The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you book your Disney trip? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2866993)

tlriv5 01-24-2012 01:48 PM

How do you book your Disney trip?

I have gone through AAA our last three trips, no big deal. Of course they don't really have any discounts that we use and once I had to explain to my travel agent what a Pin that I had received meant. So that made me think that this time around I would just book through Disney directly. My question though is there anyone that you book through that gives extra discounts? We aren't going till October, so not many Disney run specials are out there and I know if I book through Disney they will change it for me if let's say, they add free dining. So, I guess my question is who do use to book your Disney trip and why? Thanks!

angierae 01-24-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlriv5 (Post 43835189)
I have gone through AAA our last three trips, no big deal. Of course they don't really have any discounts that we use and once I had to explain to my travel agent what a Pin that I had received meant. So that made me think that this time around I would just book through Disney directly. My question though is there anyone that you book through that gives extra discounts? We aren't going till October, so not many Disney run specials are out there and I know if I book through Disney they will change it for me if let's say, they add free dining. So, I guess my question is who do use to book your Disney trip and why? Thanks!

If you book your trip and then free dining becomes available for your dates, you can add it on (if there's availability at your resort, you might have to change resorts if there is not.) This is what happened for us - we booked our trip last summer when packages came out, and then in the fall when free dining was announced we called and added it. Luckily, we were able to stay at POFQ.

Robin K 01-24-2012 02:34 PM

We use the magic for less travel agency.
We have been using them for 5 years now-6 come Sept! Our agent is wonderful! She keeps tabs on discounts for us and answers all of my questions..and I have had ALOT of questions over the years. She books my ADRS for me. We really love having someone be in charge of things for us. I know some people are not like that..but everyone is different!

JennSaint 01-24-2012 03:05 PM

Most of the time I book myself either by phone or online. Most of the discounts are offered right on the disneyworld.com website under special offers. I prefer to have total control over my reservations.

PIRATEGIRL007 01-24-2012 03:12 PM

I book online myself. I keep up with the promos that come out and see if a better deal comes up, if it does I swap to that. I don't personally have a need for a TA when I can easily do it all myself. The website and phone CM's make it pretty easy to book a basic package and dining reservations.

tlriv5 01-24-2012 03:38 PM

I am all for doing all by myself, I feel comfortable with that. I just wanted to make sure there were no discounts out there from some agency that I didn't know about. Do you do airline tickets through Disney?

PrincessAurora 01-24-2012 03:47 PM

I've been using Dream Unlimited and the awesome Beth since 2001! If a lower price comes up, she gets it for me. I am the uber plan ahead organizer and have always had great service!

DisneyLoverUSA 01-24-2012 05:35 PM

airfare

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlriv5 (Post 43836342)
I am all for doing all by myself, I feel comfortable with that. I just wanted to make sure there were no discounts out there from some agency that I didn't know about. Do you do airline tickets through Disney?

I didn't book my airfare through Disney because every flight they had to offer me were all connecting flight/no non-stop flights and they were all over $400. I booked myself through Southwest on a non-stop flight for $160 round trip. I would say look for good deals on airfare yourself. I wouldn't book that through Disney. Once you book your own flight you call and give Disney your flight information so they can arrange ME for you from the airport. I called ME myself to make sure they had my flight info.

The only discounts a travel agent can offer you are the same discounts you can get for yourself through Disney special offers page.

jpgpmpcp 01-24-2012 05:47 PM

All three trips booked directly through calling Disney. I also had a pin for the last two trips. We decided to fly this year and booked it ourselves using Southwest's website. We actually altered our days from a Tuesday - Tuesday stay as airline tickets were much cheaper ($90 each way) :)
And we purchased the airline tickets before booking at WDW ~ but only by a few hours!

bowbat 01-24-2012 05:55 PM

I book it myself directly with Disney. I'm a bit of a control freak and a dedicated bargain hunter -- I would just frankly be unable to trust that anyone else would be aware of/on top of the available discounts like I am. (Sidebar: it helps that I'm a SAHM with no life, so I have the free time to dedicate to it. :P)

minnie mum 01-24-2012 06:04 PM

I have only once booked a package through a TA and vowed never to subject myself to that kind of mess again. But, full disclosure, this was not one of the dedicated Disney Travel Agencies (although they like to advertise Disney packages all the time for members).

If there's going to be any mistakes made, then I want to be the one making them dang it!:rotfl2: Just kidding. I can just as easily check for discounts myself, and know the resorts better than a lot of TAs at this point. And I much prefer booking my own ADRs since I can instantly change times or dates if I can't get my first choice right away.

I would never book my flights through Disney. Nor would I buy their travel insurance. Again, if anything goes wrong, I want the ability to deal directly and not have to go through a third party.

I realize that different people have their own preferences regarding the use of TAs. It's all good. But it's really not difficult or that time consuming if you want to do it yourself. Just takes a bit of research on your part.

JaneBanks 01-24-2012 06:12 PM

I also use Beth from Dreams Unlimited and she's always been fantastic!

kmb584 01-24-2012 06:57 PM

I book it myself and book sporadically. Our resort for April has been paid for since November but just last week I purchased our airline tickets. When we went in October I bought an AP so my ticket is taken care of, but once we arrive in April I'll be purchasing DD an AP as well (she'll have turned 3 by then).

As for discounts, I get an AP discount when booking our room. Travel agency wise, the best Disney deal here is to book through Boscov's (department store) travel department.

wjb1108 06-26-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgpmpcp (Post 43837681)
All three trips booked directly through calling Disney. I also had a pin for the last two trips. We decided to fly this year and booked it ourselves using Southwest's website. We actually altered our days from a Tuesday - Tuesday stay as airline tickets were much cheaper ($90 each way) :)
And we purchased the airline tickets before booking at WDW ~ but only by a few hours!

I see that people are trading pins for trips. What are pins?

stargazertechie 06-26-2013 08:08 AM

I book myself simply because

1) I'm a control freak
2) I work in the travel industry part time