The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   So, Stallworth gets 24 days for killing an actual person.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2226681)

meloneyb21 07-11-2009 08:38 AM

So, Stallworth gets 24 days for killing an actual person....
 
...and Vick gets 23 months for killing dogs? I'm confused. Do we not value human life?

agnes! 07-11-2009 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, it will probably mean more to Dante Stallworth that he has been indefinitely suspended by the NFL. That's according to the Associated Press, here's the link... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...WxjlgD99BJ8NO1.

happygirl 07-11-2009 09:44 AM

I think he should have got longer then 24 days. However, It wasn't his intention to kill someone. Vick meant to hurt those poor dogs he tourted them in fact. Over and over again.

Tiggeroo 07-11-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happygirl (Post 32661624)
I think he should have got longer then 24 days. However, It wasn't his intention to kill someone. Vick meant to hurt those poor dogs he tourted them in fact. Over and over again.

If you get behind the wheel of a car when you have had too much to drink you should accept the fact that you could hurt or kill somebody. It's not an accident. He got off because he paid the family a big civil settlement and they claimed that they wanted leniency so the whole thing could be over.

ladycollector 07-11-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggeroo (Post 32661687)
If you get behind the wheel of a car when you have had too much to drink you should accept the fact that you could hurt or kill somebody. It's not an accident. He got off because he paid the family a big civil settlement and they claimed that they wanted leniency so the whole thing could be over.

I agree, and I agree that he should've gotten a way tougher sentence.

But, I disagree that DUI Manslaughter is the same as planning and executing a murder. He does need to take full responsibility for the death of the person he killed, but I just don't think theres any right answer as far as how much, in comparison to a pre-meditated murder.

There is no right answer. :(

JMD 07-11-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happygirl (Post 32661624)
I think he should have got longer then 24 days. However, It wasn't his intention to kill someone. Vick meant to hurt those poor dogs he tourted them in fact. Over and over again.


I agree.

A 24 day sentence is laughable, but it was an accident. Stallworth fully cooperated with the police, and by many accounts, the victim ran out into the street right in front of his car.

That is completely different than the repeated and intentional abuse and exectution of dogs.

MoniqueU 07-11-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happygirl (Post 32661624)
I think he should have got longer then 24 days. However, It wasn't his intention to kill someone. Vick meant to hurt those poor dogs he tourted them in fact. Over and over again.

I love to have some drinks, my friends love to have some drinks we make arrangements BEFORE we sent out for the day/evening to get to and from safely. I no longer drive so I dont have to worry about me but I do make sure my DH and friends have a plan in place or don't drink too much. I dont want any of them to end up in jail or lord forbid hurting someone. There should be a mandatory minimum for DUI deaths.

happygirl 07-11-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoniqueU (Post 32661892)
I love to have some drinks, my friends love to have some drinks we make arrangements BEFORE we sent out for the day/evening to get to and from safely. I no longer drive so I dont have to worry about me but I do make sure my DH and friends have a plan in place or don't drink too much. I dont want any of them to end up in jail or lord forbid hurting someone. There should be a mandatory minimum for DUI deaths.


I have never saw what what he did was right. In fact it was stupid of him. He should have got longer then 24 days.

pearlieq 07-11-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 32661847)
A 24 day sentence is laughable, but it was an accident. Stallworth fully cooperated with the police, and by many accounts, the victim ran out into the street right in front of his car.

That is completely different than the repeated and intentional abuse and exectution of dogs.

Exactly.

tinatark 07-11-2009 01:07 PM

He reached a settlement with the family, so they didn't pursue harsher punishment.

I'm sure his "indefinite" suspension will be anything but indefinite - maybe the entire next season, but I would guess not that long, even.

My son is 15 and taking the test for his driver's permit; several of the questions regard DUI penalties. I suppose the penalties aren't the same for celebrities!

flamom 07-11-2009 01:48 PM

if he wasn't rich and famous he would have gotten alot more then 24 days.

Uuaww 07-11-2009 02:12 PM

People need to realize what Donte Stallworth did. Yes he killed a man, if you know the full the story, the man came running across the street in front of traffic when he was killed. If Donte Stallworth had not been drinking, he would have killed the man according to police and eye witness reports. Yes he was drunk, but it didn't play a factor. Also this is a man with NO prior criminal history and he stopped as soon as he hit him and waited for police to arrive. He fully cooperated with police. If he hadn't been drunk, he wouldn't have even been charged!

Now he is the important thing. REGARDLESS of what he paid the family, the COURT decided not to pursue this anymore, the JUDGE gave him a sentence that HE thought was fair and HE is the expert, not us!

His sentence was 30 days in prison, 2-3 years of probation and life without a drivers license (in 5 years he can get a work only licence)

Stop casting judgements until you know the full story, and athletes are rarely getting special treatment for serious crimes, so stop making that conclusion unless you back it up with hard evidence.

shrubber 07-11-2009 03:15 PM

Well, He has proven he's the only Cleveland Brown who can hit anybody.

shrubber 07-11-2009 03:31 PM

Stallworth also has an alien living in his brain during games, the rest of the time the alien 'nicco' lives at Mars.....

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Donte-Stal...sane-Blog-5899

Golf4food 07-11-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uuaww (Post 32664470)
People need to realize what Donte Stallworth did. Yes he killed a man, if you know the full the story, the man came running across the street in front of traffic when he was killed. If Donte Stallworth had not been drinking, he would have killed the man according to police and eye witness reports. Yes he was drunk, but it didn't play a factor. Also this is a man with NO prior criminal history and he stopped as soon as he hit him and waited for police to arrive. He fully cooperated with police. If he hadn't been drunk, he wouldn't have even been charged!

Now he is the important thing. REGARDLESS of what he paid the family, the COURT decided not to pursue this anymore, the JUDGE gave him a sentence that HE thought was fair and HE is the expert, not us!

His sentence was 30 days in prison, 2-3 years of probation and life without a drivers license (in 5 years he can get a work only licence)

Stop casting judgements until you know the full story, and athletes are rarely getting special treatment for serious crimes, so stop making that conclusion unless you back it up with hard evidence.

Thank you. Saved me some typing. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.