PDA

View Full Version : Religion

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm just looking for diffrent teen's views on the subject of religion. I also want to take the time to say that I don't want this to turn into a fight.

I guess you could say I'm borderline Methodist/Satanist (a satanist really isn't all that bad actually...i'll explain later). If anybody has read "To Kill A Mockingbird", then I share Mrs. Maudie's view about it. I think that it should be something that brings people together in a time of despare. When the only thing you really have is each other. I think that it should bring people hope. I don't think that it should be something that people try to shove down each other's throats. Personally I am against trying to convert people to your religion. I think that you should respect other people's beliefs, instead of trying to tell them why they are wrong, and you are right. (people do that too much)

And I'd like to take the time to explain just what a satanist is. A satanist is someone who doesn't follow a certain set of beliefs. For example, I know a lot of people who believe everything that is in the bible, simply because it's the bible. Personally I think certain things in there are the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't really believe in the whole Adam and Eve thing, and I think Nhoa's Ark is one of the dumbest stories on the planet. Don't get me wrong I think something like that happened, but on a much smaller scale. Like it was only local flooding, and not the whole planet. So basically a satanist believes in what they want to.

TheBellhop
12-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Hmmm. I thought satanism was called that...because you worship...satan? Usually if you don't believe in any kind of religion you would be called an (i want to say agnostic?)

But anyways, I guess you could say I'm somewhat Roman Catholic. There are sooo many things that have to do with the bible and the church in which they contradict each other..and then there are the dead sea scrolls. Just alot of stuff that doesn't make a bunch of sense.

JulielovesDisney
12-31-2005, 07:40 PM
I go to church every now and then (my family and I would go more often, but its hard to work it around my moms work schedule.), and I have my beliefs, but I also think it's wrong to, like you said, to try and convert people to your religion. I have nothing against the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I think it's wrong for them to go around and try to convert you. But I think it's part of thier beliefs for something... I dunno. But yeah, everyone is different, so everyone has different beliefs.

I do believe in the bible for the most part. I haven't read the thing front to back, so I don't know about any of the smaller stories, but Adam and Eve and Noah's Ark, I believe those things happened.

Satanism (?) sounds cool. I've never heard of that before. I couldn't definitely see how you believe those bible stories happened but on a smaller scale. They do seem pretty large...but it's what I believe.

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 07:46 PM
I have nothing against the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I think it's wrong for them to go around and try to convert you. .
I mess with them. I used to live in an area where we would get 3-4 per day, and the first one I would act like a die-hard christian, then I would act jewis, then hindu, then islam. Ohhhh the fun I had.

MyHappyEnding_
12-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Atheist....I need proof for everything. And there is none. So I don't believe.

Princess Ash
12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Atheist....I need proof for everything. And there is none. So I don't believe.

:guilty: Sorry you feel that way. But it's ok...to each his own.

God and I are like this :hug:
I am Roman Catholic...I don't believe everything that the church teaches...and I form my own opinions about different things. I believe in what I think is good, right, and what God would want. Because the Bible was divinely inspired...but written by fallible humans. I could go on and on and on, but this is my short overview.

I <3 God, hehehehehehehehehe

MyHappyEnding_
12-31-2005, 07:53 PM

I am Roman Catholic...I don't believe everything that the church teaches...and I form my own opinions about different things. I believe in what I think is good, right, and what God would want. Because the Bible was divinely inspired...but written by fallible humans. I could go on and on and on, but this is my short overview.

I grew up as a Roman Catholic. I even just had my Confirmation in November. I only did it so that my grandparents didn't hate me. =\

Daisymae26
12-31-2005, 07:54 PM
I am Roman Catholic, and like Ash said, some things I don't agree with about the Church, but I still suppport the Church anyway. :)

Princess Ash
12-31-2005, 07:55 PM
I grew up as a Roman Catholic. I even just had my Confirmation in November. I only did it so that my grandparents didn't hate me. =\

Aw...I'm sorry to hear that. Just a question (I swear not trying to convert u!!! :rotfl: ) why do you need proof?

The Dark Dancer
12-31-2005, 07:56 PM
I do believe in God and Jesus, and that they watch over us. :sunny:

I do believe in Adam and Eve,....But I also believe in Evolution. We are Methodist and we attend church every once and awhile.

I do believe that there is a heaven, but I believe in reincarnation.

I believe everyone has the right to freedom of religon...everyone's entitled to be their own person. (after all it is in the Constitution's Bill of Rights)

AllyGirlie
12-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Hmm.. I agree with you on how you shouldn't "shove religion down each other's throats", and you shouldn't judge people based on their religion.

I'm Lutheran (a branch of Protestant). Now if you know they history of the religion, it caused a huge controversy back in the day because it strayed far from the strict Catholic/Christian beliefs. The Lutheran religion is very laid back. You can go to Sunday mass in jeans and a t-shirt (and I have). People don't believe me when I tell them about my confirmation class. I went to my confirmation class once a week and it consisted of doing worksheets, going on trips - I mean "retreats", and playing hide-and-seek in the church. That was it, plus every 2 weeks or so we'd have a class ("youth night") where we would play games and hang out the entire time. I liked it. I haven't really been back to my church since I was confirmed (with the exception of a funeral and my brother's confirmation in October) and still every time I see Pastor Bill or Pastor Julie they treat me like they saw me 3 days ago.

TheBellhop
12-31-2005, 07:57 PM
There is a great book out there, "People Who Don't Know They're Dead". It's very good and gives quite alot of insight into heaven, God, and everything else.

MyHappyEnding_
12-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Aw...I'm sorry to hear that. Just a question (I swear not trying to convert u!!! :rotfl: ) why do you need proof?

Just the way I am I guess. I really don't have a reason for needing the proof. I just do xD

Princess Ash
12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
There is a great book out there, "People Who Don't Know They're Dead". It's very good and gives quite alot of insight into heaven, God, and everything else.

Hahaha, that sounds reaaalllly creepy...sorry! I might be taking the title too literally tho!

MyHappyEnding_
12-31-2005, 08:00 PM
And I believe in reincarnation too. But I don't think there has to be god for that to be possible.

TheBellhop
12-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Hahaha, that sounds reaaalllly creepy...sorry! I might be taking the title too literally tho!

No actually it's not that bad. It gives an interesting thesis on ghost possessions and such. I promise you it's not as bad as it sounds :D

Princess Ash
12-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Just the way I am I guess. I really don't have a reason for needing the proof. I just do xD

Now now now, isn't that contradictory? I need proof for you to have no proof! Jk jk jk jk, (please don't find me offensive, I'm just teasing!)

MyHappyEnding_
12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Now now now, isn't that contradictory? I need proof for you to have no proof! Jk jk jk jk, (please don't find me offensive, I'm just teasing!)

I know you're kidding. Lol.

We all have our opinions.

goofyandplutoluver
12-31-2005, 08:38 PM
I am Catholic

I believe in God and heaven and Jesus.......

Sparx
12-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Hmmm. I thought satanism was called that...because you worship...satan? Usually if you don't believe in any kind of religion you would be called an (i want to say agnostic?)

Agnostic is where you think that there might be a higher power (god for instance) but you could stand a little more proof than the bible and a church.

Atheism is where you believe in no higher, more intelligent power.

I am an atheist. I don't really need proof for everything. Thats not why I am an atheist. I am an atheist because I don't (I don't want to say like, but I can't think of a better word) like any religion that I have come across. I know the basic points in alot of major religions.

I live in the bible belt, so I have had people attempt to beat religion into me. I honestly don't care if you believe in something or not. But don't try and make me. I don't believe in converting people to your religion.

Someday I might find a religion that suits me. I haven't yet, but I'm not going to stop looking for one. Maybe I'll never find one, I am perfectly happy just the same.
:)

CheezDoodle
12-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I have my own set of beliefs. I don't believe in heaven, but I don't believe that when you die it's complete nothingness. I believe that you start a life as another animal. I also don't believe in Jesus, or any particular "God", but I do believe in a higher lifeform. Also, I believe that no matter what, you should respect other people's beliefs, even if they don't match up with your own.

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I do believe in God and Jesus, and that they watch over us. :sunny:

I do believe in Adam and Eve,....But I also believe in Evolution. We are Methodist and we attend church every once and awhile.

I do believe that there is a heaven, but I believe in reincarnation.

I believe everyone has the right to freedom of religon...everyone's entitled to be their own person. (after all it is in the Constitution's Bill of Rights)
I'm sorry but you contradicted yourself twice in that post. Just to let you know.

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 09:27 PM
Agnostic is where you think that there might be a higher power (god for instance) but you could stand a little more proof than the bible and a church.

Atheism is where you believe in no higher, more intelligent power.

I am an atheist. I don't really need proof for everything. Thats not why I am an atheist. I am an atheist because I don't (I don't want to say like, but I can't think of a better word) like any religion that I have come across. I know the basic points in alot of major religions.

I live in the bible belt, so I have had people attempt to beat religion into me. I honestly don't care if you believe in something or not. But don't try and make me. I don't believe in converting people to your religion.

Someday I might find a religion that suits me. I haven't yet, but I'm not going to stop looking for one. Maybe I'll never find one, I am perfectly happy just the same.
:)
We should make our own. Call it "Munky Sparx".

Sparx
12-31-2005, 09:29 PM
:rotfl: not a bad idea. ;)

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 09:31 PM
:rotfl: not a bad idea. ;)
Awsome. *starts writing a "bible"*

The Dark Dancer
12-31-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry but you contradicted yourself twice in that post. Just to let you know.

Okay, sorry...I wasn't sure how to make myself clear. I do believe in higher powers (God & Jesus). I'm kind of skeptical about the Adam and Eve thing, though. Evolution seems to make more sense and be more believable.

I believe that there is a heaven where our souls go after death, but when our time comes, we're brought back by reincarnation.

I have no idea if that makes any sense. :confused3

What I'm basically trying to say is that, evolution is more believable than the Adam and Eve story, but I don't choose to take sides. I do believe in heaven and that there is where we go after death but, I think that reincarnation sounds like a logical next step past heaven.

Does that make any sense either? Oh well, I give up. :confused3 :badpc:

MuNkY
12-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Okay, sorry...I wasn't sure how to make myself clear. I do believe in higher powers (God & Jesus). I'm kind of skeptical about the Adam and Eve thing, though. Evolution seems to make more sense and be more believable.

I believe that there is a heaven where our souls go after death, but when our time comes, we're brought back by reincarnation.

I have no idea if that makes any sense. :confused3

What I'm basically trying to say is that, evolution is more believable than the Adam and Eve story, but I don't choose to take sides. I do believe in heaven and that there is where we go after death but, I think that reincarnation sounds like a logical next step past heaven.

Does that make any sense either? Oh well, I give up. :confused3 :badpc:
Lol. That makes more sense than what you first posted. Thanks for clearing it up.

The Dark Dancer
12-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Lol. That makes more sense than what you first posted. Thanks for clearing it up.

Okay, I'm glad it made more sense. I had myself confused there for a minute, lol :)

catgurlars
01-01-2006, 12:50 AM
i am an orthodox jewish person. we only worship hashem (g-d). we believe that he is the 1 and only g-d of the universe.we learn from the torah and the rest of it which is called the "tanach"(=torah, navi'im, and kituvim) i go to shul (a house to pray)every saturday (for shobbas). we believe that everything happens for a reason whether u like it or not and it is for your own good. we believe in a lot of "werid" things (well, u might think it is weird) and it takes many years to actually understand. i have been going to a jewish school all of my life so i basically understand a lot. we dont beleive in a jesus cuz we dont worship humans (which is considered avodah zarazh)
-cat
ps. if u dont understand some words, please look it up ;)

jazstar87
01-01-2006, 07:46 AM
well i guess i am roman catholic....well i would rather not be...
I really don't belive the bible, I think it was created to make people believe that christianity(sp?) was real. To me the bible is a fancy story. i think it was a story about a man who help people but was rewritten so many times that the old story died away. another thing i don't belive is that how the world was created and how long the world has been here. There is scientific proof that the world was here alot longer than the bible said it was, and that man was was the first one of the things on the earth. i always wonder what those huge skeleton thing that was dug up was? it really does not make sense to me.
Another thing, I don't like how we as a society portray jesus as a white person. he was supposable born in the mid-east. So wouldn't he be of a dark color?(just a thought)
i think that today christianity has corroded that no one know the real story. I think most people today goes back to faith because tehy just want to believe in something higher glorly to bring them hope and happiness. Which is fine by me but right now i believe in disney magic more than my own faith.

*EWooWDW*
01-01-2006, 11:37 AM

I feel the same way. I got to Catholic school and they teach us stuff that I believe but then again I argue some points. I love being in a school that I can say what I believe and not be expelled for it. GO Bishop McDevitt CRUSADERS!

ElementGirl
01-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Im a Baptist.:)I believe in god and jesus and what the bible says.

DCHSswimmer10
01-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Im a Baptist.:)I believe in god and jesus and what the bible says.
Same here. :sunny:

TheBellhop
01-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I feel the same way. I got to Catholic school and they teach us stuff that I believe but then again I argue some points. I love being in a school that I can say what I believe and not be expelled for it. GO Bishop McDevitt CRUSADERS!

HOLY CRAP!!! You go to Bishop McDevitt? Around Harrisburg?

Princess Ash
01-01-2006, 01:38 PM

We're all doomed, hahahahahahahahaha :rotfl: jk

*EWooWDW*
01-01-2006, 01:41 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! You go to Bishop McDevitt? Around Harrisburg?
OMG yeah!

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I guess you can figure out my religion can't you.

I am a strong Methodist, wear a cross every day of the year. I know I am not perfect, far from it. I try very hard though. I had an interesting sunday school today that shed so much light on religion. The true definition for religion is man's attempt to reach god. In christianity though, it is god's attempt to reach us, through the death of his son. Jesus was far from religious. He was against the religious leaders for what they do trying to steal money from the people. I know some parts of Christianity are no better today. I know the church did some monstrosties of its own, ala Crusades, supressing scientific knowledge to keep its believers. I don't care. They are human, controlled by human emotions. There are things that without religion, we would not be here. The U.S. was founded on religious freedom, mostly Protestants trying to escape the Catholic Church. And to those of you who need proof, there is a thing called faith, use it. There was a book called the Case for Christ by lee Strobel. There was historic evidence about what Jesus did the miracles, it left no doubt.

I am sorry if I was shoving this down your throat, but this is the end of my rant.

TheBellhop
01-01-2006, 01:46 PM
OMG yeah!

Haha, I go to Trinity, if you know where that is.

But to stay on topic:

Has anybody read the DaVinci Code?

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
yeah good book, well written, I actually believed some of the stuff he said by that (stuff is from historical references) yeah right. I have seen like 5 specials on history and discovery disproving every fact that he made.

TheBellhop
01-01-2006, 01:55 PM
yeah good book, well written, I actually believed some of the stuff he said by that (stuff is from historical references) yeah right. I have seen like 5 specials on history and discovery disproving every fact that he made.

Quite alot of it isn't factual. It's a fiction book.

However, the suggestion of Mary Magdalene as being Jesus' wife could be true. Have you heard of the Gospel of Mary Magdalene? The Dead Sea Scrolls? I suggest you read them, as it gives alot of insight.

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I doubt the thing about mary being his wife, but it would not surprise me at all if the Catholic Church were to take out gospels to hide something. No offense Catholic.

Princess Ash
01-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I doubt the thing about mary being his wife, but it would not surprise me at all if the Catholic Church were to take out gospels to hide something. No offense Catholic.

Easy easy now. I get worried about teens discussing religion too deeply because some people get deeply offended. Please just be nice to everyone...

TheBellhop
01-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Well if you actually read them maybe you would understand why I think that Jesus was...not alone. :)

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 02:36 PM
sorry I was not trying to be rude in any way, but it seems to me throughout history, if someone is in power, they will try to hide evidence that will take that power away from them. I think it was more of a general term. I am very sorry.

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 02:36 PM
oh and i meant to say Catholic(s) sorry.

catgurlars
01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
wat i learned is that, the torah (or bible) has many secrets. the world has been here 5766 yrs. and the big bang might have happened but g-d controls it all. no matter what. u cant change that. there is proof there is a g-d. even scientists have said so (well, some of them like my father.) there is even a special "jean" that some "higher" or holier ppl have. (only cohanim -priests- have it) and if u go to israel, all of the famous sites that are there are also told in the torah (bible) there were prophets who said that us jews will be exilied from the land but eventually, the "mashiach" (messiah) will come and there will be peace in the whole world. i can go on and on and on and on ..... but it will take too long. there is a reason for eveything to be on this earth. we might not know why. but g-d put it there. evolution never happened. we dont come from monkeys!!!! (baruch hashem!! :) );u dont have to beleive in a g-d if u dont want to. its your choice. choose it wisely
-cat

ElementGirl
01-01-2006, 02:51 PM
wat i learned is that, the torah (or bible) has many secrets. the world has been here 5766 yrs. and the big bang might have happened but g-d controls it all. no matter what. u cant change that. there is proof there is a g-d. even scientists have said so (well, some of them like my father.) there is even a special "jean" that some "higher" or holier ppl have. (only cohanim -priests- have it) and if u go to israel, all of the famous sites that are there are also told in the torah (bible) there were prophets who said that us jews will be exilied from the land but eventually, the "mashiach" (messiah) will come and there will be peace in the whole world. i can go on and on and on and on ..... but it will take too long. there is a reason for eveything to be on this earth. we might not know why. but g-d put it there. evolution never happened. we dont come from monkeys!!!! (baruch hashem!! :) );u dont have to beleive in a g-d if u dont want to. its your choice. choose it wisely
-cat
Do you believe there is Bible code? I do the Bible already has predidctied many things that have happened. :wave2:

catgurlars
01-01-2006, 03:22 PM
i dont. it said that al gore was supposed to be prez. did it ever happen? no. and all of the predictions that they found was after it all happened.

ElementGirl
01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
They found some thing that said in 2012 a comet will crash into earth and that we will blow it up and it will cumble into pieces.

catgurlars
01-01-2006, 03:25 PM
thats what i heard too but i dont beleive it

Brooknwdw
01-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi, I am not a teen, but I happened on this thread because of its title.
I will not get into a religious back/forth discussion, in fact this will probably be my only post about it. But I just wanted to say a few things about Jehovah's Witnesses to anyone who'd care to know why they go from door to door.

The Witnesses aren't neccesarily looking for "converts" when they come to your door.

They are fullfilling what they believe to be a Christain obligation, an obligation that comes from the bible itself.

When Jesus was on earth, he commanded his followers, or disciples, to "go therefore and preach to all people all over the earth, telling them about the Kingdom, until the conclusion of this system of things". It gives this direct command in your bible in Matthew 28:19,20..a similar thought is in Matthew 24:14. THe wording may be a little different, but the thought is the same.

Jesus even sent those disciples out "two by two"..the Witnesses simply try to mirror this method of "preaching" in obedience to this Scriptural text.

This is why they go door to door telling of the things that will happen in the future as foretold in the bible. The bible has been extremely accurate in foretelling events so far..so Witnesses truly believe everything it foretells and would like to "warn" others & tell of the GOOD news the bible offers, not just the bad.

Some have called Witnesses a "cult" etc and said they are not christian..this is not true. They believe in God, his Son Jesus, Heaven, and the Holy Spirit.

To the poster who said he likes "messing" with them..that is admittedly funny..and unless you were speaking with a child with little knowledge I bet you got a run for your money. Witnesses carry a book with them that shows exactly how to understand each of these Religions you spoke of if encountered at a door.

But please know that the Witnesses as a whole are very respectful, if they come to your door & you are not interested in what they have to say..just say so firmly & that will be it.
No, they won't stop coming to your door unless you demand that they not ever return, again because this is what they believe to be their scriptural obligation. But if a kind minute of your time is too much to ask, then you could just not answer the door.
Also, it doesn't hurt to ask questions (of any religion) to understand their beliefs better. I promise you'll get an answer. And not one out of thin air if your speaking with a Witness but one that comes from the bible itself.

So I hope this didn't sound preachy..and if you don't even believe in God or that the bible was written under God's direction, then obviously just disregard this post.

Lastly, I want to commend some of you posters, especially the young people. It is good that you are Religious or at least concerned with Religion.

The bible says "Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need" ..... :wave2:

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 04:46 PM
the world has been here 5766 yrs
It's been around a lot longer than that.

there is proof there is a g-d.
What, and where is it then?

evolution never happened
There is more proof of evolution than god.

i dont. it said that al gore was supposed to be prez
He can always run again. Besides I kinda think the elections were rigged.

Sorry about flaming you. I'm just very sceptical.
They found some thing that said in 2012 a comet will crash into earth and that we will blow it up and it will cumble into pieces.

That, is going to be one massive comet. I mean, bigger than mars for it to blow up the earth. Also the Myan calendar says the earth is supposed to end in 2012, supposedly. That's why I can't wait until January 1st 2013, so I can laugh at everyone who believes that.

I don't know. An asteroid was supposed to whipe out human life in 1999, 9-9-99 was supposed to be the end of the world. Y2K was supposed to be the end of the world. I'll believe that the world is going to end when it comes around and actually happens.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I guess you can figure out my religion can't you.

I am a strong Methodist, wear a cross every day of the year. I know I am not perfect, far from it. I try very hard though. I had an interesting sunday school today that shed so much light on religion. The true definition for religion is man's attempt to reach god. In christianity though, it is god's attempt to reach us, through the death of his son. Jesus was far from religious. He was against the religious leaders for what they do trying to steal money from the people. I know some parts of Christianity are no better today. I know the church did some monstrosties of its own, ala Crusades, supressing scientific knowledge to keep its believers. I don't care. They are human, controlled by human emotions. There are things that without religion, we would not be here. The U.S. was founded on religious freedom, mostly Protestants trying to escape the Catholic Church. And to those of you who need proof, there is a thing called faith, use it. There was a book called the Case for Christ by lee Strobel. There was historic evidence about what Jesus did the miracles, it left no doubt.

I am sorry if I was shoving this down your throat, but this is the end of my rant.
I just don't think it should be something that people try to use as justification to harm other people. Which is what a lot of people have turned it into.

I also don't think that in this country that you should use religion in government and the judicial system. I am a strong believer in the separation of church and state. I don't agree with voting for someone because they are a certain religion. This country is a melting pot of cultures.

Also, have you ever read the DeVinchi (sp) Code? I havn't, but I've seen a lot of shows on it. It sounds interesting.

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes I have and it is a good book. And i don't believe religion should be used that way either.

Besides, there has never been PROOF of there NOT being a God. I believe that evolution and God can coexist, and that the 7 days were more on the scale of billions of years.

You seriously cannot believe that we don't have a purpose for being, that we existed through just a bunch of coincedences. A scientist did the work, if we were just a little bit farther or closer from the sun, we would not exist. Same with the oxygen levels, and so many other variables. There HAS to be some intelligent design going on here.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes I have and it is a good book. And i don't believe religion should be used that way either.

Besides, there has never been PROOF of there NOT being a God. I believe that evolution and God can coexist, and that the 7 days were more on the scale of billions of years.

You seriously cannot believe that we don't have a purpose for being, that we existed through just a bunch of coincedences. A scientist did the work, if we were just a little bit farther or closer from the sun, we would not exist. Same with the oxygen levels, and so many other variables. There HAS to be some intelligent design going on here.
I think that god created that little speck of matter that later blew up. (the big bang). Sure I think that the creation of earth was helped along a little bit, but for the most part, I think it was coincedences.

Also we could be as far back as Mars and be suitable enough for life. But the conditions wouldn't be as perfect as they are here.

I also think that we evolved from apes. I don't buy the whole adam and eve story, because if we stemmed from only two, everyone on earth would look so much alike it would be retarted.

It would also be wierd. That would mean that my mom and dad were related before they got married. Eeeeeeh.

2HOT2touch
01-01-2006, 05:17 PM
basically I believe there is a God. but i also strongly believe in evolution. But i think that we are put on this earth to do something and once wee have done it, we no longer have a purpuse and then we die.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
basically I believe there is a God. but i also strongly believe in evolution. But i think that we are put on this earth to do something and once wee have done it, we no longer have a purpuse and then we die.
So that means that I could theroretically live forever if I never accomplesh my purpouse.

SWEET.

2HOT2touch
01-01-2006, 05:25 PM
So that means that I could theroretically live forever if I never accomplesh my purpouse.

SWEET.
no. because if you die before you finish what you were put here to do then you come back as someone else untill you finish.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 05:27 PM
no. because if you die before you finish what you were put here to do then you come back as someone else untill you finish.
Ok now I'm confused. But nevermind. I was kidding to begin with.

2HOT2touch
01-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Ok now I'm confused. But nevermind. I was kidding to begin with.
yea. but i mean i believe that you are put here for a reason. and if you end up dieing for some reason before you accomplish whatever you were put on earth to do, then you "come back" as another person(or thing) untill you finally accomplish it. I think thats what the Buddists believe in...

The Dark Dancer
01-01-2006, 05:32 PM
no. because if you die before you finish what you were put here to do then you come back as someone else until you finish.

Like reincarnation?

2HOT2touch
01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Like reincarnation?
yea, i think thats what its called

The Dark Dancer
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
yea, i think that's what its called

Okay, just clarifying! ;) :)

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 05:52 PM
That would stink if you never accomplished your goal. lol.
I guess i am sort of dismayed at this thread, no offense, you are all entitled to your own beliefs, and i will respect that, but nonetheless.

sarbruis
01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
To the OP (and this was probably said somewhere, but I haven't read the thread): if you don't believe in anything, then you are an agnostic, not a satanist. Please don't go telling people you're a satanist.

sarbruis
01-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Do you believe there is Bible code? I do the Bible already has predidctied many things that have happened. :wave2:

Oh man! My eight grade science teacher was hardcore into the Torah Codes (because they were found in the Hebrew), and apparantly was one of its chief proponents and researchers. He showed us all kinds of these things (like about Hitler and WW2 and whatnot), and how the severity of them was related to the words' proximity to each other. He was a lunatic, really, and was pretty sure he knew the location of the Arc of the Covenant (somewhere at the bottom of some lake in Egpyt). He wanted to get funding and all this and stage an expedition. I guess he never got to do it, because I'm sure the discovery of the Arc of the Covenant would have been on CNN. My goodness, that man was HILARIOUS. It was a pretty fun class, actually (mostly because the teacher was funny).

nightmareb4xmas
01-01-2006, 06:07 PM
i believe in Jesus! Praise the Lord. Jesus loves us all.
J-E-S-U-S! JESUS!

Yeah im Roman Catholic. I have gone to Catholic/private school all my life. I am an evolutionsit though. I mean, to me, all the evidence of Evolution is right in front of people, and it's impossible not to see that. (Although dont get me wrong, im not putting down anyone else's beliefs :) )

As far as reincarnation goes, im not too sure about it. I do think theres life after death.

Im not sure if this was brought up since I havent read through this thread, but homosexuallity is also portrayed as a sin in the Bible. Now it may be, im not going to judge this issue, but i dont find anything wrong with that.
just saying =P

but no guys, im straight lol

sarbruis
01-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure why most Christians think that evolution is bollox; there is very clear evidence that evolution happens, and it certainly does not go against Christianity in any sense. Evolution does not mean Big Bang. Evoluton means that people/animals evolve, that they adapt to their environments, and that the strongest survive. Why is this a bad theory?

Now, Creationism vs. Big Bang is a very different story. I see no reason to believe that there is inifinite energy amidst nothing (I'm pretty sure this has to do with Quantum Mechanics--which no one understands anyway), and then something "sparked" and BAM, 6 billion years of stuff begins. To me, the Beginning is at the crux of human existence, and it's essential to have a good full view of how this happened. None of us can know for sure, but when one uses logic, Big Bang and scientific theories just make no sense.

I would like to know how EXISTENCE itself came out of nothing. You know, why matter is the way it is, why it even HAS properties, why there are emotions, why we have thoughts, why we have senses (how could subatomic particles somehow (even after billions of years) morph into sight and sound?). These are not just givens, they have to be created. The framework for life, that life, that matter itself exists, simply isn't happenstance, and happenstance itself has to come from somewhere. Is this making sense? Even the notions of EXPLOSION and NEWNESS have to come from somewhere. You cannot assume these things existed. Heck, even the notion of NOTHINGNESS is not a given; it's been created. How, out of nothingness (and even nothingness has to come from somewhere), is a framework for matter and existence created? Pray, tell me.

I'm sure my stance on the matter is clear. Of course, I totally don't understand God, but I don't expect to.

Princess Ash
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I see it as...God put Evolution into motion...i mean...you know how we sometimes have those sudden evolution changes when scientists are like...we wonder why the lifeforms decided to change...well to me, that's where God stepped in and said..."Mmm, I think that, in my master plan, it's time for it to change now"

sarbruis
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Note: I'm not saying that we evolved from algae or tadpoles; I think we were created in full human form. I'm just saying that things do in fact evolve, and that that is not a bad thing.

TheBellhop
01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I just don't think it should be something that people try to use as justification to harm other people. Which is what a lot of people have turned it into.

I also don't think that in this country that you should use religion in government and the judicial system. I am a strong believer in the separation of church and state. I don't agree with voting for someone because they are a certain religion. This country is a melting pot of cultures.

Also, have you ever read the DeVinchi (sp) Code? I havn't, but I've seen a lot of shows on it. It sounds interesting.

If you would read your own thread, I already asked that question.. it's DaVinci by the way.

ETA: The Adam and Eve story, I highly doubt. When the sons of Abraham were sent into exile, they probably just created a story so that they had something to beleive in.

Sparx
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I also think that we evolved from apes. I don't buy the whole adam and eve story, because if we stemmed from only two, everyone on earth would look so much alike it would be retarted.

It would also be wierd. That would mean that my mom and dad were related before they got married. Eeeeeeh.
There is a theory that different races of people evovled from tribes of an early form of human (I don't know which form, but still) And the tribes split and part of them stayed in africa, then the rest went north.
They then split again in the middle east. Part of them stayed, and the rest went through russia and around into north america, then into south america.
They all adapted to the climate and the land of where they were, which evolved into the races of humans that we have today.

I also don't buy the adam and eve story.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
If you would read your own thread, I already asked that question.. it's DaVinci by the way.

ETA: The Adam and Eve story, I highly doubt. When the sons of Abraham were sent into exile, they probably just created a story so that they had something to beleive in.
Well soooooooooooooooooorry.

No harm in asking the same thing twice. :rolleyes:

catgurlars
01-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by TheBellhop

umm.... hello? i am jewish!!
it certainly makes sence how the jewish ppl got here in america!! if u go to israel, if u go to the kotel, and pray there, your prayers will be answered b/c it was were the bait hamikdash was. but unfortunatley, we sinned but hashem punished us through exile b/c exile atones for sins. and it is better to be punished in this world then in the next world b/c in this world, we have a very short life time but after death, the soul lives on forever.
now back to the point, we were sent out of eretz yisroel into galus and thats how we got to europe and thats how that natzis (yimach shimam) and some jews escaped and came to america or went back to israel.

MuNkY
01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
umm.... hello? i am jewish!!
it certainly makes sence how the jewish ppl got here in america!! if u go to israel, if u go to the kotel, and pray there, your prayers will be answered b/c it was were the bait hamikdash was. but unfortunatley, we sinned but hashem punished us through exile b/c exile atones for sins. and it is better to be punished in this world then in the next world b/c in this world, we have a very short life time but after death, the soul lives on forever.
now back to the point, we were sent out of eretz yisroel into galus and thats how we got to europe and thats how that natzis (yimach shimam) and some jews escaped and came to america or went back to israel.
Can you clarify? Or explain? I have no idea what you just said, and my best friend is jewish. :confused3

WDWHunk
01-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I find it interesting that so many young people are such devout christians/catholics etc. since its only because thats all they know. They've gone to church since birth and don't know any different.

I'm not anything really. I'm not a satanist nor an athiest. I believe god is a state of mind, and people use it to place blame on why things happen. "Well god wouldn't have done it without a reason". So god kills innocent women and children and creates wars and rapists? If ya'll say so.

The Dark Dancer
01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I find it interesting that so many young people are such devout Christians/catholics etc. since its only because that's all they know. They've gone to church since birth and don't know any different.

I'm not anything really. I'm not a satanist nor an atheist. I believe god is a state of mind, and people use it to place blame on why things happen. "Well god wouldn't have done it without a reason". So god kills innocent women and children and creates wars and rapists? If y'all say so.

you have some really good points, but I still believe that G_d plays a major role in people's lives :)

goofyandplutoluver
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I dont want to sound stupid but this thread is putting me down :(

Saxsoon
01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
it may have started out like that, but i CHOOSE to go to youth and sunday school and church. I want to go to believe. No offense to any other religion, but after studying them all in school, I have no reason to switch. I am sure you of other religions feel the same way about yours.

Princess Ash
01-02-2006, 12:35 AM
I find it interesting that so many young people are such devout christians/catholics etc. since its only because thats all they know. They've gone to church since birth and don't know any different.

I'm not anything really. I'm not a satanist nor an athiest. I believe god is a state of mind, and people use it to place blame on why things happen. "Well god wouldn't have done it without a reason". So god kills innocent women and children and creates wars and rapists? If ya'll say so.

No, that is not all I know. I have a religion class and I have learned about MANY other religions. I personally do not agree with them and think about my religion and take it very seriously. I don't think that other religions are bad or discriminate against them, I just believe differently.
And no, God gave people FREE WILL to act as they choose. He creates all people essentially good, but today's society and influences and personal choices are what go wrong. That is my opinion.

catgurlars
01-02-2006, 12:36 AM
it may have started out like that, but i CHOOSE to go to youth and sunday school and church. I want to go to believe. No offense to any other religion, but after studying them all in school, I have no reason to switch. I am sure you of other religions feel the same way about yours.

i 100% agree with u. i go to a jewish school and i want to stick with my religion too. i 100% understand why u want to stay in your religion. i also want to "beleive" like u.

sarbruis
01-02-2006, 12:50 AM
I must agree that many people are results of their social upbringing (of all sorts, not just Christians), and it really is sad that lots of people don't have a strong foundation in whatever they believe. People are told things and never try to find out why. Your worldview determines your future moreso than anything else; it's best if you understand why you've got the one you've got (and can defend it against anything, thus believing it true).

As for why wars and rape and killings happen, that's a result of Free Choice, like someone previously said. God didn't create rape and murder, but he did create people and people created rape and murder (because people are stupid).

And on an Alex-related note: "If you have any yarbles, you eunuch-jelly, thou!"
(I've only read the book, not seen the movie, but it's still an awesome line.)

ellindea
01-02-2006, 03:49 AM
i am an orthodox jewish person. we only worship hashem (g-d). we believe that he is the 1 and only g-d of the universe. i go to shul every saturday (for shobbas). we believe that everything happens for a reason whether u like it or not and it is for your own good. we believe in a lot of "werid" things (well, u might think it is weird) and it takes many years to actually understand. i have been going to a jewish school all of my life so i basically understand a lot.
-cat
ps. i see none of u are jewish LOL
cool! I really have a respect for Jewish people. Your devotion and faith is truly admirable.

So...I've been debating on whether or not to post my beliefs/opinions. Religion is such a controversial topic, and I really dislike arguments. But I am very happy w/ my religion and proud to belong to it. So, I will let you know a little about it and my/its beliefs.
In general, I believe religion to be a great and edifying thing in life when in its true and pure form. It gives hope and faith and encouragement. It builds communities of love and support. It gives us purpose.
As you can probably already tell, I am a very religious person :) . I attend Church w/ my family every Sunday, specifically I go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We are known as Latter-Day Saints (LDS), more commonly - Mormon (given this name b/c we believe The Book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ). I believe in everything my religion teaches. Its truths and doctrines have brought me great happiness. If you are really interested in what the Church teaches, www.mormon.org is a great site. It gives a good basic outline of our beliefs that I will post here.
· “God is our Heavenly Father. He loves us and wants us to return to Him.
· Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is our Savior. He redeems us from death by providing the Resurrection. He saves us from sin as we repent.
· Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can return to live with God if we keep His commandments.
· The Holy Ghost helps us to recognize truth.
· The first principles and ordinances of the gospel are faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
· The Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth.
· The priesthood authority of God exists in His Church today, just as it did in the original Church.
· The Bible and the Book of Mormon are the word of God.
· God reveals His will to prophets today, just as He did anciently.
· Our life has a sacred purpose.
· Families can be together forever.
· Through serving others, we can experience joy and draw closer to God.”
Now, in reference to MuNKY’s OP about people “shov[ing] religion down each others’ throats”, we certainly do not believe in forcing our opinions on others. One of our articles of faith, which was the first outline of our beliefs, says “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.” We do believe in missionary work and trying to convert people because we want them to find the same happiness that we have.
Now, there are some common misconceptions about our religion that I’d like to straighten out now. 1) We are not polygamists. Any member found practicing polygamy is excommunicated. 2) Yes, we believe in Jesus Christ. (hence the name of our Church!). He is the Redeemer and the Son of God. 3) We do not worship Joseph Smith. We believe him to have been a prophet of God and a great man and respect him as such.
If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. :goodvibes
So, any other Latter-Day Saint teens out there? :flower:

AmoDolphin
01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
I am not sure what religion I am. I believe a whole bunch of differant things from a lot of differant religions. Like, I go to a Presbyterian church, but there are things that they teach with which I completely disagree. I believe that women should be part of the church aswell as men, and there should be women pasters/decons/elders. That part is like Lutherenism (which I think I am more then any other religion) I also don't think Presbyterians stress enough one thing over another thing. They emphasize in one or two sermons about how women should be submissive and not be like a doormat (which they then go on to tell women they should be doormats), and they never talk about how men should be submissive to their wives. Personally I think they are more sexist then God (or whatever you want to call Him) had planned. I guess I should stop there before I get to where I start sounding like I'm insulting other religions.

TheBellhop
01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Well soooooooooooooooooorry.

No harm in asking the same thing twice. :rolleyes:

If you're so interested in the subject, no harm in reading your thread. :rolleyes: