The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   For WDW veterans, what makes each trip unique? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2229693)

Wonders10 07-14-2009 06:28 PM

For WDW veterans, what makes each trip unique?

Hi everyone,

It's always this time of year (after your big vacation is over) that I start thinking about next summer's vacation. And of course, WDW always makes the list of possibilities. Typically we have been doing short weekend trips to the world 1 or 2 times a year. 2 or 3 nights max. But I have been wanting to stay longer - 5-7 nights. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my mom (who loves disney but doesn't understand why we would want to do our "big" vacation there since we have been so many times) why it should be a possibility. For example, I was thinking one night of doing cirque du soleil. She'd love it and it is something we've never done. Staying at a resort we have not stayed at yet is another new thing.

So for those of you that have been to WDW quite a few times and consider yourselves veterans, what makes each trip back to WDW special and unique. Why do you go back to WDW each year as opposed to someplace else?

Thanks!!!! :goodvibes

vicki_c 07-14-2009 06:45 PM

I know where you're coming from. When we lived nearby (Space Coast), we never went for more than 2 nights. It was only before living in Florida and after moving away that we stayed longer.

But even if you're close and can go often, it is SO much more relaxing to go for a week or more. You just have the luxury of more down time, seeing more little things that maybe you don't notice on a shorter trip, and the opportunity to do something different like Cirque.

We have not had any trips that were just like previous trips - different resorts, different events (Food & Wine, MNSSHP, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend).

So I think it's about the pace you set - on a longer trip, you are more likely to set a somewhat slower pace - at least that's how it works for my family.

DisneyBamaFan 07-14-2009 06:59 PM

We only go once per year, so the time between the trips keeps it fresh and allows anticipation to build. Still, we try to go to different restaurants every year, and our favorite rides change as we grow older, and our children grow older.

Edited to add that we also do one other vacation each year, so WDW is not our only vacation destination.

No two trips have been the same for us... :goodvibes

Wonders10 07-14-2009 07:07 PM

Thanks so much for your thoughts so far! We also do a 2nd trip during the year. Usually one "big" trip and then a weekend thing, usually to disney. The past few years have been a caribbean cruise and last month was our huge, once in a lifetime trip to Ireland with ABD.

I should point out that as of right now, because this year's vacation cost so much, next year's will probably be another cruise (not the same one, different ship, different ports).

Also wondering, how long do you usually stay at WDW, for the "big" vacation?

Keep your ideas coming! Thanks again! :cutie:

vicki_c 07-14-2009 07:09 PM

We usually stay at least a week, although we were there for 13 days over Christmas last year.

Mostly I just posted to say I want to read your ABD Trip Report - that is my dream vacation some year! Ireland with ABD, or maybe Italy or even one of the US destinations. But my husband would LOVE to go to Ireland, so I'll have to read your report.

scdisneyguy 07-14-2009 07:10 PM

Well, I grew up a Disney kid and was lucky to get to go ALOT. I honestly have been to Hawaii, Bahamas, Jamaica, and alot more places, but DW is always my top choice. I guess for me and our huge family it is remembering the fun my siblings and I had as kids, as well as seeing the smiles and utter joy on my kids and nieces and nephews faces every year that makes it always special for us.

I wouldn't pick anywhere else, our entire family goes once a year and sometimes more, I will be 39 in November, and first week of December will be my 48th trip. It really is the happiest place on earth, or at least for the children in my family it is. 5 nieces and nephews and 4 of my own, that is a ton of smiles I see yearly, wouldn't trade it for anything

jimmiej 07-14-2009 07:13 PM

We stay at a different WDW hotel each time. We generally stay for one week so we can really enjoy the hotel. We also try to do at least one TS restaurant we've not done before.

Wonders10 07-14-2009 07:26 PM

I think I agree with Vicki C...going for such a short time makes it hard to really relax. It is fun, don't get me wrong, but we typically don't do all 4 parks and the parks we do go to, we feel obligated to do our "must do's", leaving little time for random exploring and enjoying of our resort. I definitely don't feel like I need convincing to stay for 5-7 nights at WDW. Especially since I have not done it in years, but my mom would need that convincing. I was also thinking of doing 2 nights at Universal, only because this past year the school board I work for gave great discounts (and free passes) to their employees and I wouldn't mind taking advantage of that too.

Vicki C...It sounds cliche' but Ireland was truly the adventure of a lifetime. I've been home for almost 3 weeks now and I miss all of terribly - the country, the adventure guides, our travel mates. I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about it.

palavra 07-14-2009 07:33 PM

I am mostly a Disney newbie, but I think we will end up going to WDW every other year, at least while our daughter is young. Next year, we will be visiting relatives in Canada, but I know we will be back in 2011 for Disney and Harry potter at IOA.

InTheBubble 07-14-2009 07:59 PM

I've been to Disney many times but it's only recently that I've learned to slow down when touring the parks. Now I look forward to seeing something different each time I visit. I listen to many Disney podcasts and can't believe how many details in the parks that I've always passed by. I'd also like to try some of their tours - Keys to the Kingdom or the Segways would be fun.

GC&S 07-14-2009 08:09 PM

We go every year in the fall and I think what makes it unique each time is seeing it through dd's eyes. She always finds the littlest things that make her happy - the talking trash can, the halloween decorations in the windows at MK, riding the monorail, the bus and the boat, etc. Things we really don't think about as being exciting but her excitement is contagious. We also try a new restaurant each time and generally there's a new attraction or show. Now that she can go on most of the rides, it's really a new adventure.

connie1042 07-14-2009 08:49 PM

I just love how happy most people are at WDW. It seems everyone is having fun. I know we run into a few people that do not have the disney magic, but most people are happy. We are going this year with NO kids or grandkids, so we have alot of down time planned just to relax at the resort. I love to shop, we are going to Cirque, eating at some nice restaurants. I think for the money it is a nice vacation. We usually hit cocoa beach for a day. We just really have a good time.

Melmac 07-14-2009 09:03 PM

We have gone about once a year since we've been married and the main thing we do to make each trip unique is to stay at a different resort. We usually stay 7 days so that is lots of time to enjoy the resort. Also, we try and pick a couple of restaurants that we haven't tried before (this fall we are trying 3 of 5 new restaurants). Also, we usually try a tour (the Keys to the Kingdom tour was great and we are going to try the Behind the Seeds tour this year).

We usually do another trip each year so we do not only go to WDW. That also helps keep it fresh.

skywaywaver 07-14-2009 09:32 PM

For us, it's trying new restaurants and resorts. This time we will be at Bay Lake Towers with my parents and also trying Hoop Dee Doo Revue.
Also, the last time we added a child and this time we will be adding another child! LOL
Hopefully, our next visit will be as DVC members, so that will make our stays even more different.
Eventually, I would love to try free dining. Sounds like fun to me!

B&WMickey 07-14-2009 09:49 PM

For us I think it has to do with the fact that we honeymooned at WDW. Everything was perfect about that trip. I think we continue to go back to rekindle that magic. Also, now that we have kids we look forward to sharing WDW with them as well. As they get older we know every trip will be different so finding reasons to go back will be easy.