The DIS Discussion Forums -

The DIS Discussion Forums - (
-   UK Community Board (
-   -   Advice Please.......... (

Snowy-girls 07-06-2009 09:44 AM

Advice Please..........
I have just had a phone call from Dd8 school to say they have a Confirmed Case of Swine Flu :eek:.
Now the advice i would like please is this----
Would you keep your child off school for the remainder of term time(DD8 breaks up 17th July)now knowing this information??.
Also would you keep a sibling off in the school next door that shares sports halls etc...(Dd4 goes to the Nursery next door).
I know to some i may sound a little OTT :laughing:,but swine Flu does worry me,i know all the ins+outs of it+that it's not as bad as everyday flu,but i would just like some advice as to whether you would keep your child home.I know it may sound silly but could you give me reasons for your answer :confused3?.
(also Dd8 friend,was sent home about an hour before we had this phone call-with temperature+shivers,his brother 4yrs is my Dd4 friend in Nursery-so we are with each other 2 times a day,Mon-Fri).
Thank you.x.

Edited Too Add(because of what Wendy said in her post)--i have mild asthma,suffer with chest infections+have recently been having a few dizzy spells-to do with my blood pressure,Dd8 has trouble controlling her temperature+it can cause her to pass out or in extreme cases, have a convulsion-although she has NOT been diagnosed with fits/epilepsy.No holidays.x.

Lizzy Lemon 07-06-2009 09:49 AM

If you have got a family holiday due in the next few weeks or any of your family has other conditions asthma/heart conditions etc then yes I would keep them off school if not I think I would keep them in school.

higgy66 07-06-2009 09:57 AM

I would have said keep them in school however, reading your edit I would be inclined to speak to your GP.

Good luck :hug:

mushumadness 07-06-2009 10:02 AM

I would consult a doctor as asthma drops into at risk

Ive got chronic asthma, plus being pregnant Im extremely worried about getting this, and we have just had a case confirmed in the enxt village

scottish mum 07-06-2009 10:23 AM

I think I would speak to your GP and see what he recommends. I know that with asthma you will be at higher risk. If you do keep her off school she isn't really going to miss much work wise it will just be the fun stuff, ie possible school trips etc.

jjk 07-06-2009 11:06 AM

I agrree with everyone else and would speak to your GP for some advice x

natalielongstaff 07-06-2009 12:18 PM

I would be inclined to seek medical advice as well, good luck xx

CustardTart 07-06-2009 12:20 PM

This close to the end of term, I would definitely keep them home for the foreseeable future so you can monitor the situation. Then see your GP if you have any serious worries...

I kept my DS at home at the end of his work experience a couple of weeks ago as there was a couple of cases of swine flu reported at the company he worked at. I just couldn't see the point in risking it and wanted to keep an eye on him so he ended up just going back to school for one day...

Of course, I will use any excuse to have him around... ;)

wickesy 07-06-2009 12:24 PM

Add me to the speak to your GP list. If you do decide to keep them off it's only 9 days they are going to miss so probably not too disruptive.


fizz13 07-06-2009 12:52 PM

I am in the exact same position tonight. DD is in year 5 but the school extends all the way from nursery to sixth form. the confirmed case is in year 8 and at first i thought not a big deal. Then when she came home i discovered that cara sits directly behind her on the school bus, and this girl was in school this morning and got sent home later on:scared1:

I have asthma and not only that my grandfather is in intensive care right now after his heart surgery yesterday so i would never forgive myself if i were to pass this onto him. I would love to know the incubation period for swine flu, how long do you have it before symptoms develop? when do we know we are safe really?

oh decisions decisions. I think I am happy for her to be in school, but i should probably stay away from the intensive care unit. that may be the best thing to do.:confused3

mandymouse 07-06-2009 01:31 PM

I agree with everyone, I would have a chat with your doctor ::yes::

PoppyAnna 07-06-2009 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by mandymouse (Post 32583150)
I agree with everyone, I would have a chat with your doctor ::yes::

I agree with Mandy and others. A quick call to your GP could really put your mind at rest.

DisneyJo 07-06-2009 02:22 PM

Another vote for speaking to your Dr, hope he gives you good advise :hug:

joolz1910 07-06-2009 02:37 PM

We had a letter tonight to say that there is Swine Flu at my DDs' school. Although my eldest two (9 and 5) would normally stay at school, I am concerned about my DD (20 months) as young children are more vulnerable. The decision to not 'contain' was only taken last week, so the school would have been closed had this happened several days ago.:scared1:

I know it's only flu but....:sad2:

Haworthfamily 07-06-2009 03:11 PM

Having just had Swine Flu Michelle, I have to say our GP was fairly rubbish! (I've been with them since I was 2!)

They had to constantly phone the Flu response centre for advice. Not sure if we were their first case.:confused3

I have asthma and they gave me a slightly different dose of the 'Tamiflu' medication over a longer period of time and told me to use my preventative inhaler.

The symptoms I had of Swine Flu though didn't present themselves as chest issues.

I will try and dig out the flu response centre advice sheet, I think there was an advice line number on there and you can ask them any questions at all about it from Medical symptoms, to decisions about returning to work and school etc.

Freya was banned from the school whilst taking the 'Tamiflu' medication, even though she didn't present any symptoms after four/five days. But then she was in school probably contagious before we realised we had it.
When I phoned the school to speak to the head he already knew, as the Flu response centre had alerted them!

Love Sarah X

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.