PDA

View Full Version : need some help from the teens/re: sock hop for sweet 16

FINFAN
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi...just toying with ideas here, but DD will be 16 in June and has always wanted to go to a 50's sock hop. Would it be lame to have one at home, or more fun to try and rent out a gym? Not sure how many kids could come, so afraid the gym would be overkill, and the church is not available for our timeframe...would you guys go to a sock-hop, and should I try and make it a surprise?
TIA,

Pam

Princess Ash
01-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I would DEFINITELY like to go to one. I think it depends on the type of friends your daughter has. Some might think they are "too cool" for it, and some might be completely up for it. I am normally all one for surprises, but if you are having a sock hop, you probably want to have quite a few people. It might be easier to tell DD that you are having a party for her and have her help you plan the guest list...from then on you don't have to tell her the rest. I think renting out a SMALL gym is a good idea...having it at home would ruin the atmosphere and people wouldn't be able to dance, etc, IMHO. If you need any more opinions, I'd be more than happy to share!

AllyGirlie
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I would definetly go to a sock-hop. It's something different and exciting. As for whether or not to make it a surprise..well, I personally am not a fan of surprises and I usually figure it out long in advance. But that is up to you. If you are planning on making it a surprise, I would tell her maybe a week or so in advance so she can start picking out the perfect outfit, finalize invitations and what not.

That sounds so awesome though. For my sweet 16 I stayed at home and had small party with some family and friends..

FINFAN
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks so much for the input...I can fully understand the no surprise part so DD can have input. If the facility we have is over our budget, we were thinking of having both the garage and basement as the party areas...garage done up like a drive in theme, and then down to the sock hop...our basement is not finished so we do have flexibility on decorating...can even rent a "dance floor" area if needed....but facilities are going to run about $500 which is too rich for our blood for a birthday. I am going to try the YMCA etc this week to see what other options we have, or area clubhouses. One thing is key tho...to dress up for the 50's and it is a no gift party....we are looking at about 30 kids if at home and then opening that up to their families as well if renting a place.
GTG...SHE'S HOME!

Sparx
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I like the idea. I would go to it.

2HOT2touch
01-03-2006, 07:38 PM
OMG. I would LOVE to have a sock-hop!!!! I have always loved the 50s, just the other day I told my friend I wish I was a teen during the 50s...but then I thought about it lol. Yea I would deffinately say tell her about it, and the basement idea sounds good. but if you tell her and she wants to invite more people then, I would try and find a place to rent.

Daisymae26
01-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I would definitely go to a sock hop! I think the idea of renting out someplace for the party would be a good idea and add to the atmosphere. But if you can't find a relatively inexpensive place, dressing up the two rooms in your house would work too. I would tell your DD that you are having a party for her so, like Ash said, she could help with the guest list. I would reassure her though, that the party is something she would like. :goodvibes I'll be happy to give you any more suggestions! :)

FINFAN
01-03-2006, 09:26 PM
:cool1: So glad to hear you guys would like a sock hop...so I guess we will go ahead with it! I will be checking in as planning progresses...you guys rock!

Pam