PDA

View Full Version : Need book shelf (shelves) to store 12x12 albums

wuv tigger
12-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Anyone got any ideas.

It doesn't have to be for Christmas. My albums keep falling off the end table.

thanks,
Judy

PIRATEGIRL007
12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
bump...

I'd be interested in some new ones, too. Unfortunately all my albums got to heavy for thier shelf and tumbled to the ground. :earseek: So now they are stacked up all over my scrap room and they need a new safer home.

goofymom/pop
12-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I searched everywhere and ended up having the hubby make mine. He used black formica covered MDF board. They are awesome. They are actually 14 inches deep. Love them!

Honeybehr1
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Goofymom/pop by any chance do you have a picture? I am in such a bind with my albums. There are so many of them and I have a ton of pages to go into albums that I dont have right now. But I prioritized and am working on my Disney album

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Honeybehr.....give me a minute or two.....got to go to work, so I may have to post it tonight.....he did an awesome job and i would love to share it with you.

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
lets see if this works.....here is the full shot

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/goofymom5553/xmasatDaves-32.jpg

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 08:18 AM
up close on one shelf

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/goofymom5553/xmasatDaves-34.jpg

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 08:19 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/goofymom5553/xmasatDaves-35.jpg

the cubbies he built too......

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 08:24 AM
sorry the pics don't give you a better idea of how great it is.

There are 4 actual shelves but I use the top as a photo shelf as you can see by the first pic.

Shelves are 14 inches deep and about 16 inches high by 36 inches wide....so glad you cannot see the dust in the pics....lol :rotfl2: oh my!

the unit is so heavy it took two men to lift it into place.....yikes!

then he built the cubbies to match they are 13inces wide by 14 deep by 6 foot wide (total) each paper cubbie is about 4to5 inches high...and the storage ones are the same as two of the paper ones. Love this set up as everything is within arms reach. I am now working on getting him to buy me a 2x4 adjustable white table for the right side, I like to work with my albums off to the side of me....:) Maybe Santa will bring it.

Let me know if you want exact demensions....I can do that later...go to go to work right now.

Honeybehr1
12-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Wow your DH did an amazing job. I am sending this thread to my Dh. He has some wood bought to make a shelving unit but it is way too cold in the garage to make it now, so I have to wait till spring.
If Dh needs more info on the dimensions, I'll let you know. Thanks for the pictures

JudithM
12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Cindy, so both of you are talented in your household! Nice scrap/scarp space!

goofymom/pop
12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes..the hubby is very good with any type of remodeling. He knew I really wanted a book shelf last year. We searched and searched, they were very expensive and very cheaply made. Luckily my neighbor has a barn in the back yard with a tool shop. So the hubby went down there every night for about a week or two and worked on the shelves and cubbies. He is great at supporting my habit....well at least until he is tired of sitting alone in the evenings...then I have to be nice and visit with him for a few days. But...basketball season is getting into full swing, so he will watch that while I scarp...lol!

PIRATEGIRL007
12-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I love them. Thanks for sharing. Sigh... your so lucky. Too cold here too, for any building, so I'll have to hope for spring as well.

OurDogCisco
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I've been searching for years for cabinet case that has doors on it that will hold 12 by 12 albums. I haven't had any luck. I'm finding that I might have resort to dining room furniture like the china cabinets without the top glass part. But I still have trouble with them because I don't have the space either. It is very frustrating...

I did find book cases at our local furniture store that held 12 by 12 albums but it doesn't have doors. They are usually on the more expensive side like in the $700 to $1000 range per bookcase. Also, you can ask the salesperson because they don't always have the book cases on display. They might only have one or two and rest you order out of a catelog which is what we ended up doing.

Anyways, good luck!

goofymom/pop
12-21-2005, 07:32 AM
:faint: :scared1: "700...to a 1000" Yikes holy cow!!!

I think the total cost of mine was under 300 which I thought was high...

Whew...guess I am lucky the hubby is handy....or my albums would be in a closet.

Twigs
12-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I just looked at this thread for the first time. I love your book cases, they really look great!

RealMickeysGirl
12-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Ikea has some on their website - looking in their new online catalog somewhere around page 134 - that are 15 inches deep. Some people don't really like ikea but I do like some of their storage stuff. Some of it looks very 50's retro but some just look like regular book cases. You can order doors for them to - which I like - I like to have some shelves to store the junk that accumulates that you really don't want to be "on display".

pattyT
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
WOW those are great!
Thanks for sharing
I hope you don't mind if I save those pictures to my harddrive to show DH when it comes time to do my scrap room!
those are great!
(I have to give him pictures of everything I want - lol)