The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Collectors Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Signs of Scrappers (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2497475)

MountNittany 06-28-2010 03:11 PM

Signs of Scrappers

A lot of people post questions about how to identify scrappers, so here is a list of some common signs that you have a scrapper. Please post any additional thoughts you have. Also, please refer to the Good/Bad Internet and eBay Pin Sellers Thread to avoid buying scrappers to trade in the first place.

What we mean by Scrapper
  • Lighter weight
  • Off-coloration
  • Dimples in paint
  • Font on backstamp is different than legit pins
  • Rough edges
  • Holes that are cut out on legit pins are filled in with silver (check the picture on PinPics.com)
  • Inaccurate information on the back (check PinPics)
  • Official logo that is out of proportion (compare to a bought rack pin)
  • Oily smell
  • Backstamp crooked
  • If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper. (thanks pixiewings71)

MountNittany 06-28-2010 04:04 PM

If anyone can back me up, if you look carefully at the pin trading logo, the scrappers have a grainy background (like the finish of the pin) inside of the mickey head enclosed area, while the real pins have a flat finish in this area. Did anyone else spot this?

Also, the font is often off or rough looking.

pixiewings71 06-28-2010 05:02 PM

If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper.

MountNittany 06-28-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiewings71 (Post 37175446)
If your pin has Mickey Heads stamped into the back the heads should go off the edges....if your pin has a "lip" around the edge it is a scrapper.

Thanks I forgot that... I'll add it too

MountNittany 06-29-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountNittany (Post 37174604)
If anyone can back me up, if you look carefully at the pin trading logo, the scrappers have a grainy background (like the finish of the pin) inside of the mickey head enclosed area, while the real pins have a flat finish in this area. Did anyone else spot this?

Also, the font is often off or rough looking.

Nevermind, all of my 2009 Fastpasses have a grainy background enclosed by the mickey head.

PhantomVirus 07-01-2010 11:25 PM

While I try to not cross boards/boundaries here is an article I wrote - with photos - showing a real vs counterfeit pin and the now infamous bordered edge vs. clean cut.

h t t p : / / w a l t s b a s e m e n t . y u k u . c o m / t o p i c / 1 1 2 0 9

MountNittany 07-03-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomVirus (Post 37220799)
While I try to not cross boards/boundaries here is an article I wrote - with photos - showing a real vs counterfeit pin and the now infamous bordered edge vs. clean cut.

h t t p : / / w a l t s b a s e m e n t . y u k u . c o m / t o p i c / 1 1 2 0 9

Thanks for your link. With your permission I will copy the pics over and give you full credit (is this okay?)

GoofyTraci 07-04-2010 11:25 PM

does anyone have a copy of two of the same pins that are one a scrapper and one offical? I am not understanding all of this and want to see what the difference may be side by side. thanks

Spiffie 07-05-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomVirus (Post 37220799)

does anyone have a copy of two of the same pins that are one a scrapper and one offical? I am not understanding all of this and want to see what the difference may be side by side. thanks

If you remove the extra spaces in the above link, he has pictures of both types in his article. Very helpful and easy read.

kate_wdw 07-23-2010 02:11 PM

Scrappers - Then & Now, Piece of Disney History

Oops...posted in the wrong place.

Sorry!

Dom13 07-24-2010 06:20 AM

I have often found that scrappers have a rough or matte (flat) finish. The paint on legitimate pins should be shiny.

MountNittany 07-28-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom13 (Post 37519712)
I have often found that scrappers have a rough or matte (flat) finish. The paint on legitimate pins should be shiny.

For most, yes, I have found that too.

Also, most scrappers show brushstrokes down through the pin. I have seen some real pins with faint lines, but not many.

jkluttrell 07-29-2010 05:48 PM

Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?

pixiewings71 07-29-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrell (Post 37597088)
Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?

I have done that before and the CM was fine with it. :)

blockscrappers 07-30-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrell (Post 37597088)

Another good recommendation is to ask the CM if the pin you are looking at was one they started the day with or was is it one that they traded during the day. Keep in mind this is not foolproof.