The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cooking in your room??? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495311)

meeksx5 06-25-2010 09:33 AM

Cooking in your room???

This is my first on site stay at Disney. We are staying at the All Stars Movie Resort. I have seen swaps with toasters mentioned. I am pretty sure that cooking in the rooms are not allowed but hey when you are on a budget you do what you have to do. ;) That being said I was wondering if anytone had ever taken a small microwave? I was just thinking of all the frozen stuff I could reheat in the microwave. Anyone with suggestions .... toaster vs microwave.

powellrj 06-25-2010 10:38 AM

Just use the toaster and microwave in the food courts. I guess my next question is how do you plan on storing all your frozen food?

dzorn 06-25-2010 10:38 AM

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2488011

This thread may give you a clue how some feel.

Denise in MI

dzorn 06-25-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeksx5 (Post 37136233)
This is my first on site stay at Disney. We are staying at the All Stars Movie Resort. I have seen swaps with toasters mentioned. I am pretty sure that cooking in the rooms are not allowed but hey when you are on a budget you do what you have to do. ;) That being said I was wondering if anytone had ever taken a small microwave? I was just thinking of all the frozen stuff I could reheat in the microwave. Anyone with suggestions .... toaster vs microwave.

With that in mind if I think something is not allowed I don't do it. Just like with my kids if they know a rule but follow you do what you have to does not result is good things.

If you are new to the boards:welcome:

Warning: Given your post count and topic you should be prepared to be labled a troll given you already stated you don't care about the rules.

Denise in MI

meeksx5 06-25-2010 10:47 AM

Thanks powellrj! I wasn't sure how the Disney resort would feel if I used their microwave to heat up a Hot Pocket or something of that nature.Are the microwaves and toasters in an area that is available to visitors at most times. Suppose my DD2 wants a snack at 9:00? I really didn't want to cook in our rooms but I didn't want to get ugly looks for obviously being a cheapie when using the toaster or microwave to heat my grocery store bought breakfast/lunch.

okeydokey 06-25-2010 11:09 AM

You can always use the microwaves in the food court.

here757 06-25-2010 11:11 AM

WOAH!! HERE WE GO AGAIN
popcorn::

kaytieeldr 06-25-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Are the microwaves and toasters in an area that is available to visitors at most times.
Food courts are open from about 6 AM to midnight.

meeksx5 06-25-2010 02:19 PM

Gosh, pretty harsh post ... to be called a troll.:sad1: lol The reason I said that was I had actually read that someone had take a microwave and cooked in their room. Or perhaps it was the family in the room next complaining of the food smells wafting from the room next door. I was more curious about the availability of toasters and microwave at the resort. I didn't know if a guest could use them to heat or reheat non Disney purchased food.

maxiesmom 06-25-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeksx5 (Post 37139784)
Gosh, pretty harsh post ... to be called a troll.:sad1: lol The reason I said that was I had actually read that someone had take a microwave and cooked in their room. Or perhaps it was the family in the room next complaining of the food smells wafting from the room next door. I was more curious about the availability of toasters and microwave at the resort. I didn't know if a guest could use them to heat or reheat non Disney purchased food.

You sure can use them! Much better than potentially smelling up a whole block of rooms, don't you think?;)

I have to ask, how do you plan on keeping your hot pockets frozen? Do some of the swap fridges have freezers too?:confused3

r&kmommy 06-25-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmom (Post 37140071)
You sure can use them! Much better than potentially smelling up a whole block of rooms, don't you think?;)

I have to ask, how do you plan on keeping your hot pockets frozen? Do some of the swap fridges have freezers too?:confused3

The fridge I had waaaaaay back when I was pregnant with ds trip (so, 8.5 years ago!) my fridge had a small (and I mean SMALL!!!) freezer ... it was the width of the fridge, but about 6 or 8" tall...

meeksx5 06-25-2010 03:00 PM

Our little fridge has a freezer compartment. Sounds like the one that r&kmommy had. And again all this is speculation as far as keeping things frozen... I wonder if the freezer and cooler with blocks of ice will work. If not, can dry ice keep food frozen? lol

A Mickeyfan 06-25-2010 03:01 PM

I believe it is a fire hazard with the electrical ampage or something. If you remotely realize it isn't allowed, why would "you do what you have to do" when on a budget and knowingly break the rule. You would be in for a big budget buster if they catch you and throw you out.. no refunds either for having to be removed from the resort.. I would add that figure into my budget while taking my microwave...

MEM 06-25-2010 03:19 PM

Dear OP,

The topic of cooking in one's room is a sensitive subject because there are those guests who think that Disney's rules are negotiable/suggestions/don't apply to them. The cast members will not hassle you for using the toasters and microwaves in the food court. The problem of keeping your food frozen is something to consider - you don't want to mess around with dry ice. The way I handle traveling on a budget is to eat like a miser while I am at home and increase the food portion of my vacation budget so that I can eat out two meals a day and eat breakfast in the room. There are TONS of threads on these boards about how to eat well at WDW on a budget.

Cindyrellablue 06-25-2010 03:28 PM

There's always those microwavable meals that don't have to be frozen. You can take them over to the food court, cook them up over there and not worry about storing perishable foods in your room that could cause smell issues and attract insects.