The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do you think the resale prices will go up since points are going up? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2299296)

edk35 10-02-2009 11:43 AM

Do you think the resale prices will go up since points are going up?

Just curious if people will sell their contracts for more per point now that prices are going up per point? I am always looking for small contracts via resells.

Rob S. 10-02-2009 12:33 PM

The price per point is only going up for BLT so I doubt that it would have any significant impact on the resale market.

edk35 10-02-2009 02:32 PM

I do believe that AKV is also going up though.

wdrl 10-02-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edk35 (Post 33805152)
I do believe that AKV is also going up though.

I'm not sure if AKV's price per point is going up to $120 like BLT, but Disney changed the incentives on 8/30/2009 for some AKV contracts. In August, my wife and I were debating adding on more points. At the time, Disney was offering $19 incentives on 100 points for AKV, bringing the cost to $93 a point. But when we finally got around to calling our Guide on 9/1/2009, we discovered Disney had lowered the AKV incentive from $19 to $10, making the cost $102/point. We ended up making a bid on an AKV resale for $84/point.

I would expect that if the spread between Disney-direct and resale widens, there will be a greater financial benefit for Disney to ROFR contracts. If Disney RORFs more contracts, then sellers will raise their asking prices, or buyers will raise their offers to insure that they get contracts they really want.

CapeCodFam 10-03-2009 08:51 AM

I think the market will dictate what happens. As the economy goes, so goes DVC resales. As long as the abundant supply is out there for resales, there won't be any sustained increase. Once the supply doesn't meet the demand, they will go up.

wildernessDad 10-03-2009 11:04 AM

I doubt it. The resale market is heavily tied to the economy, whereas who knows what drives Disney's prices? I don't pretend to know what makes Disney tick.

5forDiz 10-03-2009 11:41 AM

popcorn::

edk35 10-03-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5forDiz (Post 33813436)

Let me join you.....

:drinking1

CarolMN 10-04-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edk35 (Post 33802916)
Just curious if people will sell their contracts for more per point now that prices are going up per point? I am always looking for small contracts via resells.

Not unless Disney raises the amount it will pay for ROFR. Not enough demand in this economy to force prices up otherwise. Still too many who need to sell.

Deb & Bill 10-04-2009 10:36 AM

We sold two contracts for much more than we paid for them about two years ago when the direct price from Disney was much lower. I think it's the economy that is driving the resale price, not the current price of points.

silmarg 10-04-2009 07:50 PM

The BLT retail sales are a unique situation. DVC is selling from a position of strength there - considering its location.

The resale market has very different dynamic. What is motivating sellers to sell is often related to the overall economy - which is still sluggish. On the buy side of the equation, I think Disney offering all the discounts of late (buy 4 get 3 and extended free dining) is dampening DVC demand on the resale side.

I dont suspect resale prices will go up for a while yet. There is still plenty of inventory to work off...

But my personal opinion is the economy may be turning around. Disney's 2010 discounts are no where near as good as 2009's. And it has me thinking more and more that this is THE best time to buy on the resale market.

If the market does make a turn, I could see resale prices rebound in 2011-2.

Belle & Ariel 10-05-2009 09:47 PM

I think as long as BLT sales are strong, resales are not a big competition to Disney. If they are raising the price, I would think sales are good unless it is a ploy to increase sales to beat the price increase.
If a lot of people go resale to pay $80 a point instead of Disney's $120, I could see Disney increasing use of ROFR to inflate resale prices and make their product more competitive pricewise.

edk35 10-06-2009 07:00 AM

There are some really great deals on the resale websites right now. Hopefully the deals via resales will continue into next year. :goodvibes

Jason@dvcstore 10-09-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edk35 (Post 33802916)

At The Timeshare Store, Inc. we try and sell the properties at prices which seem fair to buyer and seller. We also try and sell the properties at a price where Disney is NOT going to exercise ROFR. For example, right now we are selling Saratoga Springs typically for between $67 and $72 per point and Disney is not buying those contracts back. If Disney were to start buying them back at $67, $68 and $69 per point then we would need to advise sellers to list at higher prices.

Jason

edk35 10-09-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@dvcstore (Post 33887436)
At The Timeshare Store, Inc. we try and sell the properties at prices which seem fair to buyer and seller. We also try and sell the properties at a price where Disney is NOT going to exercise ROFR. For example, right now we are selling Saratoga Springs typically for between $67 and $72 per point and Disney is not buying those contracts back. If Disney were to start buying them back at $67, $68 and $69 per point then we would need to advise sellers to list at higher prices.

Jason