The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports and Plans (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Feeling Grand - How to Plan a Disney Trip In 18 Days Or Less (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2369364)

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 11:24 AM

Feeling Grand - How to Plan a Disney Trip In 18 Days Or Less
 
Two words.

Grand Floridian.

That just about says it all. For those of you who don't know, that resort is my mothership. It calls to me. Much like the cursed Aztec gold calls to the pirates of the Black Pearl in the first film. I can hear the Grand Flo. Sense it. I know when it's near.

And when it's attainable?

Well, that's something I just can't resist. pirate:

Intro

17 Days And Counting

16 Days And Counting

15 Days And An Unexpected Kindness

14 Days And The Family

13 Days And What Not To Wear

12 Days And Blah

Mom And Her Rampant Enthusiasm

11 Days And Weather Or Not

TK Is Terrified

Single Digit Dance

Condo Update

The Condo

8 Days And So Need To Get My Act Together

Do You...Vera?

7 Days And How Far We've Come

6 Days And The Weekend Plans

5 Days And Oy Vey

4 Days And Mentally Ready to Go

3 Days And OMG IT'S THREE DAYS!!!

2 Days And Cranky

1 Day And Isn't It Really More Like Two?

On My Way

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 11:38 AM

Everything happens for a reason.

In order for you to understand this trip, first you must understand the trip that was not meant to be.

The fact that if we'd taken that trip, I'd be in Disney World today.

For those of you who don't know me, here's the short version.

Hi! :wave2: I'm TarzansKat, or more fondly known as TK or Kat to my DIS friends. I am a Disney loving, Captain Jack Sparrow obsessed woman. I have a wonderful husband who likes to go to Disney as much as I do, a beautiful son who will be five next month, and I'm currently expecting our second child.

My Mom, who is the other cast member on this voyage, is a Disney obsessed woman. She loves trips to Disney. She goes 3-4 times a year, has an annual pass, and has never missed a MNSSHP since their inception.

We can drive each other crazy sometimes, but when push comes to shove, we'd do anything for each other, and she is one of my best friends.

This trip is a last hurrah of sorts. And originally, it was meant to be this weekend. Our original dates were Jan 9-12, at the Wilderness Lodge. We had a fairly decent room rate.

And then it happened! It was no surprise, since DH and I planned to start trying when we arrived home from our September trip. Well, I was pregnant.

And not knowing what to expect, I told Mom we needed to cancel.

Let me tell you, quite frankly, it's a good thing we did.

I have just recently started feeling better. I've had horrible nausea, been extremely cranky, and so tired from wakinig up to go to the bathroom 5-6 times a night.

Did you know a woman in her first trimester is doing more work while she's sleeping than someone who is climbing a mountain?

Oh, yeah.

And a mountain climber, I am not. :lmao:

So we were sad, but we cancelled.

And then...in the past few days, I started to feel better.

I wasn't waking up with nausea.

I was reading LL and Jen's PTR and drooling over all the food they would eat.

I was mega stressed from looking at condos and houses and feeling like we have to move when I'm very happy where we are.

I was stressed that our town doesn't offer before or after school care for the kindergartners, and trying to figure out how to juggle the new baby and my DS.

In short, I was ready to bury my head in the sand and hang it all.

I was reading a community board thread I belong to and found out about the room rate discount. Thanks, CreativeAmanda!

Initially, I started pricing out with the public code at Port Orleans French Quarter, which I love. I miss the beignets. It was really reasonable.

So I got to thinking.

And planning tentative dates.

And booking dining.

I swear, once you book dining, it's all over.

Well, I wasn't able to get off the Saturday I wanted from work, so I did a little shuffling of flight times, a little song and dance if you will and voila.

I found dates that worked.

And then Mom pointed out that she has an annual pass.

So I went to check out those rates. Which are higher than the public code.

And darned if you don't know it, but we were able to get 45% off the Grand Floridian.

Do you know how amazing that is?

How truly, truly amazing?

It makes our stay at the Grand Flo less than rack rate for a standard room at the Wilderness Lodge.

Oh, heaven.

Oh, joy and rapture.

Oh, my dear mothership. The ladies are coming home.


Next Chapter

Normangirls 01-11-2010 12:04 PM

Yea!

Good. For. You!

I'm so happy for you that you are going on this trip. :banana:

In 18 days did you say?

Holy Toledo, Captain Jack. Get busy!

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normangirls (Post 34966009)
Yea!

Good. For. You!

I'm so happy for you that you are going on this trip. :banana:

In 18 days did you say?

Holy Toledo, Captain Jack. Get busy!

Thank you! I'm really excited.

Actually, I was able to plan this trip pretty much top to bottom in 2-3 days. Our airfare, resort package, and dining is all booked.

Now when to reveal it all.

Mwa-ha-ha.;)

Normangirls 01-11-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarzansKat (Post 34966050)
Now when to reveal it all.

Mwa-ha-ha.;)

Pirate.

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normangirls (Post 34966076)
Pirate.

And proud.

MRYPPNS 01-11-2010 12:19 PM

Ahhhhh the Grand Flo. And just a short monorail ride to the make your own Dole Whip machine!

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRYPPNS (Post 34966223)
Ahhhhh the Grand Flo. And just a short monorail ride to the make your own Dole Whip machine!

Excellent point, that.

Native NYer 01-11-2010 12:36 PM

Yay!!! You're going to have such a great time at the GF.

How are you feeling?

pipersmom 01-11-2010 12:38 PM

Woohoo..first page! Holy guacamole @ only 18 days! I'm glad you were able to re-schedule, just think of all the yummy craveable foods awaiting you. :goodvibes: I'm looking forward to seeing this one from the ground up, so to speak. And Grand Floridian..totally jealous!

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native NYer (Post 34966478)
Yay!!! You're going to have such a great time at the GF.

How are you feeling?

I am feeling much better, thank you for asking. Usually after I eat lunch, I want a nap, but I have more energy today. I think I slept a lot last night though, I can't remember what time I went to bed, but I didn't get up until 800am, and that was a downright treat. On my work days, I'm up a lot earlier.

The nausea, knock on wood, seems to be gone.

I have my very first ultrasound tomorrow, so that's exciting. My husband can't make it (we won't find out the gender until the next one, so I'd rather he be there for that), so my parents are coming, and my son. Should be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what my son thinks of an ultrasound. :lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipersmom (Post 34966502)
Woohoo..first page! Holy guacamole @ only 18 days! I'm glad you were able to re-schedule, just think of all the yummy craveable foods awaiting you. :goodvibes: I'm looking forward to seeing this one from the ground up, so to speak. And Grand Floridian..totally jealous!

First page!

I told my mother, "Mom, you know it's eighteen days, right? This is the shortest I've ever done."

She tops me. Her shortest is one week. :lmao:

I love the Grand Flo. I feel a combination excitement and denial.

Native NYer 01-11-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarzansKat (Post 34966604)
I am feeling much better, thank you for asking. Usually after I eat lunch, I want a nap, but I have more energy today. I think I slept a lot last night though, I can't remember what time I went to bed, but I didn't get up until 800am, and that was a downright treat. On my work days, I'm up a lot earlier.

The nausea, knock on wood, seems to be gone.

I have my very first ultrasound tomorrow, so that's exciting. My husband can't make it (we won't find out the gender until the next one, so I'd rather he be there for that), so my parents are coming, and my son. Should be a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what my son thinks of an ultrasound. :lmao:

Happy to hear you're feeling better.

Your son is going to love the ultrasound. He'll probably think it's so cool to see inside of mommy.

45% off the GF is an excellent deal. And 18 days is so fast to plan a trip.
We're staying at the Grand in August, so I'm curious to read about your plans and your stay. Are you planning a spa visit with your mom?

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native NYer (Post 34966707)
Happy to hear you're feeling better.

Your son is going to love the ultrasound. He'll probably think it's so cool to see inside of mommy.

I"m just hoping it doesn't freak him out. :lmao:

Quote:

45% off the GF is an excellent deal. And 18 days is so fast to plan a trip.
We're staying at the Grand in August, so I'm curious to read about your plans and your stay. Are you planning a spa visit with your mom?
That's the best discount I've ever seen for the Grand Flo.

I'm actually not planning to go to the spa, but we were there in September, so if you have any questions about that or the resort, feel free to ask. :goodvibes

Mommy2LittleVols 01-11-2010 01:51 PM

Good for you for taking this trip with your mom! That really is an amazing discount on the Grand Flo. Looking forward to reading about your plans!

TarzansKat 01-11-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2LittleVols (Post 34967466)
Good for you for taking this trip with your mom! That really is an amazing discount on the Grand Flo. Looking forward to reading about your plans!

Thank you! I'm looking forward to writing about it. :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.