PDA

View Full Version : Non-Dairy Dessert?

jbdreamer
12-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I am having friends for dinner this weekend, and one women is not allowed ANY dairy in her diet. (She is a new mom and is breastfeeding-and for some reason can't have dairy). I can not figure out what kind of dessert to serve. It can't contain butter, chocolate, or milk. Any ideas?

ERICS MUM
12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I guess it will have to be a fruit salad - either a tropical fruit version, or a winter, "mulled wine" type. A fresh custard would go nicely with the latter - could you make it from soya or almond milks to keep it non-dairy?

Or, what about pears poached in a red wine and cinnamon syrup, or peaches and almonds poached in white wine and amaretto syrup?

Linda

bclydia
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
What about a cake? A gingerbread cake with Cool Whip? I always like a fruit crumble. They are easy to make. You can use margarine instead of the butter in the crumb topping. Cranberries and apples are very festive. I'd even throw a little orange zest into the mix. Hmmm, getting hungry!

AprilN
12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
A fruit pie would work well - make the crust with all shortening, and it shouldn't be a problem!

clh2
12-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Sometimes for dessert I like to serve a fresh pinapple. It's a nice sweet treat, and after everyone "stuffs" themselves on a fabulous dinner, is just a refreshing way to end the meal.

jbdreamer
12-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I guess it will have to be a fruit salad - either a tropical fruit version, or a winter, "mulled wine" type. A fresh custard would go nicely with the latter - could you make it from soya or almond milks to keep it non-dairy?

Or, what about pears poached in a red wine and cinnamon syrup, or peaches and almonds poached in white wine and amaretto syrup?

Linda

Wow those pears sound good. Got a recipie?

ERICS MUM
12-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Try this. I would serve it with small almond biscuits (amaretti or macaroons we call them here in the UK) and a bowl of whipped double (heavy) cream) for those of your guests who can eat dairy. I would garnish with fresh mint leaves to add a dash of bright green.

Ingredients:
6 bosc pears
1 cup sauterne -or port
1 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
1 lemon, cut in strips , - zest of
1/2 lemon, juice of

Instructions:
1. Peel pears, leaving stem intact. Using a small melon baller, remove
stems and seeds from bottoms of pears.

2. In a saucepan that will accommodate pears upright, combine wine, water,
sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a
boil. Add pears, cook over medium heat, maintaining a boil for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, allow pears to cool slowly. Baste pears occasionally with
poaching liquid.

3. When completely cooled, chill pears. Serve on individual dessert plates;
spoon liquid over pears.

Per serving: About 180 cal, 1 g pro, 40 g car,1 g fat, 3% cal from fat, 0
mg chol, 3 mg sod, 6 g fiber.

Enjoy, Linda

ERICS MUM
12-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Jennifer,

while looking for the pear recipe I also found this, which, if you used margarine instead of butter would be non-dairy. Could be served with cream/icecream for your other guests, or with an english custard made with non-dairy milk (soya, almond)

Summer Crumble

3 Bramley apples, quartered, cored and finely chopped
2 punnets (small baskets, or pints) blackberries
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Small handful basil, chopped
5 heaping tablespoons sugar
4 heaping tablespoons flour
1/4 pound butter
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C or gas 6).
Put the fruit into the bowl with the balsamic vinegar, basil, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Add a little more sugar if your blackberries are a bit sour. Mix and put aside to marinate.
Using your fingers, rub together the flour, butter, and the rest of the sugar (you can also do this in a food processor, just blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs). I prefer to do this by hand as I like to end up with a nice rustic-looking crumble? with some bits bigger than others.
Put the fruit into an ovenproof serving dish or into individual dishes. Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit, making sure to pile more into the middle of the dish. Bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the middle of the crumble is evenly golden and the fruit has started to bubble up around the edges.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

Linda