The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   W.I.S.H (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   C25K! Anyone else in? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2370270)

willonlyflytodisney 01-12-2010 11:57 AM

C25K! Anyone else in?

Hey guys,

I thought there was a thread awhile back for people doing the Couch to 5K program but I can't seem to find it. So, I thought I'd start one myself.

I've always dreamed of running a race since I was younger but always thought I was too fat to do it. But, I'm doing Couch to 5K in hopes of fulfilling my dreams someday!

More info on the C25K program here

I guess if there are people still doing the program, we could make a list here of where everyone is along the way.

Anyway, my goal is to run a 5K on April 18th in Boston.

What's your goal?

dkostel 01-12-2010 02:38 PM

Hello,
C25K is a great program, very do able. I recommend the c25K podcast (search couch to 5k) in itunes. It is music which the author / podcaster talks over to tell you when to run/walk. The music is decent and changes tempo when you do.
I started c25k in Spring 2008, ran my first 5k in July 08 and just did my first marathon Sunday. It is VERY cliche, but if I can do it anyone can.
Best of luck to you:thumbsup2

PeterPan09 01-14-2010 11:58 AM

Does the podcast start with the 5 minute warm-up or does it go right to the "wogging" part?

amarberry 01-14-2010 04:55 PM

:wave2: Hi! It's my first time posting over here, so I'm a little nervous. I feel like I'm outing myself in the diet/exercise world that I am normally pretty tight lipped about.

I'm on week 3 of the c25k. I've been exercising regularly since Mother's Day last year (mostly spin and step classes) and have lost between 25-30 pounds. Sadly, I have about another 20 to my goal weight. :rolleyes:

A couple of months ago, my very inspirational spin instructor made some comments during class about chasing our dreams, challenging ourselves, etc. and used running a race as an example. I had read about the c25k program over here (while looking for weight loss inspiration) and started thinking about maybe trying out the program. DH has always joked that I should have been an Olympic walker...I have a very fast walking pace normally! I also noticed, after a couple of months of regular cardio exercise, that my cardio endurance was much better than I ever imagined. I started to think that maybe I would enjoy running...something I never had dreamed of before.

I decided to hold off a little bit before starting, mostly because I wanted to get my weight down a little more so I wouldn't kill my knees. The goal of starting the c25k program has actually been a great inspiration for weight loss for me! I also received a heart rate monitor for Christmas and have had a lot of fun playing around with it since I started the program.

Anyhow, the first 3 weeks have gone better than I hoped. I've been following a lot of the marathon and half marathon threads with interest...so many motivational stories. I'm not really sure where c25k will lead me, but time will tell!

maiziezoe 01-14-2010 05:07 PM

I'm going to start the C25k program on February 1st. I would like to start it tomorrow but I have Lupus and I need to get my doctors permission to start the program. My doctors appointment is at the end of January. :)

My goal is to run a 5k in July during my town's annual festivities. I used to help organize the festivals' 5k, this year, I am going to run it!

jennz 01-14-2010 07:24 PM

I'm in!! What day is February 1st? I can start that day. The podcast sounds great, I was trying to figure out what to do to know when to change from walking to jogging (or picking myself up off the ground!)

cclovesdis 01-14-2010 08:17 PM

I'm in too. I did Day 1, but haven't made it any further. I'm going to start again when my new WW week starts, probably on Sat. morning after my meeting.

ZOOMAMA 01-14-2010 08:41 PM

W6d3

Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes :scared1:! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:

jennz 01-14-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA (Post 35011935)
Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes :scared1:! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:

well it's great to see your head!:rotfl: Congrats on starting back up!

::Snow_White:: 01-14-2010 10:34 PM

Sounds fun! I'm kind of editing my own set up as I go along. I'm walking 5, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2 and then walk 5 minutes at 6mph. So basically I'm around week 3, even though I've been on the program for about 4 months. I think perhaps I'm running much faster then intended or people on this program are amazing and can continue onto a new week every week! I stick with the same week for about a month! I'm about 2/3 to running a 5k in 30 minutes. I'm around 2.100 miles in 30 minutes, and my goal is 5k in 30. I don't really have a race that I need to be ready by, I'm just waiting to hit running for a full 30 minutes! Also, I use a treadmill.

Spike 01-15-2010 03:18 PM

I am doing this as well, well starting over with it :) . The plan is to run the Disneyland 5k with my Niece in September. So this with Weight Watchers I am hoping to be able to do it.

ZOOMAMA 01-15-2010 07:34 PM

Week 6 Day 3- DONE! :cool1: Felt so good! Well, when it was over anyway. :lmao: I have been running for time only and I run outdoors on a trail around our neighborhood. Once I complete the 9 weeks and can comfortably run for 30 minutes, then I plan to work on improving my pace. As of now my pace fluctuates between 9:30 and 12:00 depending on whether I'm running intervals or doing the "long" runs. The longer the slower. :) Have to say I was pretty pleased with myself (and my running partner) today. We were throwing some high fives until we realized Weeks 7, 8, and 9 don't have intervals.:laughing: Good luck everyone! Couch taters no more-unite!

3TinksAndAnEeyore 01-16-2010 02:59 AM

I want to run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September and I'm using this program to give me a structured beginning. I am on week one and I've done three days. I'm doing one more day tomorrow and then starting week two on Sunday. I am using the iPhone app and listening to an audio book while I walk/run. I love the audio prompts for when to walk and when to run!

Ronda93 01-16-2010 08:41 AM

Congratulations to all the couchers! I started C25K a year ago and did THE half marathon last Saturday. I lost about 20 pounds last year and am around 170 right now. To repeat the cliche, if I can do it.... I am slow (12:00-13:00 miles) but I can go and go.

C25K was a great way to start. Get the podcasts and get outside if you can. I know weather gets in the way, but for me getting outside is like candy. DGF and I started it to prepare for a 4 mile race and it worked! We ran the whole thing and there was no looking back!

Do it!

Ronda

DisneyMomma09 01-16-2010 09:52 AM

I did the C25K in 2008 and kept running until I got pregnant.;) Then I switched to walking. Since my son was born last May, I have not gotten back into running again and I really need to. I have been doing WW and lost all the baby weight, :cheer2: but I need to get some exercising in to get my pre-baby body back. So we got a treadmill from my DH's grandfather who did not use it and this morning I did Week 1, Day 1. It went pretty well, but I an certainly not in the shape I was pre-baby. I am hoping it comes back soon!:rolleyes: