PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Daniel

Viki
01-07-2006, 06:30 PM
OK, you have to forgive me, but as a religious professional (with nothing else to watch) I felt compelled to tune in last night and catch the premier episode of the "The Book of Daniel." Apparently the religious right has been busily weighing in their shock and awe, so here's my review:

1. The theology was very weak. In a nutshell? They should hire me. I'll take them to the same place, but with more nuance and depth, while the end product is still easily digested by the masses. Think Carl Sagan, only in theology, rather than physics.

2. Love the martini-swilling wife. Hmmm, wonder why?

3. Love the vicodin-popping pastor with the pesky parishioners. (No vicodin-popping here, but see #2).

4. OK! Of course I love the gay son. But he'd better not be as angelic as they're setting him up to be. Some real co-dependency issues lurking there.

5. ADORE the adopted Asian son. What a free spirit. Bring it!

6. Ellen Burstyn could be my Bishop any day of the week, especially with that miter! Fashion rules, baby!

OK, any thoughts?

OrlandoMike
01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I thought I'd catch it for the heck of it, having seen all the press.

The first 15 minutes were OK, but a half an hour into it I realized I had another addiction on my hands!

Anyone who has grown up in the midwest as a Luthern can certainly understand all of the things that are "swept under the carpet" in this show!

I loved it!

Mike

TheOtherVillainess
01-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Watched it tonight from being taped last night. Wow. I didn't recognize the name Ellen Burstyn (how silly of me) until I recognized her. My mind immediately went "VIVI DARLIN'!". Squee! :teeth:

I thought it was..interesting. I'm going to watch to see what develops, merely out of sheer morbid curiosity. Though I did like Jesus..he was a pretty interesting character.

TOV

disneynutt1225
01-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I dunno, I didn't really think much of the show. It didn't seem to have much of a point, IMO. But, I'll give it another shot and probably, like TOV, watch it out of morbid curiosity.

doubletrouble_vb
01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I thought it was over the top. Way too many things going on at the same time in one small immediate family. Definitely not another addiction for me. They should hire some of the writers from Six Feet Under.

Viki
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I thought I'd catch it for the heck of it, having seen all the press.

The first 15 minutes were OK, but a half an hour into it I realized I had another addiction on my hands!

Anyone who has grown up in the midwest as a Luthern can certainly understand all of the things that are "swept under the carpet" in this show!

I loved it!

Mike

OMG, Mike. YOU were raised Lutheran? I am a Lutheran pastor!

Enough said!

Chuck S
01-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I liked this show, it seems a little more subtle than Desperate Housewives. And the way Jesus is portrayed is nice, helpful, giving advice but not being "pushy", a nice laid back guy, no hellfire and brimstone.

nordkin
01-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I liked the show, but did not like the way it portrayed the Episcopal Bishops or Rector. At least all the Bishops I know are not having affairs with one another. We will watch again to see where it goes.

TheOtherVillainess
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
That reminds me..did anybody else find the way they portrayed the wife with Alzheimer's a little disturbing? :eek:

TOV

iankh
01-07-2006, 11:39 PM
We had TiVo'd it and watched it tonight. We sort of liked it. Need to see how they develop it.

Swimnoid
01-08-2006, 08:56 AM
I enjoyed it but couldnt see what all the hype was about. The family is definitely more fun the Camdens though! :rotfl:

OrlandoMike
01-08-2006, 12:08 PM
OMG, Mike. YOU were raised Lutheran? I am a Lutheran pastor!

Enough said!'

Wonder bread, Grape Juice, Covered Dish, Jello Molds, Pot Luck suppers in the church basement!

That Luthern enough for ya? :rotfl2:

eclectics
01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
That reminds me..did anybody else find the way they portrayed the wife with Alzheimer's a little disturbing? :eek:

TOV

Disturbing in what way? Sadly, that's what Alzheimers is. The portrayal was quite accurate. I liked the show very much. A little wicked in it's humor but I enjoy that. The pace was a little frantic at times but I'm sure it will find it's pace. I found nothing offensive so, as usual, the people that were so offended were the people that already had their minds made up to be offended.

eclectics
01-08-2006, 04:29 PM
'

Wonder bread, Grape Juice, Covered Dish, Jello Molds, Pot Luck suppers in the church basement!

That Luthern enough for ya? :rotfl2:

Don't forget the Women's Altar Guild annual spiral bound cookbook with ten different recipes for hamburger upside down casserole.

OrlandoMike
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Don't forget the Women's Altar Guild annual spiral bound cookbook with ten different recipes for hamburger upside down casserole.

Vacation Bible School! The list goes on and on.......

TheOtherVillainess
01-15-2006, 11:35 AM
OMG..I grew up in a Lutheran Church and this is so funny,because it reminds me of growing up.

Most of our 'older kids' (3-5th grade and up)Sunday school classrooms were in the former parsonage (which sat across from the church itself). We called the basement "The Pit". XD

And according to church legend, the reason the youth group quit taking annual trips to Turner Falls,Oklahoma to go camping is that EVERY SINGLE TIME they went up there, somebody came back pregnant. :rotfl:

We also had an annual play based on DaVinci's "Last Supper", with the Eucharist being passed down the aisle instead of being recieved at the communion rail.

TOV

Viki
01-15-2006, 02:06 PM
OM gosh I'm Lutheran and I've been to Turner Falls - but not pregant! :)

MissMichelle
01-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Hmmmm...Interesting thoughts on this show...Now I have to try and catch the next one since I missed it....Thanks for all the reviews ;)

TheOtherVillainess
01-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Viki--LOL

Did ya'll also have like these weekend lock-ins that were supposed to make you more spiritual? I forget what they were called, but it was run by a volunteer group of older teens/college students and you could only go once. One of the highlights was getting a 'warm fuzzy' (basically a yarn pompom ball) from people you made friends with over the weekend. :)

TOV

Viki
01-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, TOV. I'm afraid I'm a convert to Lutheranism; I grew up Baptist, though we too had lock-ins, but nearly as elaborate (or as PRODUCTIVE) as yours!

TheOtherVillainess
01-16-2006, 05:58 PM
LOL
Lutherans can be pretty wacky, though not nearly as wacky as the Southern Baptists we have down here. :rotfl:

TOV

Viki
01-20-2006, 07:14 PM
OK, guys, are we ready for the next installment, involving our favorite priest with feet of clay?

OrlandoMike
01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Jesus am I ready!

Missed last week because of a cold!

Just booked a last minute Vegas trip online $$$ (In the last hour) with the X. (Yes the current knows and approves),

Need to get up early if I want a sneak peak at Everest,

Very busy time at work,

Needless to say...Mixing a very very dirty martini!

Bring it on!

Viki
01-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh, Mike, I've had two dirtys! One Ttoo many! But I'm ready and waiting!

OrlandoMike
01-20-2006, 08:50 PM
So excited........

The boys are counting down their vacation clock.....

I get to ride Everest in the AM

Vegas in three weeks

And a dysfunctional Protastant family on TV!

Does life get any better?

hey Viki, toss me an olive!

Viki
01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
So excited........

The boys are counting down their vacation clock.....

I get to ride Everest in the AM

Vegas in three weeks

And a dysfunctional Protastant family on TV!

Does life get any better?

hey Viki, toss me an olive!

Here it comes.... CATCH....... IT!!!!!!

OrlandoMike
01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
NBC pulled the plug on this show.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted! :confused3

Blknjman
01-25-2006, 11:33 PM
NBC pulled the plug on this show.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted! :confused3

Why is it those who have a limited or narrow view of Christian Religion have the right to dictate what can and can not be on TV. The Christian Right does not pay my cable bill. My TV remote comes with an off of switch, if they did not like the show then they could switch to Wrestling.

iankh
01-26-2006, 05:49 AM
I don't want to jump to conclusions. Why was the show pulled? Was it ratings or pressure from the Christian right?

If it is the latter, then, well, one more reason to get angry.

I am not nor have ever been Christian and am getting tired of having "Christian Values" shoved down my throat as regular as asprin.

But, I will reserve my dose of getting worked up for the day until there is further information.

http://www.ozhasspoken.com/images/mendlethemouse.jpg

Viki
01-26-2006, 06:47 AM
I am a Christian (they sort of make that mandatory before they ordain you to be a minister in the Christian faith), but I enjoyed the show. Oh, well, at least there is still Numbers, which appeals to the science geek who also lives inside of me. Have we already seen the last show? :(

Blknjman
01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't want to jump to conclusions. Why was the show pulled? Was it ratings or pressure from the Christian right?
If it is the latter, then, well, one more reason to get angry.
I am not nor have ever been Christian and am getting tired of having "Christian Values" shoved down my throat as regular as asprin.
But, I will reserve my dose of getting worked up for the day until there is further information.

It was unfortunately all about the pressures of Right wing Christians putting the screws to the NBC Network and Advertisers. :mad:

RoyalCanadian
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I am a Christian (they sort of make that mandatory before they ordain you to be a minister in the Christian faith),

However, it must be readily admitted that a lack of faith in Jesus Christ doesn't seem to be considered much of a handicap for those seeking ordination as perhaps it once was. Among some of the "young bucks" I see at the local Lutheran seminary it almost seems to be a prerquisite.

Lutheran pastor here, ELC in Canada.

Let us not forget confirmation class as a right of passage. This is most certainaly true.

Viki
01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, I can answer my own question, not more Book of Daniel. Not tonight, not any night. Gosh darn.

Viki
01-28-2006, 08:02 AM
He was your boyfriend? Way cool.

I'm bummed too. It wasn't the best show on TV, but it was fun. Last night it was back to Numbers, which I used to like, but I walked away thinking it wasn't the best written show on TV either - one cliche after another, at least "The Book" wasn't that.

gr8ful4Him
01-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I absolutely adored this show and I'm angry that some fanatical right wing christian group gets to decide what I watch. I'm sick of this crap!!! :furious:
FWIW, it wasn't the fanatical right wing Christian group that got NBC to pull the plug...it was the ratings. T.V. is a business and if there's not enough customers for your product, you're going to change products if you want to continue to make money. I know there was some controversy in some markets where NBC stations pulled the plug on the show prior to it airing. I think that was wrong...people should have the choice and make up their own minds.
My dh is a pastor and watched it a few times and really enjoyed it (I would have too, but I'm wiped out and in bed by the time it came on!). From his synopsis, I think the show gave a realistic look at what can happen (especially to a pastor's family) if we turn our eyes away from Jesus.

Chuck S
01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
FWIW, it wasn't the fanatical right wing Christian group that got NBC to pull the plug...it was the ratings. T.V. is a business and if there's not enough customers for your product, you're going to change products if you want to continue to make money. I know there was some controversy in some markets where NBC stations pulled the plug on the show prior to it airing. I think that was wrong...people should have the choice and make up their own minds.
My dh is a pastor and watched it a few times and really enjoyed it (I would have too, but I'm wiped out and in bed by the time it came on!). From his synopsis, I think the show gave a realistic look at what can happen (especially to a pastor's family) if we turn our eyes away from Jesus.

Yes and no, while it was technically ratings...how did the Christian Right affect them? After all, many, many, ministers and churches were on this campaign before the first show aired...and some folks who normally would have watched it, then made up their minds as to whether they liked it, were told from the pulpit not to even watch it.

gr8ful4Him
01-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes and no, while it was technically ratings...how did the Christian Right affect them? After all, many, many, ministers and churches were on this campaign before the first show aired...and some folks who normally would have watched it, then made up their minds as to whether they liked it, were told from the pulpit not to even watch it.
Ok, I agree with you on this...sometimes people in the church hear "such 'n such" Christian organization or a preacher say things about something and they then decide they will just go by their opinion and not watch/listen/play it. But then again, isn't that the way that alot of entertainment arenas work? Take movies for instance...a reviewer says a movie is nothing but garbage, boring, or whatever and gives it thumbs down...and alot of people don't go to see it. The ratings go down and it's out on dvd before the projectors have a chance to cool down.
...but don't believe that people always adhere to what is said from the pulpit. lol

OrlandoMike
01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
This is the artilce I found...........

One NBC affiliate after another dropped the show. Advertisers ran from it. And, apparently, despite all the controversy it generated, so did viewers.

Nashville's WSMV-TV General Manager Elden Hale, Jr. said: "Based on a review of the first three episodes and the clearly voiced concerns from our viewers, we have determined that the program 'The Book of Daniel' is not appropriate for broadcast television in this community."

After the first three episodes, only Burlington Coat Factory was left as a national sponsor.

The heat began to generate for the show following WND's first story. Shortly afterward, the American Family Association launched a national boycott, citing WND's story.

AFA Chairman Donald E. Wildmon said NBC's decision to cancel the program is instructive.

"This shows the average American that he doesn't have to simply sit back and take the trash being offered on TV, but he can get involved and fight back with his pocketbook," he said.

The network had to absorb millions of dollars in losses each time it aired the program, Wildmon pointed out, because the show's sponsors bailed out.

"We want to thank the 678,394 individuals who sent e-mails to NBC and the thousands who called and e-mailed their local affiliates," he added.

Besides Nashville, other NBC affiliates across the nation either never aired the show or stopped broadcasting it. They included Hattiesburg, Miss.; Meridian, Miss.; Jackson, Miss.; Amarillo, Texas; Wichita, Kan.; Beaumont, Texas; and Terre Haute, Ind.

Only six episodes of the "Book of Daniel" were shot. Kevin Reilly, NBC Entertainment president, said the network's reluctance to order more episodes had more to do with the series' sluggish ratings performance than controversy.

"We're going to continue to put on creative programming, regardless of any possible controversy," Reilly said last week. Earlier, he announced the cancellation of "West Wing."

The network has slated an episode of "Law and Order" in place of "Daniel" for this Friday at 10 p.m. Eastern.

OhioGrumpyGirl
01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
That really really really really sucks that it is not on!!! I loved that show!!! I am not gay or a religious fanatic either, but I never missed it. Now what am I supposed to watch? :confused3

OrlandoMike
01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
The show was only on for three weeks, if the ratings were bad for another show, the show would have been moved to another time slot and heavily advertised. I am fully convinced this show was pulled due to pressure from the "W" crowd.

It really irks me how these people think they can control everyone's life!

What happend to the day when if you didnt like something you simply did not watch it?

Saxton
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Mike - you've got a point. I saw a couple commercials for it before it aired and then nothing. I never got to see an episode so I can't comment on the quality of the show, but networks usually do increase advertising and change time slots if they want something to succeed. It doesn't appear as though they really cared about making this show last. The premise sounded interesting and I'm sorry I didnt' get to see it.

Hazy
01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi-

For those who don't know and what to see the final two episodes of "The Book of Daniel," they are being shown in full and without commercials on the NBC website. They are showing episode 5 now through this week, and the final episode next week. I just got done watching episode 5, and the final minutes broke my heart. Next weeks episode looks just as good. It is SO sad these final episodes are not going to air on network television. What a great show this was.

Hazy

Chuck S
01-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Thank you, Hazy, for posting. I watched Episode 5 last night. Great show.

Hazy
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Your welcome Chuck! Glad you liked the show as well.

Hazy

ibouncetoo
02-03-2006, 10:54 PM
After 35 years in the business I can tell you, No advertisers = no show. And by week two they were dropping like flies.

Regina
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi-

For those who don't know and what to see the final two episodes of "The Book of Daniel," they are being shown in full and without commercials on the NBC website. They are showing episode 5 now through this week, and the final episode next week. I just got done watching episode 5, and the final minutes broke my heart. Next weeks episode looks just as good. It is SO sad these final episodes are not going to air on network television. What a great show this was.

Hazy

Thanks for this tip. Just in case anyone forgets, this week is probably your last chance to see the final episode. I just watched it. Extremely well written but depressing for the most part.

I'm sure that they'll find yet another cop show to replace it. I can see it now - CSI: Bible. :rolleyes: