The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New rules about transferring points question? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1200804)

las3888 08-19-2006 08:35 PM

New rules about transferring points question?

We have 3 separate smaller resale contracts that we use for our DVC stays. We occasionally transfer points to make up the balance for a stay, and occasionally we just book 2 nights from one contract, 3 nights from another contract etc. It all depends on the situation, how soon the points are expiring, many other factors. Are they really going to ban me from transferring points into and out of my contracts other than 1x per year? It's obvious the points are all ours...they are in my DH and my name. We are using them for ressies that are connected to one another. I just hate to get pigeon-holed and hope not to end up in a situation when we end up losing points because we couldn't transfer them and maybe there weren't enough in one account (i.e. 25 points or something) in one account when we are trying to book a 2BR and 25 points won't get us even 1 night's stay....thoughts from the boards???

Dean 08-19-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by las3888
We have 3 separate smaller resale contracts that we use for our DVC stays. We occasionally transfer points to make up the balance for a stay, and occasionally we just book 2 nights from one contract, 3 nights from another contract etc. It all depends on the situation, how soon the points are expiring, many other factors. Are they really going to ban me from transferring points into and out of my contracts other than 1x per year? It's obvious the points are all ours...they are in my DH and my name. We are using them for ressies that are connected to one another. I just hate to get pigeon-holed and hope not to end up in a situation when we end up losing points because we couldn't transfer them and maybe there weren't enough in one account (i.e. 25 points or something) in one account when we are trying to book a 2BR and 25 points won't get us even 1 night's stay....thoughts from the boards???

If they're totally separate contracts, yes they will. And hence my argument that this will hurt the casual members more than those who rent consistently.

Longhairbear 08-20-2006 03:45 AM

Hi Dean,
Could you explain your theory? Just asking for clarification, as I have 4 contracts in my name all the same resort and use year. The last 3 were add ons, and one contract has only 10 points in it, to make up for the total I was purchasing. Doesn't DVC just take a few points from each contract to fill a ressie? That has been the pattern I have noticed on my account.
However if I had one of those contacts at a different resort, I could understand that using points from that contract for an 11 month window would require a transfer/morph. I think that is what I assumed, and decided against buying at SSR, and doing an add on instead through DVC.
Does your arguement of hurting the casual member, mean that those that have several contracts,all at different resorts will now be limited to one transfer, if booking before 7 months?
Frank
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean
If they're totally separate contracts, yes they will. And hence my argument that this will hurt the casual members more than those who rent consistently.

Dean 08-20-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhairbear
Hi Dean,
Could you explain your theory? Just asking for clarification, as I have 4 contracts in my name all the same resort and use year. The last 3 were add ons, and one contract has only 10 points in it, to make up for the total I was purchasing. Doesn't DVC just take a few points from each contract to fill a ressie? That has been the pattern I have noticed on my account.
However if I had one of those contacts at a different resort, I could understand that using points from that contract for an 11 month window would require a transfer/morph. I think that is what I assumed, and decided against buying at SSR, and doing an add on instead through DVC.
Does your arguement of hurting the casual member, mean that those that have several contracts,all at different resorts will now be limited to one transfer, if booking before 7 months?
Frank

IMO, it does harm the average member far more than the renters. It means you canít feasibly add a few points to round out a reservation, many wonít be comfortable with that isolated renal situation to pay for a cruise or the like, that rental prices will likely go higher and that those who would have transferred as a rental will be more inclined to lock up high demand weeks for rental. A single member with multiple contracts will likely be affected in that if they transfer from one contract to another, it locks that option out the rest of that use year for both contracts.

In your situation with the multiple contract in one Master Contract, if I understand correctly, you aren't transferring from one contract to another with regular usage so at least you're not tying them up that way. However, you will only have one transfer per master contract where if they were totally separate contracts, you would get one per each individual contract.

Shawn 08-23-2006 11:41 AM

I haven't been on the DIS for a month or two, so this is all new to me. I'm a DVD member, but I never receive the email that others received it seems, and I don't see this announcement posted on the DVC site. Could somebody post the original email for me?

-Shawn

LisaS 08-23-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn
I haven't been on the DIS for a month or two, so this is all new to me. I'm a DVD member, but I never receive the email that others received it seems, and I don't see this announcement posted on the DVC site. Could somebody post the original email for me?

-Shawn

I believe the same info that was sent out via email is listed in the latest issue of Vacation Magic. I'm having some problems with my PC at the moment so I can't reproduce the text of it here, but you can access it on the members' website. From the "Just for Members" menu, select "Member Publications". Then under the paragraph entitled "Vacation Magic", click the link: "View Latest Issue".

ETA: Got it. Here it is:
Quote:

Policies protect personal use and enjoyment
In a continuing effort to maximize Members' personal enjoyment of their Membership, Disney Vacation Club would like to remind Members about several related policies outlined in the Public Offering Statement and other Member documents.

As a reminder, published policies limit the use of accommodations and recreational facilities solely to the personal use and enjoyment of Owners, their lessees, Guests, exchangers and invitees and for recreational uses by corporations and other entities owning Ownership Interests in a Unit.

To maximize the availability of reservations for these permitted purposes, Disney Vacation Club closely monitors reservations and may cancel reserved accommodations if a pattern of rental activity for profit is discovered.

Additionally, current policies limit Vacation Point-transfer transactions to one transfer per Member or Membership, either as transferee or transferor, during a given Use Year.

"We want to ensure that Members have the greatest opportunity to enjoy the magic of Membership," said Leigh Anne Nieman, Director of Business Standards and Regulatory Affairs for Disney Vacation Club. "With that in mind, we're committed to maximizing the availability of Ownership Interests and accommodations for Members' personal enjoyment, and we're committed to enforcing the policies that help us deliver on that commitment."

It has always been the policy of Disney Vacation Club that Membership is designed specifically to provide long-term personal enjoyment, and Members shouldn't purchase their Membership as an appreciable short-term investment.

mochabean 08-24-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhairbear
Hi Dean,
Frank

If you have ONE master contract and the three others were addons with the same master contract number, then MS can take points from whatever contract to complete a reservation without transferring.

In the OP's case the three contracts are all master contracts with three different contract numbers because they were purchased resale and not as addons. Thus MS cannot take points from other contracts to complete a reservation. They need to be officially transferred before completing the reservation.

To the OP: In your situation the best bet is judicious use of banking and borrowing. As long as you vacation often enough it won't matter. You won't lose those 25 points just because they aren't enough to book a 2BR if you bank them. Obviously this makes the system less flexible to the people who vacation less often but that is the rule, and it seems to penalize people who have multiple separate contracts purchased through resale.

Shawn 08-24-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaS
ETA: Got it. Here it is:

Thank you Lisa.

crisi 08-24-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochabean

To the OP: In your situation the best bet is judicious use of banking and borrowing. As long as you vacation often enough it won't matter. You won't lose those 25 points just because they aren't enough to book a 2BR if you bank them. Obviously this makes the system less flexible to the people who vacation less often but that is the rule, and it seems to penalize people who have multiple separate contracts purchased through resale.

And lots of planning. Its doable, but this is another example of why timeshares are best for planners and not great for "hey, lets take Aunt Sue down for a trip next month!"

pat-rick 08-24-2006 12:04 PM

I have 2 contracts purchased through Disney but with different UY's.
I have done a transfer every year. We normally take a Thanksgiving trip with up to 12 people and use several rooms. I do not have enough points to do it all with 1 UY so I transfer any balance needed to the original and leave whats remaining in the 2nd for a short stay or 2.
Now my daughter has purchased a contract and until now I had planned to transfer to her points if the need arose. With the transfer limitation now to 1-time per year/contract my transfer at Thanksgiving will kill my options.

mochabean 08-24-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat-rick
I have 2 contracts purchased through Disney but with different UY's.
I have done a transfer every year. We normally take a Thanksgiving trip with up to 12 people and use several rooms. I do not have enough points to do it all with 1 UY so I transfer any balance needed to the original and leave whats remaining in the 2nd for a short stay or 2.
Now my daughter has purchased a contract and until now I had planned to transfer to her points if the need arose. With the transfer limitation now to 1-time per year/contract my transfer at Thanksgiving will kill my options.

If you are booking several rooms then it will be easy, just book as many room nights as you can with one contract and the rest with the other contract. If there are a few points left in one of the accounts that won't get used, just bank them. That way you can still transfer to your daughter if you need to, and if you don't then you can transfer the extra few points instead of banking.

keishashadow 08-24-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

If you have ONE master contract and the three others were addons with the same master contract number, then MS can take points from whatever contract to complete a reservation without transferring.

In the OP's case the three contracts are all master contracts with three different contract numbers because they were purchased resale and not as addons. Thus MS cannot take points from other contracts to complete a reservation. They need to be officially transferred before completing the reservation.

True but,

not @ 11 month window for different resorts.

Example:

my original contract is @ WLV,

add on @ BWV...

can't use the BWV points to book ressie @ WLV until the 7 month window & vice-a-versa.

Enough to rock my boat until I add on to complete my holdings. Don't think for a minute DVC hasn't figured out that angle & is hustling to close it.

mochabean 08-24-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keishashadow
True but,

not @ 11 month window for different resorts.

Example:

my original contract is @ WLV,

add on @ BWV...

can't use the BWV points to book ressie @ WLV until the 7 month window & vice-a-versa.

Enough to rock my boat until I add on to complete my holdings. Don't think for a minute DVC hasn't figured out that angle & is hustling to close it.

You couldn't do that before and stay within the rules. You would have to morph points to use the BWV points to book a ressie @ WLV before the 7 month window. This really hasn't changed at all. Morphing is the loophole DVC needs to close; whether they are hustling or not I don't know. Clearly limiting the transfers to 1 per year mitigates the morphing issue somewhat but doesn't eliminate it.

In Longhairbear's case all 4 contracts are the same home resort and UY so it wouldn't matter.

keishashadow 08-25-2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

You couldn't do that before and stay within the rules. You would have to morph points to use the BWV points to book a ressie @ WLV before the 7 month window. This really hasn't changed at all. Morphing is the loophole DVC needs to close; whether they are hustling or not I don't know. Clearly limiting the transfers to 1 per year mitigates the morphing issue somewhat but doesn't eliminate it.

In Longhairbear's case all 4 contracts are the same home resort and UY so it wouldn't matter.

So, longhairbear has 4 sep. contracts w/same UY all @ same resort & they're add-ons...didn't think an addon contract could only have 10 points in it? I thought 25 points were the min. for add-ons? Must be missing something in the translation.

My point exactly on the "morphing" or transferring between contracts, it's a no-go. We've been careful to buy points that match our UY & resort to avoid this situation.

IMO, this enforcement effects DVC'ers w/mutiple small resales the same as "commercial" & probably is designed in part to either drive out or make it necessary to complete, small memberships.

LisaS 08-25-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keishashadow
So, longhairbear has 4 sep. contracts w/same UY all @ same resort & they're add-ons...didn't think an addon contract could only have 10 points in it? I thought 25 points were the min. for add-ons? Must be missing something in the translation.

Disney can break up an existing contract and sell you part of it, but I don't think they can combine contracts to make a larger one. So I think a 10-point contract might occur in the following scenario. Let's say you want to buy a 110-point add-on from Disney. They have two 100-point contracts in your use year that they got via ROFR. They sell you one of the 100-point contract and they break up the other 100-pointer and sell you 10 points from that contract. Now if you asked to buy a 10-point add-on, the answer would be "no", but I believe I read a post here where Disney sold someone an N-point add-on that consisted of 3 contracts in total, so I think it's possible to end up with a contract that is smaller than 25 points as part of a larger add-on.

Quote:

IMO, this enforcement effects DVC'ers w/mutiple small resales the same as "commercial" & probably is designed in part to either drive out or make it necessary to complete, small memberships.
I wondered that as well. We did see Disney become more aggressive about buying up small contracts via ROFR during the months leading up to this announcement. I don't know if it was one of the goals of the enforcement or just a beneficial (for Disney) side effect.