PDA

View Full Version : Any expert knitters??? I have a ?

SC Minnie
12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
I have a question for any expert knitters. I made this spiral scarf and it is waaaayyyy too long. Is there a way I can cut and shorten this thing or do I need to just toss it?

clh2
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't know anything about "spiral scarves" I am assuming it is a particular pattern.

But - as the daughter of a major knitter - and I have made several scarves myself...this is what you can do if it was a "straight regular knitted or knitted and purled" scarf:

From the end that you ended at, try to find your loose end, or I personally would just cut the yarn right at the end, and make your own loose end. Slowly unravel what you have knit until it is the right length for you. Then, carefully put the knitting back on a knitting needle. Make sure you have the same number of stitches in the row as when you where knitting it, and then make sure the first row you knit is the correct type of row - i.e. figure out if the next row should be a knit row, or a purl row etc.

If your scarf has a different pattern at the "casting on" side, then repeat that pattern on the "casting off" side, and then cast off.

My mom was a perfectionist for knitting. She ripped out many a thing if it wasn't right, and then always put it back on the needle.

Good Luck!

Rebecca12345
12-12-2005, 10:34 PM
hi ~ I made a scarf that turned out too long, so I turned up the ends & sewed the sides to make 'pockets' on each end. I don't know if this would work with your pattern? :jumping1: