The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland (California) (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Space Mountain Halloween Overlay, and Halloween Fireworks!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2226777)

tinkermell 07-11-2009 10:21 AM

Space Mountain Halloween Overlay, and Halloween Fireworks!!

Just read over on Miceage that starting on September 25, SM will have a Halloween overlay.:cool1: Something like Hong Kong's version called Ghost Galaxy. They will be using the same equipment that was used for Rockin Space Mountain.
Be advised that it also said that SM, will be closed 2 weeks prior to the new overlay. :guilty:

Also mentioned that DL will have Halloween Fireworks this year!:banana:

Dizneydaz 07-11-2009 10:45 AM

That's great! We're going to WDW in Sept. and returning home on Sept. 23rd. Our DL AP will expire while we are gone-now it looks like I'll have to renew them sooner than I thought. DD goes back on track on Sept. 28th so I was going to wait until the Christmas holidays. Looks like I'll have to change my plans to see the new FW.

I absolutely love:love: the Hallowishes Fireworks at WDW and it would be great if the ones at DL are similar. In fact, it was the FW that got my family to agree to go to another MNSSHP a few years back. Problem was that it rained, torrentially, that night, and the FW wre delayed and then cut short. A big disppointment. Would love to see them here at home. :goodvibes

Sherry E 07-11-2009 10:53 AM

I wondered if that was what was happening, because someone on DIS just posted a list of the upcoming refurbs in September and Space Mountain was suspiciously down for about the same time as the HM will be down, and it is back up around the same time HMH will be up.

I think that is a really cool idea and people will love it - BUT I won't be seeing it because I don't go on Space Mountain anymore. My stomach can't take it. So I will rely on seeing still photos somewhere to show me what it looks like. I think that because (most likely) there will be no Halloween Round-Up this year, they need to add in more things to draw people in. However, I know I am not the only one who avoids the super-thrill rides, so I am not sure if the Halloween Space Mountain will have the same draw as the HMH, but we will see!

PinkBudgie 07-11-2009 11:28 AM

If that's true, I'm sorry I will be missing it. I hope they have time to fix the ride as well as long as it is closed. That ride was always breaking down while we were there. Including once while we were on it. We eventually got fed up with Space Mountian and "punished" it by not riding on it our last day. :rotfl:

bluegrizzlies1 07-11-2009 11:33 AM

Halloween fireworks when?

Are they just going to be a few days or all of oct ?

3Minnies1Mickey 07-11-2009 11:53 AM

That's why its down!!! I might have to upgrade to AP's on our Sept trip so we can come back and see it!!

LuLusApple 07-11-2009 11:57 AM

I am so excited! I love SM :cool1: I will have to add another day to our October trip! Woohoo :cool1:

got2travel 07-11-2009 11:57 AM

sounds like I'll have to make a Fall trip, guess I'll get those Trick or Treat party tickets after all

Sherry E 07-11-2009 12:09 PM

Hmmmm.....who else here feels a big ol' Snowball a-rollin' in your direction?:rotfl2::rotfl2: And who here sees the DLR hotel rate hiking up and the rooms booking fast?:lmao:

This is how bad the DSE (Disney Snowball Effect) is: as stated in my previous post, I don't even ride Space Mountain anymore, but when I read what the OP said, my first thought/impulse was, 'Oh wow! Now I can't go to DLR for JUST one day in October....I have to be there for AT LEAST a couple of nights, clearly...':rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Why? If I'm not going on Space Mountain, why would my trip be affected in any way and need to be prolonged? Well....because there might be OTHER cool new Halloween stuff around the parks this year and I HAVE to have time to see that, don't I?:rotfl2::rotfl2: I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!:rotfl::rotfl:

specialks 07-11-2009 12:14 PM

For me, this is sad news. My daughter's favorite ride last year (when she was 4) was Space Mountain. I just read the other dis post about the closures and had to go "break the news" to her about SM being closed during our visit. She cried and could not understand why they would do that to her. I told her there are lots of other rides she can still ride and listed her favorites (another favorite - the Gadget Go Coaster - is also closed during our visit). My DH and I were both worried the refurb could last longer, but this makes me sure that it will be open by the 25th. We are there Sept 20-25th and I promised her lots of turns riding it on the 25th. I am a little sad she will miss the "traditional" SM, however, I am sure she won't care and will love it just the same.

Eeee-va 07-11-2009 12:43 PM

Isn't it possible that SM will "soft-open" before 9/25? I would not COUNT on it, but I would definitely keep an eye out if I were going. I am sorry to anyone who misses Space Mountain due to the overlay, though. :( And it seems just wrong to take down two coasters at the same time! Even though one of them is much smaller than the other.

On the up side, maybe that means fewer crowds.

Yes, I feel a snowball! I wanted to attend the Halloween party, wanted to see the new fireworks, and now this! Too bad I don't get vacation days, don't know if I'll even be employed when the Halloween time starts, and can't convince anyone else to snowball with me to share expenses. :rolleyes1

tinkermell 07-11-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry E (Post 32663180)
Hmmmm.....who else here feels a big ol' Snowball a-rollin' in your direction?:rotfl2::rotfl2: And who here sees the DLR hotel rate hiking up and the rooms booking fast?:lmao:

This is how bad the DSE (Disney Snowball Effect) is: as stated in my previous post, I don't even ride Space Mountain anymore, but when I read what the OP said, my first thought/impulse was, 'Oh wow! Now I can't go to DLR for JUST one day in October....I have to be there for AT LEAST a couple of nights, clearly...':rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Why? If I'm not going on Space Mountain, why would my trip be affected in any way and need to be prolonged? Well....because there might be OTHER cool new Halloween stuff around the parks this year and I HAVE to have time to see that, don't I?:rotfl2::rotfl2: I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Sherry, These were my thoughts exactly!! It already has been crowded for the last few years, and now it is just going to get worse!! :sad2:

Oh well, I guess if I want to see the new stuff, I just have to go with the flow!:headache:

GrandBob 07-11-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry E (Post 32663180)
I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!:rotfl::rotfl:

And we all truly appreciate the sacrifices you make for us, Sherry! :thumbsup2

fayt19 07-11-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegrizzlies1 (Post 32662813)
Halloween fireworks when?

Are they just going to be a few days or all of oct ?

I'm wondering the same thing! We're probably going the first week of October and I hope we'll get to see them on the 9th.

Spacepest 07-11-2009 02:00 PM

OMG *squees*

I have a DL trip planned for mid October! A themed Space Mountain will be awesome.

And what is Hong Kong's Ghost Galaxy? Anyone have a link with pics?