PDA

View Full Version : 100 Year's of Magic Collection

DinaF
09-23-2001, 07:54 AM
Hi, pin collectors! This is my first post on this board as up until 9/22, I have not been a collector. Apparently, all that has changed!

I'm just curious if anyone is disappointed with the huge concentration of Pooh character pins (at least 11 out of 100 that I know of?). Don't get me wrong, I think they're all beautiful, but do they warrant AT LEAST 11% of the collection? I love Pooh, but I aslo love Beauty and the Beast, Mulan and Pocahontas, etc!

I saw the ad in the NYT Friday, where they showed 48 of the 100 pins. Of those 48, 10 were Pooh & Friends, and Eeyore, which was not shown in the ad, which came out yesterday, was 1 more. Perhaps it's because of Walt's personal love of Pooh? Please discuss!

Does anyone know if it's possible to preview the whole collection, and if so, where? (I hope there are no more Pooh!)

Thanks!!

Obi-Wan Pinobi
09-23-2001, 08:40 AM
Hi, Dina:

The pin trading board is more for people to post trades and wants, so I'm going to move this over to the main Collectors board.

I noticed the same about the Pooh-related characters also. In fact, I counted a total of 14 pins in the series with Pooh characters. On the flip side, I only noticed 3 with the Ducks (hopefully 4 with "Comics and Stories"). I have nothing against Pooh and I know the characters are popular, but why such a concentration on characters Walt didn't create when the pin set is supposed to honor Walt's life and achievements?

Eeyore's Pal
09-23-2001, 08:55 AM
Only three Ducks? Unbelievable. My DS#2 is devastated. I haven't counted the Goofys, but I bet it won't meet my other son's expectations.

I really liked the Tigger pin -- colors are beautiful! But that Pooh dangle? I think there are at least two or three other pins that resemble this one closely.

I agree with Obi-Wan (and who wouldn't?), Pooh does not honor Walt's memory, it is not his creation. There should have been more concentration on the lovable characters and concepts (like the parks, themselves) that Walt gave us.

DinaF
09-24-2001, 08:12 AM
Obi-Wan, since you counted 14 Pooh pins, does that mean you CAN preview the set? Please do tell where! TIA, Dina

BTW, glad I'm not alone, here!

~Kathie
09-24-2001, 08:48 AM
Hi Dina,

If you go to www.dizpins.com they will be previewing each weeks pins every Friday. They also have a list of all the pins, plus a printable checkoff list.

Luv2Roam
09-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Yeah--I don't know why so many Poohs!
Have to admit, I am not a Pooh person, but DH and both think this #2 Pooh is neat. Hey! I have the #2 Pooh DL myster pin! Kinda cool!:) Great combo!
Glad to see Toy Story and HM! Looking very forward to those!:D
There aren't any Pirates scheduled though, are there?:smooth:

Dom13
09-24-2001, 09:20 AM
I was hoping they would do a pin for each year. i.e. 1928 - Steam Boat Willie, 1929 - First Silly Symphonie, 1930 first Pluto cartoon etc. Seeing as most of the Pooh characters were 1966 and 11 of the 100 will be Pooh related I doubt that is going to happen.

I realize Disney is a business but there is much more besides Pooh that Disney, both Walt and those following in his footsteps, have done besides Pooh. I really hope the other landmarks and firsts don't get ignored to profit off Pooh!

Just checked out the Dizpin list. Niether Steamboat Willie, the First Silly Symphnoy - The Skeleton Dance or Pluto's first appearance made the cut!!

DinaF
09-24-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Kathie. That's a great site! Ironic how the intro graphic is...POOH! I hate to say this, but UGH!

DeeP
09-24-2001, 07:34 PM
Since "it all started with a mouse" and Mickey was Walt's most famous character by far and the celebration is for Walt's 100th birthday--I would have loved to see a set of pins that was all pins of Walt and Mickey. Now, that would have been a great set of pins!!!!