PDA

View Full Version : DDE to Dining Plan comparison

Chuck S
12-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I thought it would be interesting to compare what our normal meals were compared to a Dining plan cost.

As to whether or not the Dining Plan will be to your advantage when it is offered to DVC members, it will certainly depend upon your dining habits and how many children may be in your party.

For us, as two adults, we will stick with the DDE. Totals listed will include DDE discount & tip where applicable. We also usually tend to have our large meal of the day for lunch, not dinner. Most breakfasts were cereal and danish in our room. We also had somesome Publix ice cream for midnight snacks. Overall some days we spent more than the Dining Plan would cost, some days less...but the plan would have cost us more over all. It should be noted that we did not "eat to save $$", this is our normal dining style.

Where we ate:

12-6 Lunch - Olivia's (Arrived at 3pm)
1 - Soup, Salad Sandwich meal
1- Soup
1- Monte Cristo Sandwich
2 Water for Beverages (n/c)
$24.69

12-7 Lunch - Rose & Crown
2 - Soup
2 - Fish & Chips
2 - Coffee
$ 46.48

12-8 Lunch - Tony's Town Square
2 - Soup
1- Baked Ziti
1- Pasta Primavera
1- Coffee
1- Cinnamon Gelato
$ 45.33

12-8 Counter Dinner - Cosmic Rays
2 - Cheeseburger Meals
2 - Ice water (n/c)
$12.55

12-9 Lunch-Brown Derby
1- Cobb Salad (split as appetizer)
1- Grouper
1- Orecchiette Seafood Pasta
1- Celebration dessert
2- Coffee
$ 64.62

12-9 Dinnner - Everything Pop Food Court
1- Lemonade
1- Orange Juice
2- Tuna Croissant
$ 20.06

12-10 Breakfast - Olivia's
2- Coffee
1- Sm Orange Juice
1- Two Egg Breakfast
1- Pancakes & Eggs
$ 23.12

12-10 Lunch -Tusker House
2- Turkey Wrap & Soup combos
2- Ice Water (n/c)
$ 12.42

12-10 Dinner -Everyhing Pop Food Court
2- Chicken Parmesan with Arugula
1- Fruit Cup
1- Tie Dye Cheesecake
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.22

12-11 Lunch - Sci-fi
2 - BLT soup
1- Artichoke Dip
2- Rueben Sandwich
1- Coffee
1- Coke
$ 46.94

12-12 Lunch - Sunshine Seasons
1- Beet Salad
1- Turkey Muffuletta
1- Soup
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.14

12-12 Dinner - Chef's de France (Candlelight Pkg)
$ 95.00

12-13 Breakfast - Olivia's
2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 19.66

12-13 Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
2- Soup
2- Pilgrim's Feast (Turkey)
2- Coffee
$ 35.96

12-14 Breakfast - Olivia's
(Lost receipt)
$ 22.61

12-14 Lunch -Chefs de France
1- Escargot
1- Salade Nicoise
1- Filet of Sole
1- Perrier
2 - Glasses of wine
$ 64.41

12-15 Breakfast - Olivia's
2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 20.16

Total $ 592.37

Dining Plan for 9 nights $ 683.82 (plus tax, if they apply it)

JimMIA
12-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I didn't keep careful track of our dining costs on our recent trip, but we used DDE and it is a better deal for us, for the way we eat. We saved $75-80 on our recent trip, so we're in the black already and still have 12 months to go on the DDE card.

However, there are a lot of folks who don't qualify for DDE and the dining plan will suit many of them. I'm sure there are also people for whom the dining plan is a better option than DDE. For example, someone with 3-4 kids might do considerably better. It's good to have choices.

calypso*a*go-go
12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sure there are also people for whom the dining plan is a better option than DDE. For example, someone with 3-4 kids might do considerably better. It's good to have choices.

This is only true if your children are 9 or under. Otherwise, you have to pay adult price for the DP and it ends up costing more money than using the DDE (in our case anyway). We stayed on a MYW package during our last visit and qualified to purchase the plan, but opted not to for this very reason. I really wish they would have a rate structure for juniors (my kids are 12 & 10).

DisFlan
12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
As Jim says, it's good to have choices. We did well with the DDE last trip because we ate more than one TS on most days, had wine or drinks with most meals and visited several lounges. We saved about $400 during the trip. But this might not remain the same for every future trip. We were four adults on the last trip. If we go with young nieces or future grandchildren (likely meaning more CS meals), we might well opt for the DP.

DisFlan

NMW
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I think the OP is right, for his family DDE may be better. They seem to eat the majority of their TS meals at lunch, thus making them less expensive. We do the opposite-all TS for dinner, and counter service for lunch. we also do a lot of TS breakfasts too. We were at the BWV Dec 1-9 and we kept really good track of our meals with the DDE discount just so I could compare it to the meal plan! For us, 2 adults & 3 kids, the dining plan wins by far. I think I would still get the DDE card to use for any table service breakfasts and alcohol, but our CS lunch, snack and TS dinner would be covered by the meal plan. We would absolutely save money. A counter service for lunch cost our family around $45 every day. Then you have everyone getting a bottle of soda and my daughters popcorn later in the day, around $15. Then dinner for 2 adults & 3 kids at places like Kona Cafe, San Angel Inn, Rose and Crown, etc. are around $120-$140. It's a big savings. Plus, we love the idea of meals being pre-paid and just going and eating!

I understand what some say about 10 and 11 year olds, but you'd have to pay adult price for them at buffets anyway, unless you lie about their age, which I wouldn't. Many people on the restaurant board have posted restaurants not letting 11 and 12 year olds order off the 9 and under kids menu or charging them double for a kids meal. In our case, for our Oct trip our oldest turns 10 about 3 weeks before the trip, thus making him an adult in the eyes of Disney. The meal plan is still worth it for us. He ate the adult Counter Service food every time anyway. The kids portions are really tiny at those restaurants. We'd have to pay an adult price for him at places like the Cape May Cafe Clam Bake or Ohana anyway, since he'll be 10.

I do like the DDE card too. We ate dinner twice at the POLY (Kona and Ohana) and sat at those little tables drinking tropical drinks waiting for our tables and the DDE card does take a nice little chunk off. :) We also have a princess freak in the family and do both princess breakfasts. Although, when the price increase goes into effect for CRT, you can't use DDE anymore anyway. We also always do Cape May's and Crystal Palace's breakfasts and a couple Spoodles too. So, I think the DDE card may still be worth it in addition to the dining plan, as long as we have AP's. I'm just so happy about the dining plan though!!! :)

kaseyC
12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
For our trip 12/4-12/9, the DDE card was of greatvalue for us. We had a party of 10 and we ate 5 TS dinners(50s PT, WCC, Ohana, CMC & FF) including a good amount of cocktails for the 5 adults and specialty drinks for the kids. We also ate 2 TS breakfasts (Spoodles & PSB) and 1 CS lunch at Flame Tree. We saved over $300. Our dinner at WCC included a special B-day cake for my nephew that I pre-ordered, it was included on our final bill and the discount was applied to it as well which was a nice surprise.

Chuck S
12-16-2005, 06:20 PM
I absolutely agree that traveling with children the Dining Plan will probably be your best deal. The purpose of my post was to tell adults that unless they normally eat a full dinner, the Dining plan may not be their best value. I encourage everyone (especially all adult groups) that may be traveling to Disney before the Meal Plan is available to add up their actual expenses, as I did, and compare it to what the meal plan will cost, then make their decision accordingly, rather than saying "$38 per person seems like a great deal."

Personally, I'm surprised at the difference, when adding in that nearly $100 Candlelight Package.

crazywig
12-16-2005, 07:54 PM
chuck, i'm curious as to why you were eating dinner at the Pop foodcourt? twice! from your breakfast choice i assume you were at OKW?

Simba's Mom
12-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I thought it would be interesting to compare what our normal meals were compared to a Dining plan cost.

As to whether or not the Dining Plan will be to your advantage when it is offered to DVC members, it will certainly depend upon your dining habits and how many children may be in your party.

For us, as two adults, we will stick with the DDE. Totals listed will include DDE discount & tip where applicable. We also usually tend to have our large meal of the day for lunch, not dinner. Most breakfasts were cereal and danish in our room. We also had somesome Publix ice cream for midnight snacks. Overall some days we spent more than the Dining Plan would cost, some days less...but the plan would have cost us more over all. It should be noted that we did not "eat to save $$", this is our normal dining style.

Where we ate:

1- Soup
1- Monte Cristo Sandwich
$24.69

2 - Soup
2 - Fish & Chips
2 - Coffee
$ 46.48

2 - Soup
1- Baked Ziti
1- Pasta Primavera
1- Coffee
1- Cinnamon Gelato
$ 45.33

2 - Cheeseburger Meals
2 - Ice water (n/c)
$12.55

12-9 Lunch-Brown Derby
1- Grouper
1- Celebration dessert
2- Coffee
$ 64.62

1- Lemonade
1- Orange Juice
2- Tuna Croissant
$ 20.06

2- Coffee
1- Sm Orange Juice
1- Two Egg Breakfast
1- Pancakes & Eggs
$ 23.12

2- Ice Water (n/c)
$ 12.42

1- Fruit Cup
1- Tie Dye Cheesecake
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.22

12-11 Lunch - Sci-fi
2 - BLT soup
1- Artichoke Dip
2- Rueben Sandwich
1- Coffee
1- Coke
$ 46.94

1- Beet Salad
1- Turkey Muffuletta
1- Soup
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.14

$ 95.00

2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 19.66

2- Soup
2- Coffee
$ 35.96

(Lost receipt)
$ 22.61

1- Escargot
1- Salade Nicoise
1- Filet of Sole
1- Perrier
2 - Glasses of wine
$ 64.41

2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 20.16

Total $ 592.37

Thanks-I found this very interesting. We currently have the DDE card and have often wondered about the use of it vs. the Dining plan in the future. I really appreciate the thorough comparison you did.

Chuck S
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
chuck, i'm curious as to why you were eating dinner at the Pop foodcourt? twice! from your breakfast choice i assume you were at OKW?

We were going to eat at Earl of Sandwich, but they were packed with people

We were staying at OKW. We really weren't hungry enough for a sit-down dinner at Olivia's. Having stayed on a previous trip at POP for one night, we liked their food court selections for a light dinner, plus their food court accepts the DDE, so we drove over :) And their tie dye chesecake is yummy ;)

If we didn't have a car, I certainly wouldn't have tried to get there using Disney buses just for dinner.

Dean
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
As I've posted previously, we have had 2 long weekends since this DDP can on board and used DDE. I did go back and look at costs both times and NO day did we spend as much as the daily charge for this year with the DDP. We generally ate 2 sit downs per day, part at Signature restaurants and had MORE than what we wanted. It will tend to be the best value for those on shorter stays, those who can legally have a larger group than what they pay for (multiple rooms), those with older kids who cost as kids (7-9?) and those who want to get the most expensive items. If you plan out where and how you use it you can show a value. Whether it's a real or perceived value depends on what you'd do without the program and the other variables as noted above. Studies have shown that people on All Inclusive type plans start to eat much less after 3 days. My concern is that many people are willing to pay for the "convenience" which I feel is a very poor and uninformed choice, IMO.

CarolA
12-16-2005, 09:20 PM
I generally just have one sit down meal every few days. Otherwise I feel like I am going to "explode" LOL! SO I can't see how for me the dining plan will be a good deal for someone like me.

I think that Dean may have hit the nail on the head. Disney figures that at least SOME of us will pay for it "assuming" its a good deal and they will make LOTS of money. When this was first released I read several posts from folks who left Disney with "unused vouchers" or "money in DIsney's pocket"

DisFlan
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Studies have shown that people on All Inclusive type plans start to eat much less after 3 days. My concern is that many people are willing to pay for the "convenience" which I feel is a very poor and uninformed choice, IMO.

We discovered this real quickly when we did the Everything package. (Back before Disboard days.) But most guests don't know any better. They figure a Disney "package" has to be a better deal. I've talked to a number of people who aren't aware that a stay can be done any other way. I've been tempted to make cards that say, "Check out Disboards.com BEFORE you make a reservation."

DisFlan

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 08:43 PM
This is only true if your children are 9 or under. Otherwise, you have to pay adult price for the DP and it ends up costing more money than using the DDE (in our case anyway). We stayed on a MYW package during our last visit and qualified to purchase the plan, but opted not to for this very reason. I really wish they would have a rate structure for juniors (my kids are 12 & 10).

Actually, it all comes down to how much you eat. If you eat an appetizer, entree and Dessert, and have a Counter service meal for Lunch, then NO, the DDE is not a better deal. Add it up... use an average TS restaurant with all that the DP includes. I tried it with several restaurants and it is a better deal, UNLESS you order the cheapest items possible... and at that point it is break even.

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Where we ate:

1- Soup
1- Monte Cristo Sandwich
$24.69

2 - Soup
2 - Fish & Chips
2 - Coffee
$ 46.48

2 - Soup
1- Baked Ziti
1- Pasta Primavera
1- Coffee
1- Cinnamon Gelato
$ 45.33

2 - Cheeseburger Meals
2 - Ice water (n/c)
$12.55

12-9 Lunch-Brown Derby
1- Grouper
1- Celebration dessert
2- Coffee
$ 64.62

1- Lemonade
1- Orange Juice
2- Tuna Croissant
$ 20.06

2- Coffee
1- Sm Orange Juice
1- Two Egg Breakfast
1- Pancakes & Eggs
$ 23.12

2- Ice Water (n/c)
$ 12.42

1- Fruit Cup
1- Tie Dye Cheesecake
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.22

12-11 Lunch - Sci-fi
2 - BLT soup
1- Artichoke Dip
2- Rueben Sandwich
1- Coffee
1- Coke
$ 46.94

1- Beet Salad
1- Turkey Muffuletta
1- Soup
2- ice water (n/c)
$ 19.14

$ 95.00

2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 19.66

2- Soup
2- Coffee
$ 35.96

(Lost receipt)
$ 22.61

1- Escargot
1- Salade Nicoise
1- Filet of Sole
1- Perrier
2 - Glasses of wine
$ 64.41

2- Coffee
2- Two Egg Breakfast
$ 20.16

Total $ 592.37

Right, and looking at your dining habits, you and your companion are not big eaters... you don't always eat desserts and appetizers... so obviously the DDE is a better deal. It also looks like you go to more TS than CS, which again makes the DDE a better meal... As I have said before,

DDE - Better deal if you eat at more than 1 table service per day on Average. Better deal if you do not want to eat all of the food available with the DP. If you only go with Entree and Dessert or 1 appetizer to split and Entrees, the DDE is the way to go... as in Chuck's case. Better deal if you like to go to more or all Buffets or Family style (IE, Ohana) places (since many include some form of dessert).

DP - Better Deal if you like to eat at 1 TS per day and 1 CS per day. Better deal if you like to eat a lot of food at your meal... appetizer, Entree and Dessert.

Pound for Pound, the DP is the best plan... and by this I mean comparing the same amounts of food. If you order less (or more) then obviously it is not as good of a deal. THe DDE then becomes the plan of choice.

Obviously for me who considers himself a foodie, the DP is a better deal. I will order all the food included so this makes it a better deal for me and saves me money. (I only wish they had an option to give 2 TS per day, in lieu of the CS. Maybe in the future) But for Chuck, who eats less, the DDE is better. As he said, everyone has to analyze their own habits.

Of course for those who really like to eat, we offer the DDE and DP combo. Use the DDE for the alcohol, and for extra TS meals. We are using it for V & A which for 2 of us pays for the card and isn't a DP option.

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 09:00 PM
We discovered this real quickly when we did the Everything package. (Back before Disboard days.) But most guests don't know any better. They figure a Disney "package" has to be a better deal. I've talked to a number of people who aren't aware that a stay can be done any other way. I've been tempted to make cards that say, "Check out Disboards.com BEFORE you make a reservation."

DisFlan

See we ate the same amount for each meal, but a big part of that was we didn't eat at two TS per day. I don't know if I could have eaten a Appetizer Dessert and Entree for Lunch and Dinner. Too much food.

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the OP is right, for his family DDE may be better. They seem to eat the majority of their TS meals at lunch, thus making them less expensive. We do the opposite-all TS for dinner, and counter service for lunch. we also do a lot of TS breakfasts too. We were at the BWV Dec 1-9 and we kept really good track of our meals with the DDE discount just so I could compare it to the meal plan! For us, 2 adults & 3 kids, the dining plan wins by far. I think I would still get the DDE card to use for any table service breakfasts and alcohol, but our CS lunch, snack and TS dinner would be covered by the meal plan. We would absolutely save money. A counter service for lunch cost our family around $45 every day. Then you have everyone getting a bottle of soda and my daughters popcorn later in the day, around $15. Then dinner for 2 adults & 3 kids at places like Kona Cafe, San Angel Inn, Rose and Crown, etc. are around $120-$140. It's a big savings. Plus, we love the idea of meals being pre-paid and just going and eating!

I understand what some say about 10 and 11 year olds, but you'd have to pay adult price for them at buffets anyway, unless you lie about their age, which I wouldn't. Many people on the restaurant board have posted restaurants not letting 11 and 12 year olds order off the 9 and under kids menu or charging them double for a kids meal. In our case, for our Oct trip our oldest turns 10 about 3 weeks before the trip, thus making him an adult in the eyes of Disney. The meal plan is still worth it for us. He ate the adult Counter Service food every time anyway. The kids portions are really tiny at those restaurants. We'd have to pay an adult price for him at places like the Cape May Cafe Clam Bake or Ohana anyway, since he'll be 10.

I do like the DDE card too. We ate dinner twice at the POLY (Kona and Ohana) and sat at those little tables drinking tropical drinks waiting for our tables and the DDE card does take a nice little chunk off. :) We also have a princess freak in the family and do both princess breakfasts. Although, when the price increase goes into effect for CRT, you can't use DDE anymore anyway. We also always do Cape May's and Crystal Palace's breakfasts and a couple Spoodles too. So, I think the DDE card may still be worth it in addition to the dining plan, as long as we have AP's. I'm just so happy about the dining plan though!!! :)

That's why you can do both :-) We are the same as you.

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 09:11 PM
As I've posted previously, we have had 2 long weekends since this DDP can on board and used DDE. I did go back and look at costs both times and NO day did we spend as much as the daily charge for this year with the DDP. We generally ate 2 sit downs per day, part at Signature restaurants and had MORE than what we wanted. It will tend to be the best value for those on shorter stays, those who can legally have a larger group than what they pay for (multiple rooms), those with older kids who cost as kids (7-9?) and those who want to get the most expensive items. If you plan out where and how you use it you can show a value. Whether it's a real or perceived value depends on what you'd do without the program and the other variables as noted above. Studies have shown that people on All Inclusive type plans start to eat much less after 3 days. My concern is that many people are willing to pay for the "convenience" which I feel is a very poor and uninformed choice, IMO.

You know studies show that 79% of all cited studies in forum boards are made up? Maybe its the academic in me, but please if you are going to make a "Studies Show..." comment, actually cite a study, preferably with a link. Sorry huge pet peeve of mine as many people cite fictional studies.

As I showed in the very first DP DVC posting, it all comes down to how much you eat. You also need to add in TIP too, which is included with the DP, to make and accurate comparison. Your habits have to fit into the DP mold in order for it to be a good value... For someone liek you who eats at more TS than 1 per day, it is not worth it. For many people, who Do not eat this way, it is a good deal. Many people will order the food and they order a lot of dishes they might not order due to the price.

yitbos96bb
12-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Total $ 592.37

Chuck,

Did you include tips in your totals?

DisFlan
12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
See we ate the same amount for each meal, but a big part of that was we didn't eat at two TS per day. I don't know if I could have eaten a Appetizer Dessert and Entree for Lunch and Dinner. Too much food.

We rarely ate all three courses, either. But we have a son who, from the time he was 7 or 8, could eat an amazing amount of food. He always ate off the adult menu, and he's always been thin as a rail. And he didn't eat the cheap stuff. He's now 27 and he's still thin. We used to just sit and watch him eat. "Can I have the steak AND the lobster, Mom? And the shrimp cocktail? And that big chocolate cake thingy looks good." He'd eat three meals like this a day at WDW. An hour later he'd want a Mickey bar, a turkey leg and popcorn. The meal plans were worth it for him all by himself. (lol! Yes, we had him tested for tape worms.)

My sister married a guy with a similar metabolism and appetite. Our next trip will be with them, so I'm thinking both the DP and the DDE might be a good idea.

DisFlan

Chuck S
12-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Chuck,

Did you include tips in your totals?

Yes, the totals were taken from the room charge statements, so they include the tips for TS meals. Also note that the Chefs lunch includes 2 glasses of wine, which is not included in the dining plan.

rocketriter
12-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Given the number of people requesting a dining plan, I commend DVC for offering one next year. However, our family has done the Silver Wishes equivalent of the new dining plan and didn't like it. We felt a pressure to order appetizer and dessert even when we didn't want it, and we felt logy after stuffing ourselves at meals. (The plan also taught our kids to like escargot, shrimp cocktail, lobster, filet mignon and prime rib, which is a hidden expense that keeps on costing for years!) For next summer's trip, my 13 year old son will probably eat moderately and my 10 year old daughter will eat like a bird; she'll share most larger meals with my wife. Under these circumstances DDE is likely to be a better value for my family.

halekai64
12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Chuck,

On the days you only listed 1 meal, did you supplement that with grocery store food? I noticed you mentioned the ice cream for snacking, but was your grocery bill more than just that ice cream?

Just noticing that on a few days you only listed 1 meal so looking for clarification that you really only ate 1 meal.

Chuck S
12-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Chuck,

On the days you only listed 1 meal, did you supplement that with grocery store food? I noticed you mentioned the ice cream for snacking, but was your grocery bill more than just that ice cream?

Just noticing that on a few days you only listed 1 meal so looking for clarification that you really only ate 1 meal.

The only supplemental grocery store food we used was 1 box of cereal, milk, coffee, danish & 1/2 gal. of ice cream. Most days that I listed one meal were days we had breakfast in the room, with a late lunch. On the days we wanted "dinner" (like POP food court) they were listed.

WebmasterDoc
12-18-2005, 02:46 PM
We had a 4 night stay a couple of weeks ago. We kept track of our dining expenses for the two of us and we saved about $25 using the DDE card over what the DP would have cost us.

The comparison for your group needs to be based on how you would normally dine. If you usually have a counter serve and a full service meal each day- the DP will likely save $$. In our case, we rarely have an appetizer or dessert and do not have a full service meal each day. On this trip we had breakfast in our villa each day (cereal, juice, milk and grapefruit purchased at the Conch Flats store - ~$15 total), ate at the Brown Derby, Olivia's and Narcoossee's (using DDE) and also had three counter-serve meals (none accepted the DDE). Our totals for those meals (including breakfast) was about $280 including gratuity and not including "adult" beverages. Cost for the four days with the Dining Plan would have been about $304. When you figure in the discount on the wines we enjoyed with our dinners, the savings would have been even more.

Just do the math based on your usual dining habits as this is not a one-size-fits-all decision. In our case, the DDE will serve us best, but for those with different dining habits, the Dining Plan will be the better choice.

yitbos96bb
12-18-2005, 03:25 PM
We rarely ate all three courses, either. But we have a son who, from the time he was 7 or 8, could eat an amazing amount of food. He always ate off the adult menu, and he's always been thin as a rail. And he didn't eat the cheap stuff. He's now 27 and he's still thin. We used to just sit and watch him eat. "Can I have the steak AND the lobster, Mom? And the shrimp cocktail? And that big chocolate cake thingy looks good." He'd eat three meals like this a day at WDW. An hour later he'd want a Mickey bar, a turkey leg and popcorn. The meal plans were worth it for him all by himself. (lol! Yes, we had him tested for tape worms.)

My sister married a guy with a similar metabolism and appetite. Our next trip will be with them, so I'm thinking both the DP and the DDE might be a good idea.

DisFlan

YEAH... I don't like your son because I am insanely jealous of his metabolism. Lucky, lucky man.

(Obviously this is meant with jest and envy... I am sure your son is a great person. I am sure you probably figured this, but sometimes a joking comment doesn't come across well.)

yitbos96bb
12-18-2005, 03:35 PM
We had a 4 night stay a couple of weeks ago. We kept track of our dining expenses for the two of us and we saved about $25 using the DDE card over what the DP would have cost us.

The comparison for your group needs to be based on how you would normally dine. If you usually have a counter serve and a full service meal each day- the DP will likely save $$. In our case, we rarely have an appetizer or dessert and do not have a full service meal each day. On this trip we had breakfast in our villa each day (cereal, juice, milk and grapefruit purchased at the Conch Flats store - ~$15 total), ate at the Brown Derby, Olivia's and Narcoossee's (using DDE) and also had three counter-serve meals (none accepted the DDE). Our totals for those meals (including breakfast) was about $280 including gratuity and not including "adult" beverages. Cost for the four days with the Dining Plan would have been about $304. When you figure in the discount on the wines we enjoyed with our dinners, the savings would have been even more.

Just do the math based on your usual dining habits as this is not a one-size-fits-all decision. In our case, the DDE will serve us best, but for those with different dining habits, the Dining Plan will be the better choice.

And remember, if you do go with the DP and an AP, look into getting the DDE as well for $50. Afterall, you can still use it with the DP for alcohol, or if you decide to do a buffet, or if you use the CS for breakfast somewhere, etc. I know others who used it for kids meals and then used their TS for signature dining or more meals (not sure if Disney will kill this loop hole or not). It can definately be a good value for you. Plus remember it gives you free entrance to Atlantic Dance and a 2 for 1 at PI. So there is a good value with the card. Or using it at VIctoria and Alberts, which doesn't take the DP. We are using it there with the wine pairings... For 2 of us it pretty much pays for the card.

DisFlan
12-18-2005, 04:36 PM
YEAH... I don't like your son because I am insanely jealous of his metabolism. Lucky, lucky man.

(Obviously this is meant with jest and envy... I am sure your son is a great person. I am sure you probably figured this, but sometimes a joking comment doesn't come across well.)

:teeth: I got ya. I'm jealous of his metabolism, too! (Grrrrr) He definitely did NOT get it from me. His dad was the same way until he was well into his forties, minus the humongous appetite. But the guy used to be able to eat ANYTHING. It made me soooo mad at times.

DisFlan

Dean
12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
You know studies show that 79% of all cited studies in forum boards are made up? Maybe its the academic in me, but please if you are going to make a "Studies Show..." comment, actually cite a study, preferably with a link. Sorry huge pet peeve of mine as many people cite fictional studies.

As I showed in the very first DP DVC posting, it all comes down to how much you eat. You also need to add in TIP too, which is included with the DP, to make and accurate comparison. Your habits have to fit into the DP mold in order for it to be a good value... For someone liek you who eats at more TS than 1 per day, it is not worth it. For many people, who Do not eat this way, it is a good deal. Many people will order the food and they order a lot of dishes they might not order due to the price.As I've noted several times, it depends on how you use it. IMO, the DP would have to show a significant savings to be a reasonable choice, I'd say around 20% compared to other options, not just a break even. As for the study, I'll have to do some digging, been a while since I looked at the info. I have seen a lot of anecdotal info to support the position as well. You're welcome to post any info you have to the contrary. BTW, weren't you previously registered under another signon?

DonnaL
12-18-2005, 10:35 PM
We just got back last night and I haven't had the chance to add receipts yet, but, just thinking quickly where we ate and approximate figures (some I remember the dollar amounts....others not sure of) I think we saved a little more than $100.00 this trip. There were four of us....DH, myself, two DS's age 24 and 16. We ate at Boma (breakfast), Crews Cup Lounge (late lunch),
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch), Olivia's (lunch), Boatwright's (breakfast), and two evenings at the River Roost lounge (visiting with Bob Jackson!!!) Oh and
almost forgot, the Prime Time Cafe (lunch).....so, it's probably more than
$100.00. And, we'll get two more trips from the card since I ordered it right before the trip so it's good until end of 1/07. DH and I are making a trip
10/06 with two friends and then with the family (this time all of us....DH, myself, two DS's, DD, DGS, and DD'sBF) either 12/06 or early 1/07. For us,
I think the DDE is the best choice since the only one under 9 we have is DGS
and we tend to do very little snacking so the snack credits probably would be
wasted.

Ksp
12-18-2005, 10:47 PM
We've used the DDE before and found it saved us quite a bit--
We've not had the chance to try the DP yet--is it only for length of stay/buy the plan for a certain amount of days? DDE lasts for the year, as I recall.
Anybody know the timeline for the DP?

deide71
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
We have three children (2,3,6) and used the dining plan on our latest trip in Dec.(@ Pop). It worked great for us, and the snack credits were used for soda an popcorn at the parks. It was way too much food, but encouraged us to try new things and dine in places we would't have tried without it (Spoodles wa fabulous, but our meal there alone was $140).

DVC now offering the dining plan to members is what convinced DH to do a 120pt add on to our measly 50pts @SSR!!!!!! Well, I think the golf perk helped as well.

We purchase 10day NE passes instead of AP for more flexability so DDE is not an option for us.

I think it's great to have multiple options! :cheer2: Go DVC!!!!!!

pplasky
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Given the number of people requesting a dining plan, I commend DVC for offering one next year. However, our family has done the Silver Wishes equivalent of the new dining plan and didn't like it. We felt a pressure to order appetizer and dessert even when we didn't want it, and we felt logy after stuffing ourselves at meals. (The plan also taught our kids to like escargot, shrimp cocktail, lobster, filet mignon and prime rib, which is a hidden expense that keeps on costing for years!) For next summer's trip, my 13 year old son will probably eat moderately and my 10 year old daughter will eat like a bird; she'll share most larger meals with my wife. Under these circumstances DDE is likely to be a better value for my family.

I agree. We did the silver plan in 2004 and felt we got our monies worth, but it wasn't all spent on food. We used our credits for Cirque tickets, babysitting at kids club(which really adds up for 3 kids) and sit down and character meals only. The new plan is food only. That's an awful lot of food to fit in over the course of a week. We will stick to DDE unless they allow you to use them for activities as in the past or it's a short 2-3day trip(highly unlikely).

zulaya
12-19-2005, 09:25 AM
It's going to be hard for me to decide whether to do the dining plan or not. Next trip, my kids will be 10 and 11. Yuck...the whole adult prices thing. Now for DS, the amount of food he eats is justified...DD on the other hand, it's a toss up whether she will be just as ravenous as he is, or eat a little bit.

Plus, some days, we DO tend to eat 2 TS meals in one day...usually when that happens it's a character breakfast before hitting the parks and then a dinner. We all tend to get real hungry those days so 2 sitdown meals is realistic for us.

I see the value in pre-paying for the plan, but I too wonder if ALL of us travelling WILL eat the amount of food that comes in a table service credit each and every time.

I guess I'll need to crunch more numbers and see what's what.

NMW
12-19-2005, 10:52 AM
For us,
I think the DDE is the best choice since the only one under 9 we have is DGS
and we tend to do very little snacking so the snack credits probably would be
wasted.

You do know that you can use the snack credits for a bottle of water, or a soda don't you? This really added up for our family, the snack credits would have been great.

anabelle
12-20-2005, 12:30 PM
I have to say that I am seriously considering DDP. We have 2 boys, 11 and 12, that usually eat of the adult menu anyway. My DD will be 9 and she eats like a bird. My DH insists on one TS meal per day. He wants to wind down after a long day at the parks. I added up how much we spent on our last trip and we averaged $165 per day for the 5 of us. So I am not sure we would save much.

patsal
12-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I just returned from a non DVC Package with extended family and I added the dining plan--after I unpack I will see which is better--by checking all reciepts. Right now I am leaning toward the dining plan as all of our TS meals were over $150. even with the price change the plan will cost me $151.96 so I am ahead. We ordered as we usually would have and we did not all always order dessert and apps. I just figured for the experiment I would go with the flow so to speak and see how it would work out. For CS we usually used three meals and shared, but the CS would come out at about $55.00--these were places I could not use the DDE anyway. As far as the 20% savings it really just accounts for our tip so it really is about $30 per TS meal and most CS our DDE is not valid at so no savings are seen there. We did use the DDE when we purchased alcohol with the meal and at the food court for those non-included items like fruit with breakfast. We don't usually get ice cream bars/snacks everyday, but that also ended up being a great savings when the kids could be offered a treat daily and had choices as well. I must admit though we had half the snack credits left on the last day and had to leave the resort with a small shopping bag of Mickey rice crispy treats and chips!

lat
12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
We just came back from Disney for a long weekend and used our DDE card at times. I did not realize how busy the parks and the sit down restaurants were.

With 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 9, it would cost us $100 per day for the dining plan, and there is no way we eat that much everyday. On top of it, given how booked up the restaurants were, I would need to make PS for our dinners and be locked in the time and place we need to be. Out of 4 PS meals, we only made it to 1, and cancelled the other 3.

DDE offers a lot more flexibility. When we are at Disney, I never know where we will be at any given time. It is just too inflexible if I have to plan our vacation around our PS time for fear that I might not be able to use up all the credits.

JimC
12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
It is a nice option for members to have. As others have said individual eating styles, size/make-up of group, length of stay and the like will vary the results. For us DDE is the better program. It is only two adults, light eaters, breakfasts in villa, lunch a variety of quick service and sit down restaurants (we most often order one meal and share it -- just too much food), dinners mostly sit down restaurants.

JimMIA
12-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I just want to thank all of you died-in-the-wool dining plan fans, because your fervor made me go back and actually re-think our eating habits and how the DP would work for us. And I think it might work pretty well indeed. :)

I'm a big DDE fan -- I think it is a great deal, and we're already ahead of the game with a full 12 months still left on the card. Part of that, though, is because we took Grandma and Great Aunt on our December 4-9 trip, so we had four adults and one princess.

OTOH...for our normal vacations, there will just be DH, DD3goingon23 princess: , and myself. Translated into dining numbers, that's about $88 a day for all the food we are likely to eat and then some, including tax and tip. We can easily do $88 at one sit-down dinner...not even counting wine and tip. I'm going to do the math again as we get closer to our May trip, but I think we may well do the dining plan.

We'll still use the DDE for alcoholic beverages and food outlets that don't accept the dining plan...and also when we take guests to dinner.

It's great to have the choices!

n2mm
12-22-2005, 05:43 AM
We used the dining plan in September during the "free" time and thought it was great. We did not use it for our meals solely. We had other family down staying at other resorts who did not use the plan and we supplemented their meals. This will happen again for us in April. While we would like to get the dining plan for our reservation for 13 nights, our adult kids are coming down later in our trip and will not get the dining plan for their reservation. We will use our credits to take all to the more expensive places and we will use our DDE discount at the cheaper places (the Plaza, Trail's End, 50s Prime Time). We also don't eat at alot of counter service locations, so will let the kids use some/most of our cs credits. We did this in September and it worked great for us. Sometimes some of us would use TS credits, while others would use the DDE discount (depending on how hungary we were). The servers were great at sorting out the "more expensive" dishes and using the credits for those. We shared appetizers and sometimes deserts. I read recently that the dining plan will not start until the end of april, so may have to modify my dates as we are checking in on April 23, but am willing to move my arrival dates later. I'm glad to see that they are adding this perk and will use it, though I'm still trying to drop the weight from my September trip. (Of course, going to WDW in October and December didn't help either.)

pplasky
12-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I worked out some of the numbers for my family. We already have the DDE so the price of that is not a factor. We usually have one sit down meal a day, but last trip there were two days we did not. I worked out some numbers, planning a sit-down everyday(including tax & tip). Most of these are character meals since my kids are still in to them. The DDP would cost us $110/day.

day 1 Donald Brkfst: 63.83; Flametree: 35.06; snacks: 5.30 = 104.19
day 2 Brkfst at hotel: 22.09; Mama Melrose 79.45; snacks: 5.30 = 106.84
day 3 early lunch: 34.16; Garden Grill 80.29; sancks: 5.30 = 119.76
day 4 brkfst at hotel: 23.99; Coral Reef 87.12; sancks 5.30 = 116.33
day 5 early lunch 35.81; Liberty tree tavern 70.66; snacks 5.30 = 111.77
day 6 brkfst hotel 23.91; Crystal Palace: 70.38; snacks 5.30 = 99.59

Total DDP= $660 Total DDE=658.48

Roughly about the same. Have seriously consider weighing out food we spend on Wegoshop(we will need some either way) and whether or not we really want to eat that many meals out since they are time consuming.

KennyP
12-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Ok - our family goes to DW at least once a year. We're DVC members and we ALWAYS eat at TS dining spots. We have never done any sort of meal plan - :confused3 and I don't even know if we have been given the option (we may have, but we've never discussed) - Sounds like we should investigate this DDE option. Where can I find detailed info about this??? :earboy2:

Chuck S
12-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Ok - our family goes to DW at least once a year. We're DVC members and we ALWAYS eat at TS dining spots. We have never done any sort of meal plan - :confused3 and I don't even know if we have been given the option (we may have, but we've never discussed) - Sounds like we should investigate this DDE option. Where can I find detailed info about this??? :earboy2:

The DDE is available to FL residents or Annual Pass Holders, regardless of residency. For AP holders it is currently $50 per year, and is valid for 20% off at nearly every Disney operated TS and at those venues that have no TS options (POP, All Stars, Animal Kingdom). Also note that Beginning Feb 1, 2005 Cinderella's Royal Table will no longer accept DDE.

The info below is for AP holders:

DISNEY DINING EXPERIENCE:

Become a member in the Disney Dining Experience program for $50.00, a $25.00 savings off of the regular price.

The Disney Dining Experience gives you:

20% off of food and beverages at over 70 Disney Resort hotel and Theme Park RESTAURANTS (http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneydiningexperience.htm). (Discount is good for up to 10 guests.)
Theme Park and Resort parking for dining purposes
Member-Only invitations to exclusive events
Annual Passholders can join up by calling 407-566-5858 (Mon-Fri, 9:00am to 6pm EST). The Disney Dining Experience is not accepted during holidays, including New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for processing

DonnaL
12-22-2005, 08:22 AM
KennyP,

Go to www.allearsnet.com and click on Dining. If you scroll down the left side of screen (I believe it's under dining discounts) you can click on DDE
and get a lot of info. Anyone can purchase DDE for $75.00 annually or if
you are an AP holder the price is $50.00. We purchased DDE this year for the first time (was available only to FL residents prior to 1/05) at the AP discount rate. We saved about $105.00 this trip, but, we have two more trips planned one for 10/06 and one for early 1/07 (the card is good until end of 1/07 since
we just purchased it early December. I definitely think it was worth it for our family especially with three trips planned. As far as the Dining Plan going into effect in April I have mixed feelings. We don't like to plan in advance
where we're eating (never make ADR's and have only had a problem once or
twice not getting in somewhere) Of course, we never go during a real busy season and we tend to eat at off times (late breakfasts and lunchs). So, I
think for now at least the DDE works better for us.

Chuck S
12-22-2005, 08:26 AM
KennyP,

Go to www.allearsnet.com (http://www.allearsnet.com/) and click on Dining. If you scroll down the left side of screen (I believe it's under dining discounts) you can click on DDE
and get a lot of info. Anyone can purchase DDE for $75.00 annually or if
you are an AP holder the price is $50.00. We purchased DDE this year for the first time (was available only to FL residents prior to 1/05) at the AP discount rate. We saved about $105.00 this trip, but, we have two more trips planned one for 10/06 and one for early 1/07 (the card is good until end of 1/07 since
we just purchased it early December. I definitely think it was worth it for our family especially with three trips planned. As far as the Dining Plan going into effect in April I have mixed feelings. We don't like to plan in advance
where we're eating (never make ADR's and have only had a problem once or
twice not getting in somewhere) Of course, we never go during a real busy season and we tend to eat at off times (late breakfasts and lunchs). So, I
think for now at least the DDE works better for us.

Sorry, this is not true. ONLY FL residents can purchase the card for $75 if they are not AP holders. Otherwise you MUST be an AP holders to be eligible for the card.

magicmommy
12-22-2005, 08:36 AM
We have the DDE card and it is great! However, DH and I usually go to the world at least one week a year without the kids. Since we stay in a studio when it is just the two of us I think I will try the dining plan in May. If we run out of TS credits by using them at signature restaurants then I'll use my DDE card. Based on how this works for us, I'll then decide if the DP is worth it for our 2 week August trip in a 2BR villa with 2 teenaged sons, probably not, or maybe for part of our split stay. Since I'm an obsessive planner its fun to compare what works best for our family. As many have said before, its nice having the option for DVCers. :goodvibes

lsket
12-23-2005, 07:28 AM
We just returned from a trip to the World ( 12-11 to 12-16 ). I charged everything to the room card to make a comparison of what we spend to see if the dp would save anything. We spent about $500 for a family of 5 ( 2 adult, 11,9,3) for about 100 per day. We ate at rainforest,character breakfast at restaurantosaurus, and sci- fi. 4 counter service lunch, and 1 cs breakfast. The other 2 breakfasts were in the room. I don't know what the dp will cost but I would guess that it would be more than the $100 per day. This is how we normally eat when at Disney.

Lynn

We did use the dde card where accepted. When we said we had a "dining card" they wanted to see it. When they saw what it was they said " you can order anything on the menu" so the dp doesnt allow you to order all items on the menu.

JMC
12-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey Chuck S- thanks for the great comparison. We're also 2 adults and tend to have our larger meal as a late lunch. The DDe seems like the better choice for us too.

I had one question for whomever: We bought our annual passes in October. If we buy the DDE plan in May (around the time of our next trip) and then choose not to renew our APs will this effect our ability to use the DDE after our APs expire?

Thanks.

pumpkinboy
12-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Chuck S- thanks for the great comparison. We're also 2 adults and tend to have our larger meal as a late lunch. The DDe seems like the better choice for us too.
I had one question for whomever: We bought our annual passes in October. If we buy the DDE plan in May (around the time of our next trip) and then choose not to renew our APs will this effect our ability to use the DDE after our APs expire?
Thanks.Well, assuming they continue AP holders' eligibility for DDE, you would be in good shape. We bought our DDEs last January, and they are good thru February '06; our APs ran out in November, but our DDE is still valid.

Good luck!

patsal
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not, so I added it to the package we had from Dec. 14-19th--extend family, last minute, regular resort, non AP. Our party was considered three adults and one child (the ages are 14 and 9) the total for the Dining was $115 per day including tax. We ate at Crystal palace for dinner, Garden Grill for dinner, Prime Time for dinner, Breakfastasaurus (obviously breakfast) and Cap'n Jacks-- to keep the experiment true I just let everyone order whatever they wanted and if they didn't want dessert or apps I didn't force it. Most of our TS were around $155.00 including tax and tip(breakfast obviously less)--we went with extended family so the tips were calculated at 18%. We had a lot more food with counter service than we are usually used to with the plan--normally we order 2 counter service meals, no dessert and an extra side order or two. On the plan we ordered three meals with desserts per CS occasion--the average cost with tax was around $55.00. We didn't always use our snacks as we were not always hungry--all those desserts with CS really kept us filled up. On the last day we had 10 snacks to get so we had Mickey bars at the park, and took home 4 mickey rice crispy treats and 2 bags of chips. Not all bad, and I would push the beverages more if it had been summer so it was fine. By my calculations we saved approximately $107 per day (or $535) using the plan. If we had used the DDE--which we have--we would have not saved at most counter service since it is not valid where there is a sit down option or at any CS in the parks except AK. We would have only saved the portion of the bill that was the tip so about $30 per day or $150 total. Now that we will be able to use this with DVC stays it is obvious that the dining plan is worth it for us--even though DD will have to pay the adult price in July we will still save $$ and the value may be even greater since she will be able to choose from more options at CS and at the TS. Even with the cost closer to $155 per day it will be like free snacks and free CS.It worked well for us and it was and will be nice not to have to limit the kids choices to keep prices down.
By using two or three CS meals per occasion we were able to get CS for a few breakfasts and dinner on day of arrival and breakfast and lunch on Day of check out. This plan worked out really well for us. We used DDE to obtain a discount on alcoholic beverages. No where was there food ordered that was not covered by the plan--not planned, it just worked out that way. Everyone of course has their favorite snacks that are not included on the plan--a few pastries from France, Dole whips, wine in Italy, slushies from the sweet shop at MGM and a slush at Goofy's at DTD--well under $50.00.
Oh, and I only gained 3 pounds, which was off in two days--I know I didn't drink my eight glasses of water per day while I was there!
These things are of couse subjective, but for us the dining plan will save money. :wave2:

MAGICFOR2
12-28-2005, 01:30 AM
We went to WDW in 11/04 , just 2 adults, used some meal vouchers that we bought online for $11.00 per meal. They were good at all CS restaurants, which gave us some surprisingly good, healthy choices. While we did save probably $15-20 per meal, we also felt like we were offered, no, almost forced to order way too much food to meet the criteria of appetizer, entree, desert and drink. Sometimes, they would give us a combo meal, and ask us to add an extra side dish, also.

I am wondering, has anyone tried to share any of these meals with family members? We felt that in most cases we could have split these meals and been satisfied :flower:

MAGICFOR2
12-28-2005, 01:31 AM
By the way, those vouchers are no longer available. :rolleyes:

Dean
12-28-2005, 06:39 AM
We went to WDW in 11/04 , just 2 adults, used some meal vouchers that we bought online for $11.00 per meal. They were good at all CS restaurants, which gave us some surprisingly good, healthy choices. While we did save probably $15-20 per meal, we also felt like we were offered, no, almost forced to order way too much food to meet the criteria of appetizer, entree, desert and drink. Sometimes, they would give us a combo meal, and ask us to add an extra side dish, also.

I am wondering, has anyone tried to share any of these meals with family members? We felt that in most cases we could have split these meals and been satisfied :flower:The rules say purchase for every person for every day. The only way to legally share would be to do so with people not staying in your room. But given the right circumstances, it could general a real value for some.

zulaya
12-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Dean, there are people who report on the Restaurant Board (from time to time and not regularly) that they were able to share a meal.

Really, how are the CMs going to know for sure if the 2 people coming up to get a CS meal are staying in the same room?

TS you'd think would be harder to share. But there has been mention that you can continue to share meals and use 1 credit and the CMs have been accomodating.

If that's against the rules, it seems they aren't being applied everywhere across the board. Of course, no one can go into a trip based on these reports and *assume* that they can share credits and spread the meals out. Just commenting on what I have read so far.

patsal
12-28-2005, 08:59 AM
CS is a lot easier to share and the quantity of food makes that very easy. For TS we were able to share in a few instances--we were with extended family. After a careful look at the numbers for my family we decided that it is worth it with the kids--withthe price increases and the age change thing we had virtually eliminated character meals for the upcoming summer trip. This will allow us to choose where ever. The other thing I am confused about of course is the kids when we eat at some of the signature restaurants--mine will not want to eat off of the adult menu so I think I will have to check to see if I can pay out of pocket for them to order off the children's menu. Since everyone will be considered an adult it won't be like I'm trying to squirrel childrens credits for adult or anything, just insuring the kids will eat and not make faces at the food! :rotfl:

BCV23
12-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Haven't read the entire thread but wanted to add two things.

I don't think the DDE with AP is going away. I just purchased a new one yesterday that wil be good through 1/31/07.

Secondly, the cost of the plan is per night not per day so be sure to use that in your calculations of cost. You also can move the credits around as you wish so if you want to do two CS on arrival day, nothing on a middle day and two TS on departure day, it works fine.

NMW
12-28-2005, 11:57 AM
CS is a lot easier to share and the quantity of food makes that very easy. For TS we were able to share in a few instances--we were with extended family. After a careful look at the numbers for my family we decided that it is worth it with the kids--withthe price increases and the age change thing we had virtually eliminated character meals for the upcoming summer trip. This will allow us to choose where ever. The other thing I am confused about of course is the kids when we eat at some of the signature restaurants--mine will not want to eat off of the adult menu so I think I will have to check to see if I can pay out of pocket for them to order off the children's menu. Since everyone will be considered an adult it won't be like I'm trying to squirrel childrens credits for adult or anything, just insuring the kids will eat and not make faces at the food! :rotfl:

I've read several threads on the restaurant board saying that CM's let "children" over 9 order from the childrens menu as long as the parents were using the meal plan. I guess as long as you payed an adult price and are using the plan, some CM's don't care if they order off the kids menu and get say an appetizer and a dessert off the adult menu also. I have to say however, when I pay an adult price for my 10 year old, I'm going to encourage him to order off the adult menu! :)

poohj80
12-28-2005, 12:02 PM
We did use the dde card where accepted. When we said we had a "dining card" they wanted to see it. When they saw what it was they said " you can order anything on the menu" so the dp doesnt allow you to order all items on the menu.
Some restaurants have a logo on the menu next to the items that are allowed on the DDP. We don't want to be limited in our dining choices like this which is one reason we have stayed with the DDE.

No, your DDE has a seperate expiration date based on when it was purchased and is good until that date even if you don't renew your AP.

NMW
12-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Some restaurants have a logo on the menu next to the items that are allowed on the DDP. We don't want to be limited in our dining choices like this which is one reason we have stayed with the DDE.

No, your DDE has a seperate expiration date based on when it was purchased and is good until that date even if you don't renew your AP.

You are always free to pay out of pocket for items not on the DP. I have read this limitation is only at DTD locations like Wolfgang Puck. Other places like Cape May cafe don't allow you to add the lobster tail for free with the DP, but why would they? It's extra if you pay cash to eat there too. :)

Now we know people who ate at Le Celliar and Brown Derby on the DP last month and were encouraged by the CM's to add the lobster tail and it was covered by the DP. :confused3 I think it pretty mcuh depends on the restaurant, but they said they didn't have any issues in ordering what they wanted, and everything was covered by the DP except alcohol. :)

poohj80
12-28-2005, 12:17 PM
You are always free to pay out of pocket for items not on the DP.
True, but when doing a price comparison this is definitely a negative for us against the DDP vs DDE.

I have read this limitation is only at DTD locations like Wolfgang Puck.
It was at Brown Derby that we saw this.

gabbysmom04
12-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know what the cost of the dining plan will be? Also, is there a way to find out what menu items will not be on the DDP?

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Does anyone know what the cost of the dining plan will be? Also, is there a way to find out what menu items will not be on the DDP?

Actually, it is posted a few times in this thread but since the thread is getting longer...

37.99 per day for adults
11.99 (I think or it could be 10.99) for Kids 3-9 or 10.

All the disney restaurants that take the DP do not have restrictions to my knowledge... at least none I ran into when I used it in June. Others may have encountered some. The non-disney restaurants on Disney property that accept it, do have some restrictions but I believe you can pay a little more oop to get these if you want. Of Disney restaurants, Victoria and Alberts and the most expensive French Restaurant do not take the plan. Some restaurants require you to pay 2 credits per person, although the list is smaller for 2006 (they moved Coral Reef to 1 TS range... maybe we can see SCUBA MICKEY - saw him once... coolest character experience ever for me). Ones that come to mine that are signature... CRT, California Grill, Luau, Wilderness Lodge shows, Citrico's, FLying Fish, Jiko, Brown Derby... I know there are more but I can't think right now. If you look on the Disney website, they have a great PDF that they give out as paper at the resorts telling you which restaurants take DP, which asre signature experiences (costing 2) etc. Now if they just posted signs saying they take DP for snacks at certain places, I would be much happier. Had a bit of a thing with a cast member who wouldn't take it for a bottle of water... in July in blistering heat after several hours at the park... Those of you not from the South (and used to that weather) know how easy it is to get cranky in these conditions. I was a little steamed (no pun intended) about the whole thing, especially given my ample frame in the heat... great for winter... bad for summer.

Here is the link to Disney's official site:

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw/images2003/languagespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/DiningLocations.pdf

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Sorry, this is not true. ONLY FL residents can purchase the card for $75 if they are not AP holders. Otherwise you MUST be an AP holders to be eligible for the card.

Just for an academic discussion Chuck... DO they actually ID you to assure you are a Florida Resident? I guess you have to give them you address, but I am curious if anyone has tried to get one who doesn't have an AP or is a FL resident. I would be interested to hear the results if someone tries. Knowing Disney's stated philosophy of guest service, I wonder if one was squeaky enough, if they could secure the DDE without being a resident. Given the fact the DDE isn't really an advertised thing and you can't just order online or through reservations but have to call a special number, I wonder about the feasibility.

Any non AP holders and Non FL residents want to call and try to get one... All you waste is your time.

Chuck S
12-29-2005, 08:42 AM
AP holders must give the number code from the back of their pass when they order. I don't know what proof FL residents must provide, perhaps a DL number? On our first trip with DDE we had to show our DL, even though we are AP holders, at several locations to use the card.

Prior to having the DDE available to AP holders, FL residents had to show a DL whenever they used it.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 09:02 AM
The rules say purchase for every person for every day. The only way to legally share would be to do so with people not staying in your room. But given the right circumstances, it could general a real value for some.

Actually Dean you are both right and wrong.

You are right in saying that you must purchase the DP for everyone in your party staying in the room.

You are wrong that you may share meals. So in this case 2 people would eat off 1 credit. What a lot of people do is share a Signature meal instead of have 2 regular TS meals.

If you are a Florida resident or AP holder, obviously your dining habits are going to dictate if the DP is a good deal for you. For us, we would save money with the DP, since we are not big drinkers and can't afford TS all the time. I think a lot of people in these threads (and this isn't meant as saying you said this Dean) assume that everyone is DDE eligible. We are buying an AP this time around, because we are planning two trips in 2007. But most of the time, we go once a year... meaning the DP becomes cheaper than eating with the DDE. All I am saying is remember, although many of the people who post on this board can afford to go multiple times per year, most people can't. I still remember when I took traditions and they talked about families who save for years to do one big trip to Disney... their vacation of a lifetime. It seems that many here forget that at times... not everyone mind you, but I have seen some postings on this and other sites saying that the DP is a ripoff, and while I do feel it isn't a great deal for everyone, calling it a rip off just spouts ignorance.

I give credit to Disney for working to make things more affordable so that the once in a lifetimers might be able to come more than once in a lifetime and experience the joy myself and many others get from the entertainment mecca. Yes I know they increase the money spent at the parks by doing this (I call it the Walmart/BestBuy approach to vacationing), but that is the point of business. Being able to create something of value for the group while creating something of value for the business is a sound economic principle. I hope they continue (but figure out a way to increase the CS a little more).

Ok, I now get off my soapbox. Just needed to get that off my chest.

I would be interested to see someone re post their comparison and add back in the 20% saved on the DDE and compare that to the DP. Chuck, yours would be great for this, since you are not as big of an eater at these meals. If they did away with DDE, would the DP become a better deal vs simple paying OOP.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Are you sure you didn't misread or misunderstand the menu? What you are saying goes against what Cast Members and Guest Services has stated AND what is posted on the site. The only limitations were with Wolfgang and a few other non-disney restaurants.

When did you see this?

Edited:

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw/images2003/languagespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/DiningLocations.pdf

Here is the link to Disney's website and the PDF I talked about earlier. The only ones listing surcharges are Wolfgang Pucks and Planet Hollywood (has anyone actually eaten at the Planet Hollywood in Disney? TO my knowledge, this is the only one left in the US, although they are defiling the Aladdin in Vegas and turning it into the Planet Hollywood Casino so I guess that will be number two)...

The only thing I can think of, other than a possible misunderstanding, would be that Brown Derby tried this either at the beginning or recently. I have a feeling that if that is true, Guest Relations got an earful. Anyone been to Brown Derby recently on the DP and know if they tried to limit you? I know in July at California Grill, the French Bistro and the Moroccan Restaurant, there were no restrictions (except alcohol). I even ordered a cheese plate OOP at CG and they threw it into the meal, even though we each got a califonia role appetizer (one of the best i have ever had for those who have not been to CG... Incredible food and fantastic view). I am curious when you went to the brown derby and saw this on the menu.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 09:09 AM
AP holders must give the number code from the back of their pass when they order. I don't know what proof FL residents must provide, perhaps a DL number? On our first trip with DDE we had to show our DL, even though we are AP holders, at several locations to use the card.

Prior to having the DDE available to AP holders, FL residents had to show a DL whenever they used it.

Interesting... I am still curious if the squeaky wheel can get greased... Or if maybe they have unofficially changed the policy and those who would know about DDE but don't buy an AP and aren't FL residents (a small number I am sure you'd agree) could purchase it at the $75 price. If anyone is going soon and wants to try, I encourage you to just see if you can get it and let us know.

dtndfamily
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I thought I saw a price of $39 per adult per night stay for the plan for '06 on another thread. I could be mistaken, but it is in that general vicinity of $38-$40.

rantnnravin
12-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Don't forget, beginning 1/3/06 (i think?) DDE price goes up to $60 for AP holders.

We love the dining plan, have used it twice. DH was rather disappointed when we were told by our guide that it wasn't likely that DVC would be able to get DDP. We were very excited to hear that it would be an option for us now that we are DVC owners.
As far as the amount of food, the desserts can be wrapped and saved for BF in the villa (or a midnight snack). We've shared on many occasions-- i often order appetizers and entrees for DD5 to enjoy with me.
We used leftover snacks for Mickey Rice-Krispy treats to take home and give to DD's friends as souvenirs!

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
I thought I saw a price of $39 per adult per night stay for the plan for '06 on another thread. I could be mistaken, but it is in that general vicinity of $38-$40.

37.99 is what Member Services was quoting when this first got announced at the meetings. However, since there hasn't been an official posting, I am not sure if anyone knows yet. Best to call them or call reservations if you do not own DVC.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Don't forget, beginning 1/3/06 (i think?) DDE price goes up to $60 for AP holders.

We love the dining plan, have used it twice. DH was rather disappointed when we were told by our guide that it wasn't likely that DVC would be able to get DDP. We were very excited to hear that it would be an option for us now that we are DVC owners.
As far as the amount of food, the desserts can be wrapped and saved for BF in the villa (or a midnight snack). We've shared on many occasions-- i often order appetizers and entrees for DD5 to enjoy with me.
We used leftover snacks for Mickey Rice-Krispy treats to take home and give to DD's friends as souvenirs!

I hate to admit, but i never thought about wrapping and bringing back to the DVC villa. I guess I still had Hotel/No fridge mentality. EXCELLLLLENT!!

Chuck S
12-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I would be interested to see someone re post their comparison and add back in the 20% saved on the DDE and compare that to the DP. Chuck, yours would be great for this, since you are not as big of an eater at these meals. If they did away with DDE, would the DP become a better deal vs simple paying OOP.

Well, I can ive you a ballpark figure. Take my actual total of $592.37, subtract the Sunshine Food Court and CP meals, as they were not eligible for DDE, for a total of $478.23...add 20% (95.65), for a new total of $688.02. DDP $683.82 About a $5 savings over 9 days with the DDP.

Now, if there is tax charged on that $683.82 of 6.5% (and we don't know if there will be of not), that total will be $728.26, or still a $40 savings on cash without DDE.

So, in our case, a $5 difference would be a wash. But there is still the risk that if someone gets ill or can not eat all the meal credits, there are no refunds on unused credits...for me personally, I'd rather not risk possibly loosing $$ to save $5.

gabbysmom04
12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the prices. This is a great deal for me, I had been hoping for a meal plan for DVC.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, I can ive you a ballpark figure. Take my actual total of $592.37, subtract the Sunshine Food Court and CP meals, as they were not eligible for DDE, for a total of $478.23...add 20% (95.65), for a new total of $688.02. DDP $683.82 About a $5 savings over 9 days with the DDP.

Now, if there is tax charged on that $683.82 of 6.5% (and we don't know if there will be of not), that total will be $728.26, or still a $40 savings on cash without DDE.

So, in our case, a $5 difference would be a wash. But there is still the risk that if someone gets ill or can not eat all the meal credits, there are no refunds on unused credits...for me personally, I'd rather not risk possibly loosing $$ to save $5.

That is a fair point about the sickness thing. On the flip side, with the wash you have the chance to eat more food if you wanted too, so at that point the value would be higher, as we have figured out the more you eat the better the value. It definately makes it more intriguing for people if DDE goes away. I have also been thinking of the Disney does things a lot of time and that leads me to wonder something else. Given the set pricing of the DP and its popularity with people who don't know about or have a DDE, I wonder if Disney will increase their profitability by raising TS costs accross the board. It actually makes a lot of sense for them to raise each entree 3-5 bucks, each appetizer a 1 or 2 dollars and each dessert the same. It doesn't cost them anymore with the DP, as their "loss" is based on cost of the item, and would subsidize the profitability of the plan, as well as make the DP a "better value" and will help Disney sell more of the DPs. It will be interesting to see if they do this; it wouldn't surprise me at all. Raise the prices, keep the DDE as a perk, but make a little more money off those people. Make the DP a better looking value and get people to buy giving a better guarenteed level of spending at Disney vs the places outside of WDW.

Would anyone be surprised if this happened?

Chuck S
12-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Would anyone be surprised if this happened?

I may be surprised if there is that type of increase. Remember, there are still a lot of "day visitors" to the parks...those that stay offsite for financial reasons, those that have family in the area, or those that simply want to spend a few days at Disney as part of an Orlando vacation. If they raise the prices too high, those folks will spend less and less in the parks, and be even more prone to eat off-site than they are now. If you figure 25% of the cars in the parking lot are onsite guests that chose to drive, and another 15% are locals/annual pass holders, that still leaves 60% of them as day visitors...that's a good sized group to "encourage" to eat onsite, who may be more willing to eat onsite if the price were not raised $5 per entree.

yitbos96bb
12-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I may be surprised if there is that type of increase. Remember, there are still a lot of "day visitors" to the parks...those that stay offsite for financial reasons, those that have family in the area, or those that simply want to spend a few days at Disney as part of an Orlando vacation. If they raise the prices too high, those folks will spend less and less in the parks, and be even more prone to eat off-site than they are now. If you figure 25% of the cars in the parking lot are onsite guests that chose to drive, and another 15% are locals/annual pass holders, that still leaves 60% of them as day visitors...that's a good sized group to "encourage" to eat onsite, who may be more willing to eat onsite if the price were not raised $5 per entree.

Well that is the gamble there isn't it. But look at this from another view point. What if one of the main reasons people stay and eat offsite is because of the cost (an accurate statement I am sure you would agree)? These people might spend the majority of their time at Disney, and not at Universal, Sea World, etc. So what if Disney figures out a way to give these people a better perceived value for their money? Sure it costs a little bit more they say, but you get so much more for your money... Hotel on property with all its advantages, the opportunity to experience fine Disney dining with appetizers and desserts and tickets to the parks for (lets just say) a little extra over what your spend. Sure people don't NEED this to enjoy themselves, but it is a great value for them... think the supersize option at McDonald's. If you can get 10-20% of these people to come on property, then your profitability skyrockets... You are getting the guarenteed cash, vs the chance these people will eat on property. It really is smart business. Yes, while I am sure the prices at all TS won't go up as high as I was saying, would it surprise you at some of the more expensive places? Cali Grill, Jiko, Citrico's, etc?

Again, this is all speculation, but from a business standpoint I can see a strong potential of making these DP Packages into quite a profitable stream.

Chuck S
12-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Again, this is all speculation, but from a business standpoint I can see a strong potential of making these DP Packages into quite a profitable stream.

But the question you posed was would Disney raise prices to those that don't have the dining plan to make the plan look even more attractive. And no, I don't see that as being the reason for any price increases that may occur. Food cost are going up, energy costs are going up, insurance and other operating expenses are going up. That would be a reason to raise prices. Snubbing guests that stay off site and or your local customer base (who may not have the DDE) is not a smart business plan, is it?

hemispheredancer
12-30-2005, 09:10 AM
oops...duplicate post

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 09:56 AM
But the question you posed was would Disney raise prices to those that don't have the dining plan to make the plan look even more attractive. And no, I don't see that as being the reason for any price increases that may occur. Food cost are going up, energy costs are going up, insurance and other operating expenses are going up. That would be a reason to raise prices. Snubbing guests that stay off site and or your local customer base (who may not have the DDE) is not a smart business plan, is it?

The question I posed was raising prices for profitability sake, not for cost and inflation sakes. The establishment costs are not part of this scenario, as they will happen regardless, unless disney takes a profitability hit.

From my experiences with Disney, as a stockholder, consumer and working there, people from Orlando and the surrounding area are a small part of their business. Many of the people from the area who frequent the parks are employees or family of employees; those who aren't make up a small part of the overall business and aren't the most profitable customers. Those staying off site aren't being snubbed, they are being targeted. While Disney treats all guests equally, as in Animal Farm, some are more equal than others. The ones who stay onsite are the most important ones to please. Why? Because the goal is to get them to return and stay at Disney. By getting these guests onsite, Disney assures more money is being spent AT DISNEY... Internal Studies prove this statement, although logic should prove it as well. This is a big reason for the keys to the Kingdom card that lets you charge everything to your room. It is billed as convenience (and it is) but it also works liek a credit card, where many people spend without thinking, thus spending more money on average than those paying with cash.
Disney's most coveted Guests? Those staying on longer term vacations off property. Disney knows they will spend money, so how can disney get them onsite? Lower their profitability slightly and create the appearance of a huge value, thus attracting more customers, THUS increasing profitability. How do you think Walmart made so much money. Deep discount items with lower markup. Bring in more customers who then buy things they weren't intending too. While the department store might have made a $15 profit off of a toaster, walmart makes $5, then makes and additional $25 off of the extra stuff at low prices people compulsively buy.

Look at it this way: Raising the prices of food, causes them to lose 10% of people who are staying off property from dining in their restaurants. Tragic, but most of these will still come to the parks and buy merchandise, so not a huge deal if you can make up for it in other areas. NOW, if they can convince 10% or even 5% of the off site people to stay on property with the Dining plan because it is a better value, they have just dramatically increased their profitability, because those numbers are spending more with Disney (food and Hotel where they were spending none before), making up not only the lost dining business from the 10% but the extra from the new peopel staying on property.

Business history will show you that raising prices does not tend to alienate your bases if done properly. Maybe you misunderstood what I was inferring... I am not talking about a drastic raise of $3-5 per entree all at one time. I am talking a gradualy increase over the course of the year. Unannounced, etc. People will pay raised prices if done ina graduated sense. There is way to many exampled in Food and Beverage, retail sales,e tc that bear this out. The trick is to not make it look like you are trying to be greedy. Disney isn't going to come out and say "We are raising prices to make the dining plan a better value." But if you compare prices from one date to a year or year and a half later, you may notice a significant increase.

Will this happen? I don't know, I can only speculate. But it wouldn't surprise me if it did. I don't even agree with them doing it... I just think it would be a brilliant ploy to try and knowing the way they have done business, it wouldn't surprise me to see them do this... I will bet money they have at least contemplated it. Is it right of them to do? Probably not... your reply above is very consumer advocate in statement and makes a lot of great points from that POV. Unfortunately though, most consumers are willing to take a lot without complaining. My guess is if they do raise, they lose a little dining business, but even if they do and don't increase on site DP business, the majority who stay and dine will make up a good percentage of the increase... if not all of it and more, and that some who don't dine TS because of that, will dine CS, still putting some money in the coffers.

Chuck S
12-30-2005, 10:19 AM
From my experiences with Disney, as a stockholder, consumer and working there, people from Orlando and the surrounding area are a small part of their business.

Your experiences as a stockholder...ummm what "experiences" as a stockholder? I'm a stockholder, too. I haven't seen Disney releasing attendance records and guest demographics to stockholders, have you? People "from Orlando" is a very broad term, again, it would include friends and family staying with relatives. Often those relatives accompany their guests to the parks. I know when we lived in Los Angeles we played "tour guide" for visiting guests often, we never said "Oh, you should go to Disneyland". We TOOK them to Disneyland and other attractions and spent the day with them.

In most of those situations, there is no way the houseguest would consider staying onsite to "save a few bucks" on food. Hmmm, I can stay for free with my friend/relative. Would having even free dining at Disney encourage folks to spend money on a hotel room, except perhaps one or two nights at a Value resort? Or would raising the prices simply encourage them to visit the parks, eat a snack instead of a table service meal, then have dinner offsite?

I think a pre-paid dining plan (unless it is free) is not the sole deciding factor to get people to stay onsite that are normally perfectly happy to stay offsite. Rather, I think it is the current combination of free DME, better ticket pricing (MYW), the dining plan, plus the 50th Celebration media blitz.. But high dining prices CAN be the sole deciding factor to turn locals and day visitors to offsite restaurants.

Cinderella
12-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Have just worked out the value for us. At sit down meals we always have three courses - and usually eat the more expensive things from the menu. I compared costs against DDE discount, and even taken the discount into consideration, we would still save $80 per day for 2 adults, one child aged 11 and one child aged 8. This plan will work out just great for us and we will still use DDE discount for wine.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Your experiences as a stockholder...ummm what "experiences" as a stockholder? I'm a stockholder, too. I haven't seen Disney releasing attendance records and guest demographics to stockholders, have you? People "from Orlando" is a very broad term, again, it would include friends and family staying with relatives. Often those relatives accompany their guests to the parks. I know when we lived in Los Angeles we played "tour guide" for visiting guests often, we never said "Oh, you should go to Disneyland". We TOOK them to Disneyland and other attractions and spent the day with them.

In most of those situations, there is no way the houseguest would consider staying onsite to "save a few bucks" on food. Hmmm, I can stay for free with my friend/relative. Would having even free dining at Disney encourage folks to spend money on a hotel room, except perhaps one or two nights at a Value resort? Or would raising the prices simply encourage them to visit the parks, eat a snack instead of a table service meal, then have dinner offsite?

I think a pre-paid dining plan (unless it is free) is not the sole deciding factor to get people to stay onsite that are normally perfectly happy to stay offsite. Rather, I think it is the current combination of free DME, better ticket pricing (MYW), the dining plan, plus the 50th Celebration media blitz.. But high dining prices CAN be the sole deciding factor to turn locals and day visitors to offsite restaurants.

Maybe you don't research your stock purchases as extensively as I do. That research is more what I mean.

Again though, the day visitors are not the biggest profit generators with Disney. Neither are locals. Most of those will never stay on site. Yes, while the DP is not the sole factor to get people to stay on site, the value vacation package, of which DP is a part of, can easily get more people to stay on-site.

But obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this. I am not sure if you are resident or not... it seems like you are. Either way, it seems like you think Disney makes the majority of its theme park money on day visitors and on locals. I would strongly disagree with this notion. The money is in people on longer term (5 or more days) vacations. They spend more overall at the parks. The goal is to get as many of those people to spend as much money as possible at Disney. They spend more money when they stay on property. Add in the DP to a package as a perceived value, GUARANTEES that that money is spent with Disney. Hence why them doing something like a big price increase casually over a period of time, would not surprise me as it will make this option to the biggest moneymaking audience seem like a much bigger value, THUS selling more plans.

Yes, I am sure you disagree with me, but as I said, this is conjecture not fact that they will do it. Of course most of this conjecture was based on precidents sent in the Eisner era, so with the new CEO, things could very well change. Maybe they do it, maybe they don't. All I said was that I think if they do this, it will increase profitabilty overall, a notion you disagree with obviously, based on the possible alienation of the day tripper and locals. I just don't see this alienation happening in my opinion. Again, though, we must agree to disagree.

Chuck S
12-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I live in Texas. I did not say the majority of $$ is generated by locals, did I? Nor has Disney ever released the demographics of their guests to stockholders, so how could any figures be deemed factual?

But certainly local and day visitors are a contibuting factor to the success of the theme parks, a big enough factor to not be discounted entirely, based on the sheer number of FL resident passes sold. I would also speculate that DVC members are enough of a guest percentage (and an increasing percentage) not to be discounted entirely, as Disney saw fit to offer us a good AP discount. Alienating either of these groups would be counter productive. But certainly the vast majority of profit is the occasional or "once in a lifetime" guest, paying full price for packages.

But again, how would anyone know that gradual price increases over time could be attributed to trying to market the dining plan vs reasonable normal operating cost increases? Disney was been raising prices regularly prior to the current DP, they didn't seem to have any major marketing push for the Silver & Gold plans then. To assume a price increase was solely for making the DP look like a better value would be very presumputious.

The point of his thread is simply to get folks to compare the cost of their normal dining habits to the cost of the soon to be offered DP to see if it is of value to them, as often "percieved" value is not a reality, but a good marketing tool, much like Blockbusters "no late fees" promotion.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 11:36 AM
I live in Texas. I did not say the majority of $$ is generated by locals, did I? Nor has Disney ever released the demographics of their guests to stockholders, so how could any figures be deemed factual?

But certainly local and day visitors are a contibuting factor to the success of the theme parks, a big enough factor to not be discounted entirely, based on the sheer number of FL resident passes sold. I would also speculate that DVC members are enough of a guest percentage (and an increasing percentage) not to be discounted entirely, as Disney saw fit to offer us a good AP discount. But certainly the vast majority of profit is the occasional or "once in a lifetime" guest, paying full price for packages.

But again, how would anyone know that gradual price increases over time could be attributed to trying to market the dining plan vs reasonable normal operating cost increases? Disney was been raising prices regularly prior to the current DP, they didn't seem to have any major marketing push for the Silver & Gold plans then. To assume a price increase was solely for making the DP look like a better value would be very presumputious.

The point of his thread is simply to get folks to compare the cost of their normal dining habits to the cost of the soon to be offered DP to see if it is of value to them, as often "percieved" value is not a reality, but a good marketing tool, much like Blockbusters "no late fees" promotion.

Sorry if i misunderstood you. It seemed like you were implying that day traffic and locals were more important business. Obviously I misunderstood.

I think you are misunderstanding me as well. I know we will never know for sure WHY Disney is raising prices. The whole point of this conjecture is looking at how the CEO and other senior execs might think. That is all. I can see them making a strong business case for this... not one you say publically. Again, not all increases are due to higher costs... even though that is usually the reason given in any industry. Look at the Oil Industry. The price of gas went up to cover additional costs, yet was that really the reason they went up or was it the excuse. An argument could be made the rising costs for gas was only a small reason, given the fact the industry made record profits.

As I said, we won't know if that is the reason why they (Disney raises prices). It is all conjecture and academic in this discussion. It just wouldn't surprise me if this line of thinking has popped up at the Mouse House. And it wouldn't surprise me to look at Dining pricing now and then look 12-18 months and see a substancial increase. If it is just a $1 or so across the board for Entrees then I would agree with you that it is just an expense cost increase to maintain current profit levels. If it is higher, then I would bet that there is something else as well going on.

But it really is no big deal. Just simple conjecture. But the fact we can disagree and have a great conversation with no one getting their feelings hurt is what makes these boards a lot better than many of the other ones out there.

One other thing... I never discounted DVC members. Not all DVC members have APs. But DVC is another example of guarenteed money being spent at Disney.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 11:52 AM
One more thing:

I am not saying they SHOULD do this. I can just see the business argument for it. Personally I think it is a little anti-consumer... But I guess I have grown up in the cynical age of consumerism where i feel most companies.. even Disney, don't really care as much about the consumer as they used too.

Dean
12-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Interesting... I am still curious if the squeaky wheel can get greased... Or if maybe they have unofficially changed the policy and those who would know about DDE but don't buy an AP and aren't FL residents (a small number I am sure you'd agree) could purchase it at the $75 price. If anyone is going soon and wants to try, I encourage you to just see if you can get it and let us know.Our two 3 day weekends would have been $32 per day average without any discounts though some are actually on the DVC list. Thus we'd have averaged around $30-31 per day per person for two 3 Day weekends and only the DVC discounts and one of those meals was for dinner at a Signature restaurant. IMO, a plan such as this needs to do one of two things. It either needs to represent a real savings of 10-20% OR it needs to be a break even AND give one significant choices that are desired but would be a splurge otherwise. Just because it would cost as much or more to pay cash for the same items one were to get on the DP doesn't automatically make it a deal. The question is would you, or even should you, eat that way without the plan. In Chuck's break even situation, it would be totally nuts to buy a plan such as this.

To think Disney would raise prices simply to direct people to this plan is pretty far fetched, regardless the underlying motivation. There will still be many who don't have the plan and Disney's prices are certainly high enough already. And if they do raise prices, they will certainly also raise the cost of the DP accordingly. Whether the DDE will go away is the real question in my book, and I'd say no. Going on the FnF experience, I'd say Disney will tinker with this once or twice a year until it has absolutely no value for anyone, then it will go away or be used only for specials like the free dining this fall.

patsal
12-30-2005, 06:15 PM

I'm not sure if I understand the "tax" thing, but I will give an example from my experiences--of course the DP was $35. including tax pp. The total for the DP will be 37.99 and that price includes tax. When you dine the tax is added to your total bill as well as tip, both are covered. Thus if the meal were $150 for a family of four the tax on that as well as the tip for that is included with your purchase price of $37.99 per person. So for the $150.00 meal $9.75 of tax and $22.50 tip are also included. Again my $152.00 for dining plan per day including tax got me one dinner that was $182.25 and I still have 4CS and 4 snack credits left for the rest of the days dining.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Our two 3 day weekends would have been $32 per day average without any discounts though some are actually on the DVC list. Thus we'd have averaged around $30-31 per day per person for two 3 Day weekends and only the DVC discounts and one of those meals was for dinner at a Signature restaurant. IMO, a plan such as this needs to do one of two things. It either needs to represent a real savings of 10-20% OR it needs to be a break even AND give one significant choices that are desired but would be a splurge otherwise. Just because it would cost as much or more to pay cash for the same items one were to get on the DP doesn't automatically make it a deal. The question is would you, or even should you, eat that way without the plan. In Chuck's break even situation, it would be totally nuts to buy a plan such as this.

To think Disney would raise prices simply to direct people to this plan is pretty far fetched, regardless the underlying motivation. There will still be many who don't have the plan and Disney's prices are certainly high enough already. And if they do raise prices, they will certainly also raise the cost of the DP accordingly. Whether the DDE will go away is the real question in my book, and I'd say no. Going on the FnF experience, I'd say Disney will tinker with this once or twice a year until it has absolutely no value for anyone, then it will go away or be used only for specials like the free dining this fall.

I agree. For Chuck, this deal makes no sense, and is break even without DDE. For you (provided your sum includes Tip in it), it doesn't either. But for others it does. We spent WELL over the per day price when we did the plan. Our Bill totals per day with Tips came to around $50 per person at TS and $10-12 per person for CS. So it was well worth it for us. Others have said the same thing. If you are going to order an appetizer, entree and desert at 1 TS meal and have a CS for the other... then at the LEAST the DP is break even (and that is with you ordering the cheapest thing at every TS), and most likely you come out ahead. If you do not want to eat all the food involved (as others have said they won't or can't) then it isn't a value for you.

And on my conjecture of a POSSIBILITY that they might do something lke that... Look at American Business and all the stuff that is pulled these days. It is strongly within the realm of possibility. It really isn't a far fetched idea. AS I HAVE SAID REPEATEDLY, i am not saying it will happen. But I could see it happening. That was all that was said.

Also, I think you are dead wrong that it will just fade away. It is a good deal for a lot of People and until it becomes a money loser or is not popular due to the value fading, it will be around for a while.

But lets just agree to disagree on this.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if I understand the "tax" thing, but I will give an example from my experiences--of course the DP was $35. including tax pp. The total for the DP will be 37.99 and that price includes tax. When you dine the tax is added to your total bill as well as tip, both are covered. Thus if the meal were $150 for a family of four the tax on that as well as the tip for that is included with your purchase price of $37.99 per person. So for the $150.00 meal $9.75 of tax and $22.50 tip are also included. Again my $152.00 for dining plan per day including tax got me one dinner that was $182.25 and I still have 4CS and 4 snack credits left for the rest of the days dining.

Thus like myself, it is a good deal for you.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 06:47 PM

For Tax, Chuck meant Tax on the 37.99. No one is sure whether the 37.99 includes taxes or not. If you look at Chuck's rundown of his last visit, he and his traveling companion (s) don't eat that much. Since they aren't eating appetizer, dessert and Entree at every meal, and not eating CS all that much, the DP makes no sense.

Dean
12-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Also, I think you are dead wrong that it will just fade away. It is a good deal for a lot of People and until it becomes a money loser or is not popular due to the value fading, it will be around for a while.

But lets just agree to disagree on this.Remember this program is extremely similar to the FnF of the mid 90's other than it's food without the fun. The FnF was continually changed, the fun was eliminated and the program became nothing more than a total commitment for nothing more than a 10% discount when the DDE gave you 20%. This is a specialty program at best. Some can get value from it, others can convince themselves there is value when there likely is not most of the time and this is likely the larger group. On pervious threads, many have posted it would not be a value for them while others have said it would be.

yitbos96bb
12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Remember this program is extremely similar to the FnF of the mid 90's other than it's food without the fun. The FnF was continually changed, the fun was eliminated and the program became nothing more than a total commitment for nothing more than a 10% discount when the DDE gave you 20%. This is a specialty program at best. Some can get value from it, others can convince themselves there is value when there likely is not most of the time and this is likely the larger group. On pervious threads, many have posted it would not be a value for them while others have said it would be.

Um yes, but the discount on the DP is about 30% (according to disney) if you take advantage of the full value included with the program. If you go back to the original thread, I do a comparison of the DDE to someone using the DP and on an ITEM TO ITEM basis, the DP is a better savings value. BUT, as I also point out, if you order less food and don't take advantage of the Dessert and Appetizer, then the DDE is better (although it seems that at times people forget not everyone can order the DDE, whereas the DP everyone can order). If you order lots of alcohol OR eat at more than 1 TS a day, then obviously the DDE is a much better deal than the DP. But only a small minority of visitors are eligible for the DDE, which makes the DP a much better deal for the majority of people staying on property who can not get a DDE. WIll there be tweaks? Of Course, but until the plan becomes unpopular or unprofitable, it will be here for a while.

So, no it isn't at all like the FnF, because FnF was not implemented that well, vs the DP which is implemented a heck of a lot better and is a greater value, IMHO. I know with your Dining Habits the DDE is a better option, but it isn't for all people. I am not sure why you are so ANTI Dining Plan (or at least coming off as so Anti-DP), when it really is a good thing for a lot of people, just as the DDE is a good deal for a lot of people as well as you point out has been stated. But to say it is simply a specialty plan is absolutely ridiculous to me. Again though, before a board argument erupts, lets just drop it and agree to disagree.

Dean
12-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Um yes, but the discount on the DP is about 30% (according to disney) if you take advantage of the full value included with the program. If you go back to the original thread, I do a comparison of the DDE to someone using the DP and on an ITEM TO ITEM basis, the DP is a better savings value. BUT, as I also point out, if you order less food and don't take advantage of the Dessert and Appetizer, then the DDE is better (although it seems that at times people forget not everyone can order the DDE, whereas the DP everyone can order). If you order lots of alcohol OR eat at more than 1 TS a day, then obviously the DDE is a much better deal than the DP. But only a small minority of visitors are eligible for the DDE, which makes the DP a much better deal for the majority of people staying on property who can not get a DDE. WIll there be tweaks? Of Course, but until the plan becomes unpopular or unprofitable, it will be here for a while.

So, no it isn't at all like the FnF, because FnF was not implemented that well, vs the DP which is implemented a heck of a lot better and is a greater value, IMHO. I know with your Dining Habits the DDE is a better option, but it isn't for all people. I am not sure why you are so ANTI Dining Plan (or at least coming off as so Anti-DP), when it really is a good thing for a lot of people, just as the DDE is a good deal for a lot of people as well as you point out has been stated. But to say it is simply a specialty plan is absolutely ridiculous to me. Again though, before a board argument erupts, lets just drop it and agree to disagree.The plan itself is very similar to the FnF card in it's earlier trappings, it remains to be seen if it will be better administrated. Given that they haven't been able to enforce the rules that kids eat from the kids menu, I'd say it's definitely going down the same path. Every single person is eligible for the DDE, if they chose to pursue it. As for being anti DP, it depends on how you look at it. Do I think it is a good deal for most people, absolutely not. But as I've posted a number of times, it's value is best for families with kids that can take advantage of the system, those that have a larger party than they have to pay for (multiple rooms) shorter stays and those that are heavy eaters. And if one plans out their meals to use it for the most expensive places, choices, it could work out as well. but since it's a use or lose situation, there is an inherent risk that includes people becoming ill, emergencies, unexpected departures, the tendency to eat less as you go along and the like. Thus my feeling that it should actually save you money OR give you a lot more for your money that you truly want to make it worthwhile. IMO, many people have conned themselves into thinking it's a good deal for them and I'll bet that a number will find it really isn't, we've already had posts to that affect on DIS. But anyone can certainly take what ever risks they want and throw away money if they chose.

All I want is for people to think about what they're doing and do what's truly best for them. Don't forget there are other discount options available besides DDE and DP to include other AP discounts, DVC discounts, Safari club and ?AAA for Rainforest. And there are many ways to lessen the cost though I draw the line at the one I saw on mousesavers where you get a double meat burger and an extra bun then make two burgers out of it. Reminds me of a relative who bought a drink at a fast food restaurant then stopped at each one along a trip and filled up her drink. And using this type of plan takes away much of one of the major savings benefits of DVC, eating out less because of the kitchen but everyone's habits are different in that area.

Now if the info is true that it will be available for stays even shorter than 3 days, that could add further to the value for some. Besides, don't look at this as a disagreement, it's really not. We're just batting around some of the issues involved. Since not all the details have been release, there are still some wait and see as to price and limitations.

NMW
12-31-2005, 03:48 AM
Are you sure you didn't misread or misunderstand the menu? What you are saying goes against what Cast Members and Guest Services has stated AND what is posted on the site. The only limitations were with Wolfgang and a few other non-disney restaurants.

When did you see this?

Edited:

Here is the link to Disney's website and the PDF I talked about earlier. The only ones listing surcharges are Wolfgang Pucks and Planet Hollywood (has anyone actually eaten at the Planet Hollywood in Disney? TO my knowledge, this is the only one left in the US, although they are defiling the Aladdin in Vegas and turning it into the Planet Hollywood Casino so I guess that will be number two)...

The only thing I can think of, other than a possible misunderstanding, would be that Brown Derby tried this either at the beginning or recently. I have a feeling that if that is true, Guest Relations got an earful. Anyone been to Brown Derby recently on the DP and know if they tried to limit you? I know in July at California Grill, the French Bistro and the Moroccan Restaurant, there were no restrictions (except alcohol). I even ordered a cheese plate OOP at CG and they threw it into the meal, even though we each got a califonia role appetizer (one of the best i have ever had for those who have not been to CG... Incredible food and fantastic view). I am curious when you went to the brown derby and saw this on the menu.

While we were not on the dining plan, we ate the Brown Derby about 4 weeks ago and saw nothing on the menu about dining plan resrictions. I read the whole menu too! :)

NMW
12-31-2005, 04:28 AM
I think a lot of people on the DVC board underestimate the popularity of the dining plan, maybe it's because of the kitchens, I don't know. ;) I just want to say that most of our friends, and people we know that have gone to Disney in the past year have raved about the dining plan (non-DVC members). We have friends that canceled their stay at the Nick Suites place for the YC, just so they could do the dining plan for their family of 5. They also scrapped going to Sea World because of the lower priced MYW tickets and the meal plan. They are going again in October, this time at the BWI and are doing the DP again. Our major hesitation in buying DVC was no longer being able to get a meal plan. We loved the gold/silver plans. We talked to our guide about it several times, and just decided to let it go. :)

We stayed 9 days at the BWV this month with the DDE card and I can't tell you how much we wished we had the meal plan. Our fast food lunches (family of 5) averaged about $45 (no DDE) a day and our dinners averaged about $120-$160 every night with the 20% discount. Not to mention sodas in the afternoon and my daughters popcorn (no DDE). The plan would have saved my family money and been a lot more fun and I'm thrilled we can now get it for our Oct 2006 trip!

To Dean, I don't have any experience with the food and fun plan, just the dreammaker gold or silver plans, but they were very well implemented and easy to use. All CM's knew all about them, and they were fun plans. Based on the number of times CM's asked us if we were on the dining plan during our last trip (most CS lunches, the MCDonalds fry cart-use can use a snack credit for it :) , the drink and popcorn carts, etc..) I think most CM's are aware of the DP and it would also be easy to use. Also, kids do need to eat from the kids menu on the DP, it says so in the literature on the plan. That's why so many places had kids appetizers on the kids menu last trip, I think. :)

Dean
12-31-2005, 06:35 AM
To Dean, I don't have any experience with the food and fun plan, just the dreammaker gold or silver plans, but they were very well implemented and easy to use. All CM's knew all about them, and they were fun plans. Based on the number of times CM's asked us if we were on the dining plan during our last trip (most CS lunches, the MCDonalds fry cart-use can use a snack credit for it :) , the drink and popcorn carts, etc..) I think most CM's are aware of the DP and it would also be easy to use. Also, kids do need to eat from the kids menu on the DP, it says so in the literature on the plan. That's why so many places had kids appetizers on the kids menu last trip, I think. :)At the time, CM were familiar with the FnF plan as well. Others may not be that familiar with the FnF history. Here are some of the variations that the program took.

The original version was good for sitdown and counter service restaurants for 2 meals including app, entree & desert. It did exclude a number of the nicer restaurants and was more restrictive in that area than the current DP, IMO. It also included unlimited recreation (fishing exc, trail rides, watercraft & bikes (no surrey's). The first price I have is $47/13.50 and included tip but I don't recall about tax. It was for "Entire LOS" for all in the party with a min of 3 days.
They then started tampering with it keeping the price about the same but changing recreation options. First removing fishing and substituting parasailing. Then they instituted limits of two 1 hour coupon's per day.
Later they changed the plan entirely by making it essentially a prepaid cash card and also changed the name to Disney Dining Style where you paid $50 for adults and got credited for $55 & $22 for kids and got credited for $25. They further reduce the recreation options. At some point they reduced the min to 2 days after then changed to the prepaid dollar plan.
They then quickly separated the recreation for a separate and additional charge calling it Disney's World of Recreation. Price $33/23 but went back to unlimited usage and included the fishing excursions.
The DDE was a 20% discount and could not be combined with this program even though it was simply a prepaid plan and thus the DDE was a better deal for many then as well. There were a couple of other minor variations but these are the main ones I recall or have info on. Others may remember other info or additional differences along the way. And like the current plan, each could be good for certain people and not for others depending on your circumstances.

We only got the FnF once, for 3 days. We did fishing excursions twice, trail rides and ate ourselves silly. By the end of 3 days, even the kids were saying no desert. I did keep up with the costs and it was quite a deal. We spent $363 I believe (don't think tax was extra). Had we paid cash, it would have been just under $1000. Had we not had the plan we would likely have spent about the same as the $363 but had less to show for it.

Hopefully this helps.

Dean
12-31-2005, 06:42 AM
While we were not on the dining plan, we ate the Brown Derby about 4 weeks ago and saw nothing on the menu about dining plan resrictions. I read the whole menu too! :)I haven't seen any restrictions personally other than the Signature restaurants. I see Cindy's is going on the signature list as of Feb. It appears Disney has continued to make minor changes in the restaurant list but at least they haven't been that negative overall, yet. BTW, many All Inclusive plans one can get traveling do have restrictions and surcharges for certain items and that's especially true for any you would get through a timeshare exchange.

yitbos96bb
12-31-2005, 08:54 AM
The plan itself is very similar to the FnF card in it's earlier trappings, it remains to be seen if it will be better administrated. Given that they haven't been able to enforce the rules that kids eat from the kids menu, I'd say it's definitely going down the same path. Every single person is eligible for the DDE, if they chose to pursue it. As for being anti DP, it depends on how you look at it. Do I think it is a good deal for most people, absolutely not. But as I've posted a number of times, it's value is best for families with kids that can take advantage of the system, those that have a larger party than they have to pay for (multiple rooms) shorter stays and those that are heavy eaters. And if one plans out their meals to use it for the most expensive places, choices, it could work out as well. but since it's a use or lose situation, there is an inherent risk that includes people becoming ill, emergencies, unexpected departures, the tendency to eat less as you go along and the like. Thus my feeling that it should actually save you money OR give you a lot more for your money that you truly want to make it worthwhile. IMO, many people have conned themselves into thinking it's a good deal for them and I'll bet that a number will find it really isn't, we've already had posts to that affect on DIS. But anyone can certainly take what ever risks they want and throw away money if they chose.

All I want is for people to think about what they're doing and do what's truly best for them. Don't forget there are other discount options available besides DDE and DP to include other AP discounts, DVC discounts, Safari club and ?AAA for Rainforest. And there are many ways to lessen the cost though I draw the line at the one I saw on mousesavers where you get a double meat burger and an extra bun then make two burgers out of it. Reminds me of a relative who bought a drink at a fast food restaurant then stopped at each one along a trip and filled up her drink. And using this type of plan takes away much of one of the major savings benefits of DVC, eating out less because of the kitchen but everyone's habits are different in that area.

Now if the info is true that it will be available for stays even shorter than 3 days, that could add further to the value for some. Besides, don't look at this as a disagreement, it's really not. We're just batting around some of the issues involved. Since not all the details have been release, there are still some wait and see as to price and limitations.

Ok, thats cool. Just seemed to be getting a little adversarial, but I obviously misinterpretted the tone. My apologies. :grouphug:

Ok, Yes, every single person is technically eligible for DDE. BUT, for many, pursuing it is WAY more expensive and not worth it. For the non DVCer on a week vacation, the price of a MYW expire is $233 or so pp. The Cost for an AP is $399, plus $50 for the DDE. So even if one person gets the AP for the DDE you are talking about a $216 cost layout. So one must spend more than $241 in discounts to break even, and make sure the DP isn't a better deal for them as well.

I think you are nuts for saying the DP is only good for a small amount of people and think you are really misestimating the value of the plan here. Yes, there is a small inherent risk of emergency, but my bet is that the emergency issue will affect only a small number. As for people eating less as time goes by, no one I know has done that as they wanted their full value. I know we took FULL advantage of the plan. Yes, I know some won't eat full value and I have seen those posts on DIS as well. But again, that seems to me a small minority of people.

Personally, my next trip, I am going to get the DDE (since we are planning 2 8 day 2007 trips so it is a HECK of a lot cheaper than MYW unless they get rid of the DVC discounts) because while I won't do two TS every day, there are some days I will do them, and with alcohol and the planned V and A dinner it will pay for itself. But we were adding costs with what we eat, and the DP is a great value for us... so frankly we are going with both. The DP for our TS and CS per day and the DDE for alcohol, any extra TS and V and A.

I respect you want people to evaluate their best options. However, you don't seem to present the DP in an objective way at all. I think DDE and DP are both good things and have repeatedly stated that. SO compare the other discounts... however, most visitors staying on site aren't DVC (to their dismay) or AP so they get no discounts. I am not sure about the AAA or Safari club discounts.

And yes, I AGREE 100% that ordering the double burger with the bun seems to go a little overboard. And the drink thing. If you can't afford it, its cool, but if you are just being frugal... well there is a point where you can be a little TOO frugal.

Yes, the DVC has a kitchen, but frankly I bought one not for the kitchen but because over the long run it was cheaper way to do a hotel. Yes, I could just stay at the all star, but I wanted to get a nice place for a good price, hence my purchase. I know some people use the kitchen and save a lot of money, but my opinion... I'M ON VACATION and I don't want to cook. Cold Cereal maybe, but thats about it. Of course that's just me. :earboy2:

The Plan is listed on DVC now BTW, although they don't list pricing. It is basically the same description as on the Disney Website.

yitbos96bb
12-31-2005, 09:00 AM
I haven't seen any restrictions personally other than the Signature restaurants. I see Cindy's is going on the signature list as of Feb. It appears Disney has continued to make minor changes in the restaurant list but at least they haven't been that negative overall, yet. BTW, many All Inclusive plans one can get traveling do have restrictions and surcharges for certain items and that's especially true for any you would get through a timeshare exchange.

Coral Reef is coming off, Cindy's is going on. I think that is the biggest change. I hope they do V and A sometime, but not holding my breath.

Her comment about restrictions was based on an earlier post where someone said she saw stickers about restrictions listed at the Brown Derby. I posted, asking when she went and if anyone had recently been that had seen this. I figured that she went whenthe plan first came out and they were still ironing out details.

yitbos96bb
12-31-2005, 09:12 AM
At the time, CM were familiar with the FnF plan as well. Others may not be that familiar with the FnF history. Here are some of the variations that the program took.

The original version was good for sitdown and counter service restaurants for 2 meals including app, entree & desert. It did exclude a number of the nicer restaurants and was more restrictive in that area than the current DP, IMO. It also included unlimited recreation (fishing exc, trail rides, watercraft & bikes (no surrey's). The first price I have is $47/13.50 and included tip but I don't recall about tax. It was for "Entire LOS" for all in the party with a min of 3 days.
They then started tampering with it keeping the price about the same but changing recreation options. First removing fishing and substituting parasailing. Then they instituted limits of two 1 hour coupon's per day.
Later they changed the plan entirely by making it essentially a prepaid cash card and also changed the name to Disney Dining Style where you paid $50 for adults and got credited for $55 & $22 for kids and got credited for $25. They further reduce the recreation options. At some point they reduced the min to 2 days after then changed to the prepaid dollar plan.
They then quickly separated the recreation for a separate and additional charge calling it Disney's World of Recreation. Price $33/23 but went back to unlimited usage and included the fishing excursions.
The DDE was a 20% discount and could not be combined with this program even though it was simply a prepaid plan and thus the DDE was a better deal for many then as well. There were a couple of other minor variations but these are the main ones I recall or have info on. Others may remember other info or additional differences along the way. And like the current plan, each could be good for certain people and not for others depending on your circumstances.

We only got the FnF once, for 3 days. We did fishing excursions twice, trail rides and ate ourselves silly. By the end of 3 days, even the kids were saying no desert. I did keep up with the costs and it was quite a deal. We spent $363 I believe (don't think tax was extra). Had we paid cash, it would have been just under $1000. Had we not had the plan we would likely have spent about the same as the $363 but had less to show for it.

Hopefully this helps.

Agreed that FnF was not good. But I think that FnF (besides being overpriced) fell into the DI trap. While I think the DI concept was amazing and loved it immensely, as Disney found out, most people aren't coming to WDW to take classes. It is a small minority (although I wish SSR let you rent Golf carts. I loved driving around DI in golf carts) of people. I think the numbers going out fishing and other recreation is a small minority as well. So none of these people took advantage of it making the price paid way too much. The Disney Style was not much of a discount at 10% and was obviously limited to what you put in to it.

The DP is being done much better than these previous plans. The price is better, etc, and the value is much higher.

Dean
12-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Ok, thats cool. Just seemed to be getting a little adversarial, but I obviously misinterpretted the tone. My apologies. :grouphug: You did, no need for an apology.

Ok, Yes, every single person is technically eligible for DDE. BUT, for many, pursuing it is WAY more expensive and not worth it. For the non DVCer on a week vacation, the price of a MYW expire is $233 or so pp. The Cost for an AP is $399, plus $50 for the DDE. So even if one person gets the AP for the DDE you are talking about a $216 cost layout. So one must spend more than $241 in discounts to break even, and make sure the DP isn't a better deal for them as well. Remember there are other options to get the DDE besides simply getting an AP for the entire party. You can buy a single pass, you can buy a pass but save it for future trip. It's likely you can continue with the DDE long term once you're a member if you don't renew your pass. Of course there are other ways to get more value from an AP but that's another thread. And there are multiple other discounts to include DVC. Safari club works at most Laundry's including Rainforest. There are also many Orlando options that save far more than even the DDE.

I think you are nuts for saying the DP is only good for a small amount of people and think you are really misestimating the value of the plan here. Yes, there is a small inherent risk of emergency, but my bet is that the emergency issue will affect only a small number. As for people eating less as time goes by, no one I know has done that as they wanted their full value. I know we took FULL advantage of the plan. Yes, I know some won't eat full value and I have seen those posts on DIS as well. But again, that seems to me a small minority of people. Your option of course, if it works for you you should use it. There have been posts on this BBS on other recent threads confirming that groups did eat less and not take full advantage as the time wore on as well as posts by people confirming it did not save them money. And there are many posts about having to use the snack options for water and soda to take with them. But as I noted earlier, I feel the plan needs to actually save you real money to be a viable option. One of the problems I think is that people are looking at the menu at the more expensive options and simply adding it up. Unless you have enough history and experience to know you would eat that way consistently, it is a POTENTIALLY false interpretation.

I respect you want people to evaluate their best options. However, you don't seem to present the DP in an objective way at all. I think DDE and DP are both good things and have repeatedly stated that. SO compare the other discounts... however, most visitors staying on site aren't DVC (to their dismay) or AP so they get no discounts. I am not sure about the AAA or Safari club discounts. And I've always said it's reasonable to have choices as well as stating specific situations where the plan likely would make sense for many people. However, I am convinced there are MANY people, including people on this board, who are falsely assuming it is a good deal for them when it is not. And I've mentioned in the past, it does tend to encourage people to overeat, not a small problem unto itself. But if I get people to think about their choices, I have fulfilled my agenda.Ok, Yes, every single person is technically eligible for DDE. BUT, for many, pursuing it is WAY more expensive and not worth it. For the non DVCer on a week vacation, the price of a MYW expire is $233 or so pp. The Cost for an AP is $399, plus $50 for the DDE. So even if one person gets the AP for the DDE you are talking about a $216 cost layout. So one must spend more than $241 in discounts to break even, and make sure the DP isn't a better deal for them as well.

yitbos96bb
12-31-2005, 06:01 PM
You did, no need for an apology.

Remember there are other options to get the DDE besides simply getting an AP for the entire party. You can buy a single pass, you can buy a pass but save it for future trip. It's likely you can continue with the DDE long term once you're a member if you don't renew your pass. Of course there are other ways to get more value from an AP but that's another thread. And there are multiple other discounts to include DVC. Safari club works at most Laundry's including Rainforest. There are also many Orlando options that save far more than even the DDE.

Your option of course, if it works for you you should use it. There have been posts on this BBS on other recent threads confirming that groups did eat less and not take full advantage as the time wore on as well as posts by people confirming it did not save them money. And there are many posts about having to use the snack options for water and soda to take with them. But as I noted earlier, I feel the plan needs to actually save you real money to be a viable option. One of the problems I think is that people are looking at the menu at the more expensive options and simply adding it up. Unless you have enough history and experience to know you would eat that way consistently, it is a POTENTIALLY false interpretation.

And I've always said it's reasonable to have choices as well as stating specific situations where the plan likely would make sense for many people. However, I am convinced there are MANY people, including people on this board, who are falsely assuming it is a good deal for them when it is not. And I've mentioned in the past, it does tend to encourage people to overeat, not a small problem unto itself. But if I get people to think about their choices, I have fulfilled my agenda.

Fair enough. If you CAN continue with the DDE, that is good news to hear (has anyone done this?).

In my dollar figure of $216, that includes only 1 Pass for non DVCers, PLUS the DDE. Obviously with DVCers, the price becomes less.. about $110 which is much better. Although, this was a DVC thread, I was also looking at this from the POV of a non DVCer as well, such as someone renting points.

The snacks do become a pain at a time.. I would rather they cut 2 bucks off the price and just not have it, although with DVC and the Fridge, you could get bottles of pop as you leave and put them there for the week. But they are an afterthought in the value.

I agree your posts do make people consider and I AGREE 100% they should. That is why I posted my original Food for Food comparison of DP vs DDE... because a vocal minority kept insinuating that the DP was a rip off when it really isn't. It is a fantastic deal IF YOU EAT ALL THE FOOD INVOLVED, as both of us have said. It just seems that even though your goal was to make people consider what is best, that your posts were not objective. I am thinking that this was not intentional, based on our "conversations" on the subject here, but to me the best way to make people think is to post objectively and if the conversation bears overwhelmingly to one side, play devils advocate. Of course this is just my opinion.

Either way, the end game should always be the same... HAVE A GREAT TIME AT WDW.

Dean
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree your posts do make people consider and I AGREE 100% they should. That is why I posted my original Food for Food comparison of DP vs DDE... because a vocal minority kept insinuating that the DP was a rip off when it really isn't. It is a fantastic deal IF YOU EAT ALL THE FOOD INVOLVED, as both of us have said. It just seems that even though your goal was to make people consider what is best, that your posts were not objective. I am thinking that this was not intentional, based on our "conversations" on the subject here, but to me the best way to make people think is to post objectively and if the conversation bears overwhelmingly to one side, play devils advocate. Of course this is just my opinion.To be honest, I wasn't trying to be all inclusive and give an overall of the plan. I merely acknowledged the general situations where the plan may work out for many people and tried to hit the points I think many people are missing. And I have been known to play the devil's advocate at times. Many Disney regulars tend to opt for convenience over price (using points for cruises, CC, DC, etc), their choice. It is my impression that many people would look at this plan and assume it's a good deal and many times it's not for them. I can guarantee you that even given my stance and DDE membership, I could plan a trip that would give me a significant savings. But in my micro planning way I'd be going through the menu's and planning not only specific restaurants but meal choices. Isn't the internet great for those of us who are OC.

Fair enough. If you CAN continue with the DDE, that is good news to hear (has anyone done this?). Too early to tell but knowing how their system works, I'd be very surprised if you were even asked about the pass on renewal. However, if you approach it like I have over the years by letting it expire then renewing when the need arose, I'm sure it would be a different scenario.

Dean
12-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Agreed that FnF was not good. But I think that FnF (besides being overpriced) fell into the DI trap. While I think the DI concept was amazing and loved it immensely, as Disney found out, most people aren't coming to WDW to take classes. It is a small minority (although I wish SSR let you rent Golf carts. I loved driving around DI in golf carts) of people. I think the numbers going out fishing and other recreation is a small minority as well. So none of these people took advantage of it making the price paid way too much. The Disney Style was not much of a discount at 10% and was obviously limited to what you put in to it.

The DP is being done much better than these previous plans. The price is better, etc, and the value is much higher.Actually the FnF was a great deal earl on as my numbers represented. Kids were not limited to kids meals, the recreation was a great experience and the prices for food was reasonable IF you planned correctly. But DVC found out it was too good a deal and couldn't leave well enough alone. I was sad to see it change into something that was only helpful if you had no other discounts.

BCV23
12-31-2005, 08:23 PM
When I renewed our DDE the other day, I was asked for both the number on my DDE card and my AP number. So yes, it appears you will need the AP to continue with DDE.

I continue to think the dining plan is a great option for some families. I also don't subscribe to the theory of only buying it if you always do appetizer, entree, dessert. That will certainly maximize the return but I think you can still get good value doing an appetizer, entree and beverage for instance.

yitbos96bb
01-01-2006, 12:35 AM
When I renewed our DDE the other day, I was asked for both the number on my DDE card and my AP number. So yes, it appears you will need the AP to continue with DDE.

I continue to think the dining plan is a great option for some families. I also don't subscribe to the theory of only buying it if you always do appetizer, entree, dessert. That will certainly maximize the return but I think you can still get good value doing an appetizer, entree and beverage for instance.

I guess that's a fair point as well. If everyone got dessert and you only got two appetizers for a table of 4 or 5 you still get good value.. especially ordering the Filet or Porterhouse with the add on lobster tail... MMM... Surf and Turf...

As several of us have said all along, you just need to look at your eating habits and do the math. For Foodies like my wife and I, the DP is a no brainer (as is adding the DDE as well... What can I say, I like to eat, and with the fact I will be dieting this year heavily, I am sure come my Disney trip Jan 2007, I will feel like splurging and regaining a few of those pounds.) because we will get our value on it (and the DDE thanks to party of 6 with Wine at V and A). I am curious what the cost would be if the premium plan is put on here, OR if they do a premium plan, sans the tours and recreation. The ability to eat TS every mean... OH HECK YA!!!

Ok, must quit food talk. Making myself hungry.

beacher
01-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I've seen it referenced a few times in this thread and wonder if anyone can confirm - is it possible to purchase the Dining Plan then use the DDE card to get 20% off alcohol purchases at a DP meal?

Thanks,

yitbos96bb
01-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I've seen it referenced a few times in this thread and wonder if anyone can confirm - is it possible to purchase the Dining Plan then use the DDE card to get 20% off alcohol purchases at a DP meal?

Thanks,

Currently, yes. Of course this could change at any time as we all know.

gamomof2
01-01-2006, 04:56 PM
If we have a trip that runs Sun - Wed and we buy the dining plan do we get credits for checkin and checkout days? Does it matter what time of the day we check in? Whether it be 9 am or 9 pm? If I figure right we would get 4 days of credits. Correct?

calypso*a*go-go
01-01-2006, 05:08 PM
It's based on the number of nights you stay...you would get three days worth of the meal plan: 3 counter service, 3 sit-down, and 3 snacks for each person. The time of day you check in or check out isn't going to make a difference in how many credits you get. I believe all the credits are no longer useable @ midnight on the day of check out.

yitbos96bb
01-01-2006, 07:25 PM
It's based on the number of nights you stay...you would get three days worth of the meal plan: 3 counter service, 3 sit-down, and 3 snacks for each person. The time of day you check in or check out isn't going to make a difference in how many credits you get. I believe all the credits are no longer useable @ midnight on the day of check out.

TO verify, yes you are correct. The credits expire at Midnight of Checkout day. It was nice they did this, instead of them expiring at checkout from the hotel. Lets you enjoy time at the parks if you have a late flight.

Ksp
01-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I read the information posted on DVC's website--can anyone tell me if I must buy DP for each day of my stay, or can I only purchase a portion of my stay--like 3 days of DP although I'm staying 4 days?
Does everyone in the room (barring toddlers) have to buy into the DP if we decide to try it?

yitbos96bb
01-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I read the information posted on DVC's website--can anyone tell me if I must buy DP for each day of my stay, or can I only purchase a portion of my stay--like 3 days of DP although I'm staying 4 days?
Does everyone in the room (barring toddlers) have to buy into the DP if we decide to try it?

Yes to all questions. Yes, you must buy for every night of your stay and yes all in the party have to buy that are in the room.

Chuck S
01-01-2006, 07:37 PM

Yes, it must be for the entire length of your stay, for the number of nights (not days) of your stay, everyone in the room, age 3 or over, must have the plan.

Ksp
01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks, yitbos96bb and Chuck S! I'm sitting here trying to decide which dining plan to use--DP, or DDE--reading over all the previous posts sure has been helpful. Now I just have to do the math.

Laurajean1014
01-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I can only comment on DDE. I love it. In 4 days, we broke even and now are in the black for our April trip with 8 of our friends. So, everybody wins!

We love CA Grill, Citrico's, Jiko, etc. So we maybe better off with DDE.

When they offer DP, I'll check into it.

MAGICFOR2
01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your input! My head is spinning from the math :goodvibes Anyway, we have in the past, been the "once in a lifetimers", and found a way to avoid ordering meals in the park for our family. Last year my DH and I enjoyed being able to eat when and where we wanted to, and not spend half the day leaving the park to eat.

We are thinking the plan would be good, as we can just indulge the family and know up front what the cost will be. Maybe we will "share" a little if we are not real hungry - although I guess if you have to purchase for the whole party it probably isn't necessary to try to combine credits. :rolleyes:

CRSNDSNY
01-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that comparison Chuck S! I think we'll be sticking to DDE as well. Perhaps I'm just being lazy, but I hate the thought of having to deal with a point system to eat. :confused3

londonderrydisneyfan
01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Is the price definitely going to stay at $37.99/$10.99 for DVC members? The current DP price is based on two incentives - to get people to stay on property and then to get them to eat there too. Disney doesn't need the first incentive for DVC so I think they would raise the price to reflect that.

Dean
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Is the price definitely going to stay at $37.99/$10.99 for DVC members? The current DP price is based on two incentives - to get people to stay on property and then to get them to eat there too. Disney doesn't need the first incentive for DVC so I think they would raise the price to reflect that.Others have reported being told that by MS. And though I could see reasoning from Disney to have a higher price for DVC, I think it would complicate the system more than the extra income. I'd expect it to stay the same price.

londonderrydisneyfan
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Others have reported being told that by MS. And though I could see reasoning from Disney to have a higher price for DVC, I think it would complicate the system more than the extra income. I'd expect it to stay the same price.

Thanks, that is a great price. I never thought we would use the DP, but since we have three kids under the age of 9 it makes sense for us.

vpack05
01-03-2006, 03:15 PM

this was so helpful in planning for our upcoming trip! I just wanted to tell you thanks for taking the time to detail out the DDE savings and DDP advantages. I have 4 children, 2 are juniors (12, 11) and I'm also thinking we'll save a bundle on those character meals and table service meals. If we could eat TS at every meal, we would!

Diznut84
04-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Did the price of the Dining Plan increase?

Thanks!

Chuck S
04-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Current price of Disney Dining Plan is $37.99 for adults and $10.99 for children 3 to 9, per person, per night of your ressie.

Current DDE price is $60 per year for AP holders and $85 for non-passholder Florida residents. Additional (optional) spouse card is $25.

jimmytammy
04-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I did some figuring today on this very subject based on our trip in Dec. We had the DDE card with us at that time. We have 2 kids who have good appetites now. For us, the math still pushes us towards the DDE vs DP. I wish I could eat and truly enjoy the amount of food to get your $s worth out of the DP. But honestly, DW and I both agreed we would be stuffed to the gills with that much food. And we love the TS restaurants. We consider ordering cheese soup before the meal at Le Cellier a stretch.

But I am glad that there are folks that are taking advantage of the DP through DVC. It just doesnt add up for us.

rinkwide
04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
...I wish I could eat and truly enjoy the amount of food to get your $s worth out of the DP...No kidding. Makes you wonder who Disney had in mind when they came up with this thing, William "The Refrigerator" Perry?

tomandrobin
04-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I think it all depends on how you use each plan and what your eating habits are like. We used the dining plan for our New Years trip this past year. My wife and I and three tennage kids. We planned ahead, made reservations at some the best Disney resturants every day. It was a real treat, especially for the kids. We did not drink on the trip, so that is a factor. Tips and taxes are included which is a big savings. (We did tip additional anyway, we always reward great service). We were determined to make the dining plan worth the money, which for this trip was. Also, during New Years Eve and New Years Day the DDE does not apply, which were two of our six days there.

Another thing, with the kids going, we didn't always eat together. The kids just used their room keys to use the meal plan. With the DDE we need to be together to use the DDE card.

Now on our next trip we are not using the dining plan. Eating out at all those restuarants are great, but after a couple days you start to feel like a bloated tick. Plus are next two trips it will be just the wife and I. We will eat a bigger breakfast, not so many large dinners and drink wine and such. On the next two trips the DDE works alot better .

tomandrobin
04-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Oh, just one more comment. The dining plan is not really a cost effective way of eating. But sometimes its not about the cheapest, just most effective for your own needs.

Dean
04-28-2006, 06:01 PM
No kidding. Makes you wonder who Disney had in mind when they came up with this thing, William "The Refrigerator" Perry?exactly!

mamatojon
04-29-2006, 01:10 AM
No kidding. Makes you wonder who Disney had in mind when they came up with this thing, William "The Refrigerator" Perry?

You know, I've read people saying this type of thing before and always felt a little bit insulted because I can totally see myself utilizing the dining plan and yet I don't feel like I'm a complete pig either. I really don't think comments like this are helpful at all, just kind of mean and alienating to those of us who actually really like the dining plan. I don't understand why people can't just say that the DP doesn't work for them because they are light eaters rather than insinuate that anybody it does work for financially must be real gluttons.

Dean
04-29-2006, 07:39 AM
You know, I've read people saying this type of thing before and always felt a little bit insulted because I can totally see myself utilizing the dining plan and yet I don't feel like I'm a complete pig either. I really don't think comments like this are helpful at all, just kind of mean and alienating to those of us who actually really like the dining plan. I don't understand why people can't just say that the DP doesn't work for them because they are light eaters rather than insinuate that anybody it does work for financially must be real gluttons.I'm sure it was a joke, at least that's the way I took it. Though it is my belief that the meal plan, for an extended period of around a week or more, is too much food for most people. Not intending to be insulting and not referring to present weight at all, only future happenings and other health issues.

tomandrobin
04-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I agree with you Dean. When we used it at New Years Eve, 6 nights....it was real hard to finish the meals the last two days. I think I gained 4 pounds on the trip, even with all the walking! Would we use it again, yes.

mamatojon
04-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry, I think I'm just being over sensitive.

Pig Pen
04-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I used the DDE on our last trip and carefully analyzed our eating habits as I was considering the dining plan for our Dec trip. We both agreed that the dining plan would not work for us. We tend to eat our main meal at lunch as neither of us like to eat after 6:00 pm. Since lunch prices are generally cheaper, this is one deterrant. We also like to graze rather than eat big meals.

I would LOVE to do the dining plan as it seems to be a simple way of budgeting for meals, but I think the DDE is a better plan for us. Especially the FREE dining! (I momentarily considered booking a Sept trip to take advantage, but paying rack rates to get it doesn't work for us either!)

rigs32
04-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't think the food per night is a lot, but it's the way it's provided. You get one CS and one TS. The TS has so much more food, what with the appetizer and dessert.

Yet, many people like to eat three meals a day. In that case, you would be splitting meals to stretch the number of credits. My mom and I will likely split CS for breakfast and lunch a couple of days on our trip.

There are ways to "cut down" on your intake without giving up DP benefits. Using your appetizer credit at TS for salad cuts down on calorie intake (depending on dressing) and gives you a more diversified meal. I was excited to hear people being allowed to substitute fruit for a side or dessert. That's easier to take with you than cake and could be eaten while in a line or waiting for a show and a heck of a lot better for you.

I prefer smaller courses, so just having an entree would be a bit boring for me. If you look at the menus, you rarely (if ever) get soup/salad with an entree and often the veggie component is measly or non-existent. I'm really looking forward to ordering apps and desserts for all of us to share and be able to sample many items. If I were paying OOP, we'd stick with CS and maybe one or two TS (I am the queen of budget vacationing).

Granted my DP plan will be free, but I broke it down and even if paying, I would end up with all those apps and desserts free based on my ordering at the places I have ADRs. I also don't have to snip at my DH for wanting to order the most expensive thing on the menu.

Califgirl
04-29-2006, 04:16 PM
We haven't used the DP yet, but I did get it for our upcoming trip while we are staying at OKW.
What convinced me to get it was the fact that tax and tip were included. To eat at Disney for $38 per day (tax and tip included) seems to be a great deal. Will it be more food than we can eat? Probably, but we enjoy sit down dinners and not worrying about the cost of what we are ordering is a wonderful perk. I really don't think we could eat much cheaper on our own without feeling like we were putting an awful lot of effort into watching our budget.
With the Dining Plan I know we can eat well and I know what it will cost me.

Dean
04-29-2006, 07:14 PM
To eat at Disney for $38 per day (tax and tip included) seems to be a great deal.We normally eat 2 TS meals per day and using the DDE, spend far less than $38 per per per day on average and that includes eating at least once per trip at a signature restaurant. But likely not everyone eats as we do.

byoung
04-29-2006, 07:24 PM
A lot of the days you had only one meal listed? We always eat at least 2 meals a day.