PDA

View Full Version : Sizzix and Sizzlits Doodlebug Dies Questions

KristinU
12-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi All,

This is cross-posted from another message board, but being a DIS-er, I know that the DIS boards have a lot of traffic so I thought I'd post this here as well in case you all have any ideas for me...

I just got the Sizzix and Sizzlit adapter and got just a couple of dies. This is my first foray into the world of personal die cutters, my only other experience is on the big ones at the scrapbook store...so I'm not sure quite what to expect. I'm happy with the results of the Sizzix dies so far, but the Sizzlit set I have is the Doodle Party set. Some of them seem to cut all the way through the cardstock on all of the details, and some do not. For example, if I wanted to used just the word "Party" and not the surrounding wavy block I'd have to cut it with an exacto or scissors...that seems wrong to me. Am I doing something incorrectly or is my die defective or is it supposed to be more of an indentation than a full cut? I tried shimming it with no luck. Now the cupcake cut all the way through and I was able to pull all of the different pieces apart, but the ice cream cone and the gift seemed to be the same as the word party.

So I guess I'm not sure if I think it is the dies, or my adapter, or my expectations!

What should I expect from Sizzlits? Now I'm nervous to shell out $$$ for alphabets if I might have the same problem of them not cutting through the whole way...but then again maybe it is just the Doodle style. I'm such a newbie at this aspect of scrapbooking - Help!

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

WDWMom
12-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I have problems like this on particular letters of particular ABC's. If you put a piece of scrap paper between the plastic thing and the smooth part of the die, that should help. Wish I could return and get new ones of these but not sure how to do it.

piratesmate
12-27-2005, 12:55 PM
I've never gotten any of the Doodlebug sets because I didn't like that whole effect. Perhaps if you used something heavier for your shim? Like cardstock instead of paper?

The Sizzlit alphabets & the mini tag set have never been a problem for me - they always cut all the way through.

KristinU
12-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks ladies...I think I'll go home and play with shimming a bit more and if that doesn't work then I'll work on getting replacements. That's the consensus I got from the other scrapbooking board too...seems like some people have the same problem and some don't. :confused3

Thanks Again! and Happy Scrapping!
Kristin

PIRATEGIRL007
12-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Contact sizzix. I had problems with the script font which I got when it was first released and a few of my dies would not cut all the way thru. I fussed and fought with them and ended up using the exacto. I mentioned something to our sizzix rep at CHA last year and she took my info and sent me replacement dies for those letters (I had 3, i think). She was really helpful and told me to email or call cust care if I had any other issues with the dies not cutting. I have only had to contact cust care one other time (sidekick plates snapped in two the first time i used them) and they were great. Friendly and prompt with sending replacements.