The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Allergies and Snacks @ WDW (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2230790)

ArcEntropy 07-16-2009 12:26 AM

Allergies and Snacks @ WDW

My DS: 10 has allergies to peanuts and treenuts.
Does anyone know and/or someone who has had to deal with this know what snacks at WDW we should stay away from?

The nut covered frozen banana and the ice-cream cone with nuts are easy ...
Key here is the 'Mickey Mouse Ice-Cream Bar' (I really wanted him to have one, but ...)
Do they offer the frozen banana without nuts?

(My apologies if this wasn't the right forum.)
TIA for any help and info.

squirrel 07-16-2009 02:05 AM

I know that there are some snacks that are nut/tree nut free.

My niece is lactose intollerant.

If you go over to the DisAbilities Board there is a lot of info. over there. You can also send an e-mail to specialdiets@disneyworld.com and they will send you information on what is safe and where CS locations are in each park that can make nut free food.

If you have any ADR's ask for a form to fill out with your ADR's and they will send it to you and then forward it onto the chefs at each restaurant when you send it back via e-mail.

If you are staying at a WDW resort there are special snacks available for children+adults. My niece had a chocolate brownie (she didn't like it, I thought it tasted fine a little dry-but it was a day or two old by the time I tried it) and chocolate chip cookies. I'm sure that the Dole Whips in MK are fine.

Disney is so great with allergies.

ArcEntropy 07-16-2009 10:08 PM

Thanx.

Good info, appricated. :worship:

dawnball 07-16-2009 10:36 PM

Emailing specialdiets is always a good idea. However, to answer your specific questions:

No, the banana doesn't come in a nut-free version.
The mickey bars are made by nestle, and nestle has refused to clarify (although they may have by now) if they're made on shared equipment with nuts/peanuts.

I don't have peanut/treenut specific info, but some of my allergen info does cover nut risks. Please take this with a grain of salt since my lists are dated Jan 2009.

The popcorn oil is a coconut, canola, corn blend - produced in a plant that produces peanut oil.
The soft pretzels are processed in a plant that contains peanuts and tree nuts.
The hard scooped and soft-serve ice cream are both made by Edy, which should give you some idea of the safety. They'll scoop hard ice cream from new tubs for you with a new scoop if needed.

There are gluten, lactose, peanut free brownies and chocolate chip cookies made by French Meadow bakery available.
Disney also stocks Divvies products which are peanut and tree nut free - chocolate chip cookies, caramel popcorn and jelly beans.

WhateverLolaWants 07-17-2009 01:38 AM

In case you were unaware, every place that serves food of any sort will have binders that lists ingredients for every item. Just ask any CM if you can look at it if you have any specific questions.

DCDisney 07-17-2009 08:49 PM

The only things that are pretty consistently off limits in terms of nut allergies are breads and almost all the baked goods (unless they are packaged) because of the cross contam issues in the bakery they use. My favorite exception to this rule is the Krispy Kreme donuts they have on the buffets are produced in a nut free zone (always check though because things change). This is the only time I can ever have donuts! I do eat the giant pretzels that have the cross contam warning but I don't have anaphylactic nut allergies. Same with the Mickey Ear Rice Crispy treats (they do carry a divvies rice crispy treat though that is safe). You may not be able to have a huge choice of nut free items in terms of desserts and treats but I have always been able to find a safe option. Goofy's candy Co is very frustrating because almost everything there even prepackaged has a nut warning except a few types of mints and pretzels.

ArcEntropy 07-18-2009 12:45 AM

Thanx ... again.

I appreciate the the info ... and especially the personal insights on this. :goodvibes

squirrel 07-18-2009 12:58 AM

Everytime I asked to see the binder, the chef came to the window and discussed what he/she could make for my niece. Maybe that was because we ate at off times.

disneynewbeemom 07-18-2009 10:29 PM

My boys both have severe nut allergies. We had a wonderful eating experience at WDW. They ate Mickey Ice Cream Bars, Cookies and Cream Minnie Ice Cream Sandwiches, Itzakoodzie Ice Pops, Mickey head Rice Krispey Treats, and pretzels. We steered clear of popcorn, cookies, cakes, danishes, and make your own treats at Goody's Candy Co. They loved all of the snacks they ate and WDW was terrific with allergies.