PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with the Stars...A Guilty Pleasure

Viki
01-07-2006, 04:38 PM
OK, I confess, not only do I like the more PC "The L Word," I absolutely ADORE "Dancing with the Stars." I mean come on, some of those guys have to be gay!

So while I was happy that big-lips Lisa Renna (sp?) survived the cut last night, I was very unhappy that ESPN sports commentator guy Kenny got cut. Of course he was awful, but he was also awfully funny. The dreaded audience with their incredibly youthful demographic strikes again!

Anybody else except me and Penny hooked on this one?

nordkin
01-07-2006, 06:55 PM
My partner Joi and I are also hooked on this. We are trying to find ballroom dance lessons for gay couples in the DC area because it has been a dream of mine since I was young to learn to ballroom and tap dance. She is willing to learn so we have more couple time.

disneynutt1225
01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I love it! I actually forced DFi to watch it with me the other night and he seemed to think it was ok. I'm very disappointed that Master P made the cut. What was that about?? I guess it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.

DSDopey48
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
This a great show, Last year was so much fun to watch I couldnt wait till this season, now I have to work nights and ahave to tape it but thats okay still fun to catch up. :earsgirl:

TinkerChelle
01-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I needed some mindless TV to escape from the stress that has become my life these days and lo and behold....I stumbled upon what I needed! :rotfl: And yes I am hooked! Being that I am a reality junkie, I guess I am not surprised. But, I was surprised to hear the ESPN sports guy mention he was listening to Dead Man Walking by Pearl Jam before the show where he was eliminated. My other passion besides Disney is PEARL JAM! Why did they have to be mentioned on Dancing with the Stars? :scratchin Of course, I WAS watching it myself...so how could I complain about that? :teeth:

PennyW
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Anybody else except me and Penny hooked on this one?
I'm still loving it. Go Giselle and Tatum! The Master P thing was astounding to me - why is he still there?

Other television addictions: The OC, Lost, Medium, CSI Miami, L Word, Survivor, -- and yes it's back this week - Beauty & the Geek :upsidedow

SeattleRedBear
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Husbear & I "accidently" caught an episode last year. We had a snake/mongoose thing going the entire episode:

"Must...turn...away...horrid...fascination...too... strong"

What was really bad was that Husbear would give his opinion and then the third judge would give the same opinion word for word! I'm happy for J. Peterman but we just can't watch it.

WDW Poly Princess
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Love it! I can't believe Master P made it to next week- That's going to be interesting to watch! My favorite part is always the footage from when they're learning, I wish they had more of that! (I guess because I spend hours ever week at the dance studio, it's fun to see other people suffer, too! ;) )

Viki
01-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Does everyone know this is on again in 15 minutes?????

janner
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm not too keen on the host, but I like to watch the dancing.

At our house, the favorite guilty pleasure is Dog the Bounty Hunter (which we refer to as the Beth Show).

Janet

Viki
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Shoot me! I just voted for Lisa and Louis. I think they are way to hard on Lisa and I'm thinking Louis MIGHT be family???

PennyW
01-13-2006, 10:36 AM
My favorites are Giselle (her partner is most definitely family), and Nick. Tatum was a bit grouchy last night, wasn't she? Still fun to watch :flower:

Viki
01-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes, I still love our favorite little Narcissist - Tatum darling! But that routine last night was really awful. Still, they were the other couple I phoned in, becauase I'm thinking together with Lisa and Louis, they might really need it. The big vote off happens in thirty minutes.

SeattleRedBear
01-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Tatum was not good last night, but to be fair, she struggled with it and I just don't think the rumba speaks to her (and what kind of a "dance" is rumba anyway...it's basically walking and posing...I think the quickstep people had a *much* harder time last night). I'm looking for Master P to be gone gone gone next week (for christ sake, PUT THE SHOES ON!!!)

But I agree with the judges, Stacy and Tony were HOT HOT HOT last night and she was the only one who I watched do the rumba and said "Why there's actually a dance there...she's really moving her feet in time with the music. What a concept!"

Viki
01-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Penny, can you believe that Tatum got voted off??? I'm so heartbroken. I'm with you, there are certainly other teams to like, but Tatum was, well, TATUM!

Saxton
01-15-2006, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=SeattleRedBear]I'm looking for Master P to be gone gone gone next week (for christ sake, PUT THE SHOES ON!!!)QUOTE]

I finally caught this the other night and I can't believe Master P is still on - he's like a monolith on granite legs! If those were his lucky shoes then he is in deep trouble. My vote is for Giselle. Wasn't she on the national news a long time ago? If so, I think her career as a serious reporter is over ... but not to worry, she looks good on the dance floor.

Viki
01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=SeattleRedBear]I'm looking for Master P to be gone gone gone next week (for christ sake, PUT THE SHOES ON!!!)QUOTE]

I finally caught this the other night and I can't believe Master P is still on - he's like a monolith on granite legs! If those were his lucky shoes then he is in deep trouble. My vote is for Giselle. Wasn't she on the national news a long time ago? If so, I think her career as a serious reporter is over ... but not too worry, she looks good on the dance floor.

Now that Tatum is history, Giselle has moved into second place in my heart (following Lisa the Lips).

PennyW
01-16-2006, 10:50 AM
(following Lisa the Lips).
Viki - You and your lip fettish! ;)

I was so mad about Tatum being voted off. She didn't deserve to be booted yet! It was funny how she kept saying "I'm an actress".

Viki
01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, I'm with you Penny. No way Tatum should have been gone yet. Aside from an off night, I think she and others are being hurt by the younger demographic this show draws - or at least draws to actually call in. That's why even though I am very OLD :) and feel very silly, I still pick up the phone and call in to support which ever old fogey it looks like needs my support the most.

Viki
01-20-2006, 08:47 AM
What did you all think of the results from last night? I thought that the judges exhibited the most internal consistency I've seen so far and, once again, I hope P gets the boot tonight.

Hey, and my girl Lisa (of the lips!) really made a nice comeback, say?

PennyW
01-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree with you Viki, that the judges were finally making sense with their comments and scores. I'm still mad that Tatum was gone and the P person was out there. Hopefully, he'll be gone tonight! The Lips did make a good showing!

Who is the blonde wrestling gal? She looked quite nice last night ;)

Viki
01-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm so bad at names, but is it Stacey? My teenage son walked in last week while we were watching and recognized her right away - doing a head-snapping double take, and saying. "Is that Stacey?" - or whatever her name is. He actually sat down with his two moms and sister and watched her.

Yeah, she and her partner are real contenders!

disneynutt1225
01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I thought Master P showed a great effort, but it's time for him to go. I'm definitely pulling for either Drew (he's my #1 choice) or Lisa.

dan and scott
01-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Scott and I watch this and we are hooked! Scott calls Lisa R-fish lips, he has since she was on Days of our Lives! Master P needs to go, the others wants to be there and he is just not into it! And get rid of that HAT!

Dan

nordkin
01-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I agree Mr P needs to go. I really do not have a favorite right now, I just enjoy watching.

dan and scott
01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Actually our Vet, who is family, is a ballroom dancer-I was blown away.

Dan

PlutoEpcot
01-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I love this show!!. I am happy that Tatum got knocked off. I didn't like her that much. I am in love with gizelle and Ashley(P's partner). She was so awesome in the last season. BUt I also like Jerry rice, he is so funny. I hope that scince Dre did so good this week no one votes for him to stay in and he gets eliminated.

Viki
01-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I can't believe it. It was just announced that P and Ashely have survived one more week - which really means that someone more deserving has been cut.

SHOOT!

krdisneybound
01-20-2006, 08:51 PM
that really surprised me also. very interesting

Viki
01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
The barely moveing P wins over the elegant Giselle? Oh, my, please pass another dirty!

LJC1861
01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
I am in utter shock that that oaf Master P is still on this show. How could they even think to elimate Giselle?????

ARRGHH!!!!!!!!!

Linda

Viki
01-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I am in utter shock that that oaf Master P is still on this show. How could they even think to elimate Giselle?????

ARRGHH!!!!!!!!!

Linda

I'm with you, friend. This is unbelievable. I think the demographic has struck again.

LJC1861
01-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Viki,

Giselle even said it herself....that rap stars have a bigger fan base then newswomen. I really think that the telephone vote gets too much credit. I think that the judges votes should count for more, otherwise it just becomes a popularity contest.

Linda

Saxton
01-21-2006, 07:59 AM
I missed the results last night ... can't believe that Giselle is out and Master P is still in!! She moved well but Master P ... well, as I said before he moved like a monolith. I guess it's all the kids with their cell phones calling in. Actually, one that I'm sort of rooting for is George Hamilton. Yes, he's older and never been much of an actor but what I like is the fact that he doesn't take himself seriously. An ex was from Miami and she told me that he owned (maybe still does?) a hotel there and when they would stop by the bar for drinks after work he would be quietly sitting there in a chair doing needlepoint. Makes you wonder. ;)

PennyW
01-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm amazed as well. The last couple of weeks have taken a lot of the interest, for me, out of this show. The whole scenario just seems implausible. The one judge basically came out and said to P that he needed to go. I agree that the judges' votes should carry more weight. And it seems strange to me that so many younger people would even be watching this show, especially in such large numbers that they are able to influence the call-in portion. :confused3 Oh well!

Viki
01-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm amazed as well. The last couple of weeks have taken a lot of the interest, for me, out of this show. The whole scenario just seems implausible. The one judge basically came out and said to P that he needed to go. I agree that the judges' votes should carry more weight. And it seems strange to me that so many younger people would even be watching this show, especially in such large numbers that they are able to influence the call-in portion. :confused3 Oh well!

Penny, my teenage daughter - whom you've met! - and her friends are totally into the show, and like I said even her brother - whom you also met! - stopped to watch the wrestler lady strut her stuff.

medusa2468
01-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Yep, Master P should definitely be out instead of Giselle, but he DID make that AWESOME basketball shot through his legs with the basket behind him!! Holy smokes! But the guy soooo can not dance. I agree it seems to be a popularity contest, and that helps explain why Kenny and Giselle are both gone - because they're newscasters without a following. I'm glad to see the show limited votes per phone number, even if it IS eight instead of two or three. But I think even though P doesn't want to give up the shoes, or toss his 'lucky hat' to fit in, I still think he deserves a lot of credit for stepping in (and at the last minute) when his son couldn't do it, and for still trying pretty darn hard, and having such a good attitude instead of *****in' about it. And even though it's really not his thing, he hasn't quit! Not everyone is meant to have swivel hips and be a great dancer, but he's trying, so that should count. But yeh, I hope he's out soon.
I'm also GLAD the judge said P should go, but at least he was pretty polite about it instead of how Simon Cowell would have said it!! - and it NEEDED to be said. And Tatum, geez, I like her as an actress, and she was fun the first episode, but then she turned into a whiney, complaining, crying little brat before she was booted off, and that was what turned me off and made me glad she was gone. Otherwise, I'd have liked to see her stick around longer. I didn't look forward to possibly seeing weeks and weeks of that attitude. I know others complain, but her way was different. And what was part of her interview comment, something like "I don't think I like this show anymore." Wonder why she's gone? Duh!
Does anyone else but me think Louis looks much better with his ponytail cut off? I'm so glad Lisa dragged him in to the stylist and that he let her! (He gave the info in his blog on show website, and said the show taped the whole thing so maybe we'll see part of it.)
As for some being surprised that younger people are watching, of course they are! Where have you been? Ballroom dancing was picking up even before the show, and look at the variety of celebs they have... actors and actresses, newscasters, a football star, a rap star (and former basketball player), a female wrestler and a singer. And there's probably an equal variety of viewers new to the show as a result. I doubt wrestling fans or male football fans would have been watching the show before, but they are now! I think it's awesome. Let's just hope though that it will eventually be the best dancers competing!!

Viki
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
So??????? Will Mr. P triumph again? Did you hear, he's practiced a total of 20 hours, while the others have averaged 110?

Viki
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
P is gone! Now it gets serious!

SeattleRedBear
01-27-2006, 08:58 PM
P is gone! Now it gets serious!
Yeah!!!! FINALLY!!!! I don't have to scream JUST PUT ON THE DAMN SHOES at the TV anymore. :furious:

Viki
02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
George or Tia. I'm soooo sad. Now that Master P is history, it really gets hard. I like all the remaining dancers. Of course I'm thrilled that Ms. Lips is still a contender and I thought Jerry was unbelievably improved this week, but I hate to say goodbye to George or Tia :(

Viki
02-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Ok, friends, who is going home tonight? Who do you want to go home tonight? I'm really torn. First off, I can't believe Drew and Stacey - WOW. How are the judges every going to choose between them? You all know I love Lips and Jerry has really grown on me (thought I thought his performance last night was weak). George, of course, is George. Sigh. Big decisions.

PennyW
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm so mad, we missed Stacey's performance. Great as usual? I'll catch it on the replay tonight. I'm still pulling for Drew...he's so enthusiastic and totally into it. But either one would be a great choice...should be the final two (if the voters don't do something strange)!

Viki
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm so mad, we missed Stacey's performance. Great as usual? I'll catch it on the replay tonight. I'm still pulling for Drew...he's so enthusiastic and totally into it. But either one would be a great choice...should be the final two (if the voters don't do something strange)!

I think when push comes to shove I prefer Drew, but, Penny, Stacey once again hit it out of the park! Wow!

Viki
02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Penny? Others? Are you out there? Who is going home?

Saxton
02-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Penny? Others? Are you out there? Who is going home?

Viki - I didn't get to see it last night but I hear George is gone. I can't say that I'm surprised but I am going to miss him. As I said before, he never took himself too seriously and he seems like a nice guy that everyone likes. I really haven't seen too much of this show but from what I have seen I think it will come down to Drew and Stacey. I give them all credit because I have two left feet and can't imagine dancing like that.

Viki
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey, Sue, yes, George is gone. I'll miss him, but given the level of competition at this point it was the only fair call. Like I've said, I've been rooting for Lips and Louie (am I the only one who thinks he's gay???), but I sure do get that Stacey and Drew are the best dancers out there. Really, I can't imagine choosing between them. I guess it will come down to the last dance and that dreaded audience participation component :)

TN Traveler
02-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi Everyone.....I'm usually on the Scrapbooking thread but happened to see this topic for Dancing W/the Stars and had to make a posting. I LOVE this show!! I wish I could a 1/4th of what these folks can do on the dance floor. They're so talented it's amazing. I was sad to see George Hamilton go last night but I think it was a fair call. He will be missed though b/c I think he is truly a very nice person. I also like Jerry Rice but I think in the long run it'll come down to Drew and his partner and Stacy and her partner. With legs like Stacey's she should be able to dance forever! Looking forward to next week's show!! Must go.....left, left, right, spin, flip, left, right, left right.... :lmao:

Karen

Viki
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone.....I'm usually on the Scrapbooking thread but happened to see this topic for Dancing W/the Stars and had to make a posting. I LOVE this show!! I wish I could a 1/4th of what these folks can do on the dance floor. They're so talented it's amazing. I was sad to see George Hamilton go last night but I think it was a fair call. He will be missed though b/c I think he is truly a very nice person. I also like Jerry Rice but I think in the long run it'll come down to Drew and his partner and Stacy and her partner. With legs like Stacey's she should be able to dance forever! Looking forward to next week's show!! Must go.....left, left, right, spin, flip, left, right, left right.... :lmao:

Karen

Great to hear from you, Karen. You're welcomg to hang out here anytime you'd like and especially on this thread. It's contagious isn't it?

PennyW
02-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey Viki! We caught a little of Stacey on the results show. She looks like a professional dancer. Amazing! I was sorry to see George go; he's a charmer and was fun to watch. I'm thinking that Jerry will go next. I didn't watch the first season, and I've surprised myself by becoming hooked on this show. Too bad Giselle's still not in it though!

Viki
02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey Viki! We caught a little of Stacey on the results show. She looks like a professional dancer. Amazing! I was sorry to see George go; he's a charmer and was fun to watch. I'm thinking that Jerry will go next. I didn't watch the first season, and I've surprised myself by becoming hooked on this show. Too bad Giselle's still not in it though!

I totally agree - Giselle was wonderful and who doesn't love George - such over the top fun.

Likewise, I am far from a natural fan of reality TV, but this one has really grabbed me. My 17 year-old daughter got me hooked.

PennyW
02-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Okay, I thought last night was a really good show. Lots of dancing, and not a lot of filler. I really enjoyed Lisa the Lips (she gets better each week) and Drew (great music & choreography). Jerry should go tonight. Then it will be really tough to decide!

Kevin&Randall
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I could KILL Kevin for getting me hooked on this program. For the first season I could not help but harass co-workers when they talked about the show. Then I watched it from start to finish.

:banana: WOW!!! What fun is this? Cute boys. Amazing looking women! Fun costumes. Great music. This is good (albeit cheesy) TV!

:cheer2: Go Stacy! Go Stacy! :cheer2:

Now American Idol is on.......... Thank goodness for our DVR and the fact I can watch these things on a delay. I can't stand commercials! :crazy2:

Like they used to say in Chicago - vote early and vote often! :)

Randall

:rainbow:

Kevin&Randall
02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey, Sue, yes, George is gone. I'll miss him, but given the level of competition at this point it was the only fair call. Like I've said, I've been rooting for Lips and Louie (am I the only one who thinks he's gay???), but I sure do get that Stacey and Drew are the best dancers out there. Really, I can't imagine choosing between them. I guess it will come down to the last dance and that dreaded audience participation component :)

No straight man can flair his wrists and arms like Louis can. Add to that he's just so adorable!!!! :tongue:

Randall

:rainbow:

Viki
02-17-2006, 08:55 PM
My dad dies and Lips loses. Enough said. :(

PennyW
02-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I was so disappointed last night. I thought for sure Lips would make it another week. Poor Harry looked so sad too.

ashjohnson80
02-18-2006, 01:43 PM
don't you just love guilty pleasures? i know i have a few myself.

Viki
02-18-2006, 07:53 PM
don't you just love guilty pleasures? i know i have a few myself.

I am so happy for both of you!

T&KHayes
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Ohhh we love Drew! We were sad Lips lost, we wanted it to be Drew, Legs aka Stacy & Lips! I can't believe they kept Jerry! :crazy2:

MImom
02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Couldn't help but post. This is one of my guilty pleasures too. My kids (dd 10 and ds9 tomorrow) encouraged me to watch it and now we all watch it together. Even DH watches it on Fri nights for the vote. We all love football but still couldn't believe that Jerry Rice made it. Thought for sure that it would be down to Drew, Stacey and Lisa. Guess you never know what will happen on reality TV. Thanks to the OP for starting this post, it's fun to read everyones opinions on this show and the dancers.

TN Traveler
02-19-2006, 07:51 PM
I agree w/everyone else. As much as I like Jerry Rice and think he seems to be a very nice guy, he isn't as good of a dancer as Lisa and her partner. I think it'll come down between Drew and Stacy. From there I haven't a clue---both are SO good. If only I could do a 1/16th of their dance moves!! :worship:

Looking forward to Thursday..........

PennyW
02-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Okay, it's over! Everyone happy with the results? Drew was great, and I'm glad he won! :thumbsup2

TN Traveler
02-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Glad Drew won. Think he definitely deserved it. However, I think Stacy deserved 2nd place. But it's over and we'll wait for next year!! :banana:

Karen

T&KHayes
02-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Us too Penny!!! We are sooo happy Drew won. Him and his partner were definately the best! I did get a little nervous though when Jerry made it further then Legs (Stacy). It was definately a very intertaining show!

Viki
02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I am VERY, VERY happy with the Drew win, but like several of you, I got real scared when Jerry made number 2!

After Drew and Legs (not to mention Lips) set the bar so high this year, who in the world are they drafting next year?

PennyW
02-28-2006, 08:58 AM
who in the world are they drafting next year?How long do we have to wait to find out?? Bring it on! :)