The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Travel time within Disney... Please ANYONE.. HELP!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1061876)

domesticdiva 03-20-2006 11:38 AM

Travel time within Disney... Please ANYONE.. HELP!!

Travel time within Disney... Help ... Please!!!!I am buzzing with excitement here, our first Disney trip is 63 days away, whoo hoo! We had to make resevations for meals through our paid meal plan, I just am confused on travel time within the parks. Most of our meals (dinner) are in Magic Kingdom or Epcot, I just want to know if its reasonable to think that we can be at another park, ie the water parks or others and make it back to the place where we have our resevations without to much hassle. What is the travel time like from park to park when using the bus service that disney provides? I have been trying to make itinerarys for each day but I'm lost, should I just change some of my reservations to suit my park plans or should we be okay for the most part? ANY advice would be great!!! :sunny:

llp479 03-20-2006 09:21 PM

Depending on where you are, it can take up to an hour to get to the MK using Disney Transportation. Getting between MGM and Epcot takes about 30 minutes by boat, and that gets you to the International Gateway. Depending on where in the park you are eating, you need to add that time as well.

It also can take a fair amount of time to get through security and the gates, so you need to account for that as well. Busses run every 20 minutes, so if you miss the bus to your destination, you're looking at roughly a 20 minute wait for the next one. Where are you staying? That can make a difference as well.

tchrrx 03-20-2006 09:27 PM

Here is a webstie that I have been using as a guideline for planning time between parks.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/trans...portation1.cfm

Since I haven't been to WDW since I was a child, I have no idea how accurate this site is. Maybe someone with more experience could check it out to let us know how accurate the times are. Hope this helps!

tcolbert 03-20-2006 09:42 PM

It definitely takes time getting around the parks and hotels through the bus system. It has taken us 45 minutes to get from Wilderness Lodge to Disney Marketplace (close to the water parks). I would plan for as much time as possible, and would strongly recommend checking with your hotel for travel times.

39CINDERELLA 03-21-2006 06:53 AM

Here is another site that I like princess:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.asp

jloz 03-21-2006 09:20 AM

One thing I recommend is getting the direct numbers for all restuarants you will be eating at from CM when making ADRs. They will give you the phone number if you ask. Then either program them in your cell phone or carry them with you. This way if you are running late, you can call them and let them know and they will still hold your reservation.

We were almost 45 minutes late for our ADR at 50's Prime time due to slow moving family and just missing the bus from Pop to MGM then long lines at the gates. I called and told them we were running late and would definately be there and they said no problem, we will hold it for you. When we arrived and checked in, I apologized for our tardiness, they said thank you for calling and that our table would be available ASAP. We were seated within 5 minutes. A little courtesy on your part is appreciated by the CMs and then you still have your valuable ADR and a good evening. :)

skooniebird 03-21-2006 09:57 AM

We tried to do most of our reservations at the parks we were visiting on that day. But I scheduled our days using the guide of which parks were least busy on certain days and 2 of the character breakfasts didn't coincide with the park we ate at versus the one we were actually going to spend the day at. Since you are traveling at a fairly busy time, I would give yourself a good time cushion. Transpo is alot more crowded. You could wait 15 to 20 minutes for a bus, then with all it's stops, it could be another 30. I would get to the bus stop from where you are leaving for your reservation at least an hour before the reservation. If you notice large crowds, then err on the positive side, and go 75 to 90 minutes. you really won't know for sure until you get there, see the crowds, and get a feel for how everything is running. Good luck.

VRodKen 03-21-2006 03:53 PM

Hi,

We're staying at the Disney New Orleans hotel. We have to take a boat or bus to get around. Any tips on how far we are from everything?

Thanks!

VRodKen
:moped:

JulieNMM 03-21-2006 04:18 PM

I don't want to spend my whole vacation on a bus! :guilty: We have a rental car and will be driving from place to place.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get from our Downtown Disney Hotel (Doubletree Suites) to say the MK? We have a AAA parking pass so we should get premium parking...

Is it generally a lot quicker to drive than take Disney transportation?

TIA!
JULIE

Going to WDW 4/1-4/8/2006 :cool1:

kayebee 03-21-2006 04:32 PM

Just got back this morning and I think the biggest surprise for us was how long it took to get from place to place. We stayed on site and I don't think it ever took us less than an hour to get to the park or to get back to the hotel.

There's a lot to factor in, least of which is distance. We had a car, but I'm not sure if that saves you much time, since you have to factor in the time it takes to hike from the parking lot (or take the tram, or wait for the tram) to the park entrance.

There's also the amount of time it takes to simply wade through the crowds, particularly near the entrance/Main Street at the Magic Kingdom, which was almost impassable from 3pm until the park closed.

If you have reservations someplace, I would recommend at least an hour, and you'd be better off with an hour and a half cushion, to make it on time.

JulieNMM 03-21-2006 04:45 PM

Never mind....

I just went here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/trans...portation1.cfm

as recommend in a previous post and it tells you exactly what you need to know! :wizard: It gives you directions from lots of places to lots of other places for both using Disney transportation and by car.

What a great find!!! Thanks!! :grouphug:

JULIE
Going to WDW 4/1-4/8/2006 :cool1: