The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   overcharged at the gate today (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2349652)

gwen7g 12-12-2009 07:26 PM

overcharged at the gate today
 
:mad:

What a crappy day... We are FL residents, came up for one day at Magic Kingdom with our 4 year old son.

At the ticket gate I asked about the FL resident discount and was reminded you have to purchase those in advance (I had forgotten). So I said can I just get 2 adults and one child regular tickets then?

The agent said yes, that's $323. So it sounded high but there was a line etc.. and we went on my way. I realize it's my fault for not checking- but he charged use for park hopper passes! I only figured this out on the way back to our hotel. At no time did myself or the agent utter the words park hopper.

Which added insult to injury because our 4 year old didn't want to go on any rides and asked to leave early. So after 3 attractions in MK and $323 dollars later we left.

Serious bummer. Do you think we have any way of fixing the ticket thing? I was 1/2 thinking of going all the way back to the ticket window in the morning before we leave to look into it. Maybe they could check our tickets that we didn't go to another park? I hate to look like we are trying to get some deal- but I was really shocked to see what we had paid for.

Any thoughts? :sad2:

bigmoonmullen 12-12-2009 07:33 PM

If you are staying onsite I would go to the front desk and ask to speak to a manager. They might be able to help or give you thoughts on what your options are.

Otherwise it still would not hurt to go there tomorrow and ask to speak to a manager and explain your situation... just be polite... it may or may not work but at least you gave it a try.

Good Luck,

Mark

KellyNY 12-12-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwen7g (Post 34644797)
:mad:

What a crappy day... We are FL residents, came up for one day at Magic Kingdom with our 4 year old son.

At the ticket gate I asked about the FL resident discount and was reminded you have to purchase those in advance (I had forgotten). So I said can I just get 2 adults and one child regular tickets then?

The agent said yes, that's $323. So it sounded high but there was a line etc.. and we went on my way. I realize it's my fault for not checking- but he charged use for park hopper passes! I only figured this out on the way back to our hotel. At no time did myself or the agent utter the words park hopper.

Which added insult to injury because our 4 year old didn't want to go on any rides and asked to leave early. So after 3 attractions in MK and $323 dollars later we left.

Serious bummer. Do you think we have any way of fixing the ticket thing? I was 1/2 thinking of going all the way back to the ticket window in the morning before we leave to look into it. Maybe they could check our tickets that we didn't go to another park? I hate to look like we are trying to get some deal- but I was really shocked to see what we had paid for.

Any thoughts? :sad2:

I think you can try.Just explain that there was a mistake and you did not pay attention right away. There is possibility it will be fixed.

pickles 12-12-2009 08:03 PM

Or maybe if you know you will go again in the future you can upgrade and add non expiry to them, so all is not lost

gigi1313 12-12-2009 08:08 PM

i'm going to be the dissenter and venture a guess that you will be unsuccessful in getting any money refunded the next day... simply because i am sure people will buy a park hopper thinking they are going to hop and then something happens (i.e. a child will be "done" for the day or a guest gets caught up in the magic where they are and just stay there all day/night long) and ask for the hopping part refunded... not because they were charged for the wrong ticket (in your case) but because they asked for the wrong ticket and once they realized they paid for something they were not using, they decide to try and get refunded...
ergo, i would not waste my time and chalk it up to an expensive mistake...

although, as another posted suggested, if it's w/in 14 days of purchase you can upgrade the ticket, so if you have the extra $, you could add a few days and non-expiry for future use...

DeniseinNS 12-12-2009 09:28 PM

It can't hurt to call and see if they'll do something. Good luck!

lugnut33 12-12-2009 10:04 PM

I know a guy who got his non-parkhopping ticket changed to a parkhopper for free, so anything is possible. You just gotta ask, and be nice about it.

gwen7g 12-13-2009 06:25 AM

thanks for the feedback... still not sure if we're going to go over there- now realized we'll have to get through the parking $ situation too, seems like a big hassle.

we'll see!

goofyernmost 12-13-2009 06:51 AM

I might easily be reading this wrong but if it was a one day ticket and it was already used, albeit for a short time, then my thought is that it is over. There is no non-expirational option...it's already used.

I think you could attempt to get a refund. It is $150.00 plus for a park hopper but it might be difficult because it would be your word against the word of an unknown CM (unless you got the name).

I would leave out the story about the kid wanting to leave early because that would only serve as a signal that you might be trying to get money back because your plans didn't work out the way you wanted. Getting a park hopper for a one day visit must be fairly rare (I don't know) and you might have a chance in getting a refund for that mistake. The hard part is convincing anyone that it actually was a mistake. The more time that passes the less likely you will be successful.

You may have to just accept this as an expensive lesson and check things out before you leave the booth in the future.

larryz 12-13-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwen7g (Post 34644797)
:mad:

What a crappy day... We are FL residents, came up for one day at Magic Kingdom with our 4 year old son.

At the ticket gate I asked about the FL resident discount and was reminded you have to purchase those in advance (I had forgotten). So I said can I just get 2 adults and one child regular tickets then?

The agent said yes, that's $323. So it sounded high but there was a line etc.. and we went on my way. I realize it's my fault for not checking- but he charged use for park hopper passes! I only figured this out on the way back to our hotel. At no time did myself or the agent utter the words park hopper.

Which added insult to injury because our 4 year old didn't want to go on any rides and asked to leave early. So after 3 attractions in MK and $323 dollars later we left.

Serious bummer. Do you think we have any way of fixing the ticket thing? I was 1/2 thinking of going all the way back to the ticket window in the morning before we leave to look into it. Maybe they could check our tickets that we didn't go to another park? I hate to look like we are trying to get some deal- but I was really shocked to see what we had paid for.

Any thoughts? :sad2:

Well, did you put it on your Disney Visa? At least you'll get points for it...

creativeamanda 12-13-2009 09:03 AM

When did they change the rule about purchasing ahead of time as a FL resident? When dh's brother bought his tickets at the gate in 2007, he got the FL resident discount then. This was at the gate at MK on Jan 31, 2007.

Hannathy 12-13-2009 09:18 AM

I'm having a hard time understanding how it came to $323.? What am I missing?

2 adults at 79 and 1 child at 68 = 228 plus tax and I know tax isn't $95
If you add hoppers $152 then it is way over $323, 384 before tax.

So just what were you charged for? I would check your receipt.

Will someone please explain to me how it added up to $323?

Cheshire Figment 12-13-2009 09:37 AM

Several answers at once.

Park hopping on a Florida Resident Ticket is $26 so two adults and one child plus hopping plus tax comes to about $323.

A Florida Resident can get a 10% discount on a one day ticket if the purchase is made in advance (online or by phone) and picking up the ticket at Will Call instead of making the purchase itself on WDW.

And when you explain what happened, a Guest Services Manager will have the authority to issue a refund for the hopping portion, especially since the tickets can be seen in the system as it was not used for hopping.

Hannathy 12-13-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment (Post 34648213)
Several answers at once.

Park hopping on a Florida Resident Ticket is $26 so two adults and one child plus hopping plus tax comes to about $323.

A Florida Resident can get a 10% discount on a one day ticket if the purchase is made in advance (online or by phone) and picking up the ticket at Will Call instead of making the purchase itself on WDW.

And when you explain what happened, a Guest Services Manager will have the authority to issue a refund for the hopping portion, especially since the tickets can be seen in the system as it was not used for hopping.


But she said he wouldn't give her the Florida discount. That is why I was confused. So you are saying he DID give her the Florida discount even tho she didn't pre-order?

tzolkin 12-13-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannathy (Post 34648403)
But she said he wouldn't give her the Florida discount. That is why I was confused. So you are saying he DID give her the Florida discount even tho she didn't pre-order?

I believe he didn't get the FL resident discount for the one day ticket price, but did get the FL resident rate for park hopping.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.