The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408141)

Fantasmic23 02-27-2010 11:06 PM

How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people
 
::mad: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! :yay: But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.

jog58 02-27-2010 11:11 PM

I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that :lmao:

Fantasmic23 02-27-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jog58 (Post 35627378)
I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that :lmao:

Thanks!! I love that, especially the "leave our horizons narrow"!! :rotfl:

gabriellyn 02-27-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 (Post 35627335)
::mad: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! :yay: But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY about my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? :goodvibes Good luck!

jog58 02-27-2010 11:17 PM

Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania. :wizard:

Fantasmic23 02-27-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabriellyn (Post 35627402)
LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? :goodvibes Good luck!

Yes, the "It's a tradition" might definitely work, especially with DH's family! They're very big on tradition. :)

Fantasmic23 02-27-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jog58 (Post 35627426)
Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania. :wizard:

Yes! It's like they were having a great day ... And then you came along and mentioned that you were going back to Disney.

Definite Disneymania here! DH has caught the Disney Fever, too.

C&G'sMama 02-28-2010 12:47 AM

I'm with the Jersey Shore, Cape Cod person. I've said the same thing. It's our "insert the person's yearly vacation spot here". I think there's this belief that it's very extravegant. Quite frankly it can cost as little or as much as you want it to, just like going to "insert the person't yearly vacation spot here".

Although at this point we've been going so long (see my signature) we really don't get "the look" anymore.

Disneyadore 02-28-2010 01:06 AM

I guess we are lucky. Living in a mostly cold and wet part of the world we are always told they envy us.

Every time I tell we go to WDW they get a certain glance in there eyes and say:" Wow, lucky you flying to warm Florida and visiting WDW". :lmao:

disney_family_1247 02-28-2010 01:28 AM

I HATE that. We travel often. DH gets 3 weeks of vacation, and we spend 1 of them in WDW. Yet people far and wide act like it's the only place we go. We go to the beach each year for at least a weekend. Why aren't we teased about that? In 2008, we were out of town for the 1st of each month for 6 months!!!!! Did anyone notice? Nope. When we went to Disney once though, they still sneered!

badblackpug 02-28-2010 02:25 AM

...."We will go anywhere you want as long as you're paying." :rotfl2:

fireman17 02-28-2010 05:11 AM

I have seen this question pop up time and time again. I always get this question here at my fire department or I get "you going back to Disney World again"?
My simple answer now to this question is,
Because I can and that usally shuts them up..:rotfl2:

happymommy 02-28-2010 05:18 AM

Look at my signature. I don't even think all the trips are there...


They simply stopped asking about two years ago.... They think I'm certifiable. I'm glad!

Oh, and we also go to Hawaii every two years (it's a long flight, and yes we did go in 2008 and 2009, but I can't endure even in first class that every year!). They don't question that trip!

I think many folks think Disney is something you may do once. My in-laws went once, over MEMORIAL DAY weekend. Just the weekend. Stayed in a rental house, after we told them if it's just for a weekend and a busy one at that, they need to stay in a Disney resort. I think they only did MK. My DBil complained that all they did was stand in lines. Oh, and they spent one day at Cocoa Beach and of course my DSil had to outlet shop. Even though we live close to the Delaware outlets (which she goes to regularly). They had no plans, and really didn't seem to enjoy it (duh?). So they don't understand how much fun we have there! Oh well.

ms_missy66 02-28-2010 07:21 AM

Grrrr...those people make me nuts. I usually smile and say something like, "Yep! I'm sure we'll outgrow it one day, but not yet! We just love it there!" and that's it. I have a few friends who are Dis addicts also and they tend to over-explain to the naysayer. ("Well when we went our 5th time, we had a code that made it super inexpensive and so we couldn't resist, but then our son was only 13 months and seemed to have so much fun, so when the opportunity came to go six months later, went for it thinking it would be the last time in awhile but then this spring when our daughter asked if we could go I just couldn't say no...besides, this time we were going to Sear World. Blah blah blah)

I'm a fan of short and sweet.

tlh0726 02-28-2010 07:29 AM

I get more comments about all the stuff that I am making (shirts, pressed penny tubes, autograph book, passports, etc) than I get about where we are going.

I stopped including the ones that make the comments in my emails when I send out a completed project. I have had 2 thus far come back and say that a mutual friend loved the pressed penny tubes, that they missed that email. I replied, oh! I must have misunderstood your last response, I thought you no longer wanted to be on the listing, I will put you back on.

As for the going again comments, I just smile and say yeah aren't we just the luckiest people only (fill in the blank) days to go!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.