The DIS Discussion Forums -

The DIS Discussion Forums - (
-   Universal Studios Trip Reports (
-   -   Bubba's Mom & her DH do their first HHN! (

bubba's mom 10-28-2010 09:20 PM

Bubba's Mom & her DH do their first HHN!
Our Very First HHN :eek: ...weekend.

Over a YEAR ago, yes in July of 2009, I had the opportunity to plan to attend a meet w/ some fellow DISers (who I've become pretty good buds with) over Columbus weekend. I won't bore you with 'who' or 'what' was planned, as plans change, but knowing the whole darn thing *could* have fallen apart, I decided to still book our room(s) and airfare and go with DH anyway. If nothing else, it was a weekend away alone together without the boy.

Our plan:

Friday, October 8th...put Bubba on the schoolbus, go out to breakfast w/ DH, pack up and drop the dog and Bubba's stuff off at my Mom's on our way to the airport for our 12:10pm flight.

After landing in MCO, grab rental car and head to Dad's for the night. Spend Friday night at Dad's.

Sometime Saturday, October 9th, either late morning/early afternoon, leave Dad's for PBH.

Check out of PBH Sunday, October 10th and check-in at DoubleTree.

Check out of DoubleTree Monday, October 11th and fly home.


Our Trip:

Day 1 - Friday, October 8, 2010

We got up and got Bubba off to school this morning. When he left on the schoolbus at 7:45, we went out to breakfast. After about a 45 minute breakfast, we came home, threw (not literally) our bags, Bubba's stuff, the dog's stuff and the dog in the car and dropped the dog and 'stuff' off at my Mom's on our way to the airport. Everything went smoothly and we were headed to PHL for our 12:10pm flight on time. :thumbsup2

We (surprisingly) didn't hit much leftover morning traffic on our way to Philadelphia. When we got near the airport, we went and checked in at Winner Airport Parking and they dropped us off at the airport. Flying SW, we had our printed boarding passes in hand and checked the monitor to see what gate we departed from. Since this was just a weekend for the two of us, we weren't checking any, we headed for security.

A short wait and we breezed through security. We headed for our gate and were there early enough that the flight before us was still sitting there waiting to leave. We didn't sit and wait too long before it was our turn to board. We were A53 & A54 boarding passes, so we stood in our respectable spots at boarding time and waited to board. I believe DH picked row 6 and I sat next to the window and he next to me in the middle seat. As soon as we sat down, buckled and settled in, it seemed very weird not to have Bubba with us.....I missed him already. :sad1: But, I knew I'd be talking to him soon (he was in school anyway) and we were getting ready to push out.

We were about 10 minutes past departure time when we pushed, but we were up and out of there relatively quickly. On our way, I pulled the shade closed on the window (the reason I took a window I could control the shade ;) ) and DH got my laptop out and we watched The Karate Kid on the way down. (on a side note about the movie: good movie, but a lot like the original...too many similiarities as a matter of fact) That movie is actually 2:20 minutes long, and we only got to watch to the 1:37 mark. We were already decending into Orlando...:banana:

We landed and headed to the rental car counter (no baggage claim, remember? :cool2: ) and there were a couple of parties ahead of us but there were plenty of agents and we were taken right away. A little background into the car I rented: I always reserve an economy car because they are usually better on gas and's usually just the 3 of us and 4 bags...plenty of room. This time there was the 2 of us and 1 bag and 1 backpack. For some odd reason, that I still don't know, a week before we left, I happened to check the rental car prices again. Only this time, the cheapest car that came up was a convertible! :eek: It was only $18 more than the economy car I had reserved months ago, so it really was a no brainer. I reserved the convertible and cancelled the ole economy. According to the website, we were supposed to be getting a Ford Mustang or Chrysler Sebring. The agent called for the Mustang and after a short wait, they told her they didn't have any. heart sank as I really wanted I was getting stuck with a Sebring. Oh well. :guilty: It's STILL a convertible. Imagine my happiness when she said they were getting us a Mitsubishi Spyder/Eclipse. We waited a couple minutes for it and finally got the 'okay' to head to the parking garage to pick up our car and get outta there. :yay:

We only waited a minute or two as they brought the car up to us (we didn't have to walk the aisle to get it). The top was up, but being a nice sunny day, I knew it wouldn't be up for long. We pulled out of the parking garage and were on our way....and, yes, put the top down.

Our first stop for the weekend was Dad's in Ocala. Can't go all the way to Florida and not stop by Dad's. Besides, they were having some computer and printer issues that DH had to work on for them while we were there. I believe we rolled into Dad's around 4:30 or so. We said our hello's and shocked Dad by rollin up in a convertible and then DH got to 'work' right away. Dad wanted to network his 2 computers and do some other stuff, so they got busy with that.

Meantime, after settling in, I called my Mom's to talk to Bubba. Mom had picked him up from the bus stop after school and taken him to her house for the weekend. I talked briefly to him (& Mom) and let him go so he could get ready for his karate class that night. I promised we'd call him before his bedtime.

We sat down to dinner with Dad & Joyce about 7pm...a little later than they normally eat, but DH had a break in his business with Dad's computer issues. After a nice steak dinner, DH worked a bit more on his Dad's computer before we all retired to the living room to watch/catch-up on the Phillies game (Game 2 Phillies vs Cin Reds). Dad DVRs all the games and watches them at night. We watched it on the DVR trying to catch up to the end. It was a good game....especially since they won 7-4. :woohoo:

DH had some video of our summer vacation and the cruise we all went on to show Dad. We showed him that and some of Bubba's testing for his 3rd degree black belt in TKD. I think we stayed up visiting till 12:30am...waaaaay past all our bedtimes. But, being there for only 1 night, we wanted to make the most out of our visit. :goodvibes

RVGal 10-28-2010 09:58 PM

I'm here! :wave:

Great start and score on the convertible.

Waiting for more.




macraven 10-28-2010 10:31 PM

i'm in......

tlinus 10-29-2010 07:19 AM

here I am!!!

It's a Brab trippie!!! :woohoo::yay::woohoo::yay:

LilKintnerBoy 10-29-2010 03:37 PM

I'm excited... looking forward to seeing how this all turns out... scary so far

rpbert1 10-29-2010 04:58 PM

A nice start, and looooovvvveeee the car, would love one of those , but not really practical for us.
looking forward to the rest.
LilKintnerBoy- is their bits that are a blur to you:confused3:rotfl2:

wegs3000 10-29-2010 07:51 PM

I love your trip reports! Please lots of PBH pics.

tink1957 10-29-2010 08:53 PM

:cool1:Woohoo another Barb trip report...let the fun begin.

keishashadow 10-29-2010 09:18 PM

good start barb:thumbsup2

the ride suits you, i thing you should buy one!

LilKintnerBoy 10-31-2010 12:43 AM


Originally Posted by rpbert1 (Post 38767184)
LilKintnerBoy- is their bits that are a blur to you:confused3:rotfl2:

It was a weekend without the boy... there were a few blurry spots for ALL of us :rolleyes1

rpbert1 10-31-2010 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by LilKintnerBoy (Post 38780487)
It was a weekend without the boy... there were a few blurry spots for ALL of us :rolleyes1

its amazing how the kids keep the parents under control:rotfl2:

bubba's mom 10-31-2010 10:02 PM

Day 2 - Saturday, October 9, 2010

That said, we were up early the next morning. Showered, dressed and after a bit more working on computers and printers, we had some breakfast. We did do some leisure visiting too before we left, so it wasn't ALL "work" for DH :upsidedow

Around lunchtime it was time to go. I had to take some pix of our cool rental car for Bubba before we left Dad's.
Front of car. Rear of car. Putting the top down: just about half way...almost there... and TA-DA! Here's two pix of the inside front seat: 1 and 2. Just because Bubba wouldn't believe me, I also took a pic of the backseat (with the subwoofer IN it) and the trunk with it's limited space. In order for him to understand exactly how small the trunk was, I took a picture of our (carry-on) bag IN the trunk. He was pretty shocked it was that the trunk and in the backseat!
DH & I left probably around 12:30 or so...headed for PBH at Universal.

BIL & SIL were meeting us at PBH, so we called BIL to let him know we left Dad's and then called him again once we were about 10-15 minutes away from PBH. We stopped at our usual spot to fill the gas tank and arrived at PBH. We checked in and the parlor of our Portofino Suite was ready. (We stay in the same suite each year, so I didn't take pictures [well, till tomorrow morning anyway]. There are many pix in my 2008 and 2009 reports.) We decided to run our bags to the room before returning the car. We got to our room, and it was made up (both the bedroom and the parlor), but they were still messing around in the bedroom. We just dropped our bags on the sofa in the parlor and headed back to return the car.

We went back to the front of the hotel to get the car and drove around the corner to the Holiday Inn Express and parked in Budget spot #1. We went in and nobody was at the counter...had to wait about 5-10 minutes. Sign said the dude was helping a customer, but we knew he was really on break. He returned and was very nice with our paperwork...MUCH less hassle than the summer (which, you'll read about once I finish that TR).

We left the HIE and I stopped in across the street at the DoubleTree to make sure they did luggage hold. I explained to the lady at the desk I wanted to check in the next day very early and leave my luggage there for the day until we came back that night VERY late. I wanted to make sure they did this (because we've never stayed there before). She assured me they hold luggage. And...she also happened to mention that they were full that night (Saturday) and was a good thing we had a reservation. :thumbsup2

We left the DoubleTree and headed back to PBH. We called BIL to see what their eta was and they actually weren't that far away. DH told him we would wait for them at the entrance to PBH (at the light) and they could pick us up. We got to the entrance/light of PBH and waited about 5-10 minutes before they came cruising by. They picked us up and to the parking garage we, I mean BIL, drove.

BIL found a spot to park and they grabbed their suitcase and off to our room we went. There wasn't anyone in our bedroom, so when I put our bags on the luggage holders/racks in our room (from the sofa in the parlor), I then pulled the sheets back to inspect our bed for bedbugs. I wasn't expecting to find any, and I didn't. We all freshened up and in no time, it was off to IOA for the day. :woohoo:

We arrived via boat at CityWalk and headed to IOA. First stop was Backwater Bar for drinks. We headed in the direction of WWoHP so I could get me a frozen, but the lines were crazy long! :scared: Almost like "summertime long". I told the group to forget it..I didn't want them waiting on me. Instead we headed for FJ because BIL is the only one who hadn't been on it yet. I believe the standby time was posted at 75 minutes, but after a very steadily moving line, SIL timed our boarding the ride at 50 minutes. FJ 2 and Hogwarts.

After FJ, Filch's was crowded and butterbeer lines were still long. :guilty: We headed off to Dueling Dragons, I mean Dragon Challenge, to ride Fire, I mean, Chinese Fireball. (sorry...will always be "Fire" & DD to this old dog that you can't teach new tricks to) We didn't go on FOTH or in any stores...again, because of the lines. Seeing a lot of school-age kids, guessing the holiday weekend brought them ALL out?! :confused3

After Dragons, we headed toward the Watering Hole for Happy Hour. With no particular place to go, we headed back through JP and TL. Coming out of TL, I saw a friend of mine. I thought she was buying ice cream and I was gonna 'bust' her, but she was just getting a drink refilled. Meh...took a pic anyway. Still busted. :teeth:
AFTER I took their picture, I went over to talk with her. I told her I left her a voicemail and she said she didn't get it. Her son chimed in: "Toldja not to leave your phone in the bag Ma." :lmao: We talked about general stuff and meeting up that night. After about 10 minutes, I didn't want to hog her vacation time with her family, so they went their way, we went ours.

Our way happened to be in the direction of Spiderman. You always have to have a spin on Spidey! :charac4:

After Spidey, just walking to nowhere in particular, we headed toward Hulk. DH suggested we stop and ride Dr. Doom...something we don't do when Bubba is with us because he is not a fan of the "drop" (even tho DD shoots you 'up'). We got really good seats facing the park...wish the ride didn't go so fast so you could enjoy your view from up there a little longer.

After Doom, it was time to visit Hulk. A quick fly on Hulk is always awesome. Just love this coaster! Getting a bit rough imo, but still a great ride!

It was getting close to dinnertime, so I wanted to go to Snookers in Suess Landing to get cookies for guilt gift. :rolleyes1 He loves those chocolate chip white chunk cookies, and since he didn't get to come with us, I wanted to bring him home some. I also got him a chocolate chip chocolate covered smore and a huge peanut butter cookie w/ chocolate fudge on top of it. (back at home, he said it was delicious) I also got Mom some huge rice krispie treats and a cookie for watching Bubba & the dog for the weekend. I know she likes those, so it's a good gift for her.

So, about 5lbs later, we were on our way out of the candy store. I have been trying for 2 years to get an ice cream from Hop on Pop Ice Cream Shop. The line is always long and they are only open till 7 (for some reason?), so DH waited in line with me. When it was time for me to order, he held the bag of cookies and my camera. Since we aren't going to UO next year, this was my chance. I got a chocolate covered ice cream on a stick...for dinner! :laughing: It was good, but messy. Least I can say I've been there and had one now :teeth:

After I got my ice cream, we caught up to B&SIL and headed out to Margaritaville. SIL's parents, grandmother, sister and her baby came to meet them for dinner (SIL's folks live about 30 min from UO). I said some quick hello's and explained I wouldn't be joining them for dinner :( ...I was meeting friends. I needed to drop off all those cookies and get changed into some warmer clothes before meeting my homies. Good place to add...the weather this time of the year in Orlando/Florida is AWESOME!! Mid 80s, no humidity, sunny....just perfect. Although it is chilly in the morning and at night when the sun goes down, still beautiful days.

Back at our room at PBH, I stashed the cookies I bought into the ziplock bags I brought with me, changed clothes and freshened up. As I made my way to the boat dock, I saw a familiar face also waiting for the boat. My Keisha buddy :banana:

Jibberjabbing with her made the wait for the boat fly by...even though I tried to talk her into walking to CW, she was hearing none of it. She said her feet had "hundreds of miles on them" from her week on vacation down there and at Disney and she was done. I even offered to show her the dice. We hung out and waited for the boat.

We gabbed the whole way to CW (of course) and arrived to find Mac waiting for us right where we said we'd meet. How awesome to finally meet up! :hug:
We must have sat chatting for a couple hours easily before I called Bubba to say goodnite and we decided to move the party to the Lone Palm for margaritas. On our way! At Lone Palm, we found a table in the back where it was quieter...away from the speakers, and ordered a round of 'ritas. And talked. And talked. Ordered another round. And talked. Hammed it up for the camera (know Keish has more pix on her camera that I don't). And talked.....
Meanwhile, SIL's family had left and the 3 of them were looking for me. They wondered if we minded if they came by...not at all. They grabbed a table next to us, which was REALLY convenient. Now we had someone to watch our stuff for us while we ran to the Ladies. :lmao:

DH & crew left a while before we did. We sat and hung out for awhile longer. I think it was around 1am when we called it a night. Keisha & I walked Mac to her boat and got on our boat back to PBH. (I coulda walked, but I think Keisha woulda shot me if I even SUGGESTED we walk! :rolleyes1 )
We said our good-bye's at the boat to Mac and Keisha and I said our good-byes at the elevator when I got off (she was the floor above us). I got back to our room about 1:30am and SIL was asleep in the next room, while DH & his brother were still up in our room talking and checking something out on my laptop.

The 3 of us filled out the room service card for breakfast and I hung them out on the doors. (Being Loews Platinum and not really being at the hotel very much this trip, we needed to use our Food & Beverage credit somehow. Figured breakfast in the room was the best idea.) Hung out with BIL for a bit before saying goodnights. I think it was about 2:30am before DH & I got to bed. These late nights were killing us.

bubba's mom 10-31-2010 10:03 PM


Originally Posted by keishashadow (Post 38769389)
the ride suits you, i thing you should buy one!

no a spare $30,000 you can give me?

donaldduck352 11-01-2010 11:00 PM

Hey brab.I'm here reading your TR.Great as allways.We missed ya'll buy 1 day.Would have loved to meet up.Maybe next time!!

Kiesha,mac,you and Joyce(DW) would of had a ball at the Lone Palm with the margaritas!!

keishashadow 11-03-2010 09:37 PM


Originally Posted by bubba's mom (Post 38788621)
no a spare $30,000 you can give me?

anything for my homie :hug: (even with you mentioning the cellphone 'no-no':guilty:, bad enough i had to hear i told you so all the way out to citiwalk...who knew?). Too bad I have my 'spare' kidney already allocated for back up college tuition semi kidding:rolleyes1.

It's not that I don't 'want' to walk, somebody has to support the boat captains so they can keep their jobs. That's my story & I'm sticking to it. i do have quite a few pics i'll some post in my TR, found one of ur mr grinning widely too:laughing:.

donald - the more the margaritier:banana:, joyce is really such a sweetie

btw, it's sure nice to hear somebody got into their room early.:thumbsup2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.