The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My EXTRA tip for Room Service (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727505)

engle 05-25-2011 08:02 AM

My EXTRA tip for Room Service

So, we ordered room service every morning on the Alaskan. At least coffee. We had the same delivery person every day. And every day we would invite him in to put down the tray. The second day, the sights started to get AMAZING, so we invited him to step out on the verandah to take a look. He loved it! He was so thankful. I know they, especially dining and room stewards, do not get a lot of free time, and this was their first time to Alaska too. So be sure to invite your room steward and/or room service person to take in the sights for a few minutes while in your room...especially if you have a verandah!!

scootch 05-25-2011 09:00 AM

Sweet of you to do!:thumbsup2

kgsmith 05-25-2011 09:46 AM

What a great suggestion!:thumbsup2

I will have to remember that when we sail in August.

Mmketeer 05-25-2011 10:45 AM

That was very sweet of you and what a great suggestion. :)

mnrhannah07 05-25-2011 11:27 AM

thats what I really enjoy about mostly all CM's on DCL, they are so appreciative of the small things guests do for them!

IrishCowboy 05-25-2011 11:47 AM

Not trying to be difficult here, but I think this is a bad idea. Most servers will feel obligated to take up your invitation to enjoy the view from your balcony. The servers make their income off tips, and the more deliveries they make, they more tip money potential.

I am sure they appreciate the kind gestures, but this could have a negative effect their income if we all start inviting them onto out balcomies to admire the view and chit-chat.

engle 05-25-2011 03:43 PM

Um, he was out there maybe a total of 30 seconds each time...and we only invited him out after we saw him craning his neck to see...by the third day, he was asking to go out...this is for sure one thing I dislike about the disboards....I am sure not EVERYONE will be inviting their delivery person out on their verandah...ugh.

Shanny145 05-25-2011 04:05 PM

I think that is AWSOME of you....so true that they don't get enough time to take everything in. :thumbsup2 I bet he really appreciated it! I'm going to follow your lead in August.

Oh BTW some people need happy pills to stay nice and some MORE than others! Ignore negative comments...or stupid ones...:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::rolleyes1

Mickeygolf 05-25-2011 04:27 PM

Come on guys, not saying I agree with Irish Cowboy but he does make a valid point. If everyone invited their RS delivery person it could cause a problem. Will that happen, most likely not, but I think you're being just a little hard on the guy for even bringing it up.

That was a very generous gesture to invite him onto your verandah. Glad you were able to make his day.

Samantha_Mommy 05-25-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engle (Post 41237498)
So, we ordered room service every morning on the Alaskan. At least coffee. We had the same delivery person every day. And every day we would invite him in to put down the tray. The second day, the sights started to get AMAZING, so we invited him to step out on the verandah to take a look. He loved it! He was so thankful. I know they, especially dining and room stewards, do not get a lot of free time, and this was their first time to Alaska too. So be sure to invite your room steward and/or room service person to take in the sights for a few minutes while in your room...especially if you have a verandah!!

engle, that was a great idea, i agree with you and it was very nice of you to do.

Costumesaremylife 05-25-2011 06:41 PM

If everyone starts inviting the crew person, then they can always say No thank you. Let the person decide.

ICMDGO 05-25-2011 06:52 PM

On our last cruise (not DCL) we brought little gifts from home for our stateroom attendent and left them for him every other night. After the fisrt night while he was thanking us he actually cried. It was the first time in 6 tours that anyone had ever given him something like that. It was such a small gift but the rewards to us were great !

This is a cruise line that does not allow tipping so this was our way to say thanks !

Dizzyworld 05-25-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costumesaremylife (Post 41245668)
If everyone starts inviting the crew person, then they can always say No thank you. Let the person decide.

That was my thoughts too.

Tink rules 05-25-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICMDGO (Post 41245784)
On our last cruise (not DCL) we brought little gifts from home for our stateroom attendent and left them for him every other night. After the fisrt night while he was thanking us he actually cried. It was the first time in 6 tours that anyone had ever given him something like that. It was such a small gift but the rewards to us were great !

This is a cruise line that does not allow tipping so this was our way to say thanks !

I brought chocolates for our room attendant and servers.. We were on the PC cruise and were with our crew for 2 straight weeks. They took care of us very well... I picked up small gifts towards the end of the cruise (in addition to tips) because they truly made it an incredible trip!!!

*Flower* 05-25-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICMDGO (Post 41245784)

Could you give me an idea of what kind of items you brought as little gifts? That sounds like something we might want to do.

Thanks so much!