The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cinque Terre on your own (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2653459)

mkmommy 02-08-2011 08:46 PM

Cinque Terre on your own

Since everyone has so many great ideas and tips for Villefranche own your own, how about a similar thread for Cinque Terre on your own.

I have read lots but it sounds like the hardest part is finding the train station in La Spezia, anyone have tips they care to share?

amackay 02-08-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmommy (Post 39884054)
Since everyone has so many great ideas and tips for Villefranche own your own, how about a similar thread for Cinque Terre on your own.

I have read lots but it sounds like the hardest part is finding the train station in La Spezia, anyone have tips they care to share?

Agreed, the hardest part is finding the train station. Once you disembark there are local tourist information staff with free maps who will give directions.

Also, don't believe the station staff when they give you a platform number for the Cinque Terre train service. They gave us the platform for a Pisa service.

You will love Cinque Terre, Monterosso & Vernazza are the 2 I absolutely would not miss. I'd recommend trying the Cinque Terre wine, it's very good and reasonably priced.

Anal Annie 02-08-2011 09:30 PM

Oh count me in for ideas too!! :goodvibes We are planning to use romeinlimo for Rome & Naples but they really want a lot more euro for this port so I am torn about doing Cinque Terre or Pisa / Lucca.

DisneyGirl421 02-08-2011 10:46 PM

Cinque Terre is gorgeous, I would definitely recommend trying to see it.

I hiked to 4 out of 5 towns. The last one is the hardest, and me and my friends didn't feel up to that. But its totally worth it. The views along the hiking paths are spectacluar and amazing. I would also recommend eating there, as that region is known for their pesto sauce. Delicious!!

gatzsd 02-08-2011 11:14 PM

The train station is a bit of a walk - but it isn't too hard to find. You can always take a cab to save a little time. Once we got there we just missed the train and had to wait an hour for the next one - so that really ate into our time as well - but the walk there is nice . Rick Steves has a guide book on Cinque Terre and found that to be quite helpful. Wish we had several days to spend there not just a short day- didn't get to spend near enough time there.

mickymania 02-09-2011 02:07 AM

Someone told me that you can take a boat, instead of the train. Has anyone ever tried or heard of that option?

woody73 02-09-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatzsd (Post 39885703)

. . . Rick Steves has a guide book on Cinque Terre and found that to be quite helpful. Wish we had several days to spend there not just a short day- didn't get to spend near enough time there.

We spent several days in the Cinque Terre, and loved it.

I recommend Rick Steves guidebook on the Cinque Terre no matter how long the stay. It was in our copy of Rick Steves "Italy".

Woody

kakop 02-09-2011 08:55 AM

We had planned to use a combination of boats and trains for the cinque terre, but the day we were there the seas were too rough so the boats weren't running. We took the train to Monterosso (the furthest town from La Spezia) and worked our way back, hiking some routes and using the train for others. It was a great day, and I'd love to do it again. The hiking trails weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be and the views were spectacular!

Anal Annie 02-09-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakop (Post 39887963)
We had planned to use a combination of boats and trains for the cinque terre, but the day we were there the seas were too rough so the boats weren't running. We took the train to Monterosso (the furthest town from La Spezia) and worked our way back, hiking some routes and using the train for others. It was a great day, and I'd love to do it again. The hiking trails weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be and the views were spectacular!

How long of a day is it to do it this way??? Did you head out super early? Did you have plenty of time left at the end of the day to get back to the ship with time to spare before all aboard??

Travelbee 02-09-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickymania (Post 39886546)
Someone told me that you can take a boat, instead of the train. Has anyone ever tried or heard of that option?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anal Annie (Post 39888035)
How long of a day is it to do it this way??? Did you head out super early? Did you have plenty of time left at the end of the day to get back to the ship with time to spare before all aboard??

La Spezia was by far our favorite port. We walked to the train station by following the map a local gave us at the port. It is a good half an hour walk. The train runs much more frequently than the boat so if you're planning to see more than 2 towns, I'd recommend doing it by train. It took us 6 hours to do all 5 towns but we had to keep close tabs on the train schedule. We took the 11 am train to Monterroso and made our way back. Vernazza was our favorite! We got back around 5 and took the taxi back to the port because there was a LOT of walking and everyone was exhausted.

NancyIL 02-09-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody73 (Post 39886619)
We spent several days in the Cinque Terre, and loved it.

I recommend Rick Steves guidebook on the Cinque Terre no matter how long the stay. It was in our copy of Rick Steves "Italy".

Woody

I second the recommendation for Rick Steves' Italy. I always have one or more of his guidebooks with me when I visit Europe. http://www.ricksteves.com//books/update/update_menu.htm

kakop 02-09-2011 09:47 AM

I don't remember what time we started out, but I'm guessing it was early. We walked both to and from the train station in La Spezia. We had plenty of time as the stop in port was a long one. The most important thing is noting the train schedules so you can plan your time in each village. We loved Vernazza too, and also vote for Rick Steves' guide. He spells out the "how-to's" in great, easy-to-follow detail.

Anal Annie 02-09-2011 10:48 AM

OK, so I just looked at our itinerary & see we have from 7:30-7:30 for this port. I am assuming there are trains that start running earlier than 11:00?! And if we WANTED to we could take longer than 6 hours?! :confused3 How much does the train and / or boat cost to do it on your own? Anybody remember? Looks like from last years prices still on the website that DCL charges $129 pp (adult) for a boat tour (that would be switched to a bus tour if they can't operate the boats) and it says 4.5 - 5 hours duration. I don't see an option for the train thru DCL...

amackay 02-09-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anal Annie (Post 39889202)
OK, so I just looked at our itinerary & see we have from 7:30-7:30 for this port. I am assuming there are trains that start running earlier than 11:00?! And if we WANTED to we could take longer than 6 hours?! :confused3 How much does the train and / or boat cost to do it on your own? Anybody remember? Looks like from last years prices still on the website that DCL charges $129 pp (adult) for a boat tour (that would be switched to a bus tour if they can't operate the boats) and it says 4.5 - 5 hours duration. I don't see an option for the train thru DCL...

If you are doing the train on your own it's 8,50 per person for the Cinque Terre Card with train travel or 19,50 per person with Boat & train travel

http://www.cinqueterre.com/eng/information/card/

Travelbee 02-09-2011 11:54 PM

FYI. Taxi was 10 Euros including tips from the train station back to the port.