PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Dec 18--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera
12-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

chimera
12-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Got my shirts! They're fabulous! Huge thanks to Sunny for designing and Carrie for pulling it all together. DH was worried about how he would spot me in the pack til he saw the shirt color ;)

Helen...I've packed your shirt in my marathon bag.

Speaking of shirts, found this link on the mcmillan site: http://www.runningbanana.com

They do custom shirts, but also have some designs of their own that are pretty cool. The ones I like: "pain is temporary, but finishing lasts forever", "got 13.1?" and "The amazing thing is not that I'm running a marathon...it's that I had the courage to start".

Pat...you're not doing too bad on pace...the pacing requirements say 2:58 by 10.2 though I think that includes the extra 10 min. And like you said, on race day, you'll be faster off the TM.

Jennifer... :wizard: for your toe...congrats on your pace!

Lisa...you've certainly had more than your share of happenings this training season. Hopefully, the next 3 weeks will pass uneventfully.

Frances...glad you dropped by...look forward to meeting you at Trail's End. Looks like you and Sunny are running in the same weather.

Krista...not such a good day for the Bucs yesterday, but it was so cool having 3 games to watch! Sad that the season's almost over already, though :sad1:

Ok...we still need a bunch of LR reports. It would be cool if everyone could check in, so even if you haven't posted in a while or never posted, just drop us a quick line to let us know how you're doing! We're almost there!

It's the TAPER da-ance! :dancer: The TAPER dance!

skfulkers
12-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey everybody! Figured I'd get my monthly post in. :)
Well, along with most everyone else, I'm done with the long LRs. Finished my 20-miler today in 3:17. Of course, that doesn't count the 5 minutes I took at the 10 mile mark to refill my water and powerade bottles, so it should actually be 3:22 (since I guess they won't stop the clock for me in Disney if I re-fill a water bottle :) ). The run was good, not my best, but I finished and that's all that matters.
I don't know how all you Goofys do it. When I finished today, I decided that there was absolutely no way I could have followed up this run with a 10 miler tomorrow or finished a 10 miler yesterday and run the 20 today. All I have to say is you guys are insane.
Good job to everyone finishing their LRs. I can't beileve how far we've all come.
Only one thing to say now.....TAPER!!! :cool1:

Steve

littlegreydonkey
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Morning marathonites - yippeee, looks like everyone's done it (albeit with bruises and bumps and truck achy legs). Lots of people posted so can only remember a few personal bits and bobs

Sunny - aw shucks, I must have written over 1000 features and eight books in the last 18 years - but no-one has ever called anything I've written profound before!!!!!

Mel - yep, truck achy legs completely normal, but oddly they are no worse after 22 miles as they are after 13, so no excuses for next year there!! And thanks for carrying my shirt, I'll pick it up at Trails End.

Whoever had blisters on their blisters - welcome to my world. And it IS sandal season here, I'm sure people just look at my feet and think 'please cover them up!!!'

Talking of Trails, what time are we meeting again. I know the reservations start at 4.30, but am I right in saying we're meeting at 4pm outside. Also, where is it!!!!! My disney books are v out of date so it's not in them! Do I get the boat from Magic Kingdom? I know it's weeks away, but we actually leave on Friday (your time) so got to get everything written in my little planning book as I may not get online after that.

Anyway, gotta go - but well done all. Helen

chimera
12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Helen...the boat from MK is the best way to get to Trail's End. You can take buses to Fort Wilderness, but that takes you to the front of the campground. You then have to take an internal Outpost bus to get to Trail's End. Best bet is to take the boat from MK (or WL or CR) to Fort Wilderness; Trail's End is not far from the boat dock, on the right near the playground and the Hoop De Do show.

wtpclc
12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi all! Back and somewhat situated again. After hearing aboutthe icey and cold L-LRs, I feel guilty. Please forgive me for what I am about to post.

16-miler Ave. Pace = 11:46 (Temp in teh 40s)
18-miler that was only 15.5 Ave. Pace = 13:11 (Freezingand nasty)
20- miler Ave. Pace = ...drumroll please.......11:11 (temp 44-48)

Woo hooo! We kept saying that we needed to slow down, but we did not feel like we were pushing that hard. Amazing what not watching every step (I looked down once around the 5 mile mark) and losing 10 pounds of clothing will do!!!!!

It was awesome! My legs did not tighten up until I hit 18 miles!! We felt way better than our 16-miler. I smiled most of the last 5, because I knew I would finished and I smiled the WHOLE last mile!!!!!!! If anyone knows lllovell, she found me the world's best bike path. Wll, it was all uphill oneway adn all down the most, but down was on teh way back. I wore my knew shirt!!! Took my sweatshirt off after about 3 or 4 miles and had bare legs and arms. A little shilly when against the wind but it felt sooo great!!! (We think we could have done 2 more!)

I'll take stonkers for the enxt 3 weeks as long as I can feel that good for teh marathon!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your support!! Huge congrats to those of you who completed your L-LRs in the snow and ice or on teh TM. You rock!!

Bigger ocngrats to the back-to-backers! You're amazing.

Happy beleated b-day to Helen!!!!

If anyone does not get their shirt Monday, let em know. I will track them. The were supposed to be 2 to 3 day delivery.

Woohoo! We're tapering!!!!!!!!

Tiger Lily 03
12-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey Team Mates!

I DID IT! I DID IT! YIPPEE!

Yesterday I did 10 miles on TM at minimum race pace. Today I set the TM for the same speed and did 21 miles at minimum race pace. Added 1 more mile as a cool down. Now, that 22nd mile was a stonker, but I DID IT!

By jove, I THINK I CAN DO IT!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

ETA: I meant I had the TM set to do the minimum speed I needed to "qualify" as a participant. I cannot run fast. But, nonetheless, I DID IT! I will be at the end, but I plan to be there and over!

keenercam
12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Carrie -- The shirts arrived while we were gone and it felt like Christmas today to find them in our mailbox when we got home. They are awesome! Thank you so much and thanks to Scott for helping you get them packed and mailed and thanks so much to Sunny and everyone who helped design them. They are really really awesome! I am really excited to be part of the group wearing them in less than 3 weeks!!!

Melissa -- I love the quote you posted on last week's thread. I will add that to my collection! Thank you. :hug:

Lily and Sunny -- I cannot believe you guys did those distances on the TM! I am blown away by your dedication and determination.

It is so inspiring to read about how everyone's long runs and long walks and back-to-backs went this weekend. The whole time I was doing my 10, I kept thinking about what you all were or would be doing and how exciting it would be to share our experiences with each other.

Okay, so about my LW -- We went to the state park only to find the track so iced over that we couldn't even take 3 steps on it (after I nearly broke my neck just stepping onto the track! :earseek: ). So, we drove home, bundled up, and went out through the neighborhoods. I wanted to kick Howard ;) -- he chooses these meandering courses with no concern for hills, etc. For example after one very prolonged uphill section, we ended up at the highest elevation point in Delaware! Then, he had us cutting through the Target parking lot through so much traffic and wall to wall cars, then through an icey parking lot and around the back of a shopping center into a new development that was a very messy construction zone. We were going through huge muddy sections, walking over and around lumber and wire and other debris. I was NOT a happy camper.

Howard had to peel off at 7.35 miles to pick up DS at school but I did the full ten in 2:36:21 which is a 15:38 pace. I was pleased with it. I was pretty achy all weekend, but not incapacitated by any stretch, thank God. Just glad it is over. Not sure yet of the impact it had on my mental preparedness, but I am sure it will sink in this week. While I am a pretty lazy person and more than willing to take it easy, I am scared to death of tapering and losing momentum and mental preparedness. All that and holiday eating could have a serious negative impact, so I am going to be counting on everyone to help me stay hyped and on track. :grouphug:

Have a great night, all!

TiffJ
12-18-2005, 09:34 PM
HI guys! I missed you :sunny:
I went to Mobile this weekend for Christmas with the folks. I got to do my 10 miler w/my mom (she's doing the 1/2 with me) It was great!!!!!! We ROCKED! And more importantly, we know we can do this without getting swept & without dying. We finished the 10 miles in 2:27 including warm up. Thats a 14:46 pace :Pinkbounc It goes by much faster when you do it with someone. I've been training by myself.

2 more weeks til I leave :bounce: I absolutely cannot wait for this!!!!

Guess what cool thing my mom has done now. We are big QVC junkies. Except for my wedding set, most of my jewelry comes from there. Last week they had a silver Mickey head necklace with diamonique (the worlds best simulated diamond :goodvibes ) I saw it right before I went out for my LR, hinted to DH but he didnt quite get it & they had sold out by the time I got back. Well mom ordered us both one and they are gorgeous. She was going to wait until the race to give it to me, but just couldn't. I prob won't take it off before then. She's awesome!

Cam-great job on the LR. I think I would have killed my DH for picking that route too. I made sure my course was fairly flat w/just a couple of hills. Don't you dare lose momentum. We are in the home stretch baby! No stopping us now. Besides, you are an endurance athlete , this is what you are trained to do :grouphug:

Lily-all I can say is AWESOME! You rock. I know you feel great to have that done & know you can do it.

Carrie-Glad you had a great trip & a great LR. Atlanta is pretty hilly. Would be hard to find a totally flat route.

Mel- I love that shirt "pain is temporary, finishing is forever" I may have to order that for my mom. She has done alot with me & for me to get me to this point.

Happy taper everyone! Thanks for getting me to this point & I cant wait till Trails End.

gatorphipps
12-18-2005, 10:12 PM
The ones I like: "pain is temporary, but finishing lasts forever", "got 13.1?" and "The amazing thing is not that I'm running a marathon...it's that I had the courage to start".
Love the shirt sayings! I have one kinda like that.....
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"......Bragging rights! That is why I do this, but you cannot have the bragging rights w/out the pain. Remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Congrats to all the LRs, LWs, Double LRs. We are better people b/c of them!
Christa

akasleepingbeauty
12-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Hello Everyone!

It is so great to hear such inspiring stories about everyone's LR/LWs. It is amazing to see how months of work are really culminating in awesome accomplishments!!

I did my longest LW last week (12/11). It was 10 miles in 2:28 for an overall pace of 14:51. I was very happy with this as it was the FIRST time I had ever trained outside. I was so nervous beforehand but it turned out great. I used my garmin, my ipod armband, and my waist pack all for the first time as well and had no problems with any of them. I did end up with a few blisters on my left foot but that was the only problem. I felt so relieved to have things work out well for so many miles and for my first time outside - it was a huge weight off my back to know I could do it.

This week I did 6.39 miles in 1:30:51 for an overall pace of 14:12. Woo hoo - a big increase in pace for me compared to last week. Both times I managed a good pace throughout rather than starting out too quickly and getting slower. I forgot to check my splits before entering last week's LW into history on my Garmin but did keep this week's so here they are:

15:43
12:23 (my fastest mile ever - I did jog quite a bit on this mile)
14:09
14:57
13:25
13:52
6:22 (last .39 mile)

So, except for my slow warm-up mile, it was a great LW for me and I so pleased with it. I felt great and I never in a million years would have thought 6 months ago that I would EVER say that doing 6 miles was EASY!

Thank you to everyone for keeping up the inspiring posts - it has been a huge influence on me and I know it will keep me going in less than 3 weeks on the BIG DAY!

MelRhoads
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
It is so exciting to hear from everyone after the LAST LR!!!! I had a very relaxing weekend and I probably won't run until Tuesday.

I cannot wait to get my shirt!

I wanted to kick Howard
Cam - You must have had some major leg energy left if you were wanting to use them to kick! :rotfl2:

Lily - You did great. You were like me, dreading it and then it was a huge success!!

Tiff - way to go. that is so wonderful that you are doing it w/ your mom. i begged mine to do a 1/2 w/ me and she just laughed!

Mel - Awesome job

Carrie - great pace! What a confidence builder. I'll bet you are really glad that you took the big plunge and got those tickets!

Boy needs to be prepped for bed (a process worthy being called XT)

perfectmatch300
12-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Wow, you guys are really doing great with your final LR's! Shows how well all that training is paying off for you!

Although I am still not at the point most of you are at, looking back over the past year I really can see improvement, albeit at my own very little pup level. I am looking forward tolonger walks/wogs and improved pace over the next year, and setting goals I would have never even deramed of trying beacuse you have shown me that it can be done. I can't wait to meet you at Trails End because you are my inspiration.

My one drawback at this point seems to be my right knee. I had thought my problem was my hip, but lately I have seen that the true cause is my knee. DR seems to think it may be a torn meniscus, we'll see more after the holidays. At this point it bothers me more when sitting than walking so that's good motivation to keep on walking in an odd sort of way. If it does turn out to be a meniscus tear, then I have Lisa's experience to fall back on. She's come back so far so quickly it gives me hope!

Enjoy your taper time. Marathon day will be here before you know it!

Wish I lived in Fl
12-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Received the shirt Friday- Thank you!

Bought my Half marathon walking sneakers today. We drove up to the New Balance outlet in Brighton,MA. It is pretty hard to find but worth it. They had a sales where if you donated a pair of used sneakers you could get 20% off new sneakers. DS and i donated the pairs we were wearing. The post about NBWeb express led me to the site and i read about lasts for the first time. I had to go to the outlet though because i need a mens 7 4E and that is a hard size to find. So knowing the last that was right for my foot let me narrow down the shopping to 3 pairs, two styles didn't have my size and voila, shopping was done. They look a little weird though i guess that is the new style, blocky with no cut ins at the sides.

I also bought Bodyglide,new socks and the softest shorts.DH bought two pirs 9.5 4E, DS bought 8.5 4E, DD got youth 12.5 extra wide. Notice a trend here?

Did 6 miles in new shoes no problem. The longest i have walked is 6 miles at 4.0 about 7 times so i can't taper but have to get some more miles in. A long time ago i used to walk 5 miles on my lunch hour and 5 miles after work so hope i can rebuild quicker than if i had never walked far. The plane tickets are bought so i'm going no matter what.

kaf7878
12-19-2005, 07:16 AM
DONE~~~

Well I did it--finished my 20 miler at around 7pm last night!!!! Boy, were my legs screaming! Waist up I feel great, lungs and heart feel like I can run forever but somewhere around 16 miles my legs really start getting sore. They already feel a ton better this morning though--whew!

Thank you all for posting all the reports--I was looking forward to reading them and posting my own!

I have to say I'm a little nervous about doing the last 6 miles to the finish--and hitting the wall--have any of you gotten through the wall yet?? Any strategies you use??

Around 17 miles I really felt tired so DH and I took turns saying one things we were thankful for (there are so many). We just went back and forth for a mile with this. It inspired me a lot. Just a tip.

We have to run 3 miles today--ack! I thought today was a rest day but I'll just take them very easy--total recovery run.

Keep posting everyone!!

Kelly

gatorphipps
12-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I have to say I'm a little nervous about doing the last 6 miles to the finish--and hitting the wall--have any of you gotten through the wall yet?? Any strategies you use??
Kelly
Kelly - Congrats on the LR! AAAHHHHH...The wall! :scared1: I have often been told that mile 20 is where the marathon begins. Didn't think this to be true until I ran one! You will do great! If you can keep positive at this point, it will help.
Here is a picture of a friend at mile 20 in the Myrtle Beach Marathon! She ran a 4:16 w/ neg splits! :cheer2:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/colleenMBM1.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/ColleenMBM2.jpg
Christa

Minnie
12-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Just a heads up to anyone that is using SW or still needs plane tickets. I received an email with great savings that is good through midnight today. Hope it helps someone save some $s.

I so wish I was going to be there with all of you. Reading all of your successes is what is pushing me to make that appointment with the dreaded DR to see what is really wrong with my hip/back/leg. I want to be ready to run with you all in 2007 :sunny:

::MinnieMo

msblrobs
12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Just checking in with my weekend report...

Sunny & Carrie - I have to repeat that I love my shirt!! It is so soft and the design is just awesome. Thanks so much for the hard work.

I am happy to report that I am done with my LR's, both on the TM. The 10 miles on Saturday was a breeze but the 20 miles yesterday were a little less than optimal. My hamstrings were complaining a bit and I really wanted to take my kids to breakfast with Santa, so I had that on my mind. It's over but not something I really want to look back upon lovingly.

I may do another 18-20 miles on Friday just to build my confidence up a bit.

Other than that, I'm going to concentrate on stretching, sleeping and eating optimally for the next 3 weeks. Usually I run at 4:30 a.m. weekdays, but now I'll run at night in order to up my sleep reserves.

I can't wait to hear everyone else's reports :cheer2:

Honeibee
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Good morning everyone. :flower:

You guys are all so amazing, and so inspiring. :goodvibes I'm learning so much here. It's like having a virtual personal trainer. :teeth:

Cam...wow, a tough one, but aren't you glad you did it?!?!?! :goodvibes

Pefect...I had a torn meniscus that my surgeon fixed when he replaced my ACL. Sometimes my knee would hurt like the dickens, then sometimes it would be fine. It was so predictable it was annoying! If you do get it fixed, you'll be REALLY happy you did. :)

I hit a milestone this morning. I upped my speed to 3.6 on the TM, which was my old standard when I was using the TM to lose weight two years ago. Since then I've had two foot surgeries and an ACL replacement, so it's very exciting for me to back to where I was pre-ops. :banana:

Reading all your posts about tapering and being done with your LRs/LWs makes me wonder while I'll be like this time next year. I'll probably be a nervous wreck and on these boards until you guys are so sick of me! :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for being so inspiring! I love the DIS WISH board! :teeth:

Jodi
12-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Sunny - I can't believe you did it!! I know I couldn't run on a TM for that long. Kudos to you!!

Well, I did it. Last 10 LR on Sat. It was cold, :charac2: I know, I should be greatful I didn't have to run on a TM, but that wasn't the worst of it. The black ice was HORRIBLE, I think I skated for at least 5 miles, but it turned out ok with an avg. of 10:11 pace. I was pretty happy with that, considering the car & ice dodging. I really want to finish the 1/2 in 2 hours (maybe 2 hrs. 5 min.) Even though I'm running 10 min miles now, does anyone think this can be done? Does anyone ever get faster at the actual race? I had
-splits for the last 3 miles on Sat., so maybe I have a chance. What are other peoples experiences w/ race day for the 1/2.

Oops, gotta go, boss is coming up the stairs :rotfl:

Jodi

MickeySP
12-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Cam WTG - nice pace for 10 miler.

As this gets closer any other first timers getting erally nervous/excited? I am not sure which I am more of.

I did my 10 mile Friday, did maintain a 14:39 pace so I ampretty confident as I begin my taper.

The butterflies are getting really active!!

mahoney
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I got my shirts in the mail this weekend! Yeah! Thanks, Carrie!

I did my 20mile run a week ago. We went to WDW for a long weekend, for my birthday, and mostly to run somewhere warmer than here in MN! The run went well, much better than the 18 miler a couple of weeks ago. Must have been the Disney atmosphere! We did it in 3 hrs and 45 min. and were happy with that. After coming back to the room and showering afterwards, I could not warm up though. I felt like I was freezing inside even though I was curled up with my sweats under the covers!

As for tapering, I did a 10mile yesterday on the TM and I struggled the whole time, kept watching the clock and wondering if it was ever going to end! This Christmas season sure makes it hard to find the time, and I know my eating habits have not been very good this past week. I didn't have much to eat yesterday because we went to 2 Christmas parties over the weekend and probably ate more than I should have. I just had no energy for that 10miler! I've been pretty disciplined for the training part, just need to get the nutrition aspect where it should be!!

See ya soon!

MelRhoads
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Jodi - I have never done disney, but I did my first 1/2 last year and I was only doing an 11:00min/mile in training. I finished the half (which had quite a few hills) with a pace of 9:59! The most I had done prior to the race was a 10 mile run (with significant hills) and I did do a 15 mile trail run (about 3500 ft elevation gain and 1900ft. loss) I walked most of it. I would think based on my experience that your pace could be faster than your training pace.!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Honeibee
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
To everyone who has done the WDW Half before......maybe a dumb question, but I am so new to all this. :blush:

If they are putting everyone in corrals based on estimated finish time, I am correct in assuming that not everyone starts at the same time? Or do they just bring you up to the start line in groups based on your corral?

If this is correct, how do you know how you are doing? Not that I will have to worry about this but how would you know if you were winning then? You wouldn't, right, because if say for instance you were in the third corral, you could be the fastest but not be in the front.

Or am I just amazingly confused???? :confused3

Maybe I should go this year even though I am not entered so I can better understand.

BTW I am already planning on some local halfs so I won't be such an amateur when the WDW Half rolls around. :flower:

Tiger Lily 03
12-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Yikes! I had to go back and edit my post.
ETA: I meant I had the TM set to do the minimum speed I needed to "qualify" as a participant. I cannot run fast. But, nonetheless, I DID IT! I will be at the end, but I plan to be there and over within the time permitted!

Thanks to EVERYONE for your support to ALL of us. Those of you who are here and not able to participate are encouraging more than you can imagine. I am thankful that you are helping us along.

Christa, great pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

MickeySP, I love your post. It reminds me of me at this point last year. You will be fine! We will all be with you.

Kelly, about that "WALL," I figured as I am going to be near others along the point of my wall, I am hoping to gain/give encouragement to those around me. (Hope they don't think I'm crazy.) Folks were so nice last year during my half that I am expecting many of the same types of people to "boost" me along. I have learned that I should also give a boost or two.

Thanks to all for sharing in our big weekend reports. I am looking forward to making good use of the taper.

As I get bored, I cheer myself along:

Thunder, thunder, THUNDERATION!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

mazzypig
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I had planned a final "long" run this past weekend to increase my confidence to finish the half...but things didn't go as planned. On Thursday evening, my husband's sister called and said "get up here fast, mom has taken a turn for the worse." She was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 months ago with a 6 month to 2 year life expectancy. My husband rushed home (3 hr drive to Va Beach), but she died early on Friday morning. :sad1: I stayed home with the kids throughout the weekend, and we are leaving tonight for Va Beach to attend the funeral tomorrow. I haven't run since last week, and my knee is hurting more than ever despite the "rest" (I made a doctor's appt for this Thursday). There will not likely be any time/energy for exercise this week, and I know I should rest the week after anyway to prepare for the race. The most I have ever done was one day of wogging 10 miles (and then my knee pain started). Before then I was only averaging 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. I feel guilty worrying about my ability to finish the race when there are bigger things to grieve... :guilty: but completing my first half-marathon is about more than just a WDW trip and I still need to do this. I was really counting on this week to build my final endurance. So my confidence in my ability to do the half has taken a nosedive!

MelRhoads
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Mazzy - I'm so sorry about your loss.

Don't worry about your other LR from an endurance standpoint. You did it last week. Most training programs for a 1/2 only call for a 10 mile LR anyway. As far as your knee goes, I'm sure your Dr. will give you good info, but it could be that rest would be better as you finish your training than putting additional stress on it with another LR.

zoegirl
12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey ya'll! :wave:

WOW can you believe that we are only 2.5 weeks away from our big day or days for those of us that are "goofy"? I for one am so excited! It's wierd, but I feel like Christmas is a hump to get over before the big event. I'm sure I need to ask forgiveness for feeling that way, but I am so focused on this race and Christmas is just in the way!
We did our last double LR this past weekend (12/24). I have to admit after I bonked so hard during the Charlotte marathon I was a little apprehensive about this run. Well....... WE NAILED IT!!! Even in the freezing cold icy streets (temps were in the 20s & 30s) we knocked it out, with little complaints...for me that is a big deal b/c I complain and whine all the time. We finished the big run in a little over 4 hours. Again, for me this is a big deal.

It's really cool to look over your posts and see how everyone is fairing at this point in our training. I don't think there is anyone that doesn't think they can finish their race. Did you ever think you'd get this far when you started training last summer? That's how I felt the first year I ran. Just think how far you have come, and for the most part your training is done. :cool1:

I haven't recieved my shirt yet :confused3 I'm sure it was sent to my old address so I won't start panicing yet.

Today is a rest day for me. After the double LR I'm taking two days off to recoup, then cycle class tomorrow then run short Wednesday.

Until later,
~bree~

littlegreydonkey
12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Wall, what wall, I see no wall in front of me, just wide clear open spaces, not a brick in sight, la la la la - spot the person not even entertaining the idea of said wall!!!! From what I've been told the wall occurs when you run out of glycogen and can be avoided by eating well a couple of days before and keeping up your sugar levels on the day - and that will be my excuse for savaging the candy man at mile 19 (or wherever he is).

Also, last minute tip I picked up from the training guru here. If, as probably will occur in Fla in Jan, you're running a race where temperatures vary dramatically (ie cold start, hot finish), you must drink more early than maybe you would normally. Apparently, this is tough conditions to run in (more than steady heat) as your body can't catch up with the hydration as fast as the temps can rise - and by the time you get to the end you're dehydrated. Don't want to scare anyone but he said that was the one thing he felt could catch me out - so don't skip those water stops at the start - remember, by the time you feel thirsty you're already dehydrated. That's my lot today: Helen

Tiger Lily 03
12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Mazzy, sorry about your loss. It has been difficult to get it going for you hasn't it? You do what you can and keep in mind you did your 10 miles. Continue doing what you can according to the taper plan. As long as you keep putting steps in and don't overdo you may still be able to pull it off! Strength to you and family as you go through this time.

Helen, there's a candy man! :earseek: Save me some! I have visions of being last and everything will be depleted by those b4 me.

Everyone, Save some for Lily! I'll be behind ya. :teeth:

MelRhoads
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I got my shirt! It is wonderful. I will try it out this week. Thank you Carrie and Sunny!

Lily said she had visions of the candy being gone b/4 she got there. I have been having dreams AGAIN. Last night I dreamed i had to pack so fast that I forgot to pack any of my running clothes and shoes. I wasn't too worried about getting them in time for the race. I figured I'd go to downtown disney and get them in that store that has the sports clothes, but in my dream, i couldn't find my kind of shoes!!!! My biggest concern (in my dream) was the additional $$$ I was going to have to dish out to pay for something that I had impulsively signed up for! (guess who is feeling guilty about buying shoes, signing up for an expensive race, buying plane tickets and dragging my family on a vacation that we normally would not have taken!!) In reality, i probably will remember my shoes and the boy (age 3) will love WDW so much that it will all be worth it!!! Plus, i really wanted that goofy medal (i'm not sure why, it just sounded cool to me!)

crzy4pooh
12-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I got my shirt today, too! :goodvibes Thanks Carrie! It looks great!!! :flower:

I did my 20 miles on Saturday. It wasn't a stonker because I actually did it, and finished under a 15 minute pace, but it wasn't exactly pleasant. I'm finishing up antibiotics for bronchitis, so I knew to take it easy. Weather didn't want to cooperate... drizzly rain from mile 5 to mile 17, then it poured the last three miles. My knee did pretty well, although that leg cramped pretty bad at mile 12. Lots of stretching and shorter intervals, and it did okay. But, I figure Disney has to be better than that run, so bring it on!!! :cool1:

DH (wfloyd) did his long run last Saturday - 24 1/4 miles. He is doing awesome!!! :teeth:

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!! See you all SOON!!! :banana:

Jodi
12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Melissa - Thanks for the feedback, that's encouraging info! I'm counting on the fact that WDW is all flat & therefore my times may decrease!

Mazzy - Sorry for you & your husband's loss. From what I've read here about tapering, & injuries & resting, I think you'll be ok missing this past run. You just need to get your head in the right place. You can still do it. In light of recent events you'll be spending a lot of time taking care of people in your life, but don't forget to take care of yourself, i.e. training when you can, eating right, & keeping a positive attitude about this race. It 's obvious that it's very important to you & the idea of finishing it makes you very happy...and you know what they say...if Mommy isn't happy, no one's happy! Take care.

Jodi

TEK224
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Mazzy - So sorry for your loss. :grouphug: and :wizard: :wizard: to you and your family.

Carrie - I got my shirts today. They look great and feel so soft. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again to you and to Sunny for the design. :)

BTW - I was out shopping today and found a pair of adidas warm up pants, black with lime green stripes. Would have gotten the matching jacket, but they didn't have any in my size.

Terri

wtpclc
12-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Mazzy - I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Congrats to all the l-lr finishers!! We are going to do this!!!!!

Yes Mel, teh tic's were well worth it.

BTW - There were a couple rubber-necking bkiers who had to read the front of my shirt when passing, as they must have liked the back!

More news - Well, Mom and dad were originally going to come watch teh marathon. They have only mised 2 of my runs ever (and they were taking db to college for those). Well, ddad was diagnosed with colon cancer in June. he had a section of colon removed in July and has been doing chemo since Sept. Now, we have been told this will take care of it and dad is doing very well, but I really wanted them to make it (even though I was afraid at first ti would cramp my WDW style). Well, our awesome 20-miler must have inspired them. Ddad is afraid to fly, as there are too many germs on planes this time of year, but it's his off-treatment weekend and they will drive down (20 hours each way). The will arrive Thur late or Friday and leave again Sunday afternoon. Yikes! That's alot of driving!!!! I cannot believe they are coming! You cannot believe what this means to me. I'm getting sooo excited!!!

plutosmyfav
12-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I got my shirt on Saturday, the day after my final LR. It brought tears to my eyes, the timing and all. I bought two sleeveless and I may end up butchering one up for the race. I discovered way back, and then again on my 22 miler that I cannot have a shirt that rests against my collar bone. I have two big holes from chafing over 22 miles. Its amazing how long distance can turn a tiny little movement of feather light material into the equivalent of sand paper! So I might try cutting out the neck on one and see how it works. But I love them :love:

I did upperbody weights on Saturday, rested Sunday and then did 50 minutes cardio and upperbody weights yesterday. Today will be my first run since the dreaded 22 miler. And yes, it will be on the TM again :rolleyes: But only 6 miles. phew.

I went to see The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe on Sunday. OK, I think I am just a tad emotional these days. I was blubbering like a baby through the whole movie. I think they did a fantastic job with one of my all-time favorite books.

As for my taper party. Well, Friday I had a very dainty, well planned out, controlled "splurge". Then Saturday night I have my parents over for dinner and somehow lost total control which slid all the way into Monday. I am a blimp. And I can't just run it off! Oh I wish I was a more sensible person sometimes :blush:

Sunny

solotraveler
12-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Mazzy- So sorry to hear about your loss. :grouphug:

Well, i made it back from TO in one piece. The usual 5.75 hour drive took us 8 hours on the way out due to the weather. It took us 3 hours to get from Hamilton to Toronto (which is usually about 45 minutes, tops). :rolleyes: But the trip was very much needed after working so hard. I did manage to get some fantastic workouts in while there, which obviously bodes well.

I will be completing my 20-miler either today or tomorrow depending on if things slow down here for me at work or not. And then it's taper, taper, taper. I can't believe I leave for Orlando in 15 days. Thanks to everyone on this board for helping me get to the start line. :)

Carrie- Atlanta, huh?? Great pace!!

It sounds like everyone had great long runs this weekend!! Can't wait to actually meet a lot of you (4pm at Trails End, right??)

Well, back to work!

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

wtpclc
12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Good luck on the 20-miler solo! FYI - DH and I figure you could at 20% to your mileage btwn snow/ice and dry pavement conditions.

plutosmyfav
12-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Good luck, Solo!

I'm just back from my first "taper" run. What an odd sensation-- stepping off the TM before I am ready to collapse! The first two miles were awful, I hated every step and tried desparately to come up with a reason to ditch the effort. But by mile 3 I was on cloud 9. By mile 6 I was quite dissappointed that I had to stop! I rounded it out to 6.6 to make an even quarter.

Sunny

MelRhoads
12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Sunny - You must have a much better capacity for recovery than i do. I have not wanted to run an inch since my 20 miles last monday.

I have done 1 5 mile run and i just got back from 4. I am so slow and so tired!!! I did kayak really well today though!! We went this morning while the boy was in school and it was lightly snowing, so the lake was beautiful and cold! We paddled up to a point that we had mountian biked in the past.

I have a 12 miler tomorrow and a short speedworkout later in the week. I think I'm really going to have to rest. I am not feeling the desire to run at this point! my taper may include every other sport!!!!

TiffJ
12-20-2005, 08:12 PM
O.k. I bought some new shorts I love & plan on wearing for the race. My question is how do you train in them if it's too cold to wear shorts? I'm hoping it will warm up enough Sat. afternoon to wear them. If it gets near 50 I should be o.k. in shorts.

2 weeks from today I will be checking into WL. :banana: :Pinkbounc
I am so excited I can't stand myself (and I think the family is starting to feel the same way)

TXBelle
12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I have been so busy at work this is the first chance I have had to read the posts in almost two weeks. Great job everyone on your LRs! I was supposed to do 10 miles this weekend, but I just didn't want to. I slept in instead.

I went to the gym yesterday and ran/walked 40 minutes. Today was 40 minutes of cross-training on the bike and the elliptical. Tomorrow is a rest day.

I have lost my desire to do the 1/2, but I hope to get it back soon. It feels strange to no longer want to do it after I have spent eleven months training. I got the shirts today, which made me very proud to be part of the WISH team. I really look forward to meeting all of you and watching DH run the marathon. I think I will look back at my photos from last year and try to get inspired.

TEK224
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I guess I had a bit of a stonker today. I only did a 3 miles walk. Although I felt good during the walk and felt like I was going at a good pace, when I finished my time was 47:38. That's not far ahead of the sweepers. It was cold out (about 25 degrees) and I did walk into the wind for 1/2 the time, but I just thought the time would have been better.

I was sick most of the day on Monday. Some sort of stomach virus, so maybe that had an effect, too. I was just bummed about the time.

Tomorrow is my last LW before I cut back and take it easy. Hoping I bounce back with a better time in this walk. After that, I'll do some light cross-training, enjoy the holidays and then head off to the World!

Terri

keenercam
12-21-2005, 07:54 AM
It is going to be hard to find time to do much the next week or so and I couldn't get to the gym Monday for my 50 minute walk, so I did that last night instead of cross-training. I did 3.33 miles which I think is exactly 15 minute pace. I had no fuel, though, having worked all day and not eaten dinner before getting to the gym at 8:30pm. UGH! I am thinking the 4 chocolates I ate yesterday (so UNLIKE me to do that!) may have also depleted my energy. I did wear my WISH shirt, though, to get me in the spirit of things!

I cannot believe how I was dripping wet from my hair, down my face and even my arms when I wasn't really exerting myself. That was so strange. And I only had a 20 oz bottle of water with me, so I couldn't restore much of anything I was losing. I'll be sure to carry powerade from now on for even my short workouts.

gatorphipps
12-21-2005, 08:09 AM
It is going to be hard to find time to do much the next week or so and I couldn't get to the gym Monday for my 50 minute walk, so I did that last night instead of cross-training.
I am there with you! The girls are now out of school and this makes finding time hard. I have one of DD5s friends with me today. Thinking about loading them up and taking them to the YMCA so I can run or swim.
Keenercam - about sweating, that is a sign of a true athlete! :goodvibes
Christa

aladdinsgirl
12-21-2005, 08:24 AM
I LOVE the taper!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: I did 4 miles in 45:54 last night, I did it a faster pace than I usually do, and it was a piece of cake. Stephen came downstairs to do a load of laundry about 30 minutes into my run and was talking to me while I was running. He made the comment, I can't believe you're just running and talking and not even out of breath. I guess that's a good thing. :) I have 50 minutes tonight and then my lr of 8 miles on Friday, I'm taking advantage of my day off work and getting my lr out of the way.

Cam--I always sweat like crazy on the treadmill, I take my clothes off and they are dripping wet. It's really gross!! Make sure you get enough to eat and drink before and during your walk.

Mazzy--So sorry for you loss, use this time to be with your family and don't even think about the marathon. You're all trained up, so don't worry about it.

Heather--Snap out of your funk!!! :teeth: :wizard: I hope you're feeling better, I'm sure it's just the stress of the holidays and your new responsibilities at work.

I'd love to talk more, but I'm swamped at work. Only today and tomorrow and then I'm on vacation until Jan. 3 and then I'm on vacation again Jan. 6-13. :cheer2:

Krista princess:

kaf7878
12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Like a lot of you I have had little desire to run since my 20 miler on Sunday. Yesterday I did 3 on the TM and really thought I was going to die the first 2 miles. I guess my body is still tired because I felt like a wimp! Then my mind starts going crazy--"How can you expect to doa marathon if 3 miles is difficult." You know the drill....

Anyway, I have an 8 miler today which I am half dreading but this is the last of my "long" weekday runs. After this the most I do during the week is 5.

Hey, has anyone had any hip "issues"?? My right hip has been in quite a bit of pain for a few weeks. Its definately muscular and I can really feel it when I lean to the opposite side. It starts hurting big time during long runs too.

wtpclc
12-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Terri - Take it from me, in the 20's, I was lucky to be in teh 12's. In the mid 40s, I was 11:30s and I did nto feel like i was pushing. The warmer weather will help a lot.

kaf - My hip issue was muscular and rest and ice were the best things for it. Taking a few days off would likely help a lot. If you can cross-train without hurting your hip, do that, but do not push it.

I worked late Monday and missed my run. I did XT yesterday, though. 30 minutes was really nice, especially as I have been doing 45. Ooops.

Disneefun
12-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey, has anyone had any hip "issues"?? My right hip has been in quite a bit of pain for a few weeks. Its definately muscular and I can really feel it when I lean to the opposite side. It starts hurting big time during long runs too.

About a year ago (before the marathon insanity started) I had a problem similar to what you're describing. I thought I had done something to it during a workout. Turns out, it was my mattress that was causing the problem. I like to sleep on that side and the matress was throwing everything off kilter. New mattress, and it's fixed. Not to say that's your problem, just that it might not be running related.

In other news, I haven't been able to do anything but Piates, Yoga and upper body work since my LR on Sat. My toe just isn't healing very quickly and since shoes rub it, I can't run. I try to walk as little as possible, even barefoot, because the raw place is right on the joint so everytime I move it breaks it open again. Grrrrr.

And in REALLY BIG NEWS... some of you may remember last summer me mentioning that I was writing a book. Well, yesterday one of the agents that I submitted it to called and they want to represent it!!!!! That's still a long way from publication, but its a big step!!! Yay!!!!

plutosmyfav
12-21-2005, 08:49 AM

Major! After my 22 miler I had shooting pains in both hips all day and when I went to bed it was almost unbearable. Its gone now, but this seems to be my latest complaint, too. I am doing more of the glute stretches in hopes that it will help.

I went back to the gym last night to do lower body weights and then I did a bad thing. I got on the tm and cranked out 2 miles at 7.5 mph (0% incline). I just couldn't help myself. It was partly because i was just .4 miles from crossing the 1300 mark on my run to disney and partly because I just wanted to feel it. And partly because I really wanted to lose the blimp feeling I rewared myself with last weekend. :rolleyes: But this is just the very beginning of the first week of taper and Hal Higdon does call for an 8 miler on this day in some of his schedules, so 6.6 + 2.2 isn't too far off...

Today will be no more than 5 miles. I promise :teeth:

As for not feeling like running or doing the race, I've hit those feelings over and over during this training. I think that is a major part of training; getting ahold of the mind and telling yourself "just do it".

Sunny

plutosmyfav
12-21-2005, 08:56 AM
About a year ago (before the marathon insanity started) I had a problem similar to what you're describing. I thought I had done something to it during a workout. Turns out, it was my mattress that was causing the problem. I like to sleep on that side and the matress was throwing everything off kilter. New mattress, and it's fixed. Not to say that's your problem, just that it might not be running related.

Oh good grief! Is this free sport going to cost me a mattress now? :rotfl2:

And in REALLY BIG NEWS... some of you may remember last summer me mentioning that I was writing a book. Well, yesterday one of the agents that I submitted it to called and they want to represent it!!!!! That's still a long way from publication, but its a big step!!! Yay!!!!

:earseek: :cheer2: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :banana:
Wow! Congratulations! Now we have two authors in our group! That is great news!!!!!!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for the toe. Ouch. Not fun.

Sunny

wtpclc
12-21-2005, 09:15 AM
lol Sunny! This "free" sport cost me plane tickets and hotel rooms last weekend!

Minnie
12-21-2005, 09:26 AM
kaf7878 - Hip pain is what has kept me from training and will be keeping me from running in the 1/2 marathon this year. The culprit of my pain is the sacrum and the muscles surrounding it.

I would seriously consider resting a ton until the marathon. Do not continue ot push it the way I did. Major mistake!

:wizard: to you!!!!!

TEK224
12-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Disneefun - Congrats! That is great news! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

I did my last LW today! :banana: :banana: :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana:
Did 8 miles in under 2 hours (barely - 1:59:30). But it was better than yesterday (also warmer - in the 30's). I felt really good and was not stiff or sore afterward! I was so excited when I finished. It really boosted my spirits after a bummer SW yesterday.

Terri

Tiger Lily 03
12-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Disneyfun, congrats on the book. Hope it goes to publication.

Carrie, that is spectacular news about your parents going to watch you participate. You are so blessed.

Solo, hope your LR went smoothly.

Heather, hope you get your groove back! Just think, you will be sharing with a lot of first timers and experiencing their joy and awe in a great place!

TM sweating oh that is so me. I am drenched right away. I have a problem though, I am not working on the TM in the clothing I will use for the event. Too hot on my TM, I have the fan on, and shorts and jog bra, head band and then a towel to sop up the drips. Only thing I include is my waistpack and cell phone, but not the camera either.

Hip issues here, I just keep doing the Pilates. Ortho doc seemed to think it is a bursitis pain I may have. I thought it felt more muscular. Iíve been taking anti-inflammatory meds and I guess they must be helping. I actually have been feeling fantastic these days. Oh and maybe those cold tub soaks that have become so POPULAR here may have helped me some after my last 2 LRs!

Money invested in the free sport; we need a separate thread to hold all of it! Iím sure it would get a few laughs for sure.

Sunny, donít forgetótaper! :sunny:

Terri, good news on your walk! You have the time. :banana:

I did have feet after my LR that felt like they were on fire and also sore. Have some new blisters, but not too bad and the soreness was gone yesterday.

I am feeling quite energized after the LR weekend! I cannot believe it. I am not sore and I actually did my TM work as required with a smile! I increased the pace and did my 45 minutes in what seemed like no time! I am hoping the euphoria lasts for a long time.

Thunder, thunder, THUNDERATION!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

wtpclc
12-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Woo hoo! Tracking is back!

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/marathon/events/detail?name=FullMarathon2006LiveResultsEventDetail Page

Jodi
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Carrie - I saw this, too. Although it won't let you register for the 1/2 marathon. When you try it says that you're not registered, but then goes back to a registration form for the full. Must be a glitch for now.

I saw that the "Penguin" is scheduled to speak at least twice @ the expo! Cool beans for his big fans!

Pluggin along, Mon. 50 min. run turned into a 50 min. walk on the TM. Just didn't have the desire to run...yesterday's 30 min. of CT was good. Anyone have a gizmo called "Jacob's Ladder" @ their gym? Man, that thing is wicked. Sat. LR of 8 should be good, as the weather will be a bit warmer than late. I'm in a bit of a fog w/ the training, like some others. Keep goin' guys, we're almost there!!! The marathon update email said only 15 MORE DAYS to Marathon Weekend. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I'm waiting for the anxiety dreams to commence...Bring 'em on, baby!!! (i feel like i'm going to vomit).

Jodi

MelRhoads
12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
12 miler today and it wasn't that bad. We stopped about 1 million times and still had a good pace. Then we got to go to a potluck at the boys preschool. YUM. I'm planning on resting alot the week b/4 marathon weekend so I'll be rip roarin' to go (Helen, that's arkansas talk for really ready!)

littlegreydonkey
12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Morning all - especially MelR who I'm now a bit scared of with all the rippin' and roarin'. Well did my 8 miles last night in 2 spurts - one 5 miler on my own, and 3 miler tied to five other runners with tinsel (just be thankfully we weren't the ones running boot camp style the five foot christmas cracker). We had Santa en route, complete with a troop of huskies and lots of sweets, people dressed as reindeers and elves, and many flashing santa hats, not that our running club will use any excuse to liven up 5k. The people living en route must think we're completely mad.

I might have to get my 12 miler out of the way tomorrow as come Saturday (remembering I'm 20 odd hours ahead of y'all - see Mel, I'm pickin' up the lingo) I'm 'leaving on a jet plane' to make my merry way to Fla (via the bright lights, and ice cream bars, of Vegas). So, just in case I get some emergency work to deal with tomorrow as well as the run, and don't get a chance to check in again. Good luck everyone with the rest of the training - and I'll see you at Trials End. Helen

PS: Congrats DF on the agent, my mum spotted my latest in her local bookstore yesterday (a month before it's due out!!!) and has run round moving them all to the front. That'll be you soon!!!!!!!

plutosmyfav
12-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Lily-- Awsome report! No soreness, lots of energy, your right where you should be :banana:

Great job, MelR :cheer2: You are a rip roarin' sort a gal :rotfl:

Helen-- You do lead a wild life. Never in my wildest dreams have I contemplated running tied by tinsel to another human :rotfl2:

I did 6 miles last night. I set out to do 5 but I discovered I have a bad obsession. See, I've become acustomed to never stepping off a TM before a near by runner. Well, a man got on the one next to me somewhere between mile 1 and 2 and when mile 5 rolled around he was still going strong. I just couldn't stop first. I know that is totally ridiculous. Luckily for my tapering plan he finsihed when I was nearing 5.7 so I finsihed off 6 and then did cool down. But I had plenty of energy to spare so it didn't feel like cheating. I'm going to do my 12 miler tomorrow at the Y. I don't want to chance leaving it for Christmas Eve.

Happy tapering everyone :cool1:

Sunny

gatorphipps
12-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Warning...Evil Queen advice ahead!
As I predicted, there are a few of us that are trying not to taper! Trying to get more mileage in is not good right b/4 a marathon. Plan the race and race the plan...this includes training too. Don't try to get 1 last LLR in to boost confidence or up the mileage during the week. We are as trained as we can get at this point! Take it easy and trust the training to get you through.

Melissa - We talk like that in NC too!

Helen - Good luck on the run, flight and everything. Have a great time!

We are leaving for WDW Dec. 27th with the family! :love: Staying until the 2nd then driving back (8 hour drive). Then DH, some friends and I are flying back on the 5th for the marathon. WOW! Helen I may see you and not even know it! :goodvibes
I have a new running partner. She is furry, white, 12 lbs, and can out run anyone. She is my little Jack Russel, Zoe. I have taken her out twice and she LOVES it!

Christa

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Love the tinsel story Helen!

Good advice Christa!! Zoe isn't replacing zoegril, is she???? :rotfl: Congrats on the new partner!

OK, hated going back to snow, slush and ice after running on dry pavement last weekend. :( There could be rain today and tomorrow, let's hope it doesn't freeze so I can have a clear path for teh Saturday 10-miler!

plutosmyfav
12-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Warning...Evil Queen advice ahead!

Oh I suppose you are referring to me :teeth: But honest, honest, honest, I have only slightly exceeded Hal Higdon's week 1 taper schedule:
Hal's
M: cross Tu: 5 W: 6 Th: 5 F: rest Sa: 4 Su: 12

I am doing:
M: cross Tu: 8 W: 6 Th: cross F: 12 Sa & Su mostly likely total rest aside from the frenzy of preparing for Christmas.

So EVIL QUEEN don't yell at me :earboy2:

But seriously, this will be a real challenge for me. Because long before marathon training I was obsessively working out, so pulling way back will be difficult. But I promise to heed the advice of thousands who have gone before me and know best. I really will.

But I will also continue to be honest, as this really is my therapy session :grouphug:

BTW, we are only 8 days away from seeing the extended forecast for race day on weather.com Right now Dec 30/31 are predicted to be highs of 70 and lows of 50s. I know that doesn't really mean a thing, the weather dice can roll anyway they chose! But it gives me a warm fuzzy thinking those temps might be real!

Sunny

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 11:09 AM
OMG! Weather reports! That sounds perfect Sunny! Let's hope it is real!

plutosmyfav
12-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Speaking of regional lingo and such. It dawned on me that currently you all talk just like me :rotfl2: Won't it be funny to hear each other's accents at Trail's End!!!!!!

Actually, Craig probably talks very similar to me being from Colorado and then moving to Mass. I don't have a Boston accent. But Dx has a serious one. When we lived in OH he had to repeat himself over and over because they couldn't understand him!

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Speaking of regional lingo and such. It dawned on me that currently you all talk just like me :rotfl2: Won't it be funny to hear each other's accents at Trail's End!!!!!!

Actually, Craig probably talks very similar to me being from Colorado and then moving to Mass. I don't have a Boston accent. But Dx has a serious one. When we lived in OH he had to repeat himself over and over because they couldn't understand him!
That's funny Sunny! I met an online friend in Georgia. I knew she was from Georgia, but by golly I don't hear it on teh boards! Really caught me off guard with her sourthern accent. Duh....

Can wait to put faces and voices to these names!

gatorphipps
12-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh I suppose you are referring to me :teeth: But honest, honest, honest, I have only slightly exceeded Hal Higdon's week 1 taper schedule:
Hal's
M: cross Tu: 5 W: 6 Th: 5 F: rest Sa: 4 Su: 12

I am doing:
M: cross Tu: 8 W: 6 Th: cross F: 12 Sa & Su mostly likely total rest aside from the frenzy of preparing for Christmas.

So EVIL QUEEN don't yell at me :earboy2:
Actually, I was not referring to you. There is someone who said she wanted to get in another 18 - 20 mile run this weekend to build confidence. The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.
Did not know that. Makes sense.

solotraveler
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I finished my 20 miler today!! :banana: :banana:

My time was 3:30:20, so about 10:31/mile pace. I think I may not have been drinking enough water because I got really tight and sore around mile 15 and for the final two miles were just horrible. I'll take it, though. I do feel much more confident about the race than I did before the run, so yippee!! (BTW- I hit the half-marathon mark in 2:10:10-- by mile 17 I was wondering why I didn't just sign up for that!). The wind and cold were pretty bad and there were slushy roads to contend with-- but I'm hoping that won't be the case at Disney.

Now, finally, bring on the taper!

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

panthergirl
12-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi everybody,

Just thought I would post a picture of me so you will recognize me if you see me marathon weekend. I am the tall exhausted looking one! Note the spiffy headgear! The little one with all of the energy is my niece. We were in the MK Sunday night for MVMCP.

Susan

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/SusanGuy/2005%20WDW%20Christmas/IMG_0110.jpg

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
So nice to see you Susan!

Congrats Solo! Trust me, you ran that today, marathon will feel like heaven!!!! We purposely upped our drinking for our 20-miler, as we think that was one of many issues for the 18. I think that helped a lot.

zoegirl
12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Good advice Christa!! Zoe isn't replacing zoegril, is she???? :rotfl: Congrats on the new partner!

No Christa's Zoe is not replacing me (at least I hope not) ;) she "inherited" her Zoe recently, and actually this Zoegirl (me) is named after my Zoe (my dog) so now Christa and I both have dogs named Zoe....funny huh?

I just want to agree with Christa on the the taper thing. Most of us seem to be keeping with the taper schedule, but please be careful of trying to do too much betwen now and the race. The general rule is not to run any more miles than days before your race. So be wise in your running decisions the next couple weeks. If you are not trained by this point.......well you know.

Have not done a whole lot this week, have taken cycle class and run short. Our 14 mile is tomorrow and that's the last time I'll run with Christa until the race since she's leaving me and going to WDW after Christmas :sad2: What a stinker! I'm so jealous.

I hope you guys have a great Christmas.

~bree~

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Good to hear Bree! That really is funny!

OK, I know you're all worried about me, but you don't have to tell me twice. No going overboard. lol!!! ;) ;) Like I'd ever have that problem! No IC living here!

plutosmyfav
12-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Actually, I was not referring to you. There is someone who said she wanted to get in another 18 - 20 mile run this weekend to build confidence. The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.

Phew! The Evil Queen is not after me :teeth: I fully understand that training is done, my temptation right now is to endulge in the feeling of power, rather than let it boil up inside until race day!!!! If I skip lower body weights the week of the race (as planned) then my legs will be so powerful they just my pop up and knock down buildings without my permission :rotfl2:

Solo-- Congrats on completing training. Now you are ordered to have your Taper Party of One :cheer2:

Susan-- Is it just me? Your picture is about 1/10th of the size of a postage stamp on my pc. I can't see you :(

I'm just back from my office party. I controlled my eating quite well if I do say so myself!!!! We played a game where you have a name stuck to your back and you go around asking yes or no questions to figure out who you are. They made me Evil kneivel :rotfl: I thought that was a riot! Also very hard to guess but I got it.

Sunny

wtpclc
12-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Keep forgetting to post this. This is what our beautiful bike path looks like now.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/PoohsPal/IMG_1032.jpg

panthergirl
12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
The pic is huge on my pc. Wonder why. I'm learning this digital thing and I'm pretty bad at it right now.

I think I fixed it but it's probably gigantic again!

plutosmyfav
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Susan it came out great! Wow you really are a Panther girl!!!!

Carrie that's about what my bike path looks like now, too. Except mine is covered in ski tracks. I really want a pair of xt skis for Christmas!

littlegreydonkey
12-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Guess who doesn't have any work today and so is officially on holiday - hooray!! And, being even more smug, by 9.15am this morning I'd done my final bits of shopping, hit the post office and been to the bank. Most people here are finishing work at 12.00 so I figured I'd best get down to the mall before choas ensues - as it was the car park was full when I came out. Haven't done the 12 mile run though - the weather's not great today and so I'll take my chances on tomorrow, then stiffen up nicely on my 12 hour flight!!!.

I am packed and ready - and very happy to hear Sunny's weather forecast as I want to wear pretty clothes in Disney not my jeans and a fleece!!

Christa - you wont' find me at WDW over Xmas (though anyone in Vegas better watch out). Don't get to Orlando until the 29th, but should you be lurking in any outlet malls, or Universal studios on New Years Eve, and see a British girl with yellow Hello Kitty Flip Flops (relying on Sunny's forecast there again!!!) that reveal two black toenails, just come on over!!!!!!

See you soon - ooh isn't that wierd! Helen

chimera
12-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Whining alert!

Today was THE coldest day of training for me so far...46 when I left this am (I know, I know... :charac2: ). I felt awful the whole time, like I couldn't breathe, couldn't lift my legs high enough or move them fast enough. I was really worried...what if the morning of the race is below 50? But my pace was fabulous...13:53.! Go figure. :confused3

I have one of those Nike fleece headband things to cover my ears 'cause I get wicked headaches if my ears get cold inside. I tried it today, but had some issues. Can anyone explain the proper way to wear it without looking kinda dorky? My hair was sticking out everywhere :scared1:

Bree...you said something about Xmas a few pages back that seemed familiar. I've kinda not been into it this year, I think because I've been more concerned about training. Now that we're training...and 20 people will be here Sun looking for food...I'm certainly more into it. I think it's more abject terror at how far behind I am than joy ;)

Solo...congrats on your LR! Yes, 4pm at TE to meet and greet, then we start eating at 4:30. I'll have a big Lime green sign so we can find each other.

Helen...the tinsel sounds like a nice touch! Glad we could share some Suth'n inflections with you...after all, you've given us stonker and loo roll!

BTW...I hope no one's disappointed...no one in my family has an accent.

Jennifer...congrats on your book! Now I'll need to get both yours and Helen's autographs ;)

Carrie...that's a pretty amazing photo! Wasn't that a lake last time we saw it?

Susan...what a great photo! Nice to finally meet you!

Sunny...I've been thinking about the 7-day forecast, too. Weather is pretty unpredictable this time of year, so we'll know more as we get closer. I just hope there's no arctic blast coldfront on its way that week...I can deal with your 50s to 70s prediction.

I think those of you who've lost motivation with the taper can add me to your list. Seems like we've trained so hard up to this point, it's odd to be doing less. I'm trying to look at it as a way to stay conditioned and that this part is just as important as increasing mileage and pace, but it's still weird.

chimera
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
1. When do you start your Garmin? As you cross the start line, or for those of us near the back corrals, as soon as the starting gun goes off? I was planning to start when I cross the start line, but wondered if the other way was better.

2. What if we can't find each other before/after the races? I'd hate to miss the chance to meet any of you.

3. If I'm going to be wearing a lot of layers during the dark thirty wait before the race, wearing a few layers to start the race, then stripping them off and tossing them to the side during the race, where should I pin my race number? On my pants?

4. Why can I never remember to put Chapstick on until after I start a run? I always think I should, but don't seem to remember it until I'm part way in.

5. Which bus should I plan to take to the start? I don't really want to get on the 3am bus as getting there too early could be bad. I'm trying to balance waiting in the potential cold too long vs getting there too late to get a good place in the corral.

6. Potty time...I'm going to try to go 3 or 4 times before the race starts, but does that mean I'll lose my place in the corral.

7. Any halfers want to meet at BCV Sun morning to cheer on the fullers? We could grab breakfast/lunch at Boardwalk then watch as our teammates cruise through mile 24.

8. Will I drive myself, my family and y'all nuts with all these ramblings by race day?

Lisa loves Pooh
12-22-2005, 08:41 PM
My one drawback at this point seems to be my right knee. I had thought my problem was my hip, but lately I have seen that the true cause is my knee. DR seems to think it may be a torn meniscus, we'll see more after the holidays. At this point it bothers me more when sitting than walking so that's good motivation to keep on walking in an odd sort of way. If it does turn out to be a meniscus tear, then I have Lisa's experience to fall back on. She's come back so far so quickly it gives me hope!

Enjoy your taper time. Marathon day will be here before you know it!

So sorry to hear about that!!!

Did they do an MRI????

I was told either way--I could run with it...but my pain got to a point and timing worked with getting it repaired. Once repaired--it was all about pain tolerance once I was given a green light at each level.

For me--the darn sucker hurt worse when walking than when running--and any supreme bending--like in a squat position or sitting indian style--hurt....but not the actual getting into that position if it makes sense. (My chiro said I probably didn't have a tear b/c I didn't have pains when doing squats :confused3 ).

The good news is--if that is what it is....all of our efforts thus far and into the race don't really further damage it :cheer2: . Possibility it could but highly unlikely. I recommend taking the hills easy. I think I had my tear for years---and the "complex" part that it had (where it splits and looks like a fork in the road) happened in August when I was doing "hills" on my treadmill.

Good luck!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
To everyone who has done the WDW Half before......maybe a dumb question, but I am so new to all this. :blush:

If they are putting everyone in corrals based on estimated finish time, I am correct in assuming that not everyone starts at the same time? Or do they just bring you up to the start line in groups based on your corral?

If this is correct, how do you know how you are doing? Not that I will have to worry about this but how would you know if you were winning then? You wouldn't, right, because if say for instance you were in the third corral, you could be the fastest but not be in the front.

Or am I just amazingly confused???? :confused3

Maybe I should go this year even though I am not entered so I can better understand.

BTW I am already planning on some local halfs so I won't be such an amateur when the WDW Half rolls around. :flower:
Not a dumb question at all.

The corrals are just a way to line you up--so think of yourself just standing in line with 15,000 of your closest friends. :crowded: The dividers that separate the corrals are removed just prior to the start--so no delays once the race has started in waiting for that. Just waiting for the congestion to clear up.

The elites are up front---so they pretty much are winning.

There are two times--the OFFICIAL time--which is the race time once the race starts.....this is how all the head of the pack finishers are determined---1st 2nd 3rd overall.

The second time is your CHIP time. You wear a CHAMPIONSHIP timing chip on your race shoe. When you cross the start--you will hear one of thousands of beeps. As you cross timing mats throughout the course--you will hear a beep. Your "chip time" is the amount of time it actually took you to complete the race. Both times will be posted on your finishers certificate.

Your CHIP time needs to be 7 hours or less to count as an official finisher. This is based on the VERY LAST person to cross the start. 7 HOURS after that last person crosses the start mat---then the finishing mat is shut off. Last year--the mat was shut off at 7:13. So between the first chip to cross and the last chip to cross--it took only 13 minutes.

While in the 3rd corral--chances are you won't be faster than the elite runners in the first corral....so your time would have no bearing on overall placement unless you indeed crossed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. However--most likely (though I really have no idea--this is just how I have seen it done elsewhere)--the age group 1, 2, 3 placements---might be based on chip time. So the person who completed 26.2 or 13.1 miles the fastest is considered for that.

Lisa loves Pooh
12-22-2005, 08:55 PM
My husband rushed home (3 hr drive to Va Beach), but she died early on Friday morning. :sad1: I stayed home with the kids throughout the weekend, and we are leaving tonight for Va Beach to attend the funeral tomorrow. I haven't run since last week, and my knee is hurting more than ever despite the "rest" (I made a doctor's appt for this Thursday). There will not likely be any time/energy for exercise this week, and I know I should rest the week after anyway to prepare for the race. The most I have ever done was one day of wogging 10 miles (and then my knee pain started). Before then I was only averaging 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. I feel guilty worrying about my ability to finish the race when there are bigger things to grieve... :guilty: but completing my first half-marathon is about more than just a WDW trip and I still need to do this. I was really counting on this week to build my final endurance. So my confidence in my ability to do the half has taken a nosedive!

:grouphug: So sorry about your husband's and your loss.

While my setback was of a different variety last year--I didn't run for about 2 weeks between Dec 11th and Dec 25th due to injury--and then only very lightly (much less than taper mileage actually) between Christmas and the race. And except for the flu--I finished no problem. I was able to cross and get my medal.

Don't worry about anything than family right now--your body and mind will let you know when you are ready to get on the training road again. Training when you aren't able to really do so--could put you at greater risk for a setback possibly rendering the half impossible. With your injury and the death of your MIL--this week really wouldn't have added too much to get your ready for Disney. Take the week off--take care of you and your family...and your body will do what it can do when it NEEDS to do it.

Again--my condelences. :( :grouphug:

Lisa loves Pooh
12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I have lost my desire to do the 1/2, but I hope to get it back soon. It feels strange to no longer want to do it after I have spent eleven months training. I got the shirts today, which made me very proud to be part of the WISH team. I really look forward to meeting all of you and watching DH run the marathon. I think I will look back at my photos from last year and try to get inspired.

In all honesty--I about lost my desire as well. More kicking myself for what could have been and for what I have to settle with. Dumb, I know. Anywho---I think it is all coming back to me now.

It may be part of the taper-depression! When you hit Expo-- :wizard: will be flying. :banana:

Lisa loves Pooh
12-22-2005, 09:15 PM
1. When do you start your Garmin? As you cross the start line, or for those of us near the back corrals, as soon as the starting gun goes off? I was planning to start when I cross the start line, but wondered if the other way was better.

I start mine when I cross the start (to roughly match chip time). I don't know what the official buffer for finishing is--all I know is the OFFICIAL race pace....so 7 hours for the full and 3.5 hours for the half. This is why I set it at the start. Clocks all over the course will be set to match the gun time.

2. What if we can't find each other before/after the races? I'd hate to miss the chance to meet any of you.

I believe Lily suggested meeting at the "W" tent for "WISH Team" in the family reuniting area. Your family can do the same--or you can meet at your family letter and then go on over to "W".

3. If I'm going to be wearing a lot of layers during the dark thirty wit before the race, wearing a few layers to start the race, then stripping them off and tossing them to the side during the race, where should I pin my race number? On my pants?
Pin your race number on the layer that you will not be removing. Unless you have practice with a piece of paper on your pants--this can get rather annoying during the race. Pin it on what will be your outermost layer once you have stripped layers. I pin mine on my Team in Training singlet as that won't be disrobed. If it will be a "cold" run--I wear a longsleeved non-disrobing wicking material garment underneath my singlet. If not--I toss off my outer layers to just the singlet when I have reached comfortable racing temperature.

If you pin to your pants---make extra sure you didn't pin to your shirt. Otherwise--that trip to the port-o-let could be :earseek: .

4. Why can I never remember to put Chapstick on until after I start a run? I always think I should, but don't seem to remember it until I'm part way in.

Make it part of your dressing routine--lay it on top of your clothes when you lay out your racing ensemble the night before the race. Don't get dressed until you have put on chapstick. I forgot my cell phone and gu even though they were in my car on my LLR day. :confused3 I just hope my nightmares don't become reality. :earseek:

5. Which bus should I plan to take to the start? I don't really want to get on the 3am bus as getting there too early could be bad. I'm trying to balance waiting in the potential cold too long vs getting there too late to get a good place in the corral.

Pack Garbage bags--they block the wind. By comfy clothes from Good Will--you won't wear these to run in--they just keep you warm at the start. Buy an old blanket for the same purpose. Be in line for the bus by 3:45am---those in line by 4am will get to the start on time. Corrals don't open until 4:30 am I believe. But you must allow potty time (wait in line, potty, repeat 4x) once you get to the start waiting area.

6. Potty time...I'm going to try to go 3 or 4 times before the race starts, but does that mean I'll lose my place in the corral.

No--corrals don't open until 4:30am or so--once you arrive--wait in line, potty, repeat 4x. When you walk to your corral--hit a port-o-let along the way (it will be lined up all along the road--you can't miss 'em). The corrals don't get hopping until about 5:30am...so as long as you catch the bus by 4am--you won't lose a place in the corral. You will have voided your bladder piror to all of this anyway. And yes--about a hundred jump the fence and pee in the median. :earseek:

7. Any halfers want to meet at BCV Sun morning to cheer on the fullers? We could grab breakfast/lunch at Boardwalk then watch as our teammates cruise through mile 24.

I'm on my TNT cheer squad--so I'll be teaming with them (I'm a captain--so a must do for me). But I will be more than happy to cheer any WISHers I see along the course!!!

8. Will I drive myself, my family and y'all nuts with all these ramblings by race day?

:rotfl2: Not even close to likely. :teeth:

gatorphipps
12-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Christa - you wont' find me at WDW over Xmas (though anyone in Vegas better watch out). Don't get to Orlando until the 29th, but should you be lurking in any outlet malls, or Universal studios on New Years Eve, and see a British girl with yellow Hello Kitty Flip Flops (relying on Sunny's forecast there again!!!) that reveal two black toenails, just come on over!!!!!!

See you soon - ooh isn't that wierd! Helen
We will not be leaving until the 27th. Look for my nasty toenails too! :rotfl: They are part of the bragging rights!

Off to do the 12 - 15 miler. Will let you know how it goes.
Christa

zoegirl
12-23-2005, 07:15 AM
hey ya'll thought I'd post before the 12-14/15 miler.
I won't post quotes b/c I don't have that much time but here are some responses to some things that have been said the last day or so....

Can you believe two weeks from today most of us will be in WDW??
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

As for accents, ya'll better watch out 'cause mine is as thick as gravy :rotfl2:

Susan: not only will we look for you on race weekend, now that we've seen your pic, we'll be looking for you on the streets of Charlotte!

Mazzy: So sorry to hear about your loss. Race weekend might end up being a nice break for you. I'm sure running will help keep your mind off things. Don't wory so much about when you're going to get your runs in. Your training is pretty much in the bag at this point. Just do what you can when you have time.

Mel: start your garmin when you cross the start. You probably won't even start running when you cross. The first year we ran, when the gun went off, we didn't start running for 11 minutes....crazy huh?

There are plenty of port-a-jons before the race and along the way. In fact in the 4 marathons I've run, disney has the most I have ever seen..naturally :earsgirl:

Don't wish too hard for warm weather..remember: warm weather means more sweat, and more sweat means chaffing....and chaffing means you'll be walking funny for a few days :earseek: not fun!
So let's hope for 40s - 50s at the start and 60s by the finish....a little warm but pretty much perfect for Orlando...

Well must go eat a bite before heading out to meet the Evil Queen..

later! :wave2:

~bree~

TiffJ
12-23-2005, 07:54 AM
O.k. it is getting to be sooooo real now. It is time to make my Wal Mart shopping list for packing. I usually work on it a couple of days because it takes that long for me to think of everything. My body is making me mad. I think I'm trying to get sick. Felt cruddy yesterday & by last night had a fever. Fell asleep on sofa by 6:00. I feel better this a.m. but I am going to skip my 30 min of xt so I make sure & have the energy for my 8 miler tomorrow. I'm excited about having that one done too. My friend said "you're doing 8 miles on Christmas eve?" I told her it was better than on Christmas & it's part of the training program so of course I'm doing it. The weird alien part is that I dont even mind it.

Had to do TM yesterday. Talk about STONKER!!!! It took 40 min for me to go only 2.3 miles. I go so much slower on that stupid thing. But at least I got the steps in!

I wish I could come cheer on the full Sun but we have to leave that morning. DS has school Monday.

10 more days till I'm outa here!!!

wtpclc
12-23-2005, 08:28 AM
PLEASE don't wish for too warm of weather! ;) I'll die.

Mel - Um, well, that's the weather I was sleeveless in last week. Scary how we become acclimated to our climates. Yes, that was a lake when you last saw it. :rotfl:

It has been more about training and less about teh holidays fo rme too. ALthough, 3 mnights in a row of closing down the shops helps, sort of. I finished this mornign and dh will pick up 1 thing on his way home. Then we can wrap. We usually open our gifts to each other Christmas Eve, but this year we're doing a 10-mniler instead. What has happened to me. Our gifts will wait until Tuesay or Wednesday.

I'm not sure if I can meet anybody to cheer for teh half, as I want ofigure out what my cheering secction wants to do. :goodvibes I will be cheering for the half, though.

Those of you who take Mel up on her offer, I'm sure we'll need you at that point for cheering.

Put my spectator packets together last night. Still need to add pics of what we'll be wearing. (Have to take with for Christmas travels) I'm soooo excited!

My parents are getting excited too. Dad told me we could probably shave another 30 seconds off our pace under race conditions. I said, "um, well, maybe, but not if I run into any characters along the way." ;)

I can't wait to meet you al!!

Well, We leave tomorrow after our run, so this will likely be my last big post.

So,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to Everyone!!! :grouphug: Thansk for making this a year I'll never forget.

Tiger Lily 03
12-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I too am looking forward to my "short miles" this weekend. It's a holiday? Oh my! The TM will still be my friend to complete this mini long run!

Yes, if anyone hasn't gotten to read the other thread about exchanging cell #s, I am interested in making any attempt at hooking up kind of as the time goes with anyone who might be looking to gather somewhere/sometime.
PM for my cell # and it's yours.

And as Lisa repeated above, plan on meeting up after the race at the "W" reuniting area if ya can wait for me that is...

Anyone wth family members cheering, make sure to tell them to cheer us ALL along. I realy appreciated strangers encouraging me as I went along. Tell them to not be shy about it.
:sunny:

Mel, great questions. No, not driving crazy, I appreciate your asking for sure. ...answers,mostly what Lisa said! :teeth:

Another tip, someone posted last year for those "old' clothes that will be tossed, you might want to cut them along the sides and then duct tape them closed. They will "tear away" easier so you can toss aside. Definitely bring a garbage bag, I used mine to sit on for a bit while I waited and observed until start time.

Safe travels, and happy running this weekend, Merry Christmas.

Honeibee
12-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Not a dumb question at all.

The corrals are just a way to line you up--so think of yourself just standing in line with 15,000 of your closest friends. :crowded: The dividers that separate the corrals are removed just prior to the start--so no delays once the race has started in waiting for that. Just waiting for the congestion to clear up.

The elites are up front---so they pretty much are winning.

There are two times--the OFFICIAL time--which is the race time once the race starts.....this is how all the head of the pack finishers are determined---1st 2nd 3rd overall.

The second time is your CHIP time. You wear a CHAMPIONSHIP timing chip on your race shoe. When you cross the start--you will hear one of thousands of beeps. As you cross timing mats throughout the course--you will hear a beep. Your "chip time" is the amount of time it actually took you to complete the race. Both times will be posted on your finishers certificate.

Your CHIP time needs to be 7 hours or less to count as an official finisher. This is based on the VERY LAST person to cross the start. 7 HOURS after that last person crosses the start mat---then the finishing mat is shut off. Last year--the mat was shut off at 7:13. So between the first chip to cross and the last chip to cross--it took only 13 minutes.

While in the 3rd corral--chances are you won't be faster than the elite runners in the first corral....so your time would have no bearing on overall placement unless you indeed crossed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. However--most likely (though I really have no idea--this is just how I have seen it done elsewhere)--the age group 1, 2, 3 placements---might be based on chip time. So the person who completed 26.2 or 13.1 miles the fastest is considered for that.

Lisa, thanks SOOO MUCH for that answer. I really really really appreciate it! My post kinda got lost back there so I didn't think I'd get an answer, so THANK YOU! I'm learning more and more every day about my new obsession!

:wave2:

chimera
12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Honeibee...sorry that your post got missed. The thread moves pretty fast these days, I know I'm not able to keep up with everyone as well as I used to. I'm glad you're able to get in on the excitement. That's how I ended up here...by finding the 2005 WISH team's preparations. It looked like so much fun! And we'll look forward to having you along for the run next year!

Lisa...thanks for always being there with the answers and advice!

Lily...PM on its way!

mazzy... :grouphug: to you and your family. I lost my dad suddenly right after New Year's 4 years ago. He had called a couple days before Xmas to thank us for the gifts we sent. That was the last time I talked to him and he's always on my mind this time of year.

Carrie...glad to hear your dad's well enough to make the trip!

Off to the groceries and such. Everyone comes to us for Xmas, so we'll be cooking for the next 3 days. We eat at 1pm if any of y'all would like to join us!

Honeibee
12-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Don't worry Chimera, I know it was a REAL beginner's question anyway. :blush:

THANK YOU for maintaining these threads. I have learned so much! :banana: Already I am driving my poor brand new husband crazy with concerns about sweeps, and split times, and making sure I pack my walking clothes and shoes in my carry on.....Yeah, OK I'm a little ahead of schedule but I get so caught up in it! :teeth:

Merry Christmas to all my fellow WISHers!

TEK224
12-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Honeibee - Thanks for asking those questions. I had some of the same ones. Love your pix of Kenny. He is a hottie!

Lisa - Thanks for answering the questions. Always good to have a resident expert! :wave:

I can use any and all cheering along the course for both races. I'll be near the back of the pack.

I have to get myself ready for the actual race. It's going to be hard to focus on my steps when I see the characters out on the course. But if I'm too close to sweeper time I'll just have to :wave: to them and keep going. But I really hope I have some time to stop and get pix. I want to enjoy the whole experience of the event.

And when the races are over I plan on being on :cloud9:
Terri

wtpclc
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Mel - Forgot one. I've switched to a hat. I like the feel of headbands better, but I looked pretty scary!

PM me if any marathon cheerers want the info to track me.

TiffJ
12-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Carrie- I GOT MY SHIRT TODAY!!!!!!! I absolutely love it! We will definately be noticed wearing these. I can't wait to wear it tomorrow for my LR. Thanks!

Honebee-it's never too early to plan in my book. Being an compulsive WDW fan I am all for planning. At least your new obsession is a healthy one

Tiger Lily- I will have my entourage cheer for everyone they see in the WISH shirts. They have accepted that you guys have gotten me through this & are excited for all of us. I have made my cheering section shirts to wear on Saturday. They turned out pretty good. I may wear mine to dinner Fri since I will wear my WISH shirt for the race.

I hope it doesnt get to 70 on race day. I would be happy if it stayed in the 50's. It's been a couple of months since I've trained in 70* weather.

plutosmyfav
12-23-2005, 05:30 PM
I think I need to start taking notes when I read, there's so many comments I want to make and I'm sure I'll miss half of them.

First, did my 12 miles today at the Y. 12 at 6.0mph 0% grade (that's my reward for being in taper). Rushed (no stretching or cool down :rolleyes: ) straight to an apt, then rushed to pick up DD for more marathon shopping. I am beat! I longingly remember thoses lazy summer LRs where I got to rest for nearly an hour before hitting the umpteen family events!!!!!

I tried out my WISH shirt. Have you seen those babies in the sun? We are going to stand out big time :smooth: I cut the collar off of mine and probably will cut the cuffs off the arms (sleeveless shirt). I may even cut a little of the length off as it is much longer than I am used to wearing and didn't like the double layer sweat effect there. But I think it should work well.

Lily-- great idea about cutting and taping the layers.

Mel-- It got into the 40s today and I was sweating wearing a Tshirt outside! Please don't wish for warm weather-- after all you had great pace in the "cold" weather!

As for the winter headband thingy-- sorry, no cool way to wear 'em! But around here we are all used to looking like dorks in the winter. Have you ever run in a baklava?

I'm hoping to start the race ~50s and end no higher than 70. Its Disney, If I can dream it...

Another question: sun screen? I will lather up before leaving my room, but sun won't be an issue until 2+ hours into the race, will I be covered? Remember I'm cutting the better part of my shirt away :rotfl2:

As for focusing past Christmas, I was really there, but now I'm in the Christmas frenzy. I get waves of panic thinking after this major push is over I have to start getting ready for the trip. I haven't started packing, planning, nothing :scared1: I usually start practice packing months before the trip. Dx was wondering what all he should pack. He doesn't know yet that he doesn't get any space in the suitcases. We travel strickly carryon so he's going to be very limited. I imagine one carryone will be just for my race gear. DS gets a carryon since he bought a ticket, so there will be two carryones for all of our clothes. Oh I'm starting to panic just thinking about it.

It dawned on me the other day that I could easily forget my Garmin. I haven't used it in weeks!

I'd love to cheer on the halfers but I have a delicate balance with Dx and DS, they (mostly Dx) will only tolerate so much of this stuff. I will probably need to keep Sat a dedicated family day.

As for making sure we all hook up, maybe we could share cell phone numbers via PMs?

Sunny

kaf7878
12-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeah! Got our 13 miles done last night! It felt wonderful from last weekends 20 miler :cool1:

Today we have an easy 4 and then nothing tomorrow!! Actually the next two weeks are pretty easy so I'm really feeling good. Unfortunately, I caught my kids' colds so I really need to knock this out before we go.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Kelly

TiffJ
12-24-2005, 08:09 AM
I just checked the 15 day forecast on accuweather and it looks great. :sunny: Now I know not to get too excited because it could change 100 times between now & then but Sat it says low 46 high 65. That would be awesome. The weather for that whole week we are there looks great.

Do you think it would look too tacky to wear our wonderfully bright WISH shirt with lt blue shorts? I bought some black ones but I dont like them as much as the lt blue ones. DH says if I'm going to wear that bright shirt why not go all out & really get noticed by wearing the lt blue shorts with it. :teeth:

Merry Christmas everyone. 10 more days till the Johnsons invade the World :banana:

Lisa loves Pooh
12-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Off to do our 8 miles in the brrrrr cold! Okay--It's 46...that's cold to me anyway ;).

Looking that highs are still in the 70s until Jan 2nd. That's nice weather. I won't hope for 80s--but 60s to low 70s will be dreamy for me :)

plutosmyfav
12-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Terri-- by all means clash at will :rotfl2: I'm going to look like an 80s Flash Dance person with my cut up shirt. But I don't care, as long as the WISH is promently displayed!!!!

Guess what? I went for a 5.6 mile run OUTSIDE today. It was wonderful. 47 deg F and definitely warm enough to run without a jacket. I really hope that 45/65 forecast holds true. Anyway, when I logged on to update my Run to Disney I discovered I am only .68 miles from my goal. If I hadn't already taken my shower I would have ran out the door to complete it today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to complete it tomorrow and that will be my Christmas present to myself :banana: :banana: :banana: I think Garmin was playing games, though, it said my avg pace was 9:06. I really would like to believe that but I was taking my own sweet time.

Happy Holidays!
Sunny

TEK224
12-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Congrats Sunny! The weather is great here, too - almost 50. I was beginning to get used to the 30 degree LW's. Figured if a cold spell hit Orlando on race weekend I'd be ready.

Although it's very possible I'll be clashing too (never have been too fashion-conscience), it was Tiff who's wearing the lt. blue shorts with our lime green shirts. (it's so hard to keep up with these posts and who said what.)

Terri

Tiger Lily 03
12-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Everyone, forgive me for being a bit OT at this exact moment. Someone on the main WISH posted a cry for help and I thought who better to "run" to assist than us.

Would those that are able please respond...I will as soon as I can, but I'm in the midst of making dinner and must run b4 it spills over.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=984460

TiffJ
12-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Woo Hoo!!! My lr and I did awesome! Even though I felt like poo poo. I wasn't going to not do it. I thought about Lisa doing the marathon last year w/the flu. I thought if she can do that then surely I can do a measly 8 miles with the sinus crud. The first .5 mi was warm up & the other 7.5 was a

14:11 pace

I tried to wear my new black shorts. After 1 1/2 miles I ran in the house to change. They were bugging me plus it was way too cold for shorts. My legs were so red from the wind & cold.

Sunny- you were right. Boy is that shirt bright in the sunlight. I love it!!!!

Lily-I've already responded. Hopefully we can keep her coming in Jan.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

chimera
12-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Come join us for a new week!

Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=10948052#post10948052)

budbeerlady
01-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Trying to convince myself I could do this in 2007, okay maybe 2008.

Minnie
01-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi! I don't want your post to get lost. Please come repost on this week's thread!!!