PDA

View Full Version : New cruiser

Showe
01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
We have never cruised before and are looking forward to going in June. :flower:
Are shore excursions booked in advance to cruising - and if so how long in advance can this be done.

Otherwise, iare they just booked when you begin your cruise and are they first-come first-served type ?

I have many, many cruising questions and am learning so much by reading this board...

THANKS

musicgirl
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes, you can book them on-line or on the phone ahead of time. For 1st time DCL cruisers, you can book them 75 days out. It is 1st come 1st serve.

I have heard people book on board, but it is probably very limited choice wise.

What cruise are you going on? We're on the June 24 Western.

Showe
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
we booked the four-night June 18. Not ever having cruised before we thought we would test the waters so to speak on a four night.

It's our kids birthdays (june 5 and June 17) and this is their birthday present.

I wonder, do they do anything special for b-days - even though it is not really their birth-date ?

LOLA2
01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Do you pay for them ahead of time or on cruise?

musicgirl
01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
they will bill you on the 1st day of the cruise for the excursions.

Just tell them ahead of time, I would call, and they will celebrate even though it's not exactly their birthday. The head server is generally the one to take care of this and will ask you what night you want to celebrate. You will get a special cake at dinner.

TheWog
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
You can book ahead of time and there are certain excursions that book quickly. Banana boats on CC are one. I think dolphin experiences also book quickly. You can book onboard for any of them provided there is room. You can begin booking 60 days (it may have changed to 70) out, but check www.disneycruise.com under excursions to be certain. If you don't know what you want to do then you may want to wait and see what's up or if you meet others onboard and go with them.

If you do see something you like you can book it and have until 48 hours prior to departure to cancel. Once onboard they will charge the excursion price to your shipboard account and leave the tickets on the fish outside your door.

yargrnhoj
01-06-2006, 08:23 PM
we booked the four-night June 18. Not ever having cruised before we thought we would test the waters so to speak on a four night.

It's our kids birthdays (june 5 and June 17) and this is their birthday present.

I wonder, do they do anything special for b-days - even though it is not really their birth-date ?

Yes, you can get a birthday cake for dinner and our son got a special birthday pin when we did this in 2003. It was the day after his birthday and they had no issue. (Funny thing was we got a last minute reservation for dinner at Cinderella's Castle the day of his birthday so he got a cake there too when they saw his WDW "It's my birthday" pin -- his little brother was NOT amused at the double celebration but was happy to finish off the cakes.)

cristit14
01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
They don't give out the pins anymore. I did get a cake at dinner the first night (my b'day). Another diser had some extra b'day pins from a previous cruise and he was nice enough to give me one, thanks Dennis!