The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Adventures By Disney (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Gateway Trips (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2376020)

sayhello 01-19-2010 10:56 AM

Gateway Trips
 
Whoa Nellie! Did I miss something, or did these just show up? I was looking at the Signature Italy trip vs the Viva Italia trip on the website (for a response to another post) when I suddenly realized, there's a GATEWAY Italy trip listed, also! They have a comparison page up, listing the differences between the Signature & regular Italy trips, and there it was! Gateway to Italy!

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/g...ComparisonPage

And it's under the drop-down, too.

Also a Gateway to London & Paris and a Gateway to Costa Rica!

Here's the page that lists all 3:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/r...wayLandingPage

I'll be back after I read through all the descriptions!

Sayhello

Tozzie 01-19-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 35070590)
Whoa Nellie! Did I miss something, or did these just show up? I was looking at the Signature Italy trip vs the Viva Italia trip on the website (for a response to another post) when I suddenly realized, there's a GATEWAY Italy trip listed, also! They have a comparison page up, listing the differences between the Signature & regular Italy trips, and there it was! Gateway to Italy!

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/g...ComparisonPage

And it's under the drop-down, too.

Also a Gateway to London & Paris and a Gateway to Costa Rica!

Here's the page that lists all 3:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/r...wayLandingPage

I'll be back after I read through all the descriptions!

Sayhello


Those just showed up as they were not on the website yesterday when I was on it. There is a link on the ABD home page to the gateway collection

minniebeth 01-19-2010 11:29 AM

I literally just received an email introducing it and came here to find out the scoop. It'll be interesting to do some comparisons.

Bobo912 01-19-2010 12:07 PM

I wish they were offering more than just the 3 trips. We've already taken one of these and the other two weren't on the top of our list. Although, I'm sure we would love either of them. I haven't had time to look closely (I'm supposed to be working!) but the first thing that jumped out at me was no return transfer to the airport.

sayhello 01-19-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo912 (Post 35071690)
I wish they were offering more than just the 3 trips. We've already taken one of these and the other two weren't on the top of our list. Although, I'm sure we would love either of them. I haven't had time to look closely (I'm supposed to be working!) but the first thing that jumped out at me was no return transfer to the airport.

Yes, the lack of return transfer was one of the first things I noticed also (along with the facts that the Italy trip is a day shorter than the regular trip, and the group size is increased to 50). I know a lot of people (me included) consider the airport transfers to be pretty important.

I'm sure if these are successful, they'll expand the offerings. At least they've learned not to be overly-ambitious.

I'd love to hear input from folks who've taken the regular versions of these trips, and whether they thought the missing activities were ho-hum, or a big part of the trip. (Like the England & Paris trip does not include the VIP seats for the Lion King, or the backstage tour. That looked like a great activity, and was one of the things I was really looking forward to when I was planning to take that trip. High tea at Harrods? Not so much.)

Sayhello

Bobo912 01-19-2010 12:27 PM

Looking at the Costa Rica trip, the big difference is that you go to Tortuguero instead of Manual Antonio. So you're on the Atlantic coast instead of the Pacific. So maybe all the transportation is by bus and the difference in price is the internal airfare to the west coast. They still have airport transfers both ways. The only activity that was dropped was the gourd painting and the coffee plantation is replaced with the aerial tram tour. And of course you go to Tortuguero park instead of Manuel Antonio. So you get to see the sea turtles on the gateway trip. Almost makes me want to go again.

jomat 01-19-2010 04:20 PM

This is my first post. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this ABD discussion forum and gained a lot of information about all the ABD trips that I have not done so far. My opinion on the comparison of the Gateway and regular trips as far as the London/Paris trip is concerned is that the high points were definitely the Lion King Broadway show and the trip to Versailles. The high tea at Harrods was good too though I would not miss that too much.

sayhello 01-19-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomat (Post 35075487)
This is my first post. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this ABD discussion forum and gained a lot of information about all the ABD trips that I have not done so far. My opinion on the comparison of the Gateway and regular trips as far as the London/Paris trip is concerned is that the high points were definitely the Lion King Broadway show and the trip to Versailles. The high tea at Harrods was good too though I would not miss that too much.

Thanks, jomat, and welcome! I had a feeling that was true about the London/Paris trip...

Sayhello

sayhello 01-19-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo912 (Post 35071998)
Looking at the Costa Rica trip, the big difference is that you go to Tortuguero instead of Manual Antonio. So you're on the Atlantic coast instead of the Pacific. So maybe all the transportation is by bus and the difference in price is the internal airfare to the west coast. They still have airport transfers both ways. The only activity that was dropped was the gourd painting and the coffee plantation is replaced with the aerial tram tour. And of course you go to Tortuguero park instead of Manuel Antonio. So you get to see the sea turtles on the gateway trip. Almost makes me want to go again.

So did you *not* see the sea turtles on the regular trip? I guess I don't get a feel for if the substitutions are better, worse or equivalent?

Sayhello

disneytraveler 01-19-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 35075637)
Thanks, jomat, and welcome! I had a feeling that was true about the London/Paris trip...

Sayhello

The Italy trip does not have return transfer also. The hotels are different to. I took the Vivia Italia tour not the signature one. Some of the activites are different to or are not included with the gateway.

Bobo912 01-19-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 35075665)
So did you *not* see the sea turtles on the regular trip? I guess I don't get a feel for if the substitutions are better, worse or equivalent?

Sayhello

There may be some sea turtles on the Pacific coast, but not where the ABD trip goes. When we were in Costa Rica, they told us the sea turtles were hatching at Tortuguero. But you have to be there at the right time to see them laying their eggs or hatching anyway. I think both trips look good. I didn't check out the accommodations though. I loved the Arenal Kioro, but the substitute hotel at Arenal may be good too. I think the Gateway tour is similar to the Tauck Bridges Costa Rica trip.

minniebeth 01-19-2010 07:13 PM

While the Gateway trips looked enticing at first, particularly the prices, I can see them being more for repeat customers who are already familiar and comfortable touring the destinations. As a first timer to Europe, I think I'd rather wait and save the money and spend it on having more tour guide time, less time on my own, and things like airport transfers, etc.
As with many things, you get what you pay for. It might be a while before we ever get there, but we think we will stick with the trips with more service.

Tozzie 01-19-2010 07:48 PM

I just compared the itineraries and to be quite honest , they don't appeal to me at all. Aside from the lack of return airport transfers (very important to me) There are many things offered on the regular trips that I would not want to miss, for instance if I were going to Paris, I would want a tour of the Effiel Tower not just have lunch there, the regular trip has the tour the gateway does not. I am sure they will appeal to people who want a lower cost trip or more on your own time but for me I think the regular trips are better.

DisFan10 01-19-2010 08:01 PM

I also prefer the regular itineraries. Plus, I'm not sure I'd enjoy being in a group of 50...

Bobo912 01-19-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tozzie (Post 35078412)
I just compared the itineraries and to be quite honest , they don't appeal to me at all. Aside from the lack of return airport transfers (very important to me) There are many things offered on the regular trips that I would not want to miss, for instance if I were going to Paris, I would want a tour of the Effiel Tower not just have lunch there, the regular trip has the tour the gateway does not. I am sure they will appeal to people who want a lower cost trip or more on your own time but for me I think the regular trips are better.

I agree with Tozzie. The Costa Rica initerary isn't really less, it's just different. But for the other two, if I'm going to pay the high airfare to Europe and several thousand for the tour, I would rather go ahead and pay extra for all the bells and whistles. The exclusive tours and behind the scenes activities are a big part of the experience.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.