PDA

View Full Version : Race week--Wk of Jan 1--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera
12-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

chimera
12-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Twas the week before marathon
And quiet in the house
I was preparing this post
As I sat near my spouse.

My bags were all packed
And waiting by the bed
While visions of the finish line
Danced in my head.

I thought back o’er the year
And how far I have come
While learning to train
And preparing for this run.

It started with shoes
And finding my gait.
I never imagined
That I’d supinate.

And proper attire
Became quite the rule.
No one wants chafing
To ruin their cool.

Learning the lingo was
Particularly fun.
Who knew there’d be intervals, farmer blow,
And stonkers on a run.

When I started training,
the miles were slow.
21 minutes each...
I had far to go.

My first race was one mile
Then 3 different 5Ks.
Each one showed a gradual
Improvement in pace.

I can now proudly claim
a 14-minute mile.
I'll beat the sweepers
With grace and with style.

But now looking back
On the span of this year.
What’s meant the most is the
Friends I’ve met here.

Many thanks to you all
For your advice and support.
You would all be BIG dogs
In any kind of sport.

I look forward to meeting you
At the finish line.
If I’m the last one to get there,
That would be fine.

We’ll be together soon
For the medals we seek.
Until then...Happy New Year to all!
I’ll see you next week!

princessmomma
12-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Ah, Mel, baaahhh, waaahh, waaahh, :hug: :flower: (wiping tears away) that was great!

Here is a quote has stayed with me:

"Pain is temporary, quitting is permanent."

I will be thinking about this around mile 20-22ish.

Note to self: must add throw-away pillow to my list.

Colleen

TEK224
12-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Aww Mel. That was so nice! I can't wait to meet everybody, too.

Happy New Year and see ya at Disney World! :)

Terri

Lisa loves Pooh
12-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Wow mel--fantastic poem!!!

FYI--for those not able to find tossaway clothes the right size...I bought my clothes last year all several sizes too big--made for easier removal and guaranteed that my regular racing outfit would fit underneath it. It's all about warmth and not "looking" hot ;)

keenercam
12-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for the well-wishes for Howard. I was feeling so down and delolate last night and it came through in my post. I'm sorry. I was so freaked out that the hospital needed a copy of his living will. What a scary thing, especially having lost Karen a month ago after routine surgery as she came out of general anesthesia.

Howard is doing so much better today. Had surgery this morning and came home tonight with anti-biotics, percocet and medication to stop the spasming. He is very determined to be on that plane Thursday morning and the doctor was optimistic that he'll be able to make the trip. Beyond that, it is up to him and his recovery over the next several days. This afternoon he told me he has resigned himself to not being able to do sub-10 minute miles and may have to settle for 13-14 pace. :earseek: That's my guy! Your prayers and :wizard: definitely got through for both of us.

As for me, for the sake of my sanity and on 3.5 hours of sleep I went to the Y this morning at about 5:30 and did 5 miles at about a 14:30 pace. I figured doing that before I went to the hospital would really put me in a positive frame of mind. Lisa, Thanks for the nutrition tips. I took a peanut butter sandwich with me and ate it before I got in the shower. I felt so much better all day!

Thanks so much, friends. This year has been hell since about March on, and this place has been our bright spot. God bless you all and bring you all good things in the new year, including love, friendship, health & happiness! Oh, and let's not forget Donald and Mickey and Goofy medals!

Love you all. Really can't wait to meet all of you. :Pinkbounc
:grouphug:

akasleepingbeauty
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Cam - you know that we are all here for you and Howard. Don't forget to clear out that PM box so we can all send a new round of messages :)

Chimera - thanks for the great poem - you are so talented!!

Time to go start that packing list!

plutosmyfav
01-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Mel, I love the poem! You inspired me to "rewrite" my own:

Whose race this is I think I know,
She lives in spirit, not body, though
She will not see me stopping here
To post a heart-felt “thank-you, all”

You see she is the competitive one
The crazy known as the “IC” by some
She has me run and run and run
And times has drained it all of fun

When the weather is foul, bitter and bleak
She taunts me to make one more mile each week
The only other sounds the pound
Of Scooter in headphones and feet on the ground

The race course is looming, long but not steep
And to myself I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And Miles to go before I sleep

Happy New Year to All

Sunny

TiffJ
01-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Great poems Sunny & Mel! WTG getting me teary eyed first thing in the morning.

Cam- I am so glad Howard it doing better! You have alot of prayers headed your way & I just know it will be all good from here out! So Howard is still planning on participating? Wow! He is a big :dog2: Hope you guys have a great week.

Today is my crazy: make sure you have packed everything, leave the house clean, make sure the babysitter has key & instructions (for dog), go to Wal Mart one last time(because you know they dont have any in Orlando) Wait, check weather.com again and since you are online anyway stop by DIS again, gas up the car, panic-what if I need that, put in the suitcase just in case (whatever that happens to be & probably something I havent used in 2 years :teeth: ) Check one last time to make sure I have all my running stuff. Pack small duffel bag for our 1 night at POP. Make sure I have DS meds. I am no light packer!

I am very neurotic when it comes to packing, especially for WDW. I also like leaving the house clean, much nicer to come home to.

We are leaving at what I call the "butt crack of dawn" This is much earlier than "dawn" hence the name. DH is not a morning person( he has been blessed with an entire family of morning people :rotfl: ) but he knows how excited I am & has said we can leave as early as I want. I am hoping to be out the door by 4:39-5:00. Hopefully everyone is off work tomorow, because that will put us in Atlanta at a.m. rush hour and that is no fun for anyone!

Thank you guys for getting me to this point. For making me believe I can do this (and now I know I can) and for being there during the whole thing. I could never have done this without you & I can't wait to meet everyone. Have a great week & I will see you Friday!

MickeySP
01-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Happy New year to all!!

Even though I have not been a huge poster this thread has kept me from totally losing all my confidence to complete my 1st 1/2. Thank guys!

Love the poems! Make me want to get out early even in the snow.

Cam - I am so glad to see DH is doing better. That is wonderful. I agree I can'twait to see 2005 go - terrible year for us here. I cannot wait to meet you in WDW.

I have been watching the weather all week, that is now my obsession. I think the race start will be fine but I am still worried once it warms up about the heat.

msblrobs
01-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Cam - Great news about Howard!! So glad to hear it looks like he's good to go on Thursday. I'll continue to pray for you guys.

Mel & Sunny - great poems ladies. I am sure this will be the first of many happy tears I'll shed this week. :grouphug:

TiifJ - Best of luck with getting out at the "butt crack of dawn." Have a safe trip to WDW.

Rest day for me today. The packing is actually coming together now so I feel a lot better. This morning when I woke up, the first thing I said to dh was "I should almost be to the Magic Kingdom at this time next week." I will be visualizing the race miles this morning.

Happy New Year to everyone. I can't wait to meet you all THIS week!! Everyone travel safe on your way to the race.

wtpclc
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Cam - SOunds like our prayers ar working. I'll keep them up for you two, though. Thansk for the good news!!! ETA: Your PM box is full. If you get a chance, delete some messages.

So where's the smilie with happy tears running down his face? Please insert that here.

Mel - Your poem captured everything I'm feeling.

Coleen - Pain is temporary, quitting is permanent. Wish someone told be that before the 18-miler that wasn't. I will definitely store that one in the brain for the marathon, although I am confident we will finish.

110 minutes of running before the marathon. Wow.

TXBelle
01-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Cam- I am so glad to hear that Howard is doing better! :grouphug: :wizard:

Happy New Year everyone! Love the poems Mel and Sunny! I've started packing. We leave on Friday. I can't wait to see everyone at Trails End. :flower:

MelRhoads
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Cam - :sunny: Sounds like good news! Maybe you and Howard will end up racing together!!

I did a 4 1/2 mile trail run with EC today. It was around 65 degrees and I was so HOT. I have forgotten about running in the heat. It really helped me to start figuring out my race clothing!

I will really start packing this week (probably Wed!!)

I CANNOT WAIT to meet everyone Friday!!!!! I have been trying to give phil some updates so he will know who to cheer for!

Debbie
01-01-2006, 05:51 PM
:wave2: Hi Guys and Gals! Last year, it was our turn....this year it is yours! That ½ Marathon is something that lives in our memory, and I know that it will in yours. Take it easy! Stay pumped! Stay ahead of the sweepers (you have no idea how close, DSis-Susan--Ontario- and I were...twice! :earseek: ) but most of all ENJOY! You are athletes, now....go for the gold!

chersheyb
01-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Thank you to all that have inspired me to complete the full marathon this week.! This is my first marathon, I am nervous. Nerves about not waking up on time missing the last resort bus to the start, not hydrated enough, not training enough, etc. However... you the DIS WISH FAMILY have continued to inspire and motivate me through very doubting times. I just want to finish ahead of the sweepers! I had to adjust and modify my training schedule-- work crazy husband, and two sick DS it all started 11/17 anyway I have run nearly everyday but not as far as I should of on some days.
I have a great support team here as well as at work.. I have to finish I need the Mickey Bling to show off...
Today my ipod died just the battery and I felt lost I really need the music..
Well I can't wait to see every one in thier shirts... I did not get one maybe next year!! As I see you all in lime green I will have a smile on my face, in my head and in my heart because YOU encouraged me to do this!!

Thank you for the support and best of luck to all (those with children addicted to Dora I keep telling my self "Sweepers No Sweeping"

chersheyb :grouphug: ::MickeyMo

NYcpa
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I haven't done the actual mileage for the last two LW's but have put in a number of steps during the week and an hour on the TM last Friday.

Erin & I leave for WDW Wed AM. We are driving down so Erin can stay until May. Am getting nervous about both driving down and leaving her there for 5 months.

Here are a couple of quotes I found which I thought were inspirational:

The distance is nothing. It's only the first step that is difficult. (Marie du Deffand)

You are the only person on earth who can use your ability.

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try. (Beverly Sills)

See everyone at Trail's End Friday.

Have a good training week.

goofyguy1958
01-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I haven't done the actual mileage for the last two LW's but have put in a number of steps during the week and an hour on the TM last Friday.

Erin & I leave for WDW Wed AM. We are driving down so Erin can stay until May. Am getting nervous about both driving down and leaving her there for 5 months.

Here are a couple of quotes I found which I thought were inspirational:

The distance is nothing. It's only the first step that is difficult. (Marie du Deffand)

You are the only person on earth who can use your ability.

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try. (Beverly Sills)

See everyone at Trail's End Friday.

Have a good training week.

Great attitude NYcpa! I would add my favorite and intend to think of it often during the full marathon:

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.....Lao-tzu

Tiger Lily 03
01-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Cam, that is great news you have there. DH was cringing in sympathy for Howard cuz been through his share of all that.

Oh the poems and the quotes are the best!

I've finished my 6-miles this weekend and now it is just fun runs for such short minutes and before I know it I will be crossing the lines! The Christmas decorations are all down, almost all the clothes are washed. Figuring out the packing thing will happen tomorrow for me.

Safe traveling everyone. I look forward to seeing everyone at Trails End. We will be giving that cheer so those left behind can hear us.

Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination
We create a GREAT! sensation.

kaf7878
01-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Hi Everyone!

Gosh, I can't believe this is it--our final week! DH and I did 9 miles on Saturday and it felt great! That was a big boost to the ego. I am so excited for the actual race!!!

Thank you all for your inspiration and support this year. I don't post as often as most of you but I'm always reading :) This has been a great experience!

Just a quick tip for packing--you may want to consider packing earplugs. I know last year when we did the half, we wanted to get to sleep early since we were getting up in the middle of the night to catch the bus and stuff. I don't think I would have been able to get to sleep without them. Those hotel walls aren't very soundproof so it may be helpful.

Also, set a couple of alarms! Last year we set the hotel clock, my cell phone and did a wake up call--ha!

Less than a week to go!!!

Kelly

lacool
01-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey guys! If you don't count Sunday, my longest run this week is 3 miles. I remember when I started and 3 miles felt so far!

I had a stonker of an 18 miler two weeks ago (only finished 15) and it messed with my confidence. But I know the reason that it was so bad, and my advice is to eat the night before the race. Don't overeat, of course, but focus on those carbs! It turns out two cookies and a glass of wine for dinner (it was a Christmas party that did not have the food I thought it would) does not provide the body with enough energy to run for 3 1/2 hours. Who knew? :confused3

But now the big week is here, and I want to thank you all for inspiring me, comforting me, and helping me believe this is possible! :grouphug:

Leigh Ann

plutosmyfav
01-02-2006, 09:38 AM
It turns out two cookies and a glass of wine for dinner (it was a Christmas party that did not have the food I thought it would) does not provide the body with enough energy to run for 3 1/2 hours. Who knew? :confused3

:rotfl2: Isn't it amazing the useful information we have acquired along this journey??? I'll make a note not to eat cookies and wine for my pre-race dinner :rotfl: Actually, alcohol is a bad idea for the dehydration effect. Be careful everyone!

Love the quotes, Kathy! Thanks!

I'm going to do a short run today. I feel like a slug. I've hardly moved for two days and instead of being full of pent up energy I feel like I've never ran before. I have to keep reminding myself that I am prepared for this race. I get waves of panic, thinking I didn't really train :confused3 I guess these are the mind games tapering plays on one's psyche.

Sunny

MelRhoads
01-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Sunny - I can totally relate!!! I felt that way last week. I didn't run for an entire week. I kayaked and climbed, but no running. This week I'm feeling ready to go (but I'm having some waves of panic about my ability as well!) I'm having some packing panic waves too! I realized I have no shorts!!!!! I generally wear comfortable dresses in the summer. I guess I'll just pack those. They are very casual and I like them. I also realized that I don't know if I have all of the stuff I need for checking in and so on... I called the travel agent, but they are not there today. I didn't get a conf. # for my resort and I don't have any papers for the park passes and the meal plan. I have no idea how to get them! I may call disney travel today and ask!

I think i figured out my throw off pants, which is one thing done, but i'm still struggling with race clothing. I hate being cold!!! I'm sure I'll be fine once we get running.! I think I'm going to have a list of questions ready for the trails end!!!!!

Cam - How is Howard today? What is your current status?????

keenercam
01-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Cam - How is Howard today? What is your current status?????

Thanks for asking, Melissa. :goodvibes I am at work but just spoke with him. He slept through the night which is awesome (with the help of percocet) and said he is well enough to drive about 45 minutes this afternoon to pick up his brother at the bus station. All systems are go for us leaving for Orlando Thursday a.m., but I think Howard is realizing he just might not be up to showing up at the start line as a participant. I know that last night he hoped to get to the Y today and see if he could do something on the treadmill, but he didn't mention that when I just spoke with him. I am glad he isn't pushing it. I think he is just so grateful to be home and at something other than level 12 pain.

I really want him to enjoy our time away together sans kids, and I think if he tries to even walk the 1/2 he will probably wipe himself out. Looking for a bright spot here for him -- maybe he can drink a glass of champagne for me on Friday to celebrate the one year anniversary of my heart surgery and cure. :drinking1 Heck, the thought of champagne would certainly be a bright spot for me! ;)

Thanks again, everyone, for being there for me this weekend when I was hysterical. You're probably used to that by now with me! :rolleyes: Absolutely cannot wait to meet everyone and share hugs on Friday! :grouphug:

Tiger Lily 03
01-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Cam,
Be sure to raise one after for sure; we went to France so I might.
Today, I raise it to you for your accomplishments!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p54c069f2b99d8ee4b2a84ccdea2e7475/f572f744.jpg

keenercam
01-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Lily -- What a great picture! Thank you sweetie! :cloud9:

zoegirl
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I have to keep reminding myself that I am prepared for this race. I get waves of panic, thinking I didn't really train :confused3 I guess these are the mind games tapering plays on one's psyche. Sunny

Happy New Year everybody!!

It has been a crazy last few days. I'm a little behind reading posts but I'm gathering that Howard had to go to the hospital?? OMG!! That's horrible!!!
I'll be praying for you guys Cam. I really hope you still get to come to the race.

Sunny - I totally know what you're talking about with the waves of panic. And I've run the race twice before! Actually I am really nervous all of the sudden about doing the goofy. I have also had nightmares about oversleeping, even though I know DFIL will beat on my door if I'm not where I'm supposed to be at said time, not to mention Christa would call my cell but I'm STILL in total freak out mode! My poor DH is ready to move out, I have been so ill.
I know I have trained, my 12 & 24 mile training runs went very well, I've done all I'm supposed to be doing but I am still so nervous.
Anybody else keep walking past your suitcase scared to attempt to start packing? What if I forget something, what if I pack too warm, too cold, or I forget one of my race day outfits??? AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

BUT - I can not wait to meet all of you Friday. And I have been so thankful to look on these boards the last few months and see that you guys have been going through all I've been going through. It has been a constant encouragement.

well must go walk past that suitcase again.

TTFN,
~bree~

Lisa loves Pooh
01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Just about packed up to head back to Florida bright and early tomorrow a.m. Took the lazy approach and didn't run today. :(

But my race bag is packed and traveling with me carryon. With a few of the girls Christmas presents as well LOL!

skfulkers
01-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey guys! How's everyone doing? Can you believe it's only 100 hours till Trail's End? Nothing like a little reality check to work up those pre-race jitters, huh? :)

Cam--glad to hear Howard's doing better. Hopefully, you guys will be able to have a great weekend in Disney, regardless if he makes it to the start line or not. We'll be praying that you guys will have a good time.

Don't really have too much to report. Just wanted to check in this week since I haven't posted in awhile. Krista and I are doing well with tapering, although we both agree that we're starting to doubt our "readiness" for the races since the long LRs were over 2 weeks ago. Gotta love the mental anguish we all put ourselves through, right?

Ok, here's a question. Does anyone else feel the need to use all kinds of sunscreen down in the HOT Florida sun? I bring this up because I have not trained with sunscreen at all, and it occurred to me last week that I will most likely use some on race day. I'm thinking this could be a problem at mile 22 when the stuff is dripping into my eyes. Does anyone recommend a particular brand? How do I keep this stuff from becoming annoying? I'm guessing I should have thought about this say, oh, 2 months ago, but we don't get quite as much direct sunlight up here in Ohio, so it hasn't been an issue.

Have a great week, everyone. See you all on Friday!

Steve

Honeibee
01-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I can't stay away from these boards for three days! I miss too much!

Cam - OMG! I read all your posts! Poor Howard! :grouphug: I'm glad to read he is feeling better, but listen...if you want me to come down there this weekend and keep him company. We could meet you at the finish line. You know, just in case he needs something. I'd do it, cause that's the kind of girl I am. :teeth: He must be sooo disappointed but really I suppose it's best if he doesn't do it. Only he can make that call I guess.

Oh you poor thing. I feel badly for you too. Even though you don't have Level 12 pain, geez, I know this time next year I'll have Level 12 nervousness! I am sending lots and lots of P & PD for both of you. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Wow, this is the last post before you guys leave...... :cheer2:

Lisa loves Pooh
01-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Half marathon will conclude by 9:30am--so I don't think sunscreen will be necessary as it is winter and it is early morning sun. Unless you have issues with past cancer screenings or past cancer diagnosis--I think it will be fine to not use it at all.

Full marathon concludes by 1pm (with non-swept participants finishing NLT 2pm)....so those participants might consider using sunscreen.

I have the most problem with sports creams--but I say use anything you can get in one of those small disposable pouches---and perhaps wear sunglasses and avoide the eye area completely with the sunscreen.

The creams that work best for me are the baby creams with 50spf--I have never seemed to have them go into my eyes as much as the sports stuff does.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Oversleepers---set your alarms AND get a wake up call. I was sooo concerned about not waking up--and the double wake up alarm worked really well. Then again--I was up until midnight violently ill--so not really sure if I ever went to sleep anyway.

keenercam
01-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Honeibee -- I'd feel soo much better if you came down and provided moral support. Pretty please? <---- This is Cam giving Judy an excuse to take off to Orlando for the weekend! Come on, I'm sure there's plenty of room at TE, and you wouldn't have to be by yourself. Oh, and in case you've missed my SIX posts about it, we still have a second bedroom up for grabs if someone needs a place to stay Friday and Saturday nights! :Pinkbounc

Lisa -- I am so glad this is going to be an entirely different experience for you. Sending prayers & :wizard: that everyone stays healthy! (Glad that I didn't end up with anything worse than a scratchy throat from hanging around an hospital for 2 days with all those SICK people! EUWWWW!

For anyone heading out soon -- travel well. See you all at TE in about 98.5 hours! :cheer2: For anyone dining elsewhere, see you at the start or along the full course -- we'll be screaming for you near BW or BCV!!!

MelRhoads
01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Stephen - I usually just get normal sunscreen for my arms, legs... I wear a visor or hat to sheild my face and that way I don't have to use the sunscreen on my forehead or around my eyes. I can still put it on cheeks, nose and chin. Hope that helps.

aladdinsgirl
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone, can you believe we almost made it? I can hardly believe the journey is almost over. I am so proud of all of us, we have worked really hard for this, through sickness, injuries, bad weather, and in my case bad attitudes at times, but we made it. I can't wait to get my Donald medal and to see the Mickey and Goofy medals. I better pack a box of tissues, I know I will be a mess!! I'm excited to meet you all, you have no idea what a huge help and inspiration you have been to me over the past 7 months, I couldn't ask for a better group of friends!

I officially have 2 more runs this week, 40 minutes today and 30 minutes on Wednesday. I ended my lr's on a positive note, I did 6 miles on Saturday and I had a PR. It took me 1 hour and 9 minutes, before that my best 6 miles (not counting the 10K I did in 1 hr and 7 min because race times are always faster) was like 1 hour and 13 minutes. I was especially excited because I ran at a park in Pittsburgh (Stephen's grandparents live there and we were there for Christmas) that was pretty hilly, especially to this flat Ohioian. I'm really glad that I had a great run, it helped my confidence, but I'm still pretty nervous, I'm just trying to block this weekend out until I have to deal with it. :teeth:

Cam--I'm so sorry to hear about Howard and glad to hear that he is doing better. You are both in my prayers.

Lily--Beautiful picture! That duck sure looks good on you! :goodvibes I rarely drink, but I may just have to kick back something to celebrate on Saturday.

I better go, I'm on my way to the grocery store. I've been off work since Dec. 23 and I'm really dreading going back tomorrow--I can certainly get used to this staying home thing!!

Can't wait to meet you all in just 4 hours and 2 1/2 hours--WOW!!!

Krista princess:

Oh, Mel--thanks for making me cry with your poem!! :)

MickeySP
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I am soooo excited, I can't actually believe I am doing this.

Cam - I am sure he is disappointed

This board has bee such an inspiration and a blessing. It has kept me focUsed and kept my anxiety down to a dull roar.

I would think sunscreen shouldn' t be a problem. I do avoid the ones with lots of fragrance, they tend to make me break out when I sweat(pardon me, perspire).

I have about 3 alarms ready to go including the one on my cell phone. I may sleep through an alarm but never a phone call!!

Can't wait to meet everyone.

We are out Wed morning but bringing my laptop not missing a thing.

princessmomma
01-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Cam, glad Howard is at home resting! I am sure everything is going to go well this weekend. He will know what his body can do.

I had an effortless 6 mile LR on Saturday and then this mornings 3 mile was drudgery. There was no way I could have ran 8 or 10 this morning. I did run nice and slow this morning, DH would have been proud. This is the first time I am starting to doubt my training. I ran my last long run 3 1/2 weeks out (December 14th) and I am starting to wonder if it has been too long. Well, too late now, whatever will be will be.

O.k. body now it is your turn to rest, recover, rest and heal.

BTW, what are your plans in Orlando 2 days before you race? I really want to go to MGM on Friday with DH and the kids on ride tower of terror and rock n' roller coaster. DH is advising against it, so would like to hear everyone else's plans besides the Expo and Trails End.

Colleen

plutosmyfav
01-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Stephen, I agree with Melissa. I am wearing a visor. I put sunscreen on my face BELOW my eyes (ie, cheeks, nose) but wouldn't dare put it above. I've suffered that fate before! Even "Sports" "sweat-proof" sunscreen ends up in the eyes and KILLS. But I'm concerned about applying sunscreen at 4AM and then not really needing it for ~4 hours. I can't imagine carrying some with me and taking time to apply it during race. Any advice??????

I'm just back from the Y. I did 4.25 on the TM, it was wonderful. Easy as pie! I even ramped upto 7.0 mph for the last mile and it was child's play :teeth: I feel better now. I did upper body weights, too but only about half of my normal routine.

I'm stressing about the weather. What will work clothing wise. I'm trying to imagine what it will feel like standing around in the dark at ~40degF :confused3 I'm pretty tough when it comes to the cold, but Lisa's advice made me think; I don't want to waste energy shivering for an hour or more. I'm thinking along with my throw away pants and sweatshirt I might bring a throw-away blanket. How in the world will I fit that into the suitcase :crazy: By the time I'm done I will have enough race outfits for 16 races and enough casual clothes to last us, um, maybe 18 hours :rotfl2:

Sunny

plutosmyfav
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Colleen-- I haven't decided which park we will be at the 2 days prior, but we will definitely be park hopping. I'm not worrying about it as Dx and DS can't tolerate "park commando" style so it shouldn't be too taxing as far as taper goes. I'd say just be careful to not be on your feet constantly and turn in fairly early both nights. NO PI dancing to the wee hours :rotfl2:

I hope others will post their more intelligent plans!!!!!

Sunny

wtpclc
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Lily - Awesome pic! can't wait to toastmyself!

Stephen - Been worried about sun block myself. I'm rather pale and I think it won't hurt. We did not use it much this summer while running as it was early morning or evening. I really haven't seen th esunin months, though, so, I'll want to apply some so I can enjoy teh rest of my vacation.

I am soooooo excited. I cannot believe it. 80 minuets of training 'til marathon.

Leigh ann - We did 15.5 on our 18-miler with similar tactical errors plus weather issues. We rocked on teh 20, though. I think the valuable lessons learned were needed so we do not screw up on race day.

Safe travels to all traveling soon. We fly out Friday evening. WOrried the weeather will mess with our flight, but that's just one of the list. ;) I hope to see you all after the finish of teh half Saturday!!!

plutosmyfav
01-02-2006, 02:37 PM
WOrried the weeather will mess with our flight, but that's just one of the list. ;) !

Me, too! I've been watching our local extended as well as Orlando's. NO SNOW PLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!

Lily-- Wonderful pic! Oh I can't wait to feel that moment of pure satisfaction!!!!!

I second, third, fourth eveyone else's "can't wait to meet everyone"!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

keenercam
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I've been going back and forth about what our plan should be for 2 days before the 1/2. But tentatively it is:
Thursday:
arrive Orlando 9:15 am
drive to grocery store for bottled water
to DTD to replace my lost annual pass & have a child sized ghirardelli sundae :teeth:
check into BCV and unpack
be at expo by 3
dinner at OHana at 6:20
DTD for short visit to Adventurers Club
early to bed

Friday
no alarm
drive to MK
breakfast at main street bakery (bagel & fruit)
do some of our favorites there
leave in time to see John Bingham at the expo at 1 or 1:30
drive to Fort Wilderness
explore Fort Wilderness
Trails End at 4 to meet extraordinary WISHers!
Possible short stop at MGM for Osborn lights and Narnia walk-through
Early to Bed

How does that sound? Low-key enough?

msblrobs
01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Stephen - I will not wear sunscreen for the half but I will for the full on my arm, legs, & the lower half of my face & neck. I also wear a hat when I run to avoid having to chance sunscreen in my eyes.

I had my first marathon dream in which I was late for the half and realized now I couldn't get my Goofy medal. I plan on having two, if not three, alarms set for both mornings.

Cam - I plan on being at the expo on Friday around 1:00 for the Goofy review seminar, so I'll look for you.

Lily - Great picture!!

Sunny - My throwaway clothes are taking up most of my luggage space also. If it gets out of control, I will be running out to goodwill in Orlando on Friday to pick up some throwaway clothes.

Easy 3 mile run this morning.

Safe travels for all of you heading out to Orlando. I can't wait to meet you all at Trails End on Friday.

TammyNC
01-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I have not been on the boards posting like I have wanted to here in the past few months. I ended up not following the end of the training which has me a bit nervous but I know that I am in better shape that I was last year at this time. I can't wait to meet/see everyone at TE's on Friday.

I am more nervous this year but I think it is only because I know what to expect. I have made good changes from last year (shoes that fit properly, better socks, etc.) so hoping that my feet will fare better than last time:)

I still don't have my throw away clothes picked out-trying to figure out the best plan. I didn't wear any last year and got a bit chilly-wondering if just an old sweatshirt would be enough to keep my upper body warm. I do have throw away gloves. Just a note, I didn't wear sunscreen last year for the 1/2 and didn't have any problems. I did wear a hat and sun glasses though.

The kids and I arrive in Orlando on Wed around lunch time. We are checking in at BC then heading over to MK for a while. We will be at Epcot for a while on Thusday then over to the WWoS then maybe back to Epcot for a while. Jimmy flys in Friday morning and I think we will be at MK then head to WL for a DIS meet before TE @ 4pm. I will head back to BC after dinner while Jimmy and the kids go have fun. I will be asleep when they come in for the evening. That is the plan right now.

Even though I haven't posted much I have been reading and Cam I am glad to hear that Howard is doing much better.

Quick question, is there anyone that would like to meet up at the bus stop at BC for the ride over to the starting post?

Everyone be safe in your travels.

solotraveler
01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone!

It's so hard to believe that just 6 days from right now, it'll be over and we'll all have our medals. Wow! :teeth:

I am loving this taper thing!! :cool1: Tomorrow will be my last training run here in Michigan (where it is *thunderstorming* as we speak), as I leave for Orlando on Wednesday morning. I really need to start packing :)

Carrie- Glad I am not the only one stressing about getting out on time. I have an hour layover in Detroit Wednesday and if I miss that connection, I'll have to wait in DTW for 6 hours for the next flight. :guilty: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!!

I am looking forward to seeing as many of you as I can at TE on Friday! While I can't have dinner with you all I do want to say hello! Hopefully I will run in to some more of you out on the race course! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

OK, off to start packing!
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Lisa loves Pooh
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Cam--FYI--Adventureres club is in PI and admission charges apply.

MelRhoads
01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm so proud of myself!!!! I just figured out a tentative schedule for our family for the upcoming week and made dining reservations!! It may be a total disaster, but at least we have an idea of which parks we will be in on which days and where we will be eating :cool1:

Now if I could just get my race clothes decisions made!

TEK224
01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
It's almost here! :cool1:

I get more nervous as each day passes. I'm 1/2 way packed. I usually try to pack light when i travel. Now I'm taking 2 suitcases (one bag check w/ reg. clothes and a smaller carry-on with race gear).

Now I'm fighting off a cold. Woke up this morning with sniffles and not the kind of "runs" I want during race week (I'm sure you're all happy to know that :teeth: )

I remember a line from a Steven Seagal movie that said "Anticipation of Death is worse than death itself". I think of that whenever I get nervous about something important (a work project, medical procedure, the Goofy, etc.). At least when the race starts, I'll be focused on moving forward, seeing the sights along the way and listening to my music. But thinking about all the details before hand and what could possibly go wrong is driving me nuts. I guess because I've never done anything this distance before and haven't put in the super high mileage, due to a nagging injury, like many of you had.

Cam- Glad to hear Howard is feeling better. :)

Lily - Nice picture!

I plan on arriving late Wed. morning, making a grocery stop and checking into SSR. Will prob. go to MK and/or Epcot. Thursday I'll play it by ear as I have no set schedule (except to go to Expo). Fri. will drive to airport to pick up my niece and then head to Expo. Want to hear the Goofy info, also. TE for dinner and early to bed.

Tomorrow will be a little hectic, so I may not be able to check the Dis. If I don't, just want to wish everyone a great race(s), can't wait to see you at TE. I'll be leaving early Wed. morning.

Terri

littlegreydonkey
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I know there's an official weather thread but it won't let me post and time is tight - this mornings orlando news had 35 degree start sat, 40 degree start sun and about a 60 degree finish for sun - didn't catch rise on Sat, too busy panicking about what to wear at start - I HATE the cold, been training in90 degree heat remember, still I didn't notice rain, I'll take cold over rain.

Have nice bright name tags all ready for TE - see you there. H

Lisa loves Pooh
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah Helen!! Thanks for the nametags! Do you need pens--I can bring pens :).

Lisa

plutosmyfav
01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Ugh "Server too busy, try again later" is not a good thing when you've got a bunch of running-deprived, taper-crazed WISHERs needing to connect!!!!!!

um, I guess that's all I have to say :blush:

keenercam
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Cam--FYI--Adventureres club is in PI and admission charges apply.

Thanks, Lisa. We have premium annual passes so there is no admission fee. Definitely a perk we didn't know about when we bought our discounted tickets through DVC. That really helps justify the cost. :cool1:

Hope everyone is enjoying their evening. DBIL made it here safely and I went shopping tonight for something cute to wear to PI, so now it seems very real. I started the kids' schedules and did our itinerary for DBIL today. Have to do medical authorizations for the kids and our puppy-mutt :dog: and then we should be in pretty good shape. Have a big hearing on Weds a.m. and will then be able to relax into the getting ready process.

Am going to re-work my shuffle playlist now. Have to check out some of the music listed over on that thread. I LOVE itunes! :banana:

chimera
01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I hate to be such a wimp, but can I just say the weather forecast has me pretty freaked out? :scared1: Temps below 40 only happen about 2 or 3 days of the year over here, so it's not generally weather I like to even be outside in, let alone spending 5 or so hours trying to run and breathe in. My 8 miler in 45 degree weather was my worst LR of all.

I have the headband thingie to cover my ears, Millionaire hat to keep heat in, gloves, 2 LS shirst, my WISH shirt, sweat pants and 3 sweatshirts for the start of the race. I was planning to peel off one sweatshirt and sweatpants before the actual start, but now, maybe not.

Is there anything I could use to cover my face? Someone suggested that would help warm the air, so I don't have so many breathing problems in the cold.

Cam...glad to hear Howard is feeling better!

princessmomma
01-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Ugh "Server too busy, try again later" is not a good thing when you've got a bunch of running-deprived, taper-crazed WISHERs needing to connect!!!!!!

um, I guess that's all I have to say :blush:

:rotfl: That is all I have to say!

Tiger Lily 03
01-02-2006, 11:40 PM
... Actually I am really nervous all of the sudden about doing the goofy. I have also had nightmares about oversleeping...
I know I have trained...I've done all I'm supposed to be doing but I am still so nervous.
Anybody else keep walking past your suitcase scared to attempt to start packing? What if I forget something, what if I pack too warm, too cold, or I forget one of my race day outfits??? AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

BUT - I can not wait to meet all of you Friday. And I have been so thankful to look on these boards the last few months and see that you guys have been going through all I've been going through. It has been a constant encouragement.

well must go walk past that suitcase again.~bree~Oh I am sooo understanding this! I've washed it all and not a thing set to put in the suitcase. Must be done when I get back from work tomorrow!

I did manage my ipod...it has new tunes on it. :teeth:

TXBelle
01-03-2006, 08:52 AM
I hate to be such a wimp, but can I just say the weather forecast has me pretty freaked out? :scared1: Temps below 40 only happen about 2 or 3 days of the year over here, so it's not generally weather I like to even be outside in, let alone spending 5 or so hours trying to run and breathe in.

Mel- You are such a wimp! ;) Here in Texas, we also have been blessed with warm temperatures this year. I am also concerned about what to wear for race day. I will bring my headband that goes over my ears. I think I will bring gloves too. I will probably wear my long Nike tights, but I am also going to bring capri tights and shorts just in case I change my mind. I will wear my long sleeve WISH t-shirt. I am thinking of wearing a light weight running jacket that has pockets. I will use the pockets to store my Snickers marathon bars, my lip gloss, and kleenex (not into the farmer blow). Then, if it gets too hot, I can simply tie my jacket around my waist for the remainder of the race (or hand it off to my DH in the MK). I'm thinking about bringing a throw away blanket but as others have noted, that will sure fill up the suitcase. What about a beach towel? It is big enough to wrap around you but thick enough to provide some warmth?

We arrive on Friday around 11 am. We are heading to the Expo then checking in at the Swan. We might try to squeeze in a little time at MGM before Trails End. Then it's off to Trails End to meet my WISH friends (and see old friends like Lily and Tammy). Lots of hugs, tears, and photos! :grouphug: Then it's back to the Swan. I think I will get dressed for the race on Friday night (if it is cold enough) and take a few easy laps around the Swan to see if my planned outfit is too hot.

I really want to see John Bingham at the Expo so I might rearrange my schedule to do that. He has been such an inspiration to me. I really want to meet him and get my picture taken with him.

Actually got off my buns and did 3 miles this weekend. It felt good. No hip pain! :love:

Final chapter of the running shoe saga: As you will recall, when we last left, Heather's DH had sold her beautiful brand new purple ASICS at the neighborhood garage sale for $1 after she had worn them only two times. Heather tried to move on and overcome the loss by buying a new pair of Mizuno running shoes, which she will wear for the 1/2 marathon. But alas, the loss of the ASICS still lingered and with training for the DL 1/2 marathon and the 2007 WDW marathon on the horizon, she simply could not let go of the memory of those purple ASICS. Hence, after a little internet shopping and coupon code searching, she was able to order a new pair of purple ASICS for $70. Thus, in a week or less, Heather will be wearing her ASICS (which essentially cost her $90 + $70 - $1). She's thinking "These better be some #$@* good shoes!" The end.

Can you tell that the taper and the anticipation of the race is making me loopy? :rotfl:

keenercam
01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Good morning, everyone! Well, it was 43 degrees, windy and rainy when I was walking to my office this morning, and all I could think was, "okay, it's chilly, but it won't be raining and I bet it won't be windy at the start" But I am definitely with those who are coming up with a warm clothes at the start to peel away plan! :teeth: I am going to ask DH to run by goodwill today and look for an old blanket to take to the start. The one I was going to sacrifice is too small for us to wrap ourselves up in.

Mel -- Thank you for reminding me to bring something for my head and ears. I hadn't even thought of that. DUH! As far as covering your face, I would suggest a scarf. I am going to buy one that I can dispose of, though I wonder how much use the homeless shelters in Orlando have for scarves! ;)

keenercam
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Heather -- I am SOOO glad you were able to replace your shoes! I was :rotfl: at the continued saga. But it really makes all the difference in the world to know that is one less thing to worry about.

Okay, here is my sad story (yeah, I know, I am always whining! ;) ) Howard being the sweetheart that he is (and even with all he is going through) tried to help the other day by moving my laundry from the washer to the dryer. Not only did my new running pants with the lime stripe, and my WISH dri-fit shirt go through a 50 minute dryer cycle, but he also used a fabric softener sheet (supposedly a big no-no for dri-fit clothes). Now the shirt and the pants are too, shall we just say "clingy" to wear as an outfit on race day. UGH! :sad: I will have to resort to my old, worn-out very comfy, been with me through all my outdoor training since September asics pants. I think the WISH shirt is okay. I do want to find some black puffy paint to write my name on it for race day. :banana:

Can you tell I miss you guys and can't wait to see you all? I could spend every minute "talking" with all of you on this thread!

Lily -- glad you did your itunes. I even edited some of my song files to get rid of slow parts at the beginning and end, and cut the fade time to 0 so the songs run right up against each other!

wtpclc
01-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Cam - I hate it when that happens! FYI - Just re-wash teh WISH shirt and it should be fine. That's what most of my wicking clothes say.

MickeySP
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I am did the iPod thing last night, I think that was moer stressful than anything. Gotta get those songs in the right order to kep my moving on pace.

I think for us in the Northeast the weather is great!! I was so freaked out by having to go from walking/running in 20's & 30's to the 70's & 80's. I have laid out to different outfits just in case.

Question - If I put my name in something I end up discarding, (shirt) what are my odds of getting it back, eventually?

msblrobs
01-03-2006, 10:39 AM
My dear DH was kind enough to put 6 1/2 hours of requested songs on the iPod for me this weekend. Being a DJ in his spare time, it wasn't too hard for him, but definitely time-consuming and GREATLY appreciated!

I am also loving the weather forecast being a cold-blooded Northeasterner. I guess I'll be packing a little of everything and adjusting as needed.

I'll probably be quiet on the boards for the remainder as I have to actually work some before I leave on Friday :rotfl: I will be taking my laptop with me when I leave for Orlando, so I will be checking in.

Cam - sorry about the wardrobe incident.

Terri - Love the quote, I so agree!!!

MelR - Congrats on the tentative schedule getting worked out:banana:

Safe travels to everyone this week and enjoy the remaining taper. :cheer2:

keenercam
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Cam - I hate it when that happens! FYI - Just re-wash teh WISH shirt and it should be fine. That's what most of my wicking clothes say.

That's good to know. Thanks, Carrie!

Sara -- It is so awesome that your DH did that major project for you. :love2:

Honeibee
01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
We are having a lovely wet slushy Nor'Easter up here. Ugh.

Cam - I see you are on to me! My little plan is working. Anything excuse to go to WDW! :teeth: And gee, my husband will be away skiing this weekend......hmmmmm.... :rolleyes1 I hope Howard is doing better today. He IS sweet to try to help you with the laundry. :cloud9:

Chimera - I'm sorry I didn't reply to your post to me on last week's thread, but all I can say is... :earseek: NO WAY you were where I am a year ago. Reading your posts I thought you had been doing this like all your life! I AM SO IMPRESSED! :banana: You're amazing. Thanks for your kind words though. I needed them today.

I think I had my first "stonker" this weekend. Is that the word? I changed my schedule from every other day to Wed & Sat off. Naturally, I blew off the first day since I had a wicked cold and felt almost flu-ish. Then Friday I was feeling much much better so I hopped on the TM for my usual 40 @3.6 w/10@1%. But for some crazy reason I thought "Heck, I'm feeling fine, let me throw in 20 minutes at 4.0!".

Ugh. What a mistake.

Saturday I could hardly move. Sunday I was cranky but did just a flat 40 @ 3.6. Monday the same. Today I added back on the 10 @ 1%. But I think I'd better just lay low at 3.6 w/the 10@1% for a while. Maybe this is my "training to train" period. I think I really over did it and it took the fun right out of it.

I sometimes get caught up in the excitement and forget I have a YEAR to get ready. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, DH and I started WW again on the 1st and already I have lost three pounds. :teeth:

:rotfl: We hung up our new 2006 calendar on the 'fridge and marked it with everyone's birthdays and what not. I marked the 24th of December as "Begin Taper". Yup, I'm planning ahead. ;)

keenercam
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Honeibee -- It's never too late! Southwest runs some awesome last minute air specials! You have my cell phone number. Just call me and let me know if you decide to come down. :teeth:

I am really sorry you overdid it on the TM, but very, very impressed by your dedication and enthusiasm. I did much the same thing in late January -- I read Marathoning for Mortals and created a training calendar that started 14 weeks before the 1/2 -- I think it was 10/4, or something like that. You are way ahead of the game by already being into a routine! :banana:

wtpclc
01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Honibee - Be careful. Don't do too much too soon and injure yourself! You have plenty of time. Just start "training to train" for now. You will do it, just don't overdo it!

plutosmyfav
01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Heather-- :rotfl2: Shoe Stress Saga! I'm glad you finally have your purple asics. I'm wearing my purple asics, too. I switched from the Cumulus to the Kyano (stability) and they are even more purple :earseek: and more expensive!

Well I did my final WI at the gym for the Holiday challenge and got my $10 back. I did a leisurely 3.5 miles on the TM. Then it was time to eat! People bring in holiday leftovers and leave them in the mail room. I helped myself to an authentic New Orleans praline, lindt chocolates and a strawberry cake from Whole Foods (all natural, totally yummy, NOT low cal). I'm not sure that is how the gym challenge and tapering is really supposed to work :confused3 But I'm pretty sure Hal Higdon doesn't warn against pralines in his training manaul :rotfl2:

Cam-- I'm so sorry to hear of the laundry fiasco. I know that one all to well. Dx has finally learned to NEVER help out with the laundry! If its not my coolmax, its DDs jeans and delicate sweaters. I'm glad the WISH shirt will still work for you.

Honibee-- I learned the hard way last year about jumping on the TM too soon after a fever/flu thing. My knee snapped and I couldn't run for weeks. Make sure to let your body completely heal from a serious illness before doing the TM! :wizard: Hope you are feeling better now.

Less than 48 hours until we head to the air port :cheer2: :earseek: :cloud9: :crazy: :scared1: ::yes:: :crazy2: :cool2: (Heather, I'm loopy, too!)

Sunny

Honeibee
01-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Cam - You temptress you! :teeth: Oh man, you have no idea how much I'd love to just jump on a plane and meet you guys down there. I'd think of it as research, yeah...thats' the ticket....research. For my 2007 Half. I'd just be going to check things out, see how its done.... Oh I have to stop this or I will talk myself right into it! :earboy2:

Carrie - You're right. I have to slow it down a bit. I'll end up hurting myself then I'll stop. Thank you. :wave2:

Sunny - Thank you, but I am feeling much better! One box of Kleenex and a bag of Ricola cough drops later and I'm a new woman. :goodvibes

Speaking of hurting myself....I was emptying the wheelbarrow in the manure dumpster yesterday and I slipped and fell down the ramp and whacked my backside on the edge of the dumpster. I'm afraid to look but I think my butt-bone is all black and blue. Ouch! :rolleyes:

wtpclc
01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh honibe! You sound like me. :rotfl: (Hoping the gash on my forehead frm teh cupboard door does not show in pics from marathon.)

OK, how are we supposed to work this week! I have 4 days to do 2 weeks of work and no concentration skills!

Honeibee
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Oh honibe! You sound like me. :rotfl: (Hoping the gash on my forehead frm teh cupboard door does not show in pics from marathon.)

OK, how are we supposed to work this week! I have 4 days to do 2 weeks of work and no concentration skills!

Oh you poor thing! Ouch! :flower:

I don't know how you guys are concentrating on anything! I'm not even going and I'm on this board more than off.

But then again, what else is new? :teeth:

keenercam
01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I am so not concentrating today. Thank God no one is depending on me for anything too critical until 5.
Think I'll go occupy myself AWAY from the computer. :sad:

plutosmyfav
01-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Concentra.... what?????

Are we there yet? Huh?? Huh?? Are we there yet?????

I am way to giddy and jumpy to be of any use to anyone :rotfl2:

No more gashes, slashes or otherwise photo marring events from this point on!!!!!

wtpclc
01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
lol Sunny! I don't care about marrign photos that much. I'm not exactlly a super model to begin with. I just don't want to get injured! No one else can either!

I did manage a 30 minute conversation with my boss. DOn't know how. I've got 3 more work days to get through! WHat was I thinking???!!!!

keenercam
01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I have a teleconference with a judge at 5 and a hearing tomorrow at 10 and all I can think about is my packing list and how the heck to get my Garmin display to go back to showing the pace in minutes at the bottom left corner. For some reason, it switched to showing miles per hour there instead of minutes and seconds. :confused3 I'll try to figure it out tonight. I haven't had to use it in a while because I was doing a lot of LWs on the TM (or should I say "DM"). Now I am in a panic that I might not be able to figure it out! If I can't, I may bring it to TE to have one of our Garmin experts fix it for me. :banana:

plutosmyfav
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh Cam you just panicked me again!!!!! My watch has a quirky way of changing ot military time or chaning its alarm an such. I never dreamed my Garmin might play tricks on me, too! I'll make sure to check all the screens prior to race time. Thanks!

Ya, there are people around me talking all sorts of technical stuff. I don't have a clue or a care... Oh its going to be so hard to settle back into the grind come Jan 13th :(

Here's something I had no trouble concentrating on, a taper article:

http://www.nyrrc.org/nyrrc/mar01/training/taper.html

keenercam
01-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Ya, there are people around me talking all sorts of technical stuff. I don't have a clue or a care... Oh its going to be so hard to settle back into the grind come Jan 13th :(

Oh, you mean technical stuff unrelated to the marathon? Who cares? ;) Ignore them. Pretend they are speaking a foreign language and just go :confused3

Now, unless that taper article says it is okay to be eating everything in sight out of stress :earseek: , it will probably only make me feel bad. UGH!

plutosmyfav
01-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Now, unless that taper article says it is okay to be eating everything in sight out of stress :earseek: , it will probably only make me feel bad. UGH!

Actually, it says that feeling all sorts of aches and pains is normal, and feeling sluggish is normal for some. That made me feel GOOD. I've been in slug mode at times and I have definitely been hypersensitive to every little ache and pain these last two weeks!

Last night I managed to work in "I'm running a marathon next Sunday" in a dialog with my pharmacist. I don't think it will be long before I am tapping strangers on the shoulder and saying "excuse me, but I just thought you should know, I'm running a marathon on Sunday" :rotfl:

Oh I really must get something done today :rolleyes:

keenercam
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually, it says that feeling all sorts of aches and pains is normal, and feeling sluggish is normal for some. That made me feel GOOD. I've been in slug mode at times and I have definitely been hypersensitive to every little ache and pain these last two weeks!

Gosh, that is so reassuring. I thought I was all achy because I have gained 5 pounds and my body is refusing to carry it around!

Last night I managed to work in "I'm running a marathon next Sunday" in a dialog with my pharmacist. I don't think it will be long before I am tapping strangers on the shoulder and saying "excuse me, but I just thought you should know, I'm running a marathon on Sunday" :rotfl:

Sunny, this had me :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I'd bet that 1/2 the people I interacted with at the hospital knew that Howard was planning to run a 1/2 marathon and I was planning to walk it! And we have been getting emails and cards from so many friends who know this is the weekend! I can't imagine how I'll get through tomorrow without telling another 10 people or so! :teeth:

Geez, I'd better shut down my computer so that I can concentrate on my 5:00 teleconference. Oh, what the heck, let's keep the browser open to the WISH boards for another 6 minutes! :rotfl:

gatorphipps
01-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey all! Just got back from "THE WORLD" last night and it was wonderful weather! A little warm for running...but not as hot as last year. Will be flying back Friday for the Goofy!

Cam - Praying for you and Howard.

Could not read everyones post, but excited about the race....I also signed up for my 1st tri @ 1am Jan 1st! :cool1: The tri is in March!
Christa

wtpclc
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Yup, sounds like me. Just talkted to someone I haven't talked to in abuot 2 years. She knows. WHo else can I call? ;) SHall I tell teh people at K-mart that I'm buying disposable gear?

Couple of funnies:

1. DH refuses to erase our time for teh 20-miler on his watch, even though the garmin data is uploaded. he says he'll do it for the marathon, but it may be at 5:59 on Sunday.

2. DH is very frugal and I'm not. I try to be so I was going to Goodwill to get disposable clothes. Dh wants new ones. The shirt and pants must be different colors, but matching. He has to be comfortable in how he looks in his clothes, as he needs every mental advantage. WHatever you say sweetie! lol!

princessmomma
01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Actually, it says that feeling all sorts of aches and pains is normal, and feeling sluggish is normal for some. \

Oh, THANK Goodness!! :worship:

I was really beginning to worry about my aches and pains, my knee had really been giving me trouble the last 2 weeks. Generally, the knee has been achy, lots of ice, my icemaker is getting a workout!

Cam and Sunny feeling a little cagey today? That is suppose to be a good sign.

Colleen

keenercam
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Christa -- Welcome back! We missed you! :hug: Congrats on signing on for a Tri! I am so impressed!

Carrie -- DH sounds like a cutie! Think he's a little superstitious? I am finding I am actually glad that I may be using my old beat up asics pants rather than my new ones. These have been through a lot with me. Howard says no one will care how I look. Glad he isn't worried that I will embarass him! ;)

Colleen -- sending :wizard: for your knee! Oh, and BTW, "cagey" is quite an apt description! :banana: :Pinkbounc

Tiger Lily 03
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Question - If I put my name in something I end up discarding, (shirt) what are my odds of getting it back, eventually?Zero %. They just grab and go with them. That’s what I observed last year.

Honeibee! So you are doing research and Cam and Howard’s place will be home for the study!” Hooo boy! You should do it! Your DH won’t even miss you and we will!
:hug: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Sunny, thanks for the taper article. It fits.

:hyper: Hyper, yep! Only thing for me is that at work I had to push it up quite a bit. Three days work for the week and today was also someone coming in to demo a new software and piece of equipment. I too am telling every living, breathing thing…tee hee you have made me all laugh at this. Do ya know—I told this guy setting up our demo I am off to run the World this weekend! It seems to be worked into almost all things I’m saying lately. (Well he wanted to know when he might be able to return to retrieve the equipment and software…I just HAD to tell him!)

I must go begin the packing process right now or I won't have anything to take with me.

plutosmyfav
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM
I also signed up for my 1st tri @ 1am Jan 1st! :cool1: The tri is in March!
Christa

I knew it!!!! Remember me saying you'd be the next tri among us??? Yippeee that is awsome!

I just ate almost an entire box of spaghetti :earseek: :scared1: I calculated the points and it came out to 17. OMG I don't think that is acceptable behavior at all!!!!!

DS has to have this :maleficen put in. He's standing here saying "put that one in" :bounce:

Sunny

TEK224
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Just doing a quick check-in. I'm all packed! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
I hope I didn't forget anything. I should've taken the day off from work today. Got hardly anything accomplished. My mind was everywhere, but work. All my co-workers know I'm doing the Goofy (of course they think I'm "goofy" too :teeth: ).

Gonna take car of some last minute things at home and get to bed. My ride comes at 6 AM. See everybody at TE on Friday!

Terri
(Off to the World)

keenercam
01-03-2006, 09:40 PM
By, Terri, travel well! See you Friday!

Geez, Sunny, you sound like me. I ate SIX mini turkey sausage (9 points) and some egg beaters (2). I feel SOOO sick. Then, just to make myself feel better, I had a handful of doritos. Can't even remember the last time I did that. UGH!

Thank you so much to my fairy Garminmother! :wizard: Just when you think you have seen every generous gesture on these boards (including one by Melissa last week that I am sure I will remember for the rest of my life :hug: ), someone does another sweet thing. Someone here (and you know who you are!) spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with me tonight helping me set up my Garmin, after I somehow messed up the settings and display. I am so grateful not to worrry about that. Thank you! :hug:

So, I just have to get through about 6.5 hours of work tomorrow and then I can focus on packing. YIPPEE!!! :Pinkbounc

MelRhoads
01-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Talk about looking bad for the race pictures, I just got back from rock climing with Phil and the boy. I only did one route and of course, I'm all bruised and scraped!! Mostly on my arms, from sticking them in a big crack (no one laugh, that is what it is called!) Now I'm all worried that they are going to sting when I sweat! I'm sure they will be better by Sat/Sun.

Sunny - I'm going to have to go back and read your article tomorrow. I have been feeling yucky these past few weeks. I have been especially achey like i have a real low grade fever. Of course, I bounced all of my sympoms off of phil, and then b/4 giving him a chance to respond, I came up with my own fatal diagnosis. He thinks I'm just tired from running alot :confused3 :rotfl2: I won't let him read the article if it proves him right!

I also totally understand the telling complete strangers my travel plans!!! I just can't help myself!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Whew--going a bit in reverse...but I unpacked all of our stuff...YEAH!!! (yes, a cheer for UNpacking--LOL!!!)

The race suitcase has been thinned down--it carried my racing essentials and other carryon items. It will now be filled up with more stuff like that WISH shirt I finally got to see and my waiver I finally received. :)

I was soooo happy to see flat land that was green and had water on it--I so love Florida and missed it much :). New Mexico was beautiful--but Florida is green and has water ;) oh and it has Mickey, too!!! And I'd say warmer weather--but looks like I brought the cold with me. And guess where my jacket is????? Packed a few boxes for UPS and shipped (or took them to Staples anyway) on Monday. So guess who doesn't have a "winter" coat until Monday after a very cold week. Brrrrr!!!! OOPS!!!

Hitting the thrift stores tomorrow after cleaning the house. My house was so amazingly clean--as in cleaner than usual since I had that housekeeper come before I left. But cat fur everywhere---and some presents were left that the pet sitter tried to catch all of (all together now--EWWWWW!!!!). So that is my task tomorrow. Was going to head to the PT. I'll see where I can squeeze that in for one last hurrah before the race.

Heading over on Thursday--staying at AsMusic and then switching to CBR on Friday :) :) :).

Lisa loves Pooh
01-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Just a note--I'm glad I came home today--1:30am and I'm still raring to go!!!

Need to adjust to the eastern time zone. UGH!

perfectmatch300
01-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Wow. it's almost race time!

The very late local weather just said that temps both Sat and Sun AM may approach freezing! Should warm up a lot during the day but I think I'd prepare for the clod at the starting line.

Chimera and Sunny - great poems! Thanks for sharing them.

Cam, glad to hear that Howard is feeling better and will be able to make the trip.

MelR, congrats on getting those dining ressies made!

Can't wait to see all of you at Trails End on Friday!

princessmomma
01-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Good morning all, safe travels to all those leaving today!

Lisa, you must be glad to be home! That is a quick turn around with that suitcase.

I know I have been overly preoccupied with the weather. But now that the forecast has been stable over the last few days, I am really concerned about the 35 degree morning forecast. If it was 35 degrees for a training LR at home, I would be wearing tights and three layers on top. Then it would be reasonable to plan to wear tights for the marathon. But what I am really concerned about, as my son would say, is that I will be 'flaming' by mile 13 in tights. So what do you think the temp will get to around 8, 9 or 10 o'clock Sunday morning?

Christa and Bree, I noticed you two wore tights in 2004. How was it?

Colleen

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Yikes! That's all I can say is Yikes!! It's sooo close!

Ok, picked up disposal ble sweats last night, with hoods. Starting to ge a little more concerned about the near freezing temps. Arghhh... I know I can run in them and I don't want it too haot. but 40 -55 would eb very nice.

After teh 30 min run tonight, I will charge the garmin and the camera batteries. I've got a couple other little things to finish adn teh pack Thursday. I do have a list of what to pack already. Loaded teh fanny pack last night. Dh was counting Gus when I got home. I just can't believe we're already almost here!

keenercam
01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Okay, Carrie, I just read that as counting "GUS" as in Cinderella's fat little mouse.
How weird am I? :rolleyes:

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 08:28 AM
:teeth: That's so funny Cam, as Gus is dh's little sister's nick name. yes, dur to her love of Gus Gus when she was 2. Gu's is what I meant. Probably would have helped.

keenercam
01-04-2006, 08:40 AM
geez, I am feeling a bit slap-HAPPY! :teeth:

okay, I am seriously out of here. Have to prepare for my hearing. BUT you guys are so much more fun! :goodvibes

MelRhoads
01-04-2006, 08:58 AM
EEEEEEEEKKKKKK! I'm going shopping and packing today!!!! :earseek:

gatorphipps
01-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Christa and Bree, I noticed you two wore tights in 2004. How was it?
2004 was very cool temp wise. 2005 was very HOT! It looks like this year will be somewhere in the middle!

Here is an email Bree's FIL sent us. It is kind of long but I loved it! I know you will too.
This is the first “Penguin Chronicle” written years ago by John Bingham. This is the philosophy that drew me to this sport. I offer it in case any of you may identify with part of this. I certainly do…lots.

ron

The original, unedited,
Penguin Chronicle

You may be a Penguin

I can see the finish line, and I feel an emotional rush that transforms me from a mere mortal into a mythical creature with winged feet. Well, OK, maybe not winged feet. How about a mythical creature with webbed feet? Forget eagles and sparrows, it's time to celebrate the power of penguins.

The runner as Penguin? No way!! Gazelles, Cheetahs, thoroughbreds. The metaphors for runners always seem to conjure up images of fleet footed creatures moving swiftly across the landscape barely casting a shadow. What those metaphors miss are the thousands of us who plod steadily along undeterred and unmoved by glycogen depletion and lactate acid buildup.

You've seen a penguin run. A chaotic flurry of feet. A living testimony to the dominance of will over form. And many of us, those for whom a 10k qualifies as their long, slow run for the week, represent no less a victory of will over form. With the indomitable force of the glaciers, we plod and shuffle our way through race after race. More amazingly, to you eagles and sparrows, we penguins are having the time of our lives.

You've seen us at the races. Or at least you've seen us at the races that are out-and-back courses. We are the ones with huge smiles on our faces. We are the ones coming across the finish line as you are getting in your car to go home.

You may be a penguin and not even know it. Take this simple test:

1) At your most recent race your goal was to:
a) set a new national age group record.
b) finish before the awards ceremony was over.

2) The food at the end of a race is usually:
a) a selection of fresh fruits, cookies, sports drinks, water.
b) bruised bananas and broken bits of oatmeal raisin cookies.

3) At a recent marathon you:
a) ran negative splits after mile 15.
b) stopped to get the rest room key at a service station.

4) At the finish line, the people are:
a) screaming because you just set a new national record.
b) related to you.

It may surprise the eagles to know that we, the penguins, are really and truly doing the best that we can. One cannot undo the physical effects of 30 or 40 or more years of neglect and abuse in a matter of weeks or months. What one can do is to slowly but surely undo the years of emotional neglect and abuse of the soul.

We penguins run with more weight than the eagles and sparrows. We run carrying the burden of failures past, present and future. We drag with us our failures as husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters. We carry on our shoulders the accumulated residue of diets that didn't work, exercise programs that didn't stick, and resolutions that were never kept.

Our running shoes are really erasers. Every step erases some memory of a past failure. Every mile brings us closer to a clean slate. Each foot strike rubs away a word, a look, or an event which led us to believe that success was beyond our grasp.

You may be a penguin, or you may know someone who is. The running community has barely begun to attract and embrace the penguins in their midst. We are out there. We are looking for any chance at all to prove to ourselves that we can do it. We need to convince ourselves that we can persist against the odds. We are waiting to prove that we can succeed.

A word to the race directors: Most of you are, or were, probably at least sparrows, if not eagles. Most of you continue to be involved in the running community because of the pleasant and positive experiences that you have had. Most of you cannot imagine running a 10K in 60 minutes and being thrilled.

But, believe it or not, there are thousands of penguins out there shuffling and scuffling their way to the finish line. For them, as for me, the miracle is not that we finished, the miracle is that we had the courage to start.

If you want to do the nicest thing imaginable for the penguins, give us a round of applause at the beginning of the race. Let us take a minute to congratulate ourselves for standing at the starting line. Let us hear, maybe for the first time in our lives, the sound of a group of people cheering for our accomplishments.

Nearly everyone will be gone by the time we reach the finish line. If we are going to hear the cheers, it will have to be at the beginning. Once the race starts, as the eagles pursue absolute perfection and the sparrows reach for a new personal record, the penguins will be engaged in the search for their inner child. Our run is not measured by the clock. Our run is measured only by our own will.

So... fellow penguins... UNITE. We, the webbed-footed wonders will prevail. We do not march to the beat of a different drummer, we ramble to the syncopation of our own existence. We run free of the constraints of VO2 max and lactic acid. We seek a higher order of satisfaction.

And yes... fellow penguins... we are athletes. We are, perhaps, the greatest of all athletes. Whatever your chosen method of play, whether it is running or bicycling (oh yes, there are penguins out on the roads!!) or water aerobics, or anything else that gets you up and moving, you are an athlete. You personify the very best of the athletic ideal.

Waddle on, friends, the future is ours.

aladdinsgirl
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm all packed!!!!! Who else is getting scared? I don't doubt my ability to run the half, I know I'll make it and I'll do fine, but I'm still SO scared!! :goodvibes I can't believe that 3 days from now I'll be sitting on the plane and 4 days from now it'll all be over. :earseek: I'm going to have to remind myself when I'm running to take time and actually enjoy the race and the surroundings. I'm a very focused runner and I block out everything around me, it would be a shame to block out running through the Magic Kingdom!

Sunny--thanks for that article, it's good to know that being achy is normal. It seems like everytime I stand up, my bones are creaking and my quads are tight.

Cam--I know what you mean about not being able to concentrate at work. Yesterday was awful and today isn't looking much better. If I can make it through 15 1/2 hours then I'm golden.

MelR--Good luck packing and shopping today! Oh, and good job making your dining ADR's. :Pinkbounc

Heather--Your shoe story made me laugh. I'm glad you got something you are comfortable in.

Carrie--I know what your husband means about sweats that match, but are not the same color. I'm not the type of person who wears sweat pants, in fact the pair I bought last night are probably the first pair I've owned since elementary school. I definitely bought different colors for my pants and shirt--I didn't want to look like a giant kindergartener!!

Colleen--I too am debating running in tights. If the high is 60, that won't happen until around 1:00 or so, so what's it going to be like at 7:00 in the morning? And tights aren't something you can just slip off. Decisions, decisions!! :teeth:

I better do some work today, if nothing else it'll get my mind off the marathon. I'm doing my last run tonight. I can't believe it. Can't wait to see you guys on Friday!!

Krista princess:

DisneyGirl
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I just wanted to say Good Luck everyone!!!!! I'm so jealous!! I can't wait to "train" with all of you this year!! I know how you feel, though, because I was in the exact same position last year!

I can't wait to hear how great everyone did, and see pictures of all of your Mickeys, Donalds and Goofys!! Good Luck!!!

Honeibee
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
The excitement is palatable here! :Pinkbounc :banana: :cheer2: OMG I get all worked up just READING this thread! Do they do a drug test before the race? I might have to take a Valium just to get me to the starting line! (Just kidding. The only drugs I EVER take are Advil.) :goodvibes

Cam - I know you're off-line and pretending to concentrate on work, but I have to share a little story from last night...

Cleaning up after dinner (AMAZING that I held off THAT long and didn't start in on it before dinner!) I was, umm, casually mentioning to my DH that you had a spare bedroom and maybe I should go to WDW this weekend to check things out. You know what he said??? "Yes, that's a good idea." :earseek:

I stopped dead in my tracks because every time I mention going anywhere without him he sulks and whines. But since I have declined to go on this ski trip he is taking the kids on this weekend I guess in his book it would be OK since he wouldn't be home anyway.

I'm serisouly thinking about it. I have to see if I can work thru a bit of an issue I have at home, but after I get off the DISBoards (OK, like I ever REALLY do.) I'm going to stroll over to Spiritair.com.... I'm not getting my hopes up. A small miracle would have to happen, but I'm thinknig about it.

Carrie - What are GU's? Sorry if it's a silly question but I am still so new to all this. :blush:

Lisa - OMG, you have so much going on! :Pinkbounc

I have a question for those of you wearing headphones. I'm wondering if I would be better off listening to tunes during the race, which I find very motivational, or listening to the crowd cheer me on, which might get me totally pumped up. If you have the headphones on do you miss out on all that's going on around you or is that that point? Does having the headphones on help you concentrate? :confused3

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Sending PD to Honibe for good flights!!! You HAVE to come!!!!

Gu - A power gel. HIgh carb and electrolytes. I do mostly Gu and water instead of Powerade and/or food during the run.

Just think, this time next year, you'll be answering these questions! ;)

DisneyGirl
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I have a question for those of you wearing headphones. I'm wondering if I would be better off listening to tunes during the race, which I find very motivational, or listening to the crowd cheer me on, which might get me totally pumped up. If you have the headphones on do you miss out on all that's going on around you or is that that point? Does having the headphones on help you concentrate? :confused3

I'm not running this race, but I would like to give my opinion (I have opinions on everything :dog2: ). I have to entertain myself as much as I can when I train-- I actually tend to train on a treadmill because then, I can bring a book with me (yes, I taught myself to be able to read while I run)! I always have either my iPod, or a radio that can tune into the TVs at the gym. I even tried using a laptop on my elliptical machine at home, but that didn't work too good :rolleyes:

If I'm running outside, it has to be in a place where there is lots to look at, and I HAVE to have my music, or it just doesn't happen.

That said, I have never used music when I've run races-- especially a the Disney World 1/2 last year, and I did not get bored-- you end up talking to people as you go along that are at your pace, and then there are the people on the side cheering you on. So, where I certainly think having an iPod is a great idea (and probably will for my next race), if I can do it without music and not get bored, anyone can :-)!!!!

In a related "story," I almost did quit 3 miles before the end of the 1/2 last year, and probably would have if I was in my own world listening to music. But someone next to me said something along the lines of "you've done 5Ks before, right?" and I answered "yes", and he said "well, you have less than that to go-- just think that way!" I think that got me to the end (all I was thinking was how much pain I was in-- I didn't train well last year), but I don't know if I would have made it if I wasn't paying attention to the people around me!!

plutosmyfav
01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
MelR-- IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!! Get your fanny in gear and pack like there's no tomorrow :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Christa-- Thank you for the Penguin article. That was just what I needed about now. We watched March of the Penguins for New Year's Eve. Those little guys are heavy-duty athletes!!!! They do ultras several times per year! I'm proud to be a penguin.

OK, I have a problem. Along with the aches and pains that are sprouting up everywhere, I have a real pain. My right hip has been in pain for three days now. Moving my neck makes it hurt. At times walking is kind of difficult. I'm scared to death. I think its too late to do anything that might help it. Does anyone know of this sort of thing? I'm afraid its a pinched nerve or spinal thing since its connected to my neck. I know it didn't cause a problem on my two short runs this week. But its sure more than a little ache. :(

But Good News! I zipped over to WW and got my January LT WI done. Phew! I was below goal by one pound. I'm sure that will be the last time that is true for January. Now I will have a few weeks to undo Disney damage for Feb's WI. I celebrated my achievement by stopping at DD for a coffee roll on my way back to work :rolleyes:

I'm so sad this is all going to be over soon. We will all meeta again on the boards after the race, right? We will have a thread to look for, right? (Mel?) Oh I am so emotional :sad: :hyper: :scared1: :goodvibes

Sunny

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 11:19 AM
We must have a post-race thread. And don't stop it unti lI get back!!!!

Sunny - Try alternating ice and heat on your neck (and maybe thip too?) That does the ebst for me when I pinch tha nerve in my neck. Can't say it's effect my hip before, but it does sound like a nerve thing.

MelRhoads
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Sunny - As we all know, I am not allowed to come up with medical theroies, but phil is not home.... so..... I think you should take some anti-inflams. If it is a back/nerve thing, getting any inflamation down in the area cant hurt! When I take them, I take 3/three times per day. My theory is "Can't hurt, might help, sure to be a crowd pleaser" (I know the race packet has a big page on why these are bad, but hey, isn't tylenol a sponsor?)

Minnie
01-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Sunny - My chiro said that the hip/back/neck area is connected so when one area goes another is sure to follow. As an explanation to why I am having an issue with one shoulder/neck area along with the hip problem. Is there anyway you could visit your PT or chiro before heading to WDW :confused3 Otherwise rest and ice as much as possible before your event. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on the way to you!!!!!!!

Minnie
01-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm so sad this is all going to be over soon. We will all meeta again on the boards after the race, right? We will have a thread to look for, right? (Mel?) Oh I am so emotional :sad: :hyper: :scared1: :goodvibes

Sunny

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the training thread going. I have learned so much from all of you even though I won't be able to be there this year. All the knowledge, encouragement, and pure kindness that I have found here is worth so much more to me than the lost entry.

Oh and PLEASE come back and post about your trips. I want to read all about how wonderful you all did. I will be wearing my Wish shirt this weekend in support even though I will be hundreds of miles away from you all.

:wizard: :cheer2: :grouphug: to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I have to share my small (but big to me victory). I have had no liquids other than milk (with dinner), water and herbal tea. Today, the guy in the cafeteria offers me a free diet Coke, as I was abit clueless and blamed it on a rough week. Yeah, rough because I can't concentrate on annything! :rotfl: Anyway, I thanked him and turned it down. Of course, maybe this wasn't me being good, maybe it was just a ploy so I could tell him I'm running in a marathon Sunday!!! :teeth:

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Just got the e-mail!

Anyone going to the pre-race worship service on Sunday? I'd love to meet up with everyone there. Then again, that may be chaos too.

Disneefun
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!! I'm getting sooo excited/nervous. I think I may throw up. I used to get like this before skating competitions when I was a kid. It's a feeling I haven't felt in a long time. The motorhome is almost packed (have to throw in the dog food and the dog) and we're leaving in the very early AM tomorrow. Hope to be at FW by 4:00 or so before rush hour. Is anyone else staying at FW?

The weather forecaast has caused me to pack two-four of everything running related that I own in the hopes of finding the magical combo. for the race mornings. I can run in the cold - been doing it for a couple of months -- but I really, really wish it would get just a hair warmer as I greatly prefer my shorts to my pants. But whatever, I'll just deal.

I'm really hoping this trip will be fun. My parents are coming, as are DH's and my BIL/SIL. My parents are cool. They love Disney and will be content to explore on their own. DH's parents don't know disney that well and are kind of clingy. Plus they're freaked about the cost (I tried to help by explaining and giving my best budget tips but they didn't listen). So I hope they'll be cool with going their own way. We want to get together for some meals, etc., but mostly everybody is expected to go their own way and do their own thing -- hopefully this will cut down on arguments and whining. I can't spare the energy to referee arguments and deal with any whining so I told DH that the rule for this trip was no whining about anything. Cost, the weather, transportation, park crowds, whatever bugs you, no whining!!!!

Travel safe, all and I hope to see everybody at TE!!!!

Honeibee
01-04-2006, 12:36 PM
I have to share my small (but big to me victory). I have had no liquids other than milk (with dinner), water and herbal tea. Today, the guy in the cafeteria offers me a free diet Coke, as I was abit clueless and blamed it on a rough week. Yeah, rough because I can't concentrate on annything! :rotfl: Anyway, I thanked him and turned it down. Of course, maybe this wasn't me being good, maybe it was just a ploy so I could tell him I'm running in a marathon Sunday!!! :teeth:

:rotfl: Carrie! You're too too funny! :rotfl2:

plutosmyfav
01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the hip advice. I will advil, ice and pray! I don't have a PT or chiro and we leave in less than 24 hours so this is it!

I think that is a perfectly acceptable way of working in "I'm running a marathon", I think it really fits in just about any conversation...

"Sorry I'm late, traffic was awful"
"Oh, I'm going to be facing some pretty thick traffic at MY MARATHON"

"Should I buy the blue or green blazer"
"I'd buy both, I'm bringing doubles of everything for MY MARATHON"

"I just won the lottery!!!"
"Wow, that's exactly how I'm going to feel when I finish MY MARATHON"

"we need to move the 3 o'clock telecon up to 2 today"
"Oh, that's fine I don't leave for MY MARATHON until tomorrow"

I've noticed a pesky problem with "The Others". They just don't seem all that intersted in my right glute, left quad, or heal pains?!?! What's up with that :confused3 Isn't the every movement of MY BODY the most important thing going right now????? Geeesh!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Sunny - :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Honeibee - How many ways can I spell your name. Think I got it this time, but I make no guarantees for next time. You know, I'm in a marthon SUnday and my concentration's gone.

disneefun - I used to have a book called "No Fighting, No Biting." Perhaps that would help set the mood on the way down for you! ;) Or you could just say, "First one to whine does the marathon with me."

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Sunny - A massage therapist I know recommends teh little Salonpas hot patches. You can get those at Walgreen.

chimera
01-04-2006, 02:29 PM

Sunny

What I was thinking post-race was posting this weekend's thread when I get back on Sun for everyone's race reports. Awhile back, we had discussed converting ourselves to the WISH Walking/Running Club, so I was planning to start posting the threads with that subject line the following week. That way we can still train for 2007 at WDW, but also any other races that any of us do in between!

We had tried a monthly thread last January when this all started, but it got too big too fast, so I was planning to stick to weekly threads.

How does that sound to everyone? :flower:

chimera
01-04-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm serisouly thinking about it. I have to see if I can work thru a bit of an issue I have at home, but after I get off the DISBoards (OK, like I ever REALLY do.) I'm going to stroll over to Spiritair.com.... I'm not getting my hopes up. A small miracle would have to happen, but I'm thinknig about it.

Come on down! We've got space at Trails End for dinner!

Honeibee
01-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Sunny - :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Honeibee - How many ways can I spell your name. Think I got it this time, but I make no guarantees for next time. You know, I'm in a marthon SUnday and my concentration's gone.

disneefun - I used to have a book called "No Fighting, No Biting." Perhaps that would help set the mood on the way down for you! ;) Or you could just say, "First one to whine does the marathon with me."

Sunny, it's rubbing off on you too, this "I'm in a marathon Sunday" thing! :rotfl: I don't care how you spell my name. Just don't call me late for dinner. :goodvibes

Hey, some good news!! :banana: I just got back from ...ta da....MY LAST PHYSICAL THERAPY APPOINTMENT! :cheer2: I've been going since the last week in July, and although it has worked wonders, I truely think it has done all it can do. The rest is up to me. Plus, it was $90.00 a week! So, of course, I had to tell my therapist...."Well, you know, I'm doing a half marathon next year..." :rotfl:

Honeibee
01-04-2006, 02:38 PM
What I was thinking post-race was posting this weekend's thread when I get back on Sun for everyone's race reports. Awhile back, we had discussed converting ourselves to the WISH Walking/Running Club, so I was planning to start posting the threads with that subject line the following week. That way we can still train for 2007 at WDW, but also any other races that any of us do in between!

We had tried a monthly thread last January when this all started, but it got too big too fast, so I was planning to stick to weekly threads.

Sounds great to me. At the rate we post, I can see a monthly thead being reeeeaaaally looooong. Chimera, thanks for doing this. I learn so much from you guys. :goodvibes

And thanks, I'm still working on things. Don't tease me with the space at TE. You temptress you! ;)

wtpclc
01-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Come on down! We've got space at Trails End for dinner!
lol. Perhaps I should send my parents in my place. ;)

MelRhoads
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I wish i knew a massage therapist! Are there post race massage tables??? I really want one!

DisneyGirl
01-04-2006, 03:19 PM

This sounds like a *great* idea to me! :Pinkbounc

Lisa loves Pooh
01-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Go to start my van readying to drop off the rental and it doesn't start. The durn thing DIED while I was gone. Totally unacceptable for that to happen (not happy with Saturn as this is a 2005 van...hellooo--can't last for 2 weeks without a start???? Hubby's car started after 4 weeks of sitting!!!!).

After a stressful afternoon--Saturn Roadside Assistance came and after 10 minutes of jumping, the van started.

We will take it out for a drive this afternoon.

Evidently--I didn't taper it properly before I left. :laughing:

MelRhoads
01-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I know my carry-on is good. I think I have enough stuff in there to do 4 full races w/o wearing repeats!!!!

I have no idea what I just put in my suitcase. I may be walking around the parks in running tights or shorts and the shirts that they give us with our race stuff!! Maybe my wish shirt will dry fast and I can wash it every night if I forgot anything!

I know I got enough stuff for the boy. I just put laundry away, and there is NOTHING in his drawers! I may still add his had and gloves in case it is cold when it gets dark. :crazy: :crazy2: :hyper2: :hyper: :jumping2:

chimera
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I think that is a perfectly acceptable way of working in "I'm running a marathon", I think it really fits in just about any conversation...

"Sorry I'm late, traffic was awful"
"Oh, I'm going to be facing some pretty thick traffic at MY MARATHON"

"Should I buy the blue or green blazer"
"I'd buy both, I'm bringing doubles of everything for MY MARATHON"

"I just won the lottery!!!"
"Wow, that's exactly how I'm going to feel when I finish MY MARATHON"

"we need to move the 3 o'clock telecon up to 2 today"
"Oh, that's fine I don't leave for MY MARATHON until tomorrow"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Minnie
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Absolutely Fantastic!!!!!!

chimera
01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
This is probably it for me, folks! We're leaving tomorrow night as soon as I get home from work. I still can't believe I started "training to train" one year ago and now it's almost here :cloud9:

Tonight was my last training run and the theme was "Mind Over Matter". Since the taper started, my runs have been absolutely awful. Just haven't been mentally into it and each one was a stonker. Tonight was perfect! I even overran some of my running intervals because I didn't get so winded and tight. Pace was 13:55 for 2.5 miles.

:wizard: for safe travels to all of you. I look forward to meeting many of you at TE on Friday and the rest at the "butt crack of dawn" on Sat! I'll also be looking for everyone at the "W" tent after the race. :grouphug:

Tiger Lily 03
01-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Honeibee, really hoping things work out for you. (WISHing you to be there with us)

Sunny, You are so funny! I love it. I confess, I did my share of blah, blah....I'm doing a marathon this weekend too! Pretty funny for me too that the demo guy doing the follow-up today remembered to WISH me the best for the weekend! I am thinking I haven't left out anyone from my news flash!
:teeth:

Great that we will all continue our training together this year. I look forward to the new threads.

Don't forget to share trip reports and pictures! Want to see those pics. :teeth:

Stress is having a carry on overfull. How big am I allowed? I have 2 of everything including throw away layers. I am wondering if those won't be tossed it seems like it might be kinda cool. Ohh boy need to stuff my last attempt to get that bag just right.
:wizard:
See everyone soon. I have one more day to work.

keenercam
01-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi, everyone! This is my final check-in. I think we have everything charged (let's sse, that's 2 cell phones, 2 ipod shuffles, 1 ipod, 2 garmins. . . ) Did I forget anything? :rotfl: I actually forced myself to get rid of some of the stuff I overpacked for the 1/2. Let's face it -- the reality is that it is going to be extremely cold in the a.m. and we will be done before it gets so warm that I'd need shorts. So, I got rid of the bike shorts and the non-WISH oversized tee shirt, the yoga pants :confused3: and 2 other potential shirts. The fact is -- you guys got me here and I am going to be so proud to wear that neon --- um, I mean LIME-- green WISH shirt! :banana: on race day. I don't need other options! :teeth:

Will get on line real quick tonight to print our boarding passes at midnight then to bed for a few hours until we get up in time to leave by 4 am.

Can't wait to see you all at Trails End. Travel safely everyone! Sending one more quick dose of :wizard: and :goodvibes: and lots of :grouphug:

Much love and gratitude and excitement too!
Cam

P.S. Where is Honeibee?!?!?!! I am still hoping she'll be able to join us! Call me!

perfectmatch300
01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm sure I will see a lot of you in person on Fri to wish you well on your races, but for those of you I will not get to see there, or who I may not get a chance to talk to at the dinner - GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RACES!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

You have all trained so well. I'm sure you will all do great! Have a fantastic time and enjoy the experience! I can't wait to see your medals and hear your race experience stories! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Honeibee, are you coming? Don't those airlines know how important this is? :confused3

skfulkers
01-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, just about time to hit the road. Our suitcases are packed, and we've gone over our packing list and to-do list twice. I think we can finally breathe now. :) One last day of work and then the in-laws will be here tomorrow night for our EARLY flight on Friday morning. I probably won't get another chance to post before this weekend, so let me say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone here for all the support and encouragement. I couldn't even begin to say in one post how much you all have meant to us over this past year. It's hard to believe how far everyone has come this year. You should all be so proud of yourselves (I know we are :) ).

Safe travels to everyone and we'll see you all at Trail's End and the starting lines.

Run strong and run proud.

Steve

princessmomma
01-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Wow, I think this is going to be my last post too! I will pick the kids up from school around 2:00 today for out 5:00 flight.

I packed my carryon with my running gear, that is one big bag, mostly stuffed with my throw-away garments to survive the 34 degree temperature for 2 hours. I still may go out to purchase a goodwill blanket to wrap around myself or sit on. Is the staging area on grass or a parking lot? I don't know why I have the image of an infield of a track??

I also ran my last 30 minute run yesterday (before my easy one in Orlando, make sure everyone packs running clothes for that one too!) and it was another stonker. I really hope it all comes together Sunday morning.

Safe travels to whomever is left here. We will see you at TE's.

Colleen

kaf7878
01-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow, I can't believe you guys are leaving for the World!!! I'm jealous! We're driving over early Saturday to make it to the kids races and we'll stay till Monday. I will miss you at Trails End :guilty:

I have one last "real" run today--5 miles and then just a 2 mile quickie tomorrow. Gosh, I feel like I am going to throw up whenever I think about the race--just the anticipation/anxiousness/nerves etc. I know I'll finish--I just want to get started!

Have a safe trip everyone. Though I won't be at dinner tomorrow, I hope to spot your lime green shirts during the race!!!

Kelly

plutosmyfav
01-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Good bye everyone :wave: See you at TE real soon!

I'm at work, will leave at 11:20, pick up DS at school and then straight to the air port. One last check with Mom to make sure DM and DD will be there when DD gets home from school. I'm so sad she's not coming, but it was her choice.

Lily, my carryons are so packed I'm worrying they might spring a zipper! I sure hope they will fit in the overhead. No time to change anything now!

Sunny

Lisa loves Pooh
01-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Toodles all--I printed the Trails End list so we won't wonder "who are we missing?". :)

Off to the world momentarily (or hour-tarily ;)).

aladdinsgirl
01-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Checking in for the last time. I can't believe the marathon is here. Wow. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could do this. Thank you all so much for your support, advice, and above all friendship. I know I could have never done it without you all. I can't wait to meet you tomorrow! And to see everyone run or walk the half and the full--I'll be your biggest cheerleader during the full. Safe travels and :wizard: :wizard: for an incredible race. I love you all!

Krista princess:

Jynohn
01-05-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm at work, will leave at 11:20, pick up DS at school and then straight to the air port. One last check with Mom to make sure DM and DD will be there when DD gets home from school. I'm so sad she's not coming, but it was her choice.

Wow, that's my EXACT plan too! I see you live in MA. Wonder if we're on the same flight! :teeth:

msblrobs
01-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Cleaning up loose ends this at work today and then driving the kids to my parents this evening. Off to the airport at the break of dawn tomorrow.
I had my last 2 mile easy run very early this morning and then gave my treadmill a farewell kiss. It has served me well in preparation for the race.
Looking forward to meeting many of you at Trail's End tomorrow. To those who cannot attend the dinner, I wish you all the best during the races this weekend. May it be the experience you had hoped for. From personal experience I can say it truly is a magical event.
I will have my WISH shirt on for the full on Sunday. My race number is 4157. Please introduce yourself if you happen to see me. Thank you oh so much for your support, encouragement and wisdom. I feel very blessed to be sharing part of this journey with you all.
Goofy of bust!!! :banana:

DisneyGirl
01-05-2006, 08:40 AM
GOOD LUCK AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL BE ROOTING FOR YOU!!

(and if it gets too cold down there at the start, just think, no matter what, it's colder where I am!!! :-))

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 08:44 AM
ANd here I am... DOn't leave work 'til tomorrow at 4. :( Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself ro snythign... ;)

OK, so the random stranger from teh post office now knows about my marathon. Really, it fit right in!

MelR - I know a massage thereapist and she's given me advice, but she's the owbner's daughter and that would make an actual massage really weird for me.

Lisa - Gonna' have to have a talk with you about proper vehicle taper techniques. :rotfl:

So, is it just me here? That's ok, y'all know I can entertain myself. ;) Gonna' be a long 2 days.

MelRhoads
01-05-2006, 09:02 AM
See everyone soon! We are leaving for the airport in a few minutes. The boy just came in to wake us up. He said "today is the day we go on an airplane to disney world!" He is very excited. He even dressed himself in a bright yellow t-shirt and some red arkansas razorback shorts (EEEEKK) I talked him into jeans.

See you all tomorrow. I'm SO EXCITED TO MEET YOU ALL

Minnie
01-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Just a last sprinkle of :wizard: and a bunch of :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for safe travels and a wonderful experience to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please report back and tell us all how it went!

TXBelle
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Carrie- You are not alone! DH and I leave tomorrow morning before dawn. Can't wait! I still have to finish packing tonight. All of my race clothes are packed but now to figure out what to throw in for the rest of the trip. Still working out my strategy for where I am going to watch the marathon on Sunday. I will let all you Marathoners know tomorrow at TE so that you can look for me along the race course. :cheer2:

Have a safe trip everyone! See you tomorrow. :moped:

Honeibee
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Is it just me here now? :guilty:

I'm so mad I could just SPIT! I could scream! I could throw things! UUUUGGGGHHHH!

I can't go. I'm mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier. DAMN TARNATIONS! I'm an IDIOT! WHY didn't I think of this two weeks ago??? I have too many things going on this weekend that APPARNTLY I can not reschedule because I get NO cooperation from ANYONE! (Where's the hissy fit smilie!?!?!?)

I'm probably venting to myself since all you guys are mostly already gone. :sad1:

I'm a total loser. :sad2:

And now that I log-on and read all your messages looking for me, well, too bad I didn't put on waterproof mascara this morning because you guys are all soooo sweet you made me cry. :o THANK YOU all so much, all of you who are looking for me.

I'll be sitting here at my desk....sulking all day.

Where's the kicking rocks smilie??

:bored:

panthergirl
01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
You are not alone Carrie. We leave tomorrow morning at 7:45. I am getting lots of grief from my cheering section about having to leave for the airport at 6:00 AM. Too bad for them. This weekend is all about ME! ;) I have been freaking out about the temperatures at race time for the half. I have decided on pants for sure. I hope everyone has a safe trip down. See you all on Saturday I hope!

Susan

GO PANTHERS! BEAT THE GIANTS!

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Honeibee - Soo soryy you can't come. That stinks!!!!

Heather, that was really good thinking. I wish I had deciding where I'd be cheering for teh half so you could tell people at TE, as I won't be there. I'm gonna wear my LS WISH shirt, though.

Susan - You bet this weekend is about you! Do they know when they have to get up to watch you?!!! :teeth:

Tomorrow's gonna' be such a long day. :guilty: Everyone will be meeting at TE when I finally leave work.

Honeibee
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Honeibee - Soo soryy you can't come. That stinks!!!!

Heather, that was really good thinking. I wish I had deciding where I'd be cheering for teh half so you could tell people at TE, as I won't be there. I'm gonna wear my LS WISH shirt, though.

Susan - You bet this weekend is about you! Do they know when they have to get up to watch you?!!! :teeth:

Tomorrow's gonna' be such a long day. :guilty: Everyone will be meeting at TE when I finally leave work.

Hey Carrie, do you know what time everyone is meeting at TE?

I know, I'm very depressed today. :guilty: I'm trying to immerse myself in actual real work to not think about it, but it ain't working.

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
They're having a meet & greet at 4 and dinner's at 5.

solotraveler
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Greetings from Walt Disney World all!!!

Checked into the Yacht Club yesterday morning and everything has been great. I had a really nice run first thing this morning doing the Crescent Lake loop with all the other crazy marathon people up at that hour.

You know, it's weird..when I started my run and was looking at all the people going by in the opposite direction, I started to freak out a little bit. I was down right intimidated. But then it hit me: I'm part of this little club now!! I have "paid the price of admission," so to speak.

My roomate sent a nice gift basket to my room this afternoon with water, Powerbars, fruit, etc. So nice!!! I've already bought a bottle of champange to toast my finish with as well.

Anyhow, safe travels to everyone travelling today and tomorrow. I have to go get things ready and get to the Expo soon.

Can't wait to meet you all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Honeibee
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
solotraveler - Thanks for checking in! While it's not exactly like being there, hey,it's the next best thing! Thanks so much! That was really thoughful of your roommate. :goodvibes

Carrie - Thanks very much for the info! :teeth:

Tiger Lily 03
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Whoo Hooo! I'm leaving work to do some outside errands for work then it's home and wait til we leave tomorrow a.m.
:goodvibes

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Glad things are going well solo! You are part of them now! Very cool of your roommate!!

Lily :cool1: !!!!

Is it Friday yet???!!!!

gatorphipps
01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
It feels so lonely here in Charlotte, knowing that most of us are going or already at WDW. Will be flying out tomorrow after dropping DDs off @ school! Had a scare this morning...DD7.5 woke up with a 102.7 temp. My mind went racing to "am I a bad mom if....." Dh said all would be well and she would be better by the time we leave. She is doing great now. Send extra prayers and :wizard: my way. You all understand.

Solo - Cool roomate. My DS and DM did that for me the 1st year. YOU ARE A RUNNER!
I can't go. I'm mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier. DAMN TARNATIONS! I'm an IDIOT! WHY didn't I think of this two weeks ago??? I have too many things going on this weekend that APPARNTLY I can not reschedule because I get NO cooperation from ANYONE! (Where's the hissy fit smilie!?!?!?)
Honeibee - So sorry you won't be there. Just think, you will be next year. And you will be in our hearts this year!

If anyone is reading....I will not be @ TE tomorrow night. Don't want to talk about it. :sad1: But Bree will be and I hope to see you all at the 1/2 and full. That is the good thing about running them both! :love:

Christa

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I know that lonely feeling Christa!!! Sending payers for your dd. What awful timing! SHe will be fine, though!

Nice to know I'm not the only one not going to TE. ;) I'll Look for you from teh half sidelines and maybe we'll cross paths on the full!!

Honeibee
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
KeenerCam just called me! :banana: I was so excited I was practically in tears! :Pinkbounc Oh man, you could hear the excitement! :bounce: She wanted me to tell everyone she said hi :wave2: and she will try to get online from WDW.

Lily - :banana: You go girl! Have a safe trip!

Christa - First off, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for you and DD. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I will be checking the boards all day tomorrow and I'll have my cell phone on all Saturday morning (I'm tracking Cam.) So...it will almost be like I'm there....NOT. :rolleyes:

But, you're right...I WILL be there in spirit with you guys. I am going to call Cam when everyone (oops, not you Christa.... :grouphug: ) is at TE so I can say hi!

wtpclc
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm signing off. Got work to finish an dwill not be able to get online tomorrow from wrok.

See everyone soon!!!!!

Minnie
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Just some more :wizard: and :cheer2: for the Wish Team!!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gatorphipps
01-05-2006, 06:49 PM
My last post! Will not have time tomorrow morning. DM is OK with DD7.5 not feeling well. She may or may not go to school tomorrow. If not is OK.
Later all!
Honeibee - If you want to track our little group. Here are the #s and web site! I am Christa, DH is Matt, Bree is zoegirl, Ron is the man...he trained us all! The email paisted here is from Ron.
Here are the numbers in case anyone is completely bored next Sat 1/7 or Sun 1/8 - you can track us online.

Here is the url to set up the tracking (you can do this now):

http://www.doitsports.com/results/MSG-signup.tcl?sub_event_id=4447

They can send times to a pager, text messaging, or email. Be aware messaging rates will apply if you are charged for such.

Runner Donald # Mickey #

Bree Horton 18594 6241
Christa Phipps 17747 4351
Marc Deluca 17929 4992
Ricky Scott 16578 3175
Ron Horton 17730 4300
Sharon Scott 25436 9564
Matt Phipps 18703 6642

Evil Queen signing off until after the race....how sad is that!

Tiger Lily 03
01-05-2006, 07:29 PM
We leave tomorrow a.m. This too will be my last go 'round.

DH is now feeling sick. Told him to stay away from me til Sunday afternoon! Hope it works. We're all packed, I've got a teensy bit of last minute worring and sorting. Going to do the last minute check for cell #s via PM. Then it's hang out with family and rest til a.m.

Be back on the 15th!

MelRhoads
01-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey everyone, I'm here. What a cool place. I'm so disoriented. Can't wait until tomorrow night. Appearantly, lime green is a very popular color these days, b/c I keep seeing it. I was stalking everyone in the airport and on the busses who had a hint of green. I am sure I'm going to run into one of you guys!!!!!

Minnie
01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for posting!!! Have a great time in the World!!!!!!!!

DisneyGirl
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for posting!!! Have a great time in the World!!!!!!!!

I second this!!! Good luck and have a great time everyone!!

Honeibee
01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Am I the only one here today? :rolleyes:

Oh this is too depressing...:sad2:

DisneyGirl
01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Nope I'm here!

wtpclc
01-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I around. Don't leave work 'til 4 today. :( Not much time to post, though.

Glad you made it safely Mel! You're gonna' have a great time!

Honeibee
01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Are you guys going to TE tonight? I'm going to call in. :banana:

wtpclc
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I'll be heading to the airport and going through security when they meet. Tell them all I'll be cheering for tehm and good luck!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Wahooooooo!
:banana:

I must say that I lazed off this week with no running and felt completely untrained as I watched hoards of runners hit the roads and what little sidewalks there are this morning. But that's okay--I'm saving those carbs for the real thing. :goodvibes

I arrived yesterday at AsMusic and we switched the the CBR this morning and it is now official--I have stayed at every single value and moderate resort on property. Now where's my medal? :teeth:

I had wanted to do something for the team--so I telephone hubby to do something real quick. pirate: pirate: A little something--VERY LITTLE! But I'll be handing it out at Trails End tonight. Since the thread is a little empty of posters---I shared my secret! I shared my secret! :earboy2:

Excitement is in the air around property. Driving around yesterday--all the water stops have pallets upon pallets at them. Still shrink wrapped. Who knew they could stack so much water on one pallet. :confused3

Expo was awesome. Tylenol 8 did their photos again and this time put the pics in lanyards so you could wear them. I am pleased to report that I look Healthy in this years photo. Until I physically got sick on Saturday night of last year, I didn't notice how pasty white I was in last years pic. After I got sick it was like--oh DUH!!!! No wonder I looked like Frosty! This year I look healthy and happy in the pic.

They had a drawing table to make signs--and then staff took pics of people with their signs to show on the Jumbo Trons at the start and finish of the races. The girls were dressed from our tea time yesterday afternoon as Snow White & Princess Aurora. You would have that an Olympic Gold medalist had shown up at Expo with the number of looks and awwwwes we got. So if anyone saw Aurora and Snow White on the Jumbo tron--highly likely it was my munchkins.

Gotta go now. DD5 is at the pool with Daddy and we must go catch up. I have my WISH shirt on and am ready for Trails End!!! Also--must chug some more water!

Toodles all--let the training for 2007 begin!

Honeibee
01-06-2006, 12:28 PM
:banana: Thanks for checking in! That is so totally cool! :cheer2:

How exciting it must be there now! I am sooooo envious!

Drats! I thought you were going to tell us what your little suprise was. Since I'm not there I can keep the secret. :rolleyes1

:teeth:

donac
01-06-2006, 12:37 PM
It sounds like so much fun I wish I was there. Next year definitely.

Good luck to everyone.

DisneyGirl
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Lisa, I am sooooo jealous!!! I wish I could be there now!!! I'm so glad you aren't sick this year!!

Meanwhile, I'll go back to sitting at my desk in my cold energy-free office :-(

kaf7878
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm still here! I have a measly little 2 miler to do this afternoon and then we leave tomorrow at 8 am! I can't wait. Right now I'm trying to get packed up--ugh--hard work! Also getting a little sad that it will be over soon!!

Kelly

perfectmatch300
01-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Trails End was great - just like I knew it would be!!

Thanks Chimera and Lisa loves Pooh for organizing, thanks to everyone who made the ADR's, and to all the WISHers who showed up for the meet! It was great getting to meet and talk with so many of you. Only sorry I was not able to get to everyone. It's got me really looking forward to being a race participant next year!

With all the hard work and training I have seen on this board, I am sure those in this year's race will do really well. I hope all of this year's participants have a wonderful experience and manage to exceede their personal race goals. I'll be checking for race reports!

karebear1
01-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Just posting here so I can see how everyone did on their race. Is this the place I should be??

lizdotcom99
01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
In case you haven't read on the other thread...so far TammyNC, Lily and her son, Cam and Howard have new Donald Medals to proudly display! Can't wait to hear of more reports. I am off to get a quick four miler in for the race I am doing in April with Lily and OhMom! I can't wait. It will be such fun!!

DisneyGirl
01-07-2006, 10:29 AM
In case you haven't read on the other thread...so far TammyNC, Lily and her son, Cam and Howard have new Donald Medals to proudly display! Can't wait to hear of more reports. I am off to get a quick four miler in for the race I am doing in April with Lily and OhMom! I can't wait. It will be such fun!!

That's awesome to hear!! I was thinking about everyone during aerobics this morning!! By my clock, everyone who is running the 1/2 should be at the finish line by now!! :cool1: :banana: :worship: