PDA

View Full Version : Question about cookies from cake mixes

DisneyArk
12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I made the cookies from a cake mix. I used the yellow cake mix and rolled it in sugar and cinnamon. They taste great!

My question is did anyone else's cookies turn out completely flat?? Mine are completely flat, like a cracker. I was wondering if I did something wrong.

My family likes the cookies, but they are calling them sand dollars! :rotfl:

Thanks! :flower:

Mom2Ashli
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I made the cookies from a cake mix. I used the yellow cake mix and rolled it in sugar and cinnamon. They taste great!

My question is did anyone else's cookies turn out completely flat?? Mine are completely flat, like a cracker. I was wondering if I did something wrong.

My family likes the cookies, but they are calling them sand dollars! :rotfl:

Thanks! :flower:

I made some too. But mine were nice a puffy. :confused3

DisneyArk
12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the reply. I guess something must have gone wrong. Maybe I'll try again another day!

PoohBearLovinMama
12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Mine were nice a puffy too until I stacked them up. Then they were flat as a pancake. LOL, they still tasted good!

Mom2Ashli
12-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I put them on a wire rack to cool. And than put them in a air tight container and they are still puffy.

lewdyan1
12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
flat but tasty here!

GrayFal
12-21-2005, 05:00 PM
My chocolates that I added 3 T of cocoa and chocolate chips....and my yellow that I added some cinnamin and powdered sugar to - are both 'fluffy'.

My Lemon mix that I added nothing to are very flat ....I will probably ice them as I am not as crazy for them as the others - also, that was an 'older' box of cake mix thatI had hanging around.

Glynis
12-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Mine are always flat, but my kids still eat them. If I make any other kind of cookie, they pretty much turn their noses up at them. They prefer the cake mix kind. Thanks to the Dis, I have so many variations to try, that they are not getting sick of them.

left210
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I have never made these cookies but I have had a similar experience with an older box of cake mix. Had your cake mix been sticking around for a while?

Imzadi
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
I think it also depends on how much you mix/stir it. According to Tyler Florence on Food TV, he says almost all flour products create gluten the more you mix it. Gluten makes for tough, chewy & flat items.

DisneyArk
12-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. :goodvibes Actually I bought my cake mix on Monday. Hopefully it wasn't old.

I think the problem might have been beating it too much. I used the electric mixer. I use it when I make cakes and so I automatically used it (since this was a cake mix). That was probably the problem. My cookies are tough.

I enjoy cooking, but I'm not very intuitive about it! I should have known not to over mix because I love watching Alton Brown (Food Network) and he frequently warns about that. :teeth:

I'm making more cookies today and hopefully they will turn out better! Thanks for your help. :flower: