The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Disney on Broadway (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2506043)

kelseighrox925 07-10-2010 02:42 PM

Disney on Broadway

Here's the place to discuss favorite Disney plays, musicals, and Disney films you want to see turned into Broadway shows.

scarscar93 07-15-2010 08:03 PM

I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

I nominate a Song of the South stage adaptation. Yeah, yeah, there's been racial controversy about the movie, but look at what you can get away with on Broadway.

ClassyChic 07-16-2010 04:28 PM

scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?

I'd love to see The Little Mermaid on stage as well, I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it looks really good.

scarscar93 07-18-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassyChic (Post 37416242)
scarscar93 Really a Toy Story musical?

I'm not entirely sure how elaborate or promoted it'll be, but I was flipping channels and when I got to Disney Channel there was a snippet mentioning a TS musical in the works.

It made me sad.

jpink23 07-21-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarscar93 (Post 37404983)
I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

as far as i know, the toy story musical was one of their short musicals that disney is putting on one of the new cruise ships. (my friend auditioned for it and got a few callbacks too)

and if you get a chance, see mary poppins! not the best broadway musical that i have seen but you will have so much fun and be BLOWN AWAY by some of the stunts they do.

ps. i have heard pretty solid rumors of hunchback being the next broadway show :D hopefully that'll be a long awaited dream come true

disEAR 07-22-2010 01:27 AM

We saw the traveling version of The Lion King Broadway show last week and it simply blew us away. I have very limited experience with Broadway shows but must say the music, effects, performances and choreography left my jaw on the floor.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AmandaSparks730 07-22-2010 07:05 AM

I don't know about you, but I think the Hunchback of Notre Dame would be an INCREDIBLE musical. The music is very, very theatrical (especially The Bells of Notre Dame), and the plot is killer. I can imagine it being somewhat Phantom of the Opera-esque, very dramatic, but very pretty and moving.

Seeing The Lion King for the second time next February (the tour version again). I've seen Beauty and the Beast 3 times, though, and I loved it.

I enjoy the Tarzan soundtrack very much, wish it would tour. Not too crazy about Mary Poppins, and The Little Mermaid is iffy.

jpink23 07-22-2010 09:34 AM

really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.

AmandaSparks730 07-22-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpink23 (Post 37493885)
really? not to crazy about mp? have you seen it live?

i am in love with lion king and i am pretty sure that b&b was my favorite on broadway. it was the first show i had ever seen done though at a young age so i am pretty loyal to it haha. but next to those two, aida was simply amazing as well. not a disney story, but i am so glad that they produced it.

I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.

jpink23 07-22-2010 04:33 PM

understadable. i hate the london cast soundtrack, and i was pretty unhappy with jolly holiday, but the show as a whole was a pleasant surprise! a friend and i were up in new york one day not planning on seeing a show and spur of the moment decided seeing one haha and that was the closest theatre, so we went for it! if you get a chance, see it live. not as visually stunning as some of their others, but defiantly worth it.

Queenofspoons 07-22-2010 04:41 PM

I heard rumors that the Burton version of Alice in Wonderland is going to be made into a musical, their is one problem with this: How are they going to do the shrinking and streaching live on stage? :confused3

alisonwonderland64 07-22-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 (Post 37496993)
I've seen countless video clips, including parade/TV performances. I also have the OLC soundtrack, and I'm not fond of listening to it. There's something about the newer songs that irks me...they bore me a bit, to be honest. I don't know. I guess I just prefer The Lion King.

Definitely try to see it if you can, the cast recording doesn't do the show justice I don't think. I've seen Mary Poppins twice now (once in London, once on Broadway) and really enjoyed it both times, but I barely ever listen to the cast recording because it's just not that interesting--the songs work SO much better in context, in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of rumors about Disney making Dumbo into a musical (http://www.playbill.com/news/article...ly-on-Broadway), which I'm pretty skeptical about...it seems like kind of a strange choice to me, but I guess you never know. I also remember hearing a rumor somewhere that they might bring Newsies to the stage, which I think is a great idea...that movie definitely would work as a musical.

Personally, I'm hoping the Hunchback rumors are true, I agree that that would be a great musical! I think it already is a musical in Germany, but I'd love to see it come to America. Either that or Aladdin.

jpink23 07-23-2010 12:14 PM

I have heard the Newsies rumor as well! lol but that was just from a friend that is a little theatre crazy and i think wants that to happen more than anything. and i have heard about the aladdin musical, but i think that is supposed to be for the disneyland in california. i heard it is being written by the same people who wrote the finding nemo musical for the parks.

ClassyChic 07-23-2010 04:46 PM

@ JPink23 I've heard a lot of good things about the Mary Poppins musical!
I've never seen a musical live before and I'm hoping one day I'll be able to.

thisonegirl 07-25-2010 07:56 AM

I thought I was the only one who heard anything about Dumbo. Interesting choice, I'd say....

HoND has been a rumor for a while now. Apparently, it has been in Germany, but it is very dark, and they're trying to edit the darker themes out. I wish they would keep the darker elements in....

Though I could imagine, the sets would be gorgeous!