The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Blue Lagoon or Atlantis? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559283)

chasingthedream 09-19-2010 10:39 PM

Blue Lagoon or Atlantis?
 
We are going on a Bahamas cruise next year for DS5 b-day, and want to do a dolphin encounter. I've read mixed reviews on Atlantis and Blue Lagoon. The only real limitation we have is that DS is still young so the deep water excursions would not be great.

Thanks in advance!

tylerandalexsmom 09-19-2010 10:46 PM

I would luv to hear responses on this too - This is our first cruise :yay: and I have always wanted to do a dolphin encounter (DH and DS could do the deep water swim, I could swim well enough if I had to, but DD will do much better with the encounter). But trying to decide whether to go for the encounter with the Discover Atlantis combo day, or the encounter with the Blue Lagoon day. Any thoughts on which is better?

tinkmom2 09-20-2010 08:35 AM

We are doing the Dolphin Encounter vs. Atlantis. The Dolphin Encounter is always something we wanted to do. My girls aren't really that into water slides. Plus we have a lot of water parks about a hour and half from us. I have 4 and 11 year old DD's. Price wise I checked on renting Comfort Suites and you get free admission to Atlantis. It was a bit less than the Dolphin Encounter but I hear they also add a lot of room fees. So we are putting money away for it now and will prepay our shipboard account like we always do so we don't have to worry about it. I am also buying a underwater camera specifically for the Encounter. My thought also is you can use Cabbage beach for free. I find it funny you have the ocean there and would go to a water park.

tylerandalexsmom 09-20-2010 09:00 AM

Oh, we're definitely going to do the Dolphin Encounter, but I meant one of those combo packages -- where you get to do the dolphin thing, and then you do other stuff too -- like at Atlantis, you can do the Atlantis waterpark - not really what I want to do; or Discover Atlantis - which sounds more like aquarium and beach time; vs. the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter and beach day combo. So in otherwords - is Atlantis dolphin encounter and beach day better, or is Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter and beach day better? (Clear as mud?):confused3

BTW, what kind of underwater camera? One of the disposable kind, or a keeper? I am planning on buying a waterproof camera by then, and just started trying to research what kind to get. Any particular brands or features looking good?

cmb048 09-20-2010 09:36 AM

My family did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter when we cruised this past August and had a great time. We did the Dolphin Encounter instead of the Dolphin Swim because my daughter (9 yrs old) was not liking the thought of being pushed through the water by a dolphin during the swim. In fact...my son (12 yrs old) wasn't so sure about it either. Our group for the Dolphin Encounter had four families. Everyone had a turn dancing, rubbing and feeding the dolphin and getting a "kiss." Those that wanted could also rub its tongue and feel its teeth. A couple of the families in our group didn't follow directions too well and we could tell the trainer was getting frustrated. We were patient and let everyone else go before us. The trainer said since we were patient and were the last group, we were going to get a little extra time with the dolphins. The trainer had the dolphin go get a "present" for my daughter. The trainer said sometimes the dolphin comes back with a live present.:scared1: This time it brought back a stone from the bottom of the lagoon and gave it to my daughter. We also did a "beached dolphin" photo which was extra but well worth it. Basically, they have a dolphin hop out of the water onto a wet mat and you have a picture taken with it. It will make a great Christmas card picture. After the Dolphin Encounter, you can go and use there beach which looked very nice. Not crowded at all. We were told that some of the beach scenes from the movie Splash were filmed there.

tinkmom2 09-20-2010 11:49 AM

I am looking for a keeper underwater camera. I have a Kodak Easy Share and it takes good pictures but is several years old and cannot be used underwater. I am leaning toward the fugi underwater camera.
Here's a thread that has some pic and reviews.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rwater+cameras

Princessandthemommy 09-20-2010 12:02 PM

Are you all booking your dolphin encounter through DCL or on your own through Blue Lagoon on your own.

cmb048 09-20-2010 12:15 PM

I booked our Dolphin Encounter via DCL.

RN_Mom 09-20-2010 12:53 PM

We did the BLue Lagoone Dolphin encounter with DD3 in May-WE LOVED IT:love:. The trainer was hilarious and my daughter still talks about the dolphin spitting water in daddys face:rotfl:. We didnt stick around after for the beach cuz we were hoping to exlore Nassaus history:eek:. Husband wasnt prepared for the "culture" so we headed back to the ship

On another note, I recently bought a playsport handheld Video camera... I LLOOOVVVEE IT! Cant wait to take it on a cruise....it is waterproof and does pictures and video. Its just a bit bigger then a cell phone. I paid like 129 for it and it was the best thing i bought recently

tylerandalexsmom 09-20-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb048 (Post 38292837)
My family did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter when we cruised this past August and had a great time. We did the Dolphin Encounter instead of the Dolphin Swim because my daughter (9 yrs old) was not liking the thought of being pushed through the water by a dolphin during the swim. In fact...my son (12 yrs old) wasn't so sure about it either. Our group for the Dolphin Encounter had four families. Everyone had a turn dancing, rubbing and feeding the dolphin and getting a "kiss." Those that wanted could also rub its tongue and feel its teeth. A couple of the families in our group didn't follow directions too well and we could tell the trainer was getting frustrated. We were patient and let everyone else go before us. The trainer said since we were patient and were the last group, we were going to get a little extra time with the dolphins. The trainer had the dolphin go get a "present" for my daughter. The trainer said sometimes the dolphin comes back with a live present.:scared1: This time it brought back a stone from the bottom of the lagoon and gave it to my daughter. We also did a "beached dolphin" photo which was extra but well worth it. Basically, they have a dolphin hop out of the water onto a wet mat and you have a picture taken with it. It will make a great Christmas card picture. After the Dolphin Encounter, you can go and use there beach which looked very nice. Not crowded at all. We were told that some of the beach scenes from the movie Splash were filmed there.

Thanks cmb048! I really appreciate all the detail in your info! I know we want to do it, but now I really can't wait! :woohoo: And thanks for the tip on the "beached dolphin" photo!

tylerandalexsmom 09-20-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RN_Mom (Post 38295525)
We did the BLue Lagoone Dolphin encounter with DD3 in May-WE LOVED IT:love:. The trainer was hilarious and my daughter still talks about the dolphin spitting water in daddys face:rotfl:. We didnt stick around after for the beach cuz we were hoping to exlore Nassaus history:eek:. Husband wasnt prepared for the "culture" so we headed back to the ship

On another note, I recently bought a playsport handheld Video camera... I LLOOOVVVEE IT! Cant wait to take it on a cruise....it is waterproof and does pictures and video. Its just a bit bigger then a cell phone. I paid like 129 for it and it was the best thing i bought recently

:thumbsup2 Luv the encounter info!

Is the brand playsport? How do the pictures do?

tylerandalexsmom 09-20-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkmom2 (Post 38294632)
I am looking for a keeper underwater camera. I have a Kodak Easy Share and it takes good pictures but is several years old and cannot be used underwater. I am leaning toward the fugi underwater camera.
Here's a thread that has some pic and reviews.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rwater+cameras

Thanks, I'll take a look - is it fast? I have my "good" camera (canon 30D) for speed, and then my "point & shoot" (nikon coolpix) for size & convenience - (but I hate how slow it is). So I want a waterproof that's small but fast! (I know, I don't ask for much.....:rolleyes1)

cmb048 09-20-2010 03:47 PM

You're welcome, tylerandalexsmom! If you have any other questions, just let me know.

RN_Mom 09-20-2010 05:22 PM

Sorry should have been more specific about the camera... Kodak Playsport. I think the stills are just fine. Havent had it long. It takes HD video and like 5.1 megapixel stills. The video is mainly what I bought it for but even the underwater pics are great. :thumbsup2

TraciM 09-21-2010 07:35 AM

Sorry for chiming in on your thread. We are going to Nassau next year and I am considering doing this as a surprise for my kids. They have asked the past 2 cruises so I guess it is time. LOL After the dolphin encounter on Blue Lagoon do you spend the remainder of the day at the beach? How much time does it occupy? Could we have the best of both worlds? LOL If we don’t do the encounter than I am looking at the beach day. We have previously been to Nassau so “sightseeing” is of no interest to me. Any information would be great. TIA!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.