PDA

View Full Version : For those DISers that have cars.

MuNkY
12-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm facing a tough choice soon. You see, Dodge canceled the Neon, and are replacing it with an AWSOME sort of mini-SUV thing called the Caliber. It has a new, I guess very fuel efficent 4-cylinder engine. 4WD is standard, and it's like, $14,000, after adding on a thousand for what will be needed A/C, because for some reason it's not a standard feature. :rolleyes:

Now this thing comes out next month, and I'm getting my licence in October, and my mom is giving me her Kia once she's paid it off, in roughly a year, (so like January 2007, about three months after I get my licence). Now her Kia is a good, dependable car. Fairly new, but somewhat high milage. She hasn't had too many problems with it, except for a tire problem, which is because of Florida roads, so once it's up here it wouldn't be a problem, and a problem where the car kind of shakes...but that seems to be fixed. Best thing about it would be that it's free.

Now here is what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about getting a job once I get back from Florida over the summer, and saving up enough for a down payment on this new Caliber. I'm thinking it would be more practical for me, seeing at not only does it look cool, but the fuel efficency and the 4WD would REALLY help me out. Especially the 4WD, with the winters up here. Now I'm sure I would still end up with the Kia, and I would probably sell that for a few thousand, (probably to my dad sence he is in desperate need of a new car), and help pay off the Caliber a little.

I don't think insurance would be much of a problem, seeing as it is only a 4-cylinder with 140 HP. I'm guessing it would be kind of like insuring a Neon.

So my question to all of you is, what do you think I should do?

Princess Ash
12-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Ummmm :confused3 I'm kinda spoiled...so my parents bought me a car...and they pay for everything...granted...I hardly ever ever drive...so it's really their car neways. Point being...that was slightly confusing...so I dunno.

I'd say make a practical choice...something realistic. Because if you set your goals too high and don't end up with a car (say cuz like, u sold the KIA) ...you're going to be very sorry...

But hey, whaddo I know? Lol :confused3

MuNkY
12-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Ummmm :confused3 I'm kinda spoiled...so my parents bought me a car...and they pay for everything...granted...I hardly ever ever drive...so it's really their car neways. Point being...that was slightly confusing...so I dunno.

I'd say make a practical choice...something realistic. Because if you set your goals too high and don't end up with a car (say cuz like, u sold the KIA) ...you're going to be very sorry...

But hey, whaddo I know? Lol :confused3
Well, if I sold the Kia, it would go to my dad, so it would still be there. Plus I honestly think it would be practical. I would have my mom, my step-dad, maybe my dad, probably my grandma, and I to help pay for the Dodge.

I dunno. Thats why I'm asking all of you. :rotfl:

AllyGirlie
12-19-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Ash..my parents bought my car for me and they pay for everything (at least until I get a job after we come back from FL). My opinion would be just to stick with the Kia. Get a job and save up your money for a while then decide. Make sure it's what you really want, because if do buy the other car and it doesn't work out, you could end up with some big problems..

MuNkY
12-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Some pics of the Dodge.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/munky_64/dodge-caliber3.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/munky_64/dodge-caliber1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/munky_64/caliber2.jpg

I guess it's roughly a bit bigger than the Neon. :confused3

MuNkY
12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
I guess I should also add that I am planning on selling the Kia and getting something diffrent anyway.:confused3

My mom hates the car, and I'm enough like her that I can see myself not liking it too much either.

2HOT2touch
12-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I say keep the kia untill you get enough money so you are sure you can afford the car and the insurance and you never know you could want a different car by then anyway. But I would deffinately save your money cuz it will be your first car and you don't want a new car as your first car, a used car is much more practical for a first car.

AllyGirlie
12-20-2005, 08:29 PM
To be frank, where are you planning to get a job that will pay that kind of money? You're talking about paying for a brand new car, insurance, registration and all the other fees you may come into. And don't assume your family will help pay.. In my opinion, I still say you stick with the Kia

MuNkY
12-20-2005, 09:01 PM
To be frank, where are you planning to get a job that will pay that kind of money? You're talking about paying for a brand new car, insurance, registration and all the other fees you may come into. And don't assume your family will help pay.. In my opinion, I still say you stick with the Kia
You dont' need to be a millionare to make a 200, heck even a 150 or so payment every month. I mean, it's replacing the NEON!!!! Not the most expensive car on the market. :confused3 Heck I could do that mowing people's grass. A lot of times places have no down payments now. Sure Registration and insurance would kill me, but read what's below.

And my family has promised me they would help. I might actually get it in writing. And with my mom making what she does, and buying me the stuff she does, I would gladly set that aside for some help.

Meh, just an idea.

AllyGirlie
12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that you need to be careful. Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you do go through with this venture, you are taking on a lot of responsiblity and like I said before, if it doesn't work out, you could run into some big problems..