The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Aulani - rental/transportation (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851743)

leelee9878 12-29-2011 06:47 PM

Aulani - rental/transportation

Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.

sarahk0204 12-29-2011 07:13 PM

Ok, I haven't been to Aulani, but I was just listening to the DIS podcast where they were talking about Aulani. Because they are not DVC and would incur the per day paking charge, they suggested renting a car at the resort for the day and turning it back in at night. Would it be any cheaper to rent a car for the drive from the airport, turn it in, and have a no-car day or 2 during the stay? Maybe more hassle than it is worth, but just a thought.

travlrmel 12-30-2011 02:09 AM

When we went, I rented from Alamo. I typically rent from them (they seem to be cheaper than the others) so I signed up for their "insiders" club. For Sun-Sat rental for a compact it was $230, about the same price as Fri-Mon rental in Vegas 2 months earlier. I rented a compact, but ended up with a mid-size because they were out of compacts. Check out the "Hot Deals" on their website.

Also checked into a shuttle to/from the airport and renting the car at the resort. I don't remember the specifics, but it came out about the same.

lilpooh108 12-30-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelee9878 (Post 43570363)
Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.

I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.

leelee9878 12-30-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpooh108 (Post 43576147)
I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.

I completely agree, and I am the queen of searching every possible option haha. I have mastered Orlando, but Hawaii is a new venture for me :)

I ended up finding a car thru Alamo direct for $268 w/taxes, I think this may be the cheapest I will be able to find. I booked it and I will cancel, if I can find cheaper. If I were to rent direct from Aulani it would be $200 for the week including taxes.

I dont think we will be able to find a shuttle that is less than $30 pp RT so it looks like I will most likely be keeping the reservation that I made. I will definitley keep an eye on the transportation threads...I forgot all about them!

1EvilQueenfan 01-02-2012 07:28 PM

We will be going to Aulani on Jan 23 for 16 nights. We purchased the Entertainmet book for Hawaii which had car rental coupons. We were able to get a car rental from the airport for the entire trip for about $480. It seemed cheaper to me to rent the car from the airport rather than Aulani. Hope this helps.

Patricia 01-02-2012 08:00 PM

Thrifty and Dollar had some great deals when we were there. Check them out.

tinkerbe 01-02-2012 08:29 PM

car rental....crazy

So I will be going to Aulani for just 2 days. Hopping from another island. A 2 day plus a few extra hours cost about $170.00 for a car rental. Thats almost the same a a whole week! I don't think I will really need a car for just 2 days, but the taxi ride is around $70 each way. I am going crazy! Love some discount codes! Thanks:thumbsup2

dr&momto2boys 01-04-2012 05:28 PM

Bump :goodvibes