PDA

View Full Version : Taxi to paradise beach, cozumel?

vavalynn2
01-06-2006, 11:38 AM
A few questions about Paradise Beach...

From all that I can find, it sounds like it would be okay to visit on our stop to Cozumel next month.

I plan to take a cab from the pier. How much should I expect to pay? Whatever is "fair" I will pay. I know I will be walking off of a cruise ship and be easily spotted as a tourist, but just want to know what to expect. Do they take American dollars or only pesos?

Are there plenty of cabs in that area to head back to the ship as well?

As always, any information is greatly appreciated.

Serena6010
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
We were there 10/04......I think we paid between $12-$15 each way

PattiPB
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Paradise Beach is awesome, and the taxi set-up at the pier in Cozumel was great---no pressure or haggling.

Last summer we paid $25 for a minivan (we had seven people) one way to PB. My parents left PB before us, and shared a cab with another couple, which was I believe $15 total back to the pier. We left as PB was closing, and there were plenty of cabs waiting to take us back to the ship.

We LOVED our day at PB, and intend to return this summer on our next cruise. Be sure to order some guacamole and chips---to die for!!!

carmel
01-06-2006, 12:04 PM
We were at Paradise Beach a year ago. It is a very nice beach. It was a bit more crowded than I expected but that just means it is a great place to go. The food was EXCELLENT - very fresh and I had no worries about it being properly prepared. They also don't skimp on the alcohol. We are not drinkers but hubby got a bannana daquiri and I got a lime drink of some sorts and hubby got a little loopy and I couldn't finish mine. My parents got a 'yard long' virgin margarita and they put fresh fruit in the blender to make it.

One thing I regret is that I didn't have Aquasocks (or some type of swimming shoes). The floor of the ocean was a bit rockier (especially getting in) than I had experienced in any of the beaches on the Eastern route and you had to really watch where you put your foot. With the waves coming in and dodging the rocks, it took a while to get in the water.

There are also always taxis waiting at the front of the beach to take you back to the pier.

It is quite a nice beach and very family friendly.

MV_Photon
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
The Cruise Critic message board has an 11-page (and counting) thread on Paradise Beach: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=187464

goiu
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
So, how did you pay for the taxi's?

Thanks!
:earsgirl:

MV_Photon
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Taxi fares in Cozumel: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=323139

$13 to Paradise Beach.

Everyone likes US Dollars!

kaykels
01-06-2006, 06:37 PM
We paid 26.00 for a minivan in cash when we got off the ship. It's fairly organized with cars, vans and salesman standing by the curb ready to take you anywhere you want to go.

lmok
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
This sounds great!! Is there any shopping close to Paradise Beach or even Cozumel T-Shirts and stuff?

Lisa
:earsgirl: princess: princess:

kaykels
01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
No, PB is about a 20 minute drive. But there is plenty of shopping when get off of the ship. It's a beautiful 2 story outdoor mall. You can shop COMING and GOING. You have to walk through the mall to get to the ship. They know what they are doing! But if you walk a few blocks from the port there are some better deals. My daughter got a hand crafted beautiful guitar for $80.00, oh and vanilla is cheaper in town.

But there isn't much near PB except sun sand and water. Oh and great nachos.

lmok
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Rachel

That is cool that you walk through the mall to get to the port. How much was the vanilla and was it ok to take it back. Did they package it to where it would not break?

Lisa
:earsgirl: princess: princess:

kaykels
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I hate to give you an answer about the vanilla because it's supposed to be the best in the world, but there is controversy over the toxicity. Personally I love it and I've never had a problem. If memory serves, I think it's about 13.00 at the port and it's about 7 or 8.00 in town for a really big bottle. I didn't have any problem getting it home in one piece. You can do a search on the forum. There has been lots of chatter about the vanilla prices and where to get it. It smells SO GOOD!

Laurabearz
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
When you get off the boat in Cozumel and make your way to the taxi stand, you will find a large sign with all the rates to everywhere. There are guys who set you up woth the cab and I suggest saying out loud so both that guy and the cab driver hear you double check that it is per taxi not per person.

We were there 2 weeks before it was wiped out. It is good to know things are coming back.... even slowly.

Have a great trip!