PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera
12-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

chimera
12-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Happy Holidays to all...

...and to all a good night!

MickeySP
12-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Merry Christmas & Happy Hannukah to all!!!

princessmomma
12-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Merry Christmas everyone, 14 days from right we will be finishing the Disney Marathon!!

We just arrived home from a 7 day Disney cruise. We had a great time, but I prefer a week at Walt Disney World. I managed to run my 10 mile LR on Castaway Cay on Friday. It was really great and effortless (I had a LOT of glycogen stores from the week :rotfl: ). Now back to the real world and two more weeks of taper.

Colleen

solotraveler
12-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Happy Holidays everyone!!

I can't believe we are two weeks away!! Holidays-schmalidays... all I can think about is the race!

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Lisa loves Pooh
12-25-2005, 03:33 PM
TiffJ--awesome pace. Hope you feel better!

Colleen--sounds like a fantastic cruise and a wonderful place for a 10 mile run. How many island laps was that?

I clocked about 13:30 (I think) yesterday on our 8 mile run. Oh--and did I forget the part that I'm no longer in Florida--I'm in New Mexico--almost a mile higher in elevation than I am used to--and then they have these hills b/c there are these things called MOUNTAINS. :earseek:

Hubby was such a hunk when we ran together for the first time about 2-3 months ago--and yesterday I was ready to kill him. I just don't like running with people who think they can coach me. He's lucky I didn't push him down the hill. :earboy2: . He expected me to go faster (b/c Doc says nothing wrong with my knee) and let's just say it involved me crying and screaming at him. He just didn't understand that with disrupted training and a modified plan--I wasn't about to change it up for him yesterday with only 2 weeks to go. :confused3 (Oh--and there might be a slight issue with PMS--and the evil one may have reared her ugly head :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 not quite sure---but it is quite possible :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 ).

He did redeem himself this morning--I got a new ring :cloud9: :love: :banana: . Of course--first I got a fake one that I thought was real and everyone knew it but me. pirate: . And then Santa gave me the real mccoy! Guess I should have been nicer yesterday or he wouldn't have played the joke. :rotfl:

This week--we go even higher in the mountains :earseek: . Depending on what it looks like when we arrive--this may just be a week of walking on the clock just to clock the time.

TXBelle
12-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! Does sitting around on the couch eating cookies count as tapering? Just wondering. If so, I'm very good at this taper thing. ;)

Jodi
12-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Merry Christmas!!! This training has definitely overshadowed the holidays this year!

Had a great LR yesterday, 8 miles @ a 9:24 pace (PR for me). My last mile was an 8:02! Sweet.

Today I'm cross training w/ cookies & other holiday food that'll be stopped up inside me for a few days. Great....

Hope everyone had a great holiday!!!! 2 more weeks!!!!!!! I can't stand it!!

Jodi

keenercam
12-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi, everyone! Just popping in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah.

I am so glad I got in my 8 miles yesterday on the TM. Got up at 6 and went to the gym and was out shopping before 9. Did the 8 in 1:53:04 (14:08 pace). That was good enough for me, especially since I had to force myself to stay with it beyond 3. Here's a tip. You can't stay up wrapping presents until 2:45 a.m. and then expect to get up for the gym at 6 and pull off a great pace. You just have to be glad to finish.

I am very excited now that we are less than 2 weeks away. I am going to turn my attention toward developing the packing list and the to-do-before-the-half list, especially with my Brother in Law coming to watch the kids. I see a lot of shopping and cleaning in my future.

Have a great night, everyone!

Calcio
12-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Cam

Just look at your last post. 8 miles at 14 minutes per mile. Now go back to, say March, and visualize you covering that distance at that pace. Well? Now imagine standing in the starting corrals in 13 days, with 13 miles in front of you.

You'll be fresh, surrounded by others doing the same distance, and ready to go. I'm confident you'll come in well under the 16 minute requirement.

Also, be sure to start in the front of your assigned corral. The 16 minute pace clock begins when the last person crosses the start. By being at the front of your corral, you'll give yourself a few precious additional minutes ahead of the sweepers.

Me? I'm certainly in good half marathon shape. How that translates to 2 races in about 29 hours remains to be determined. For the full I'm trying to arrange a rabbit to pick me up when I come out of the Animal Kingdom, and carry me to the entry to the Disney Studios. My only candidate is a 20 year old College Junior and lacrosse player, who I may threaten with her spring room and board payment to convince her to "volunteer."

We've done the hard work. The fun part begins at 6 a.m. on January 7.

See everyone in the corrals.

Craig

plutosmyfav
12-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi Eveyone!

Just a quick post... I did it! I completed my Run to Disney Christmas morning. Dx got me wonderful running clothes. He got me a pair of conditioning tights (I think like MelR posted about a while back) they have enforcing bands that criss-cross adding support around the knees. I love them! I was able to do a 6.2 with an avg pace of 9:06 and it wasn't hard :banana:

Anyhoo, I made it to Disney (virtually) and have done a few laps around the resort! :rotfl2:

msblrobs
12-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Happy Holidays to all & congrats to everyone on successful runs this week in the midst of the holiday time.

Glad to be over the holiday hump and it's full-steam ahead for packing and getting mentally prepared for the race. So very excited!!

Honeibee
12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi Eveyone!

Just a quick post... I did it! I completed my Run to Disney Christmas morning. Dx got me wonderful running clothes. He got me a pair of conditioning tights (I think like MelR posted about a while back) they have enforcing bands that criss-cross adding support around the knees. I love them! I was able to do a 6.2 with an avg pace of 9:06 and it wasn't hard :banana:

Anyhoo, I made it to Disney (virtually) and have done a few laps around the resort! :rotfl2:

:earseek: I am so incredibly impressed! That is fabulous! Way to go Plutosmyfav! :banana:

TiffJ
12-26-2005, 05:04 PM
WTG Sunny!!! That is awesome. And cool of Dx!

Sara- that is exactly what I'm doing. Making my packing lists, seeing what I need to buy before we leave, etc. Hoping to be able to leave the house clean. I hate coming home to a messy house.

Cam & Jodi- Great job on the pace :banana:

We have decided to go down a day early since DH has the whole week off anyway. We will arrive 1/2 & are staying at Pop for the 1st night & then check into WL. Very excited!!!!!!!

xterratri
12-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Just a quick stop in to say that we are back. Had an awesome 8 days at the World. Did the 20 mile LR on Sun 12/18(then had family over all afternoon and then stayed at MVMCP until 11 pm- can you say long day?) and the 10 mile taper LR Sat 12/24 but nothing much in between besides the normal WDW walking. FYI- it's not difficult at all to make a 7 mile mostly out and back with some looping out of the OKW, DTD, and SSR areas. I did 6.56 twice and 7 for the third lap to get the 20. Saratoga Springs landscaping is beautiful and I'm still really impressed by it. Someday we may even actually stay there but for this trip we had another great experience at OKW w/ a dedicated 2 bedroom.

Happy holidays everyone belatedly!
Mazz- sorry for your family's loss

TEK224
12-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Plutosmyfav - congrats on getting to WDW virtually. it was fun following along with you. :)

Cam - great job on that pace.

Well - I've had 2 days off of doing no workouts - unless you consider celebrating the holidays with the family a workout (and it could be ;) )
Tomorrow, I'll get back into some light workouts. Just about two weeks till I leave. The excitement and anticipation is killing me! :)

princessmomma
12-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Just about two weeks till I leave. :)

:earseek: I hope you mean just about one week before you leave!!

I plan to be finished the marathon and back home in 2 weeks!

FWIW, I have POR booked from Jan 5-9th that I will be cancelling tomorrow. I was able to get the Teacher rate of $155 at the Swan so we will be staying there. PM me if you are interested in maybe snatching up POR when I cancel.

Colleen

TEK224
12-27-2005, 12:26 AM
:earseek: I hope you mean just about one week before you leave!!

I plan to be finished the marathon and back home in 2 weeks!

Colleen

See what not exercising and eating chocolate chip cookies does to my brain? :crazy:

Yep, Colleen, I meant one week. I think I was catching up on some other posts and was thinking we had longer than we do. Must be wishful thinking for some more time for those workouts ;)

Terri
(Who now knows she leaves in one week for the World!)

TiffJ
12-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Terri- don't mess with my brain like that! I am counting down every day & have 6 to go & then I see your post & for a second I think "wait, have I been counting wrong"

I have made my packing list so I feel a little better now. My best friend makes fun of me. She said "you have a week until you leave & you have made a packing list already" See, I was getting worried because I was behind in my eyes. I usually have my list made & all the stuff bought at Wal Mart & some things in suitcases by now. She doesnt understand us compulsive Disney planners. That's why we get along so well, we're both neurotic, just in different ways :rotfl:

I got the Amphipod waist pack for the race yesterday. I was hoping I could get away with not using it (not because of comfort but because of how it would look in those pics :blush: ) I realized if I want to bring a disposable camera, even if I have pockets in my shorts I dont want to carry that in my pockets. DH thinks I'm nuts for caring how I look during a race. And if there weren't going to be any pics then I wouldnt care but I want pics! Since me & mom will be leaving the hotel way before our support team we are going to have someone in the lobby take a "before" picure of us. I'm sure the "after" pic will be really pretty.

Race question- those bags they give you to put your stuff in on race morning. how early do you have to turn those in? I was thinking I could put my pants in there before the race starts & have a disposable jacket. Looking at the weather I should be fine starting the race in shorts but I'm sure at 3:30 I will need something on my legs.

I'm also getting concerned about the amt of clothes to bring. Since packing for FL at this time of year means basically packing for 3 seasons. Plus my race stuff. Agh! I'm just going to bring everything I own & be done with it :goodvibes

Sorry for rambling, but I am getting so excited about this. It is finally time to start really preparing for the trip. And when I get excited-watch out. Like you guys said you can't hear an accent. Well with me what you can't hear is me talking 90 miles an hour. DH says "what?" to me alot :rolleyes1 I tend to get a little hyper when really excited about something. And WDW is definately something I get hyper over.

Honeibee
12-27-2005, 10:32 AM
As the hours tick away and the weekend gets closer and closer.... :cheer2: ...but I was wondering...are we going to get any marathon/half trip reports when you get back???

:bounce: Please please please! :Pinkbounc

Honeibee
12-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Duplicate post. :rolleyes1

keenercam
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi, everyone! Thanks so much, Craig, as always for your encouraging words. You are so right. When I look back on what I was writing even in the summer months, I see there were many times I was very discouraged and my WISH friends assured me that, while I couldn't expect to do the 1/2 at the required pace then, that by January, I would be well enough trained to do it. And you were all right. Now, while I am still intimidated, it is at a healthy level, rather than a paralyzing level. ;)

Am hoping to spend a good amount of time at the gym tonight in the hopes of taking off the 5 pounds I have gained in the past week :earseek: over the next 10 days!

Honeibee
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi, everyone! Thanks so much, Craig, as always for your encouraging words. You are so right. When I look back on what I was writing even in the summer months, I see there were many times I was very discouraged and my WISH friends assured me that, while I couldn't expect to do the 1/2 at the required pace then, that by January, I would be well enough trained to do it. And you were all right. Now, while I am still intimidated, it is at a healthy level, rather than a paralyzing level. ;)

Am hoping to spend a good amount of time at the gym tonight in the hopes of taking off the 5 pounds I have gained in the past week :earseek: over the next 10 days!

If you figure this one out, let me know how you did it! I'm afraid to get on the scale now! :earseek:

BTW, what happened to your signatures??

keenercam
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
delete. Sorry.

solotraveler
12-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Plutos- congrats on making it all the way to WDW!!! What a big goal... you must be thrilled!!

Honibee- Oh yeah, if (no...when)--- WHEN I finish the race you better believe there will be a report. A long one. I will have my laptop with me, so hopefully I will be able to post a little something, if not necessarily the whole thing.

This taper thing is tougher than I had orginially anticipated. Monday I did 4 miles in 37:26. Perfectly happy with that, even if it did feel a little tough. Today I did 40 minutes (3/2) for a total of 3.96 miles. Things would have been a little better pace-wise, except I spend several minutes with a cute Labrador Retriever who insisted on following me for several blocks, despite my attempts to get him to stop. Eventually I had to stop and walk him back home. :dog: Anyhow, I feel this odd desire to try and push things when I know I should be resting-- needing to go farther, needing to go faster. It's as though I'm fighting a nervousness that I will completely lose all that training if I don't keep pushing. I never thought I'd say that before. :)

Tough to believe that I leave for WDW one week from tomorrow. I feel like I have a hundred things to do yet, but at least it'll keep me from going completely crazy during the next few days.

OK, I'm off-
Happy training all!

Tiger Lily 03
12-27-2005, 03:09 PM
... I did it! I completed my Run to Disney Christmas morning. Sunny, You rule! I think I NEED those tights you got. I’m going to have to see where I can find more $ for this easy sport!

I’m with everyone posting…race thoughts are now in every second of my mind. Getting really excited!

Lisa, hope you are enjoying things in NM. It is great that you could have a partner to run with you (even if it gets a bit tense at times), and that you got that awesome Christmas present.

All those “involved”, tee hee on the tapering routine (couch and cookies). ;)

Craig, you lucky one you to have your own rabbit when it will be needed the most. I will be looking for those around me to “get me home.”

Tif, bring everything. At least race clothing. I am and will decide the night before I try to sleep what I will have for the event. You have some time before turning in your bags for check-in. However, there will still be wait time as the approach to the “corrals” is another holding area that you must pass through security check. Halfers left their bags at a bus, and fullers have tents to leave their bags after security check point, but that was when the events were the same day. Not sure how this will run now.

I am made fun of along the trails I run. I have so much stuff hanging about my waist and such that many call it my “tool belt” and chuckle onward as they pass me. I give many a smile as I trek onward. So, fashion statement I will not be. (I will carry my waist pack with gu, lip gloss, wet naps, my outer belt will have my cell and camera and probably one amphipod water bottle. I think I can get away with only one and fill as I go since there will be water stops. This bottle will be for the time I can’t wait for the stop.

Packing list, I need one…I must develop my list too. Eek!

I did my 10 mile LR very slow pace. I am still hoping that I can eek out the event. I will do the remaining “during the week times” a bit faster and still within taper zone effort. I hope this will be sufficient. Oh well, can’t do anything about that now.

TXBelle
12-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Officially out of my funk and ready to race! I read the race packet again last night and started putting together my race plan. Has anyone noticed that for the 1/2 marathon we have to come back up and around the exit ramp on our way back to EPCOT around mile 10? That is going to be tough. Last year, we only had to go down the ramp. I'm ready for the challenge. Bring it on! :dog2:

I can't wait to meet my new friends and see my old friends at Trails End next week. Don't forget your cameras! :banana:

WDWFAN9
12-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi All!

All I can say is that it is hard work having fun!! And, not so good for the training.

My DN got married Friday night, so in addition to all the holiday celebrations we piggy-backed a wedding on top! And why I thought it was a good idea to dance the night away in heels (I never wear heels!) at the reception is beyond me :confused3 .....I guess I can't really blame my niece for that, but boy have I been sore! I missed my LW on Saturday and last night barely managed 25 minutes on the TM before my poor, aching legs gave up in protest. Tonight was much better, and I am really getting excited for the half to finally be here!!

Is any one else feeling a little paranoid? I find myself being extra careful at work in avoiding anyone with even a hint of a cold and I find myself washing my hands like crazy at every opportunity. I'm also being extra careful walking outside, my kids think I'm losing it!! But hey - this is important stuff, and I am taking no chances.....

I am looking forward to meeting you all....

TiffJ
12-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Pat- be paranoid! Wash hands constantly! I spent the better part of the day yesterday at the Dr. for me, then DS4 dr then Target pharmacy. I am now on decongestant, antibiotic & steroids(uh oh will that disqualify me :goodvibes )
I have fluid in my ears & severe head congestion. DS has pink eye and all the congestion on top of his normal respiratory problems. He is on 4 meds plus his nebulizer. :sad2: We are all washing & using gel constantly so no one else gets the pink eye. Everyone in our family is sick except DS8. Even the dog threw up yesterday. Be vigilant killing those stupid germs. I think everyone in Huntsville is sick right now. Oh- and don't wear shoes that may cause foot/ankle problems :goodvibes

Heather-so glad you are out of that funk! No I hadn't noticed the exit ramp. At mile 10 :earseek: How rude of them!

Happy tapering everyone!

MelRhoads
12-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm totally paranoid too. We were all exposed to a stomach bug that takes about 5 days to show up. The boy started in yesterday! It is really a short lived thing, so hopefully, we are all done with it, but I have been playing the worst case sceneraio in my head! that would mean that either phil and i would get it in 5 days (around new year's) and then the other one in 5 more! that would be about race time :-( Hopefully we have already been exposed and are just not going to get it. But I'm Paranoid!!!!!!!

I have absolutely nothing as far a running!!! I did go climbing and kayaking, but I have not been running. I will some this week!

Hope everyone had a good holiday! Can't wait to meet!

Honeibee
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Pat- be paranoid! Wash hands constantly! I spent the better part of the day yesterday at the Dr. for me, then DS4 dr then Target pharmacy. I am now on decongestant, antibiotic & steroids(uh oh will that disqualify me :goodvibes )
I have fluid in my ears & severe head congestion. DS has pink eye and all the congestion on top of his normal respiratory problems. He is on 4 meds plus his nebulizer. :sad2: We are all washing & using gel constantly so no one else gets the pink eye. Everyone in our family is sick except DS8. Even the dog threw up yesterday. Be vigilant killing those stupid germs. I think everyone in Huntsville is sick right now. Oh- and don't wear shoes that may cause foot/ankle problems :goodvibes

Heather-so glad you are out of that funk! No I hadn't noticed the exit ramp. At mile 10 :earseek: How rude of them!

Happy tapering everyone!

You guys can't be getting sick NOW! No no no! :guilty:

A ramp?!?!?! A RAMP!?!?!? Oh man, I thought this was a FLAT race!! :earseek:

Ok maybe next year it will be. :rotfl:

We will be there in Sept 2006 for a "real" vacation, so I full intend to check out the route of the 2007 Half then.

zoegirl
12-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey you guys!
I hope you're Christmas was great. I for one am glad it's over because I am officially sick of eating!! I don't even want to think about getting on a scale..ugh!

Ran the 14 last Friday, and it went well. I'm really not keeping track of times at this point b/c there really is no point for me to do that :rotfl:
I'm just trying to stay healthy and injure free for the next 10 days.
Ran short yesterday morning and I tried something new today...swimming.
I came away a bit humbled I must say. Swimming is not easy...well let me rephrase, swimming the correct way is not easy. But it sure is a good workout.

Not too much to say here, just checkin in to say "hey" and I am so excited to be going to WDW next week! I've been playing all my disney cds this week, to get pumped up (like I need help with that). I think I'm driving everyone around me crazy. I can't help it I AM SO EXCITED!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Well must go for now, will check in again soon.

~bree~

msblrobs
12-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Tapering is really making me crazy!! I am now obsessing over the lack of packing I've done. I also want to go to Dick's Sporting Goods every day on my lunch hour to make sure there isn't anything else I REALLY need!! I'm watching the weather forecast for Orlando like a hawk....UGHH!!! My family may strangle me before next weekend :rotfl2:

WDWFAN9
12-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Well my paranoidness (is that a word?) didn't help this morning - I was rear-ended at a stop light on my way to work. Actually rear-ended is probably too strong a word.....I was bumped from behind while waiting for the light to turn green. Fortunately I am fine and the car only had a teeny dent. Yikes!! January 7th can't get here soon enough.

plutosmyfav
12-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm watching the weather forecast for Orlando like a hawk....UGHH!!! My family may strangle me before next weekend :rotfl2:

Me too :rotfl2: I've been so psyched at the cool temps (current jan 6 is listed as 45/66 degF) and then it dawned on me that we won't be swimming :cold: DS will be quite disappointed. Although, DD and I went swimming at night when it was 45 degF one December (the pools are heated) so we'll see...

As for paranoia, yep, got it big time. I won't "clean up" DS's plate or let anyone touch mine. I wash my hands everytime I touch anything that isn't specifically mine. The first thing I do when I enter my house is wash my hands. I won't touch hand rails on stairways, escalators, etc. Of course the plane ride/air port will be the biggest germ shower we will encounter!!!! I think I will stop short of wearing a medical mask on the plane :rotfl2: I've even starting using the elevator to go down (but not up) at work to reduce unnecessary pressure on the knees...

The gym staff are on to me :rotfl:
I did lower body weights today. One staff guy (a former 60x marathoner) came over while I was using the leg press and scolded me and said "I better not see you touching weights all next week". I promised I wouldn't. He also "alerted" the other staff in case he wasn't there next week! I did an awsome session knowing it was my "last time" for a long time. I ran 6.6 miles yesterday, that's it so far this week. I also did upper body weights yesterday. The gym guy also warned me to go real light on upper body weights until the race, too. Now I'm paranoid about getting all flabby by race time!

I am in a total panic about packing and planning the over all trip. I think I will try to pack tonight so I can stop panicking (hopefully).

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: For all of you currently sick and those of you who might have been exposed!

fwalker3
12-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Okay - I couldn't believe the comments on being paranoid. I really thought I was the only one. My kids (4 and 6), like everyone elses, are home this week and I refuse to go anywhere enclosed with them (bowling, chucky cheese, gymnastics, McDonalds playground...) They are so ready to kill me!

It's nice to know I'm not alone! I have made it this far, I am not going to get sick now.

67 degrees current forecast....I can't wait to see What Sunday's will be.

zoegirl
12-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Don't be paranoid. You only have to remember to pack a few things..like your running shoes and the clothes you will run in. That's what I tell myself, but the reality is I always overpack.

If you are like me you like to pack everything you "think' you might need. I will pack clothes to run in if it's chilly, and clothes to run in if it's warm. Remember, if you are chilly standing around before the start you will warm up. It's best to not be warm when you start running b/c you will only get warmer. DFIL says to get dressed then stand outside and spin your arms around like crazy. If you're warm when you stop then you have too many clothes on......of course do this if you don't mind looking like an idiot to passers by :rotfl:

Last year the warm front moved through and I packed running shorts but forgot to pack casual shorts and a bathing suit. I roasted in my jeans, and sweat pants the days after the race. I have had nightmares this year about forgetting to pack shorts and a bathing suit. So, I'm thinking the bigger the suitcase I can haul the better for me. :)

Oh yeah and for the "germ" people. I have started taking immune building vitamins so I won't get sick, and I carry antibacterial wipes in my purse to wipe my hands off. I visted my great-aunt in the nursing home last week and I was so freaked out by people coughing. My DH just laughed at me...so mean isn't he?

Oh and I'll bring my own coffee b/c I'm not used to drinking the yucky nestle coffee disney provides in the rooms. I have to have my cup of coffee before I run to....ummmm...let's see how to phrase this...ummmmm "get things moving." Plus I'll bring my own breakfast to eat b/c again I don't want to be eating anything new b/c I don't want ummmm uhhhh "things to keep moving" while I'm running. So sick isn't it?

I'm so glad I'm not the only "freakish" over packer in the bunch.

~bree~

Disneefun
12-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I've become very germ phobic, too. Our christmas was even canceled. My parents were supposed to come over christmas day so we could exchange presents. Well, mom calls that AM and says that dad has a little cold -- nothing much, but did I still want them to come? Yes I told her, I want you to come, BUT NOT UNITL HE IS GERM-FREE!!! So we're having christmas this weekend, unless she comes down with it (fingers crossed). And I can tell you that, much as I love them, I will be clorox-wiping everything they touch when they leave.

We went to Target yesterday 'cause DH had to get a prescription refilled. I just kept veering away from people. I was on one aisle and this lady started coughing -- man, I reversed directions so fast that DH said "Hey, that woman looked at you like you insulted her -- she shot you a look." Fine, whatever, everyone else can think I'm insulting them but I have more important things to worry about.

The only good news is that I won't have to worry about plane/hotel room germs as we are taking the motorhome. Any germs in there are mine.

As for packing -- let's not even go there. Major stress inducer. I hate to pack, whether it's just for a weekend or a month away. I make so many lists that my lists have lists. It all gets done eventually, it's just not fun for me.

Have a good day and HAPPY NEW YEAR (if I don't post again before then).

chimera
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Add me to the germ phobic list. I saw three patients today with colds and kept thinking that I just couldn't catch something before the race.

Cam...wtg on your 8 miler! :cheer2: :cheer2: You were way ahead of me...mine was awful. I walked the entire last mile and ended up with a 14:30 pace.

My bag is actually packed already. I packed the clothes from my 12-miler after they were washed. Got shoes, headband, gloves, packet, pouch, throwaway clothes, trashbags, snacks for the race and after, batteries for the MP3, etc...

I've embraced the taper concept a little too well. I've probably skipped one SR each week since the final LR and I'm not too worried about it. :confused3 I never skipped anything until this, so I hope I'm not losing the enthusiasm.

MelRhoads
12-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Mel - I'm with you! If taper means eat and don't run, then I'm a pro, but if it means "taper" down on the running......well...... Those milkshakes are really good though!

plutosmyfav
12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
My bag is actually packed already. I packed the clothes from my 12-miler after they were washed. Got shoes, headband, gloves, packet, pouch, throwaway clothes, trashbags, snacks for the race and after, batteries for the MP3, etc...

OMG batteries!!!! I totally forgot about batteries. Could someone, or maybe a few someones please post your race packing list? I'm so scared I will forget something really important. I just added Garmin charger to my list today! Imagine getting down there with a low battery Garmin and no charger!!!! Cell phone chargers were added right after Gc.

Today's taper schedule included a Jack Daniels steak and mashed potatoes at Friday's. I was diligent about following the WW tips for restaurant eating; I licked the platter clean, leaving no trace of the entre that once sat there. Wait, that is the WW way, right???? Don't worry, I followed it up with a maple frosted coffee roll at DD.

This is the way to taper, right???

Sunny

keenercam
12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Mel -- You are still way ahead of the sweepers, even walking that much! Congrats, kiddo!

Howard's carryon is going to have the following run-related items:
running underwear
sport bra
2 pairs socks
bike shorts
running pants
WISH tee shirt
throw-away sweatshirt
throw-away sweatpants
fanny pack w/water bottle
bottle of orange powerade
8 honey packets
3 power bars
garmin
garmin charger
ipod shuffle
shuffle outlet charger
earphones
running sunglasses
ponytail holder
kleenex
running shoes
lip balm

Howard's list is similar, but will also include his hand towel (to wipe his face) and his headband

What's everyone else packing in their carryons? :teeth:

The other two things that are going to the race with me but will be in my tote for the plane are my cell phone and my digital camera. And, I will have our race packets in my tote with all our critical papers!

MelRhoads
12-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Howard's carryon is going to have the following run-related items:
running underwear
sport bra
2 pairs socks
bike shorts
running pants
WISH tee shirt
throw-away sweatshirt
throw-away sweatpants
fanny pack w/water bottle
bottle of orange powerade
8 honey packets
3 power bars
garmin
garmin charger
ipod shuffle
shuffle outlet charger
earphones
running sunglasses
ponytail holder

Cam - Why is Howard carrying a running bra and a ponytail holder??????? In the last picture I saw of him, he had short hair and I didn't notice man breasts!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Sorry - I couldn't resist! :blush:

keenercam
12-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh, great, Melissa! Now I have to make sure he doesn't read this week's training thread. What I MEANT to say is that he is carrying all of our running stuff. My list is . . . :rotfl:

And, Melissa, you have a great memory -- short hair and a GREAT buff bod! Am so glad I got him into this 1/2 marathon thing. It has alll sorts of side benefits for me! ;)

TEK224
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
OK... while the anticipation has been killing me, the holidays have totally ruined my training this week (taper?? did that mean stop? :rolleyes: ) ) and I haven't started packing yet, I was doing doing a good job of avoiding the paranoia. Until I've read everyone's post. Now you all have me worrying.
Will I forget something? Have I lost any fitness levels by not doing much this week? Will I overslept? Will I catch a cold? Aggghhh!

The two days I can't for: Jan. 4th when I leave for WDW and Jan. 9th so I can enjoy my double massage with my three adorable medals! :teeth:

Happy New Year everyone. And Happy tapering!

Terri

MelRhoads
12-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Sorry Cam, my mischief was totally premeditated! I just couldn't pass it up!!

Exposure update... Now Phil has the tummy thing! Mabye that means we were all exposed at the same time and I'm not going to get it. I probably drowned the virus in all of the milkshakes I've been drinking!!!! At least if I haven't yet been exposed, I'll be exposed now and get it in five days. Then I'll be sure i don't have it on race day.

I am not a planner (I think that might be a freak thing in this group) I have no idea what I am going to wear for either race. (except the shoes of course) I think I'll probably wear my WISH shirt for the 1/2 because i think the seams will chaffe me for the full. People keep asking me the date of the race and i always tell them "oh it's either jan 6 and 7th or jan 7th and 8th. I'll figure it out I know for sure it is on a Sat. and Sun. Maybe I should start planning! I was just planning on following the crowds!

TiffJ
12-29-2005, 07:37 AM
I haven't packed a thing & it is starting to freak me out. We leave in 4 days!
I did get all the Christmas stuff put up yesterday. And washed everything in the house trying to get rid of germs. So today I can clean up the mess I made doing that & then start packing the stuff we dont wear hear (shorts, bathing suit, etc) plus I need to go to AAA & get some travelers checks. There's no end in sight to all I need to do :sad2:

I haven't exercised for 2 days. (well yesterday I did xt by putting stuff up & being on my feet all day) Haven't felt good enough to do it. Hoping to get a SR in today.

For the last 2 nights I have had marathon dreams. Luckily they aren't the kind that make you worry or freak out about something. So far they've only been the meet & greet with all of you.

4 more days!!!! Happy taper dance :banana:

plutosmyfav
12-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I'll add to Cam's list:

Don't forget the clippie thing for charging Garmin!
vasoline
sunblock
throwaway mittens/gloves
batteries if needed
gels (for me its Accelerade and GU)
fuel belt and fanny pack (TBD race day)
moist wipes (individually packed)

I started packing last night and I feel much better for it!

However, I am really stressing over two things:

1) sunglasses. I wear very dark prescript. sunglasses. I don't know how to handle the first few hours of being out in the dark before/during race. I really don't want to carry my reg glasses and I don't want to stumble around blind in the dark. I can wear my pres. sunglasses if it isn't super dark. Anyone else have this problem? solution?

2) the shirt. I love my WISH shirt and want to wear it but I am really concerned over how it will feel after 20 miles. I've cut the collar and arm seems off and spent quite a bit of time looking at it in the mirror trying to figure out if I look totally ridiculous or if it is acceptable! I'm almost considering cutting the front and back logos off and sewing them onto a tried and true running shirt. I know from experience, something that works great for 12 miles can be skin ripping at 20+. I'm really stressing over this one.

My mom gave me a lime green visor for the race which I think will work well. (I can't have my forehead exposed to FL sun without sunblock) but it clashes big time with the shirt :rotfl2: But I don't care. I'm just not sure I want to have it on my head the whole time. So I'm trying to decide if it can hang from my fuel belt or fanny pack (depending which way I go).

All of the sudden I feel clueless about how to dress for 26 miles. I haven't worn shorts for months now.

I know someone answered this, but what is the time frame for dropping off your bag and the start of the race?

zoegirl
12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
good morning ya'll!
guess what??? 7 days til I go to WDW!!!!
I woke up this morning and said to DH "by this time next Thursday we'll be on the road" and he said "mmmmmppphhh!" I interpreted that as "I am so excited too baby!" He's so lucky that I know how to interpret mumble. :rotfl:

Your posts are cracking me up!
Sunny: the visual of you licking your plate had me in hysterics! You go girl!!

Melissa: I think that dairy does in fact kill viruses :smooth: so that is a good excuse to keep drinking those shakes!

Cam: I love your carry on list. Like I said yesterday, I pack every single thing I think I "might" need. Plus extra. :blush:

I have one to add to everyone's list: An extra battery for the mp3 to carry in your water belt. Mine went dead during the Charlotte marathon and thankfully DFIL had an extra. If it hadn't been for that extra battery Gwen Stefani wouldn't have gotten me through the last mile. :)

well must get to work.

~bree~

keenercam
12-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Okay, everyone. . . . you'll think I am nuts, but I have now come up with checklists of things to do Friday night:
charge Garmin
charge cell phone
charge camera battery
charge shuffle
mix 1/2 water 1/2 powerade for water bottle
lay out clothes
pack muffin or bagel to eat on bus

And a list of things to do at 3 a.m. Saturday morning:
shower, deodorant, makeup (I actually have to write this down. Not sure I'll be conscious), small earrings
undergarments
race outfit -- pin race number to WISH shirt
Garmin on left wrist
sunglasses on top of head
pack fanny pack: cell phone, camera, 4 powerbars, 8 honey packets, kleenex, lip balm, shuffle/headphones, KTTW card, powerade/water bottle
add throwaway layer -- sweatpants, sweatshirt, gloves
take 2 aleve

Take to bus stop:
breakfast
blanket
large plastic trash bag (to sit on)
check-in bag (haven't decided what to put in this yet for after the race :confused3 )
fanny pack
small bottle of sunscreen
Howard

What did I forget?

princessmomma
12-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Okay, everyone. . . . you'll think I am nuts, but I have now come up with checklists of things to do Friday night:
charge Garmin
charge cell phone
charge camera battery
charge shuffle
mix 1/2 water 1/2 powerade for water bottle
lay out clothes
pack muffin or bagel to eat on bus

And a list of things to do at 3 a.m. Saturday morning:
shower, deodorant, makeup (I actually have to write this down. Not sure I'll be conscious), small earrings
undergarments
race outfit -- pin race number to WISH shirt
Garmin on left wrist
sunglasses on top of head
pack fanny pack: cell phone, camera, 4 powerbars, 8 honey packets, kleenex, lip balm, shuffle/headphones, KTTW card, powerade/water bottle
add throwaway layer -- sweatpants, sweatshirt, gloves
take 2 aleve

Take to bus stop:
breakfast
blanket
large plastic trash bag (to sit on)
check-in bag (haven't decided what to put in this yet for after the race :confused3 )
fanny pack
small bottle of sunscreen
Howard

What did I forget?

Cam, love you list, especially your last item! :rotfl:

For me it will be kiss sleeping DH good bye.

Honeibee
12-29-2005, 10:24 AM
My poor husband.....this was part of last nights dinner conversation.....

(My husband has four young children and he makes up the visitation schedule every year. He hasn't done it yet for 2006....)

DH: "I really better make up that schedule this weekend".

Me: "Yes, and I know you have the kids for a week next Christmas but you're going to have to take them to your mother's house that week. I can't risk getting sick two weeks before the marathon. And I can't be going to any holiday parties next year and having people kiss me all over the place and shaking my hands."

:rotfl:

Me: "I gave Keener my cell phone number so she can register me so I can track her splits. She's so sweet. She's really inspirational too! And incedibly organized! I have to find a carry-on bag to bring all my walking stuff on the plane."

DH: "Ummm.....who's Keener? Why does she have your cell numebr? You have to be able to do splits for this race? You have over a year to go, why are you worried about packing already?? ":confused:

:rotfl2:

:rotfl: See guys? I've been reading every one of your posts! Well, at least finally I have found something he knows nothing about. Now he knows how I feels when he starts talking all SCUBA or pilot stuff. :teeth:

MelRhoads
12-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Sunny - I wouldn't sew the shirt pieces to your normal shirt. The stitches could really rub!!! I wear transition glasses, but my problem is that the get foggy in the mornings. I don't think this happens in warm weather, but my only experience is on the early am adventure races and it has happend every time. I try to make it a point not to be awake at 5am unless i have to! Anyway, I generally just take them off until the fog clears and go blind. Running won't be bad b/c you can still see the people around you! I got fog wipes for this race. i'll have to try them out!

msblrobs
12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Cam - I don't think you're nuts at all. You sound like me!!! I have so many lists at various locations that it's obscene. I will be using yours also :earsboy:

Sunny - :rotfl: at licking the plate.

Mel - I really wish I were more like you. I am such an 'A' personality and a New Yorker to boot...I've had my suitcase out for 2 months now. If only it were packed, I'd be all set.

Chimera - Immensely jealous you're all packed.

I went to Dick's yesterday and got Nike tights and a lime green Adidas long-sleeve top for $16.00!! :cool1: I'll definitely be sporting the shirt at Trail's End next Friday.

Best of luck to everyone getting through next week.

keenercam
12-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Honeibee -- what a riot! "didn't know you had to be able to do splits!" :rotfl2: That is TOOO, TOOO funny! BTW, if my splits are really bad, please call me on my cell and tell me to "move my a$$"!!!! Of course, I am counting on Rhonda (akasleepingbeauty) to keep me on pace, too!

This is tooo much fun! I actually went to the gym this morning at 6:45 (had to stop for a snickers energy bar and a bottle of water) and did 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the TM at 14:51 pace. Hoping for another morning like that tomorrow, then a really good 5 mile SLW Saturday a.m. Then into the home stretch!

Can't believe a week from now we will be at Beach Club Villas. :Pinkbounc Still really bummed that we have a second bedroom going unused (what a waste! especially when I know there are people who have tried to book but couldn't).

ETA: Sara, forgot to mention that DH (Keenho aka Howard) ordered very nice addidas running tights and shirt in black with lime green trim (couldn't find them in any stores around here for men). I saw a lot of the addidas women's stuff at Dick's last night and was so incredibly tempted, but am looking forward to wearing my WISH shirt! I DID finally find non-name pants (black w/lime stripe) and will try them out Saturday for 5 miles to make sure they are comfy. :cool1:

plutosmyfav
12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey is anybody running anymore? :rotfl: I'm just back from the gym. I did 4.4 miles and it felt great. I have definitely aclimated to the low mileage thing. Tomorrow will be the last LR, 8 miles at the Y. :cool1:

MelR-- I think I will just go blind until pitch black is over. I can wear my sunglasses a little before full sun rise so I should be ok. I didn't think of the fog issue. Another item for the packing list...

Cam-- :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I can just see you pushing Howard out the door and then checking him off your list!

This is getting exciting!!!!!

So far none of the cell phones I tried to register have received confirm# but all three emails did :confused3 I'm really hoping Dx can get updates on a phone (mine or his).

msblrobs
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey is anybody running anymore? :rotfl: I'm just back from the gym. I did 4.4 miles and it felt great. I have definitely aclimated to the low mileage thing. Tomorrow will be the last LR, 8 miles at the Y. :cool1:

Sunny - I'm out there running!! Last night I did 4 and tomorrow I'll be doing 8 right there along with you.

Cam - Good girl for holding out on the purchases. I have to admit that I have never 'gasp' worn tights to run before. I run exclusively on the TM, so there's really no need to run in anything except shorts. However, I did try my new tights out last night and they felt quite 'liberating' :confused3

Okay, I really have to do some work now It's an inside joke with my kids & I that my boss always says to me "Sara, stop thinking about Disney and get to work!!"

keenercam
12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Sara -- I am hoping that another year of training (and hopefully another 35-40 pounds) will bring me to a place where I might actually wear running tights (or anything not baggy, for that matter) for the 2007 1/2. :banana:

msblrobs
12-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Sara -- I am hoping that another year of training (and hopefully another 35-40 pounds) will bring me to a place where I might actually wear running tights (or anything not baggy, for that matter) for the 2007 1/2. :banana:

Judging by your recent photos of the incredibly shrinking you, I have no doubt that you'll be flying in racing tights in '07. :cheer2: It's so awe inspiring at how far you've come already. You go girl!!!

keenercam
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Judging by your recent photos of the incredibly shrinking you, I have no doubt that you'll be flying in racing tights in '07. :cheer2: It's so awe inspiring at how far you've come already. You go girl!!!

:hug: :cloud9:

keenercam
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I have another weird question. I just can't get a handle on my appetite and am looking for more advice (I know there are only 8 days left, but I will go right into training to run a 5 mile race after the 1/2, so I should figure this out). Here is my issue:
This morning I left the house at 6:30 to go to the Y and stopped and got a snickers marathon bar and a 24 oz bottle of water. I ate the bar immediately and started drinking water. I did 30 minutes on a bike at about 85 rpm (not very fast) and then 30 minutes on the treadmill (14:51 pace) and finished about 20 oz water in the interim, all by about 7:50.

Came to work, got a shower and at about 9:15 am was finally in my office, where I ate a pretty substantial bagel w/cream cheese. By 11:30 I was ravenous. It is bizarre. My stomach is growling and I have been downing the water (another 25 oz) and have had 2 cups of coffee, too. I cannot eat the way my body is demanding food, but I can't stand feeling so hungry, either.

For lunch, I have a green salad w/fat free dressing and will add 2 hard boiled eggs to it. What else should I do? Should I maybe get some grilled chicken? Or should I eat some carbs? :confused3

plutosmyfav
12-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Cam I have the same problem with the appetite. I find the only way I can keep from eating too much and not suffering the "stomach eating itself" sensation is to eat huge amounts of zero pt vegetables. For instance, I had about 5 cups of spring mix (lettuce stuff) with zero calorie dressing and 3 cups of green beans for lunch, along with a boca burger, FF/SF yogurt and orange :earseek: That stuffs my stomach without too many points (4 points total). (Remember I went to Friday's last night and totally pigged out, so today has to be strict).

As much as I am enjoying this taper thing, I really don't want to carry the equivalent of a bowling ball 26.2 miles next week in extra weight!!!!!

BTW, you'll be wearing tights in '07 and possibly doing the FULL :cheer2: :grouphug: :cloud9: :cool1: :banana:

Sunny

keenercam
12-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you, Sunny! For everything! :hug: I think I will go get some more free salad and add sugar snap peas, artichoke hearts, cucumbers & tomatoes, and my 2 hard boiled eggs (4); I also have a lite yogurt (2).

Tiger Lily 03
12-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I just love reading everything now!

Paranoia, excitement, worry, excitement...I'm with ya.

Sunny, yup--I ran last night. TM for about 54 minutes and 4 miles. I actually enjoyed it. Ramped it up a bit for me b/c it was a "short" run. Have been doing only running, no XT to speak of really. The Bingham Marathoning for Mortals plan I am following calls for 6 miles this weekend. Should be a breeze now.

My carry on will contain every running thing I own. I figure if the rest of my luggage getls lost I will at least be able to participate in the event!

Cam, can you break your eating portions into 2? I find if I do that it seems to hold me off from the ravenous feeling a bit longer. I will eat the 1/2 bagel and a little later eat the other half. I do that with the oatmeal packet too. Lunch is simlarly split. Dinner is a bit more difficult to split off.

Thanks to all for the lists. MUST get on that tomorrow. I expect to have everything set up by the end of the weekend.

Thanks to all for the cell #s. I hope to catch up with folks as able.

TXBelle
12-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Cam- I recommend trying on your race outfit the night before and pinning the number on your shirt then. You want to make sure that the number can be easily read in all the photos, especially your finish line shot. Remember, the race number is how they organize the photos on-line and how you can find your photos. It will be much easier to pin on the race number on Friday night then at 3 am on Saturday. Pin the race number on the front of your shirt above where your fanny pack will be.

One more item to add to the growing packing list: chapstick or lip gloss to keep your lips moist

princessmomma
12-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Cam- I recommend trying on your race outfit the night before and pinning the number on your shirt then. You want to make sure that the number can be easily read in all the photos, especially your finish line shot.

I am planning on wearing two layers, taking off the long sleeves around mile 16ish. So, do you pin your number on the outside layer and then repin it to your bottom layer later?? I want the number to be showing for the coming through the castle shot, but I think I will still be in my long sleeve.

Any suggestions?

zoegirl
12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm still running a bit. I ran 4 Tuesday, will run 8 tomorrow and probably 4 Monday, then I'm done until the races. I am so scared of tiring my legs before the race.

I also am STARVING all the time. I figure this is normal for training b/c it's been this way for me the last 3 years. I am so impressed with you guys that are sticking to WW. I give in way to easily, so if you are as hungry as I have been then you have the best will power I have ever seen. I give in and eat entire bags of tortilla chips w/salsa every week!
All my friends and family laugh at the amount of food I eat. Thank goodness I excersise to offset some of those calories. :)

Heather: lipbalm is a good suggestion to add to the list. If some people end up not wearing their water belts a tube of chapstick is small enough to tuck in your jogbra, or into the waist of your pants/shorts.

Sunny: Do we need to make you a leash so we can lead you through the dark? Actually that might be a good idea..if you have a leash on, you can pull me behind you and make me real fast!! :cool1:

I have a question. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to buy two extra water bottles for my belt and have DH give them to me filled if/when I pass by him? I don't want to waste money but I thought that if I give him extra bottles to have for me then I won't waste much time trying to fill them up at water stops. Those little 10 oz. bottle caps are hard to screw on and off!

Is that silly?

~bree~

plutosmyfav
12-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Cam-- speaking of "free food", I have declared oranges free :rotfl: I had a case of FL oranges shipped for Christmas and the crate says that one med. orange has 50 caloreis and 7 g of fiber. According to the WW point formula that makes them free :cool1: I'm eating oranges left and right!

Bree- the extra water bottle idea is awsome. If I had that chance I'd certainly take it. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with filling water bottles either, but Dx will not be following me around the race :rolleyes: so GO FOR IT!!!!! As for the will power, well mine comes and goes in waves. Today's wave is a direct result of last nights overload :teeth: I know my family has been a bit amazed with the plates I've been sitting down with lately, too. I will not wear a leash :rotfl2: So look out, Sunny's comin' and she can't see squat!!!!

Speaking of speed. That is a haunting issue. I have been thinking about pace all day. I know I can finish with a smile on my face at 4:30, I think I can finish with a (forced) smile on my face at 4:15. I want to finish at 4:10. I'm trying to come to grips with myself today. Maybe its just the IC getting way too itchy with all of this tapering. Plus its been so long since I've done an LR on the road that I feel like I don't even know what my pace is anymore. Oh the stress and strain of it all :crazy:

back to work :earboy2:

keenercam
12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Lily -- Thanks for the advice about food. I think I may have found a solution. Eat an entire salad from wawa (kind of like a 7-11 store) with hard boiled eggs, as well as an entire salad from the local lunch place. When you are well and truly stuffed, eat a soft pretzel (carb craving), and as everyone around you is eating birthday cake (my partner's b-day) and christmas candy and cookies, satisfy yourself with 7 cashews (3 of which were chocolate covered). Then, if you can roll yourself back to your desk, drink more water to make yourself feel really full so that you don't head back to the kitchen for more dark chocolate covered cashews. All the while, think and plan how you are going to fess up to your WISH friends that sunny's wednesday night meal approach seems to have rubbed off!

Heather -- thanks for the advice about pinning the number while I am coherent. GREAT point!

Hey, did I mention I got my new Maui Jim sunglasses in time for the race? (Mine had been stolen at stormalong bay in August and the cheaper ones I got to replace them just didn't cut it with the sun or on how they fit). I even had the girl at the kiosk tighten them! Interestingly, they are much looser on my face than the other pair. I guess my face really has lost some of its roundness! :teeth:

zoegirl
12-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Speaking of speed. That is a haunting issue. I have been thinking about pace all day. I know I can finish with a smile on my face at 4:30, I think I can finish with a (forced) smile on my face at 4:15. I want to finish at 4:10. I'm trying to come to grips with myself today. Maybe its just the IC getting way too itchy with all of this tapering. Plus its been so long since I've done an LR on the road that I feel like I don't even know what my pace is anymore. Oh the stress and strain of it all :crazy:

I understand how you feel. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could finish my last marathon in less than 5 hours. For me a 4:30 would be fabulous. But I'd be ok with a 4:45 too. Basically it would be better than the last two years. So you can understand how mad I was at myself for not drinking during the Charlotte race and I came in at 5:13. I keep telling myself all I have to do is run 11s the first half then 12s the second and I'll break 5. My wish is that I'll feel like a million bucks and run 9s the first half then 10s the second, but that's just a wish. :wizard:
Here's what you need to be sure of: 1) don't skip the drinking. Especially if it's going to be a little warm. You won't believe how much this takes a toll on the body. I know I didn't until I actually experienced it.
2) go ahead and be prepared to not run for a few minutes at the start. When the gun goes off you will probably walk across the start line. Make your way over to the side and run around some folks once you cross the start. This is a huge race and there will be tons of people to make your way around, even if you are in a higer corral. Try not to start off fast b/c you will wear out quicker if you do. This is hard b/c you will be excited. Other than that just keep plugging away at the miles, and have fun. This truly is a fun race, especially for those of us "dis freaks" like my DFIL likes to call us. I hope you finish in the time you want Sunny. I have all confidence that you will. You're a pretty determined chick! :)

~bree~

MelRhoads
12-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Colleen- Fuel belt makes a race number belt. It is easy to attach your # and you don't need pins. You can just strap it on and it won't matter which shirt you are wearing.

Sara - I am planning on packing next wed. We leave on thurs (i have no idea what time!) That is so pityful isn't it! Do you usually run in shorts on the TM? I was planning on shorts for both races and just having an outer jacket that i can tie to finish when i get warm. What did you wear last year and how was the temp?

Speaking of wearing, I know all you planners are already packed, but I can't figure out what to wear. I'm thinking shorts, running tank and jacket? Does that sound good? I got some new CW-x tights for Christmas, but I'm afraid my legs will get HOT! (All runners have hot legs, right :rotfl2:) What did you guys race in last year and was it comfortable? I will have to plan and pack eventually!

msblrobs
12-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Mel - I wore shorts and a singlet for the full and I was fine. However, it was an unusually warm start. I know a lot of people had problems with the heat. I normally run in shorts and that's what I plan on wearing for both races. I am still unsure of my top half yet...most likely a sports bra, singlet and a long-sleeve throw away shirt.

Best of luck packing the night before. Man, are you brave. I'm sure I'll have more than enough extra 'gear' if you happen to forget something.

plutosmyfav
12-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I hope you finish in the time you want Sunny. I have all confidence that you will. You're a pretty determined chick! :)

~bree~

THanks Bree, you're the best :hug:

I am definitely wearing shorts even if its 30 deg to start. I think I will do a throw away jacket. You can throw them on the the course, right? (well not on the course but somewhere to the side once you are on the course?).

I need to inform Dx that he must carry his allotted carryon, but there will be no room for his clothes in it. I'm also tempted to ask him to wear a giant fanny pack as his "personal belonging" and he can stuff his underwear in there. (He is NOT a fanny pack sort of guy). Then, if all that goes over, I'll ask him to bring his allotted carryon back home with him filled with my stinky race gear. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: Then I'll strap a giant fanny pack on DS as well. We'll make it all carryon one way or another...

As for planning, I'm only planning through Sunday 10AM-ish. The rest will be "TBD".

MelR-- no tummy troubles yet? Looks like your safe :wizard: Phew, good thing you were proactive with the milkshakes :rotfl:

Sunny

keenercam
12-29-2005, 05:24 PM
okay, all this talk of shorts is making me nervous. Then again, I am ONLY walking the 1/2. Maybe I won't be too hot in my light pants (kind of like yoga pants). Then again, I think I will pack my bike shorts and will try to stretch my WISH shirt enough to provide some serious coverage, just in case I decide to show myself in public in bike shorts and an oversized tee! :rotfl2:

TiffJ
12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Well I have my travelers checks, the car is washed and it is time to actually put some stuff in a suitcase :Pinkbounc

I also have some new music for my MP3. We have a CD store here that sells used CD's & if you bring them back the next day(after copying them) you only pay $1. I'm sure it's highly illegal , they advertise it as "downloading sucks" so it is their full intent that you copy them. Anyway- I got 3 CD's J. Lo, Britney Spears & Gwen Stefani. Getting ready to work on the playlist now.

I took another day off from exercise. I am almost feeling 80% better, so I figured 1 more day off would do me better in the long run.

My eating has been horrible lately. At least I haven't gained any weight. Don't need anything extra to carry over the finish line.

I cannot believe it is so close :earseek: This is getting very exciting!

I am wearing shorts, it heats up quickly in FL when that sun comes out. I would love to wear my capris because they are more comfy but I am too hot natured to risk that.

Cam-I was considering wearing bike shorts. My WISH shirt is long enough to cover my gut. However when you add the waist pack :scared1: Do not need a picture of that! I'm so proud of how good you've done on the eating front.

I can't wait to meet everyone!!! It's going to be hard for me to leave & get to bed at a decent time.

solotraveler
12-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi everyone!

Glad I'm not the only one starting to sweat some of the small stuff. :)

Thanks for all the packing tips. There are definately items on that list that I would have completely forgotten ;) I'm hoping to have a big packing extravaganza right after New Years since I leave on the 4th. I finally purchased my park tickets, so with the hotel room paid off and the flights booked-- there's no turning back now!

Today I did 4 miles in 37:26.91. I guess my body like that pace, since that's almost exactly how fast I went on Monday.

Sadly, I don't have the time to reply to everyone's postings right now (off to a dinner thing), but everyone sounds like they are doing great.

Won't be long now!

wtpclc
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
I would like to proudly annouce taht I have not missed a run since teh 20-miler, including not opening presents from dh CHristmas EVe so we could do our 10-miler.

You guys are stressing me out now. I want to start a pile of things ot pack int eh guest room, but we are supposed to have guests in the next few days, provided the ILs are not mad at us. Who knows. :rolleyes:

The snow melted CHirstmas eve and I am praying aht we will have clear pavement until we leave. I do not want to get hurt now!

:wizard: to everyone that we don't get sick!! I've been taking airborne once a day and will increas when we get ready for the plane ride. I've never been so paranoid!

FYI - I ran teh 20-miler in a sleeveless WISH shirt, no alterations that was a bit snug. No chafing.

Keep the taper alll!

Tiger Lily 03
12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
MelR, pinning the # on the belt. Hmmm that might be the answer. Will have to check me out on that one.

Shorts and t-shirt will be my plan. If it is going to be as hot as this past January, it will be sleevless and not the WISH shirt. It was hot for me and I only did the half. (May even have to shed to the jog bra, but then there will be NO pics! :rotfl: eek!) I am hoping for a bit cooler, but not cold.

Cam, the light pants will probably be ok I think. Love your meal report!

Didn't do anything physical today. Stood in line for 45 minutes behind some coughing child at a wake waiting for my turn to say goodbye to a friend. Very sad. He just retired a few days and is gone. The worst part is he is my age. Hope I didn't get germies from the young hacking thing in front of me. Sigh.

perfectmatch300
12-30-2005, 12:19 AM
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: PD to everyone to stay germ free and injury free! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Even though I have no reason to taper right now, I feel like I have joined you in tapering anyway! Too much food and inconsistent exercise! Guess I am practicing for next year this time! From reading everyone's posts, I really do feel your excitement and I am determined to be a part of the 2007 half. I am looking foprward to seeing all of you at Trails End. I am sure that will go a long way to boost my motivation.

akasleepingbeauty
12-30-2005, 12:36 AM
It is great to see everyone getting so ready for our races next week. I haven't started packing yet but will this weekend. The hardest part will be packing without worrying about all the stuff I generally need for the kids. I imagine I'll be looking for things to stuff in my suitcase if I don't have theirs to take up so much space :)

I had quite an adventure during my 8 mile LW on Tuesday. I was on my last mile and was attacked by a dog. Luckily he did not bite me but he did knock me off my feet and I fell hard on the sidewalk/bike trail. I bruised up my left knee and both my hands were scraped and bruised. My right shoulder is a bit sore but all in all I was very lucky to escape so lightly and hope that is my only close call so close to the race!

Can't wait to see everyone next week!

chimera
12-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I feel like I've loaded enough glycogen this past week to run two Goofys :rolleyes:

I just have 5 little miles to do either today or tomorrow. :)

I was thinking that the next new thread I post will be the last one before the races :earseek:
When's everyone leaving for WDW? I'm wondering if our post counts will drop dramatically next week. We leave late Thursday night.

I just can't believe it's almost here...a whole year of training, planning, working toward this unbelievable goal and it's finally only days away.

Pinning the race number on the waist pack sounds like a fab idea! Thanks, Mel!

And whoever mentioned packing the water bottle, that's one I had forgotten so thanks for the reminder!

MelRhoads
12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I just had a discouraging last LR! My stomach cramped the whole time!!!! Anyway, my pace was slower than it should have been for an 8 mile run. If I did that pace for hte race i'd be happy, but not for 8 miles and a week of tapering! I guess I just need to remind myself that each day is different! the last LR was better than this one. I also got up really early (YUCK) and i didn't go through my morning routine b/4 i ran, b/c i wanted to be back in time for phil to leave for work.

I did get to see the sunrise :sunny: :sunny: and the aches and pains that i have had were gone. They are usually there from the start of a run to the finish so the rest was probably good in that way!

Rhonda - that is terrible. I'm glad that you didn't get bitten! I hope you heal quickly!

Honeibee
12-30-2005, 10:06 AM
That's what I feel like. You guys are all going and I'm staying home watching. Well, watching my cell phone anyway. :flower:

I'm so excited for all of you, and I am studying all your posts and packing lists and game plans and tapering.

Who needs a personal trainer!?! I've got you guys! :teeth:

On a less enthusiastic note, I could NOT get out of bed this morning to get on the TM. Then I got really angry with myself. :guilty: I'll be leaving work early today so I'll do it this afternoon. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I don't know if I mentioned this but I am in the begining stages of Lupus and some days are hard. I guess this must be one of those days.

Anyway, onward and upward! Maybe I'll watch Golden Girls while I'm on the TM. That always makes me happy! :goodvibes

Minnie
12-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,

My computer crashed last week so I've been off the internet. Very frustrating :rolleyes:

Honibee and PerfectMatch - I'm like both of you. Due to an injury that happened several months into the training I will also not be able to run in the WDW 1/2 marathon this year :guilty: I have been reading and spreading :wizard: when I can though for all of these wonderful people that helped me get off the couch and out on the road.

My best to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoegirl
12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
morning!

I did my last taper run this morning. Around 8 miles. DFIL came over and we just ran. No route, we just ran and watched the time. It was kinda fun.
The sun was beautiful coming up. I'm not a morning person but I love being up and running in the early morning. I feel like I have the roads to myself.

I bought my new shoes last night to run in this morning. I figured I would run the 1/2 in my older shoes and the whole in my new shoes.
Hopefully that will turn out to be a good thing.

It's looking like the weather will be in the low 60s for us next weekend. I have to say I'm a little discouraged by that. I got so chaffed last year in the heat, I really didn't want to wear shorts this year, but it's looking like I might need to since it will be a little on the warm side. BUT still not as hot as last year so that something to be thankful for. AANNNNDDD I can wear my cool lime green short sleeved shirt for the whole. I'm wearing my W.I.S.H. shirt for the half.

Honibee - girl I am very impressed by you! The fact that you are getting out there and excersising is so great. Many people with your condition would just sit back and feel sorry for themselves, or let the pain be their excuse to not excersise. You seem to embrace life, and are so positive. YOU GO GIRL!!!

must get to work now :guilty: I SO rather be at WDW!

~bree~

Honeibee
12-30-2005, 11:08 AM
morning!

I did my last taper run this morning. Around 8 miles. DFIL came over and we just ran. No route, we just ran and watched the time. It was kinda fun.
The sun was beautiful coming up. I'm not a morning person but I love being up and running in the early morning. I feel like I have the roads to myself.

I bought my new shoes last night to run in this morning. I figured I would run the 1/2 in my older shoes and the whole in my new shoes.
Hopefully that will turn out to be a good thing.

It's looking like the weather will be in the low 60s for us next weekend. I have to say I'm a little discouraged by that. I got so chaffed last year in the heat, I really didn't want to wear shorts this year, but it's looking like I might need to since it will be a little on the warm side. BUT still not as hot as last year so that something to be thankful for. AANNNNDDD I can wear my cool lime green short sleeved shirt for the whole. I'm wearing my W.I.S.H. shirt for the half.

Honibee - girl I am very impressed by you! The fact that you are getting out there and excersising is so great. Many people with your condition would just sit back and feel sorry for themselves, or let the pain be their excuse to not excersise. You seem to embrace life, and are so positive. YOU GO GIRL!!!

must get to work now :guilty: I SO rather be at WDW!

~bree~

:blush: Ohhhh, thank you. To be quite honest, my real motivation are my "girls". I'm so afraid of something happening to me and then who would take care of an old retired horse and arthritic cat? Well, I guess DH would, as best he could.

Anyway, Thanks! :goodvibes

chimera
12-30-2005, 01:42 PM
The last LR is officially history. 5 miles at a 14:00 pace! :cool1: It was 70 degrees, so even I went out in shorts and short-sleeves. I've actually tossed a pair of shorts into the bag, just in case it's warm enough next weekend. ;)

I've made a large lime green sign for Trails End so we can all find each other!

We're almost there!

And it looks like the 2007 team is shaping up nicely! I'll be registering as soon as we get back from '06.

goofyguy1958
12-30-2005, 01:51 PM
I just had a discouraging last LR! My stomach cramped the whole time!!!! Anyway, my pace was slower than it should have been for an 8 mile run. If I did that pace for hte race i'd be happy, but not for 8 miles and a week of tapering! I guess I just need to remind myself that each day is different! the last LR was better than this one. I also got up really early (YUCK) and i didn't go through my morning routine b/4 i ran, b/c i wanted to be back in time for phil to leave for work.

I did get to see the sunrise :sunny: :sunny: and the aches and pains that i have had were gone. They are usually there from the start of a run to the finish so the rest was probably good in that way!

Rhonda - that is terrible. I'm glad that you didn't get bitten! I hope you heal quickly!

Hey MelRhoads, I prefer to look at this as a very, very good sign. You are supposed to be on the tapper which means SLOW down and reduce your milage not just reduce the milage. You have built the fitness now you are simply letting your body know how it feels to keep moving. Enjoy the rest and remember that a walk/run of a thousand miles always starts with one step. :sunny:

princessmomma
12-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey MelRhoads, I prefer to look at this as a very, very good sign.:

I was just about to say the same thing! I would be a little frightened if I cranked out a PB for a long run right now. I want to keep it for the race! :wave2:

By the way, I am really antsy, can't wait for my 6-8 miler tomorrow! Nice and slooowwww.

Colleen

littlegreydonkey
12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Orlando weather update: this morning 45 degrees, up to about 70 this afternoon. bring the winter woolies girls just in case. Can't stop got about 1 min left in hotel - hope everyone good, I'm tapering beautifully (that's code for Helen can't be bothered to run far!!). See you soon: H

plutosmyfav
12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi All,

Did my FINAL run today :cool1: 8 miles real slow, lots of walking. I'm feeling a TINY bit queazy, not liking that idea one bit!

PLUS, last night for no apparent reason I decided to try on my sausage shorts and take a good long look in the mirror :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: I went out in public in these things???? I really wish I didn't look. I will probably get dressed in the dark on race day and I wouldn't have been the wiser. But now I have that image seared into my brain. I just may wear a pair of loose light shorts over the top. I think I'm going to go with one of my tried and true running tanks for the race (its lime green at least). I am stressing too much over the shirt.

Honibee-- imagine where'd they'd be if Houston wasn't at home taking care of them :cheer2: Next year will be your turn!!!!!!

Sunny

keenercam
12-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi, everyone. Not sure how to bring myself to say this, but I am not sure we will be making it to Orlando. Howard is in the hospital after a very painful night. I haven't slept since about 1:15 a.m. so I am more than a little weepy right now.

Howard found out last week that he has a kidney stone and he saw the urologist yesterday to go over the results. The doctor told him it is about the size of a gumball -- impossible to pass and will have to be surgically broken down with many days of pain and bleeding afterwards as his body gets rid of the fragments. They might even have to do a second procedure to break down the pieces even smaller. We had hoped to schedule it for the week of 1/9, but he woke up in excruciating pain at about 1:15 am and we were in the ER several hours later. They have admitted him and are keeping him totally sedated because they can't manage his pain otherwise. The stone moved down in his left kidney and is blocking the ureter, shutting down that kidney's operation. The kidney is swollen with fluid that he can't pass right now and they have to keep giving him IV fluids because he was dehydrated. They are also giving him dilaudid for the pain and phenargen for the nausea. He projectile vomited this afternoon (he had been vomiting all night) and there was blood in it. No one has any idea what that is from. The plan is to surgically insert a stint from the kidney to the bladder tomorrow, both to empty it and to keep the stone away from the opening where the ureter goes to the kidney. If the procedure works and he is comfortable enough, he may be able to go to Orlando, though there is no half-marathon in his near future. The doctor was so regretful and compassionate. Like Sunny's experience, I was pleased to have the doctor and nurse acknowledge certain test indicators of an athlete. When he is conscious, I will tell him about that and it will make him smile. He must have said 5 times today in moments of lucidity, that he just can't believe this.

I don't know for definite the game plan for next week yet, but his doctor said his objectives are (1) manage pain; (2) preserve kidney function; and (3) get Howard to a point where he can get on a plane Thursday morning, even if he is totally drugged with pain killers and medication for the spasms the stint will cause.

Your prayers would be greatly appreciated. Seeing him in that much pain last night and today totally put everything in perspective. But there is still a selfish voice inside me wanting to drag him onto a plane even if he sits in a wheelchair at the finish line to cheer me on. I'm such a jerk. Thanks for eveything, guys. :grouphug:

MelRhoads
12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Cam - I am so sorry to hear about Howard. You guys are both in my prayers.

Jodi
12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Cam - I am so sorry to hear about Howard, I hope the pain subsides & he heals quickly. I don't even know you, but I feel that my experience @ the 1/2 won't be the same without you there. I pray for the best possible scenario. I'm real sad right now, & you're right, things like this put life in perspective. My best to both of you.

Jodi

TEK224
12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Cam - So sorry to hear about Howard. :sad1:

I hope he's feeling better real soon. :grouphug: and :wizard: for the both of you.

Terri

Calcio
12-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Cam

You're not being selfish, so don't even think that. I hope Howard gets better and you both can enjoy some sun and relaxation and you can make it to the starting line.

Craig

wtpclc
12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Cam - As I said in my pm, you have worked sooo hard for this! I want to add that Howard would want you to go through with the race if he was able to think clearly. I'm guessing that as soon as he is, he will tell you. Lots and lots of prayers going out to you 2 and his doctors/surgeons.

chimera
12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Cam... :grouphug: :wizard: for you both! Keep us informed on what happens! We sure hope to see you both in Orlando. You're not being selfish. I'm sure Howard would understand your feelings. He's been along for the run with you and everything you've been through this year. I'm sure he knows how much this means to you.

Tiger Lily 03
12-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Cam, :hug: I am so sorry to hear your news. Hope that this all works out and Howard will be on his way to healing quickly. Yes, he would want you to participate. Get through this part first though. Prayers to all involved that everything goes as it should. A wheel chair and sunshine might be just the thing for him.
:sunny:

Lisa loves Pooh
12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Cam--I hope it all works out for the best!!! Good thoughts for Howard!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
12-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I have another weird question. I just can't get a handle on my appetite and am looking for more advice (I know there are only 8 days left, but I will go right into training to run a 5 mile race after the 1/2, so I should figure this out). Here is my issue:
This morning I left the house at 6:30 to go to the Y and stopped and got a snickers marathon bar and a 24 oz bottle of water. I ate the bar immediately and started drinking water. I did 30 minutes on a bike at about 85 rpm (not very fast) and then 30 minutes on the treadmill (14:51 pace) and finished about 20 oz water in the interim, all by about 7:50.

Came to work, got a shower and at about 9:15 am was finally in my office, where I ate a pretty substantial bagel w/cream cheese. By 11:30 I was ravenous. It is bizarre. My stomach is growling and I have been downing the water (another 25 oz) and have had 2 cups of coffee, too. I cannot eat the way my body is demanding food, but I can't stand feeling so hungry, either.

For lunch, I have a green salad w/fat free dressing and will add 2 hard boiled eggs to it. What else should I do? Should I maybe get some grilled chicken? Or should I eat some carbs? :confused3

You have to eat pretty much immediately after your workout. Within the first 20 minutes (posted this in the part about nutrition a while back--may be in the FAQ even). I think what happens is that once you leave that window--your body's ability to replenish what it lost in a quick manner diminishes---leaving that ravenous feeling later on as your body is trying to get what it can from all you are giving it.

In your example above--your snickers bar provided the energy to get through your workout---but you didn't do anything to restore what else you lost aftewards.

You need to eat following the conclusion of your workout for just the purpose of restoring glycogen--and then pick up with actual breakfast at work or whenever. With a post workout refuel (be it a banana or whatever)---then your bagel breakfast at work....you most likely would not have had that ravenous feeling.

Also make sure that the post workout snack has some protein. We are big on PB&J around here.

Lisa loves Pooh
12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Me too :rotfl2: I've been so psyched at the cool temps (current jan 6 is listed as 45/66 degF) and then it dawned on me that we won't be swimming :cold: DS will be quite disappointed. Although, DD and I went swimming at night when it was 45 degF one December (the pools are heated) so we'll see...

Hey--this Florida Girl plans on hopping in the pool after the half--and she's bringing her kids with her!!!

The pools are heated (as I like to say--to prevent hypothermia--not create a warm bath :teeth: :cold: ).

Lisa loves Pooh
12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
T
Race question- those bags they give you to put your stuff in on race morning. how early do you have to turn those in? I was thinking I could put my pants in there before the race starts & have a disposable jacket. Looking at the weather I should be fine starting the race in shorts but I'm sure at 3:30 I will need something on my legs.

Save your bag for post race stuff--they do have a cut off time for turning it in, I do not recall what it is though.

For pre-race warmth--bring throwaway clothes.

Just checked and the bags must be checked in by 5am.

Something to consider--you do not want to waste your body energy by trying to keep warm (via shivering!!!) for even 1 minute. So 1 hour is definitely too long to be in just shorts or whatever race gear you will be wearing alone when it is the 50s or below.

I will be hitting good will when I return to Florida on Wednesday for my toss away clothes.

Disney collects them and launders them for donations--even if you slice them and duct tape them (so they become actual tear away clothes).

TiffJ
12-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Cam- I am soooo sorry to hear about Howard. You guys are in my thoughts & prayers. everyone is right, you are not being selfish. You have worked a long time for this & it is a big deal. I think Howard will agree. I do hope they are able to get him better. Here's :wizard: for getting through the next couple of days :grouphug: (also, you were one of the big inspirations to get me to do this, I really want to meet you)

Lisa-Thanks, got my throwaway pants. They are athletic pants I got for $5 at Wal Mart. Also had to remind my mom. Since she doesnt come on these boards , she didn't even know what throwaway pants were :rotfl2: And I would like to see someone try to keep DS out of the pool next week. Good thing he's old enough for me to sit on the side & watch now. :cold:

Helen-thanks for checking in. Everytime I think I have figured out what to pack the weather changes. Guess I'll just bring everything we own for each season & be done with it :goodvibes

Well today I will do 5 miles & that will be it before I leave in the weeeee hours of the morning on Monday. We are driving so the earlier we leave the earlier I get to DTD. (after checkin, its routine no matter what time we get in town to go to DTD)

I just remembered that today is New Year's Eve. Wow-totally haven't even thought about that. :earseek: Guess my priorities are somewhere else right now.

plutosmyfav
12-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Cam,

You and Howard are in my prayers and will be all day and night. I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can't even imagine what all you are feeling right now, but don't think negatively of yourself for any feelings, they are natural and you are in a most difficult situation.

:grouphug: Sunny

Minnie
12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Unlurking to send Cam as much :wizard: as possible during this time. You are definitely NOT being selfish. It is perfectly normal to think about something you have worked so long and so hard for. I sincerely believe that Howard would want YOU at the starting line even if he has to remain at home.

Do what it best for you in the long run. Just know that you are in all of your thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!

msblrobs
12-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Cam - my thoughts and prayers are with you and Howard for a quick resolution of the pain and the problem. Just do what you need to do for him now and try not to worry about the rest. It'll all come together for you when the time comes, I'm sure. :grouphug:

MickeySP
12-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery.

You are not selfish to want him there, I am sure he really want sto be there also.

princessmomma
12-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Cam, prayers and hugs to you and Howard, I know how emotionally and physically draining it is to go through something like this, but you are one strong lady! Howard is lucky to have you by his side. :hug:

Colleen

perfectmatch300
12-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Cam, so sorry to hear your newa about Howard. My thoughts and prayers will be with both of you, along with best wishes for Howard's speedy recovery. Hope you are both able to make it here to Orlando. I have been looking forward to meeting you. Howard's recovery is most important though, and I am sure you will not want to leave his side until you are sure he will be OK, I just hope for both of you that he is well enough to make the trip. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new years eve. We did our celebrating one day early in MK last night. Park was open to all until 1 AM with extra magic hours till 4 AM for hotel guests. All I can say is that after all the walking and other exercise we did yesterday, I think I now understand why you big dogs soak in a cold bath after your workouts! :earseek: By the time we finally got home and got to bed, my legs were killing me! I'm pretty sure if I could have gotten myself out of bed and into the tub I would have felt a whole lot better. I never quite understood before why anyone would want to do a cold soak, but I think I get it now!

plutosmyfav
12-31-2005, 02:41 PM
A while back there were alot of posts of motivational lyrics. I want to add this one. This song had so much meaning on my 22 miler. Even though physically I was only about 3.5 miles from home and runing in place on a TM, I definitely felt like I had never been so far away:

KAISER CHIEFS LYRICS

"Oh My God"

Time on your side that will never end
The most beautiful thing you can ever spend
But you work in a shirt with your nametag on it
Drifting apart like a plate tectonic
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
It's a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar
Too much time spent dragging the past up
I didn't see you not looking when I messed up
Settling down in your early twenties
Sucked more blood than a backstreet dentist
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
It's a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar
Oh my god, I can't believe it
I've never been this far away from home
And Oh my, god I can't believe it
Great rulers make for greater glory
The only thing growing is our history
Knock me down I'll get right back up again
I'll come back stronger than a powered up Pac-Man
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
Is a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar

solotraveler
12-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh Cam- I'm so sorry to hear about Howard and his medical issues. You are absolutely NOT being selfish for still wanting to complete the race-- you've worked so very hard.

Lots and lots of :wizard: headed your way!

All my best-

TEK224
12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I've been pretty calm about the race so far. Nervous, but in a good, anticipating, kind of way.
Now that I'm starting to pack - I'm stressing big time! :crazy:

I'm not sure what I'm gonna wear. I have the clothes for the race, but what to wear while waiting for the race to start. I only have one Good Will store near me and they rarely have anything in my size (that I could use for "throwaway" clothes). I've been trying to clean out my closets, so I figured I could take some sweatshirts I don't really wear much anymore and then throw them on the side (since Disney will collect and donate them anyway) I'd only donate them up here, so it wouldn't really matter.
My waistpack (with water bottle holder) got damaged and I need a new one. Gonna try to get one on Monday. Saw one at Sports Authority I kinda liked.
Thought about taking my backpack (it's one of those mesh jersey types - very lightweight) to carry extra Snickers Marathon bars and a couple water bottles for the marathon (I should be ok for the half). I used the jersey bag on some of my training walks (including the 13 miler) and it didn't cause me any problems.

It's raining here so I'm not going out for my scheduled SW. May ride bike trainer instead. Have to be in work at 6:30am tomorrow and then go to the football game late afternoon.
Sorry to ramble, but right now there are a million "what if's" running through my head.
Think I'll take a deep breath and have a cup of hot chocolate to slow everything down. :)

Happy New Year everybody.
Terri

NCRedding
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
At the expo, they had people selling the tearaway shirt and pants for something like $5 a piece. We didn't need them, since the weather was fairly warm at the start, but I saw several people who had them.

Tiger Lily 03
12-31-2005, 08:18 PM
If you don't have clothes, bring a toss out blanket. That might work until the start of the race.

(Add a pillow to that and I'll find ya and wake ya up as we get notice to go through the gate!)
:teeth:

chimera
12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Come join us for a new week! This is it, folks!

Race week!!--Wk of Jan 1--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=11006929#post11006929)