself (and really with those itineraries, how could you not be?) and if surprises happen, well, that's icing on the cake. After all, there are surprises in every vacation - a place you eat that knocks your socks off or something the kids get into that you never thought they would (8hours in the National Gallery with 3 young kids when it was pouring in DC so we couldn't visit the monuments comes to mind). I wouldn't worry about it.

Laurie

K and K's Mommy 02-26-2012 07:24 AM

Thanks so much for bringing this podcast to my attention. I'm ashamed to say I have never listened to one!

I loved the part about the "power of the paddle." When my parents and kids were in Galapagos, they said how great it was that ABD got on the islands first every morning. They also loved their guides - Laura and Eduardo.

Getting excited for Quest to the West!

sayhello 02-26-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy (Post 44141027)
Thanks so much for bringing this podcast to my attention. I'm ashamed to say I have never listened to one!

I loved the part about the "power of the paddle." When my parents and kids were in Galapagos, they said how great it was that ABD got on the islands first every morning. They also loved their guides - Laura and Eduardo.

Getting excited for Quest to the West!

I loved the "power of the paddle" comment, too. :) I love that paddle. Gets us a lot of longing looks! I have to admit, as others have said, people keep talking about dressing so that you won't look like a tourist in Europe. Someone mentioned that it's pretty useless on an ABD, because you're walking behind this Guide, with a paddle saying "Adventures by Disney". Pretty much kills any chance of not looking like a tourist! ;)

There's a lot to be said about being first off the ship, or not standing in line. When we went to the Eiffel Tower on our Knights & Lights trip, the line to get in circled 2/3 of the base of the tower. It went on forever. But we just walked up to the short line to get up to the restaurant, and were inside in minutes. Same thing when we went to see the David in Florence. Or the Vatican in Rome. The power of the Paddle is HUGE!

Sayhello


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.