The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help Me Convince DF A Disney Cruise Is "Not For Kids" (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1482271)

disneyfav4ever 06-12-2007 09:39 AM

Help Me Convince DF A Disney Cruise Is "Not For Kids"
 
I want to go on a cruise. So does DF. He doesn't want to go on a Disney Cruise, because he thinks that would be too Disney. He thinks we'd be surronded by Mickey Mouse and company 24/7.

I told him that there are special adult-only areas, and the characters don't go there. (Seriously, have no idea why I'm engaged to this man.;)) And that we, (okay, he,) could avoid most of the character meet and greets by watching the navigators. That we could go to adult activities, and we wouldn't be surronded by kids.

ReallyFunMom 06-12-2007 09:57 AM

You mean not JUST for kids. Have him read this trip report about a couple of couples that went and had great time w/o kids. Tell him he can pick next cruise, that you realllllllly want it. Most men decide its better for them to keep the wife/girlfriend happy.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1219471

You don't have to "wait" for kids. I was on this cruise with my kids and it was great but I don't think I had near as much fun, alcohol and relaxation as the childless couples!

amystevekai&bump 06-12-2007 10:08 AM

We went on the 4 day wonder for our 5th Wedding anniversary and it was amazing. Other than the shows you could totally avoid the characters if you wanted!! Most of the time you see them is during organized meet and greets so like you say - you can avoid those.

Castaway Cay is amazing and the adult beach is miles (not literally but it does feel like it!) from all the kids and therefore all the characters too!!

The adult pool is very quiet (or it was when we were there) and the spa is FANTASTIC!!!! (If you are struggling to convince him - show him details of the VERY INITMATE Serial Bath!!!)

Palos is also very romantic - In fact there is so much you can do as a couple that I'm actually worried that we are going for the first time with children next year and that they will spoil our adult time!! (only joking!! - Well partly!!:rotfl: )

inkkognito 06-12-2007 10:15 AM

Hubby and I have no kids and have been on almost 60 Disney cruises!! We see Mickey and the gang as an enhancement, but not as the sole reason. I'd rather do Disney than RCCL any day (done 4 on RCCL) because Disney is the one that actually enforces their adults-only areas (well, usually...I was rather disappointed in Cove Cafe's enforcement...or lack thereof...on my last Wonder trip, but I hope it was just an anomaly). The adult pool area, adult beach on Castaway Cay, brunch and dinner at Palo....ahhhhhhhhhh!! And the spa...don't even get me started! I could live there.

I've seen characters in the adult areas occasionally, but they don't make a point of coming to them...and I've never seen any in the spa!

ScouterJT 06-12-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkkognito (Post 19154886)
I've seen characters in the adult areas occasionally, but they don't make a point of coming to them...and I've never seen any in the spa!

now there is a thought ... what do you say to Mickey in the sauna?

surferrat 06-12-2007 10:50 AM

We are going in July for our 13th anniv. and we will be leaving the kids at home :thumbsup2

mrp4352 06-12-2007 11:58 AM

I've been three times and we've never gone with kids!

I'll tell you - the most amazing fact to me at the end of every cruise has been how many children are on board! I would have guessed 200-300 on the first cruise we took with Disney - during the end talk, they told us it was over 1000! They keep the kids so busy, you don't see them except during meals (except Palos), during the shows or if you head to the family or kids pool...

LAMPSKIES 06-12-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever (Post 19154263)
I want to go on a cruise. So does DF. He doesn't want to go on a Disney Cruise, because he thinks that would be too Disney. He thinks we'd be surronded by Mickey Mouse and company 24/7.

I told him that there are special adult-only areas, and the characters don't go there. (Seriously, have no idea why I'm engaged to this man.;)) And that we, (okay, he,) could avoid most of the character meet and greets by watching the navigators. That we could go to adult activities, and we wouldn't be surronded by kids.

We are bar far "Mouse people" our DDs never had any interest in pictures with any characters. But we had a great time EVERY time. The characters seem to know who wants pics and who doesn't....our DDs are 17 and 15 and requested DCL for our 6th sailing this November.....there are many adult activities and areas to just get away........

Example 1: Hot legs contest......ya think they'd allow kids to see this??:rotfl2:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/f1469a63.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/f1469ebf.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/f1469aab.jpg

LAMPSKIES 06-12-2007 01:08 PM

Then of course there is the "Ron Bon Jovies"....no kids allowed here either......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/f141bb17.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04087.jpg

The Go Gos are always a hit around midnight..........

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04088.jpg

LAMPSKIES 06-12-2007 01:13 PM

And there is no better "adult entertainment" the the Village people singing on stage.....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/DSC05601.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04151.jpg

LAMPSKIES 06-12-2007 01:17 PM

Now that I have scared your DF.....there are some great relaxing places.......

Diversions for beer tasting......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04040.jpg

Snorkeling at CC

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04164.jpg

Or laying on the beach sharing a beer......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...isney04160.jpg

ReallyFunMom 06-12-2007 01:25 PM

You might tell him the median age of the ADULTS is lower on DCL too. Depending on which other cruise and cruiseline you are considering, you may look around the dining room and feel like you are dining with the early bird crowd. Not that thats a bad thing.......

You also have less of the 18-22 heavy drinker singles crowd hoping to hook up. Course if you are in your 20's, these might be fun people to party with so that could be strike against DCL.

I also found less smoking and smoky smells on DCL but really only have RCL Majesty to compare it to. And I like Majesty fine, but DCL more.

inkkognito 06-12-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScouterJT (Post 19155106)
now there is a thought ... what do you say to Mickey in the sauna?

Better yet, what do you say when you see Mickey and Minnie coming out of the surial/rasual?! :rotfl2:

disneyfav4ever 06-12-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrp4352 (Post 19156916)
They keep the kids so busy, you don't see them except during meals (except Palos), during the shows or if you head to the family or kids pool...

I went on a Disney cruise back in 1999, and never saw my kid cousins, except at dinner. I sent DF an e-mail telling him how much I'd like to go on another cruise, since I was just under 18 on the last one, and really want to try Palo and the spa. Especially since my parents and other adult relatives all ate there, and said how good it was.

dahuffy 06-12-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkkognito (Post 19154886)
Hubby and I have no kids and have been on almost 60 Disney cruises!! We see Mickey and the gang as an enhancement, but not as the sole reason. I'd rather do Disney than RCCL any day (done 4 on RCCL) because Disney is the one that actually enforces their adults-only areas (well, usually...I was rather disappointed in Cove Cafe's enforcement...or lack thereof...on my last Wonder trip, but I hope it was just an anomaly). The adult pool area, adult beach on Castaway Cay, brunch and dinner at Palo....ahhhhhhhhhh!! And the spa...don't even get me started! I could live there.

I've seen characters in the adult areas occasionally, but they don't make a point of coming to them...and I've never seen any in the spa!

Ditto!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.