PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Placement (AP) Classes...

DHSsenior007
12-10-2005, 10:17 PM
As anyone on this board taking AP classes? Today I had a AP US History mock exam... definitely interesting...

AP is definitely harder than Pre-AP. I'm taking AP English III, AP US History, AP Chemistry II, AP Statistics, Pre-AP Physics, and Pre-AP Pre-Cal. I'm a junior, and the only one doubling maths and sciences. It has definitely been the hardest year yet!

What about y'all?

Daisymae26
12-11-2005, 01:31 PM
there's only one sophomore AP class you can take unless you're super smart in the math area (not me), so i'm in AP European History, which is loads of work.

DisneyGirl421
12-11-2005, 06:49 PM
The only AP class I took was AP English. and in my school, you can only start the AP classes junior year. So right now, I'm in AP English 2.
And I woulda taken AP Calc, but this year was the first year that my school offered honors Calc, so I took that instead. lol i'm a slacker.. :)

TiggerLove101
12-11-2005, 08:59 PM
i'm taking AP US History as a junior. Next year i'll be taking AP English, AP Calculus and maybe an AP science. There's also AP foreign languages and AP Government which I might consider.

AP History this year is really hard though. Ugh I hate school.

2HOT2touch
12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm only a sophmore and i dont think we are allowed to take APs yet. but I am taking 2 maths and no science, so hopefully I will beable to get into Chem ext year and maybe Pre-Calc and then hopefully my senior year I will beable to take Calculus and AP Chem and AP US history. But i dont know yet, because again, I am only a sophmore.

DHSsenior007
12-12-2005, 07:35 AM
At my school you can't take AP classes until you're a junior, either. Most people just take 4 core classes (for the upper level juniors, it would be AP English, AP US History, Pre-AP Physics and Pre-AP Pre-Cal). I'm just being weird and raising my GPA, so I'm the only one I know of that is taking 6 (what we call) level 3 courses...

I must say AP US History is a pain. Those notes... ugh... complete outlines of chapters in one night!

soccercruiser87
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
the only AP class i took was AP US History last year when i was a junior.

er3465
12-12-2005, 01:53 PM
I took AP US History my junior year and the test was pretty hard, and senior year I took AP US Government and AP Biology and I enjoyed the classes but I didn't take the tests because I was away.

ann-e-mator
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm a senior and the only class I had to take this year was English so I take AP Lit. and I LOOOOOOOVE that class because I love English. And yeah we write A TON of papers but I love just sitting in class - we sit in a big circle and we argue and debate theories about the books we read. It's a lot of fun.

AllyGirlie
12-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I've never taken any AP classes (although teachers have recommended me for them) but I have taken French 2 & 3 Honors, it was a lot of work, but I liked it probably cause I had an awesome teacher..

JackSparrow0791
12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
that looks a lot like what my junior year class course is going to look like...

minniegirl88
12-12-2005, 08:42 PM
AP classes stink.......especially when you have crappy teachers!!!!!

For instance Biology.......don't even mention that subject to me :guilty: Its not that Biology is hard but its definately hard when your teacher tells you this and that will be on the test and then he goes and gets some test with questions whose answers were never covered or arent in notes or the book!!!

AP English though I like and AP Calculus is a little hard but not tooo bad~!

wdwgirl03
12-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I only took AP Biology and AP French in high school. I just don't understand why some kids overload like they do. :confused3

ellindea
12-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I didn't have an oppurtunity to take AP classes 'til my junior yr., when I took AP English Language and Comp...it was enjoyable for the most part. I like English and we had some fun times in class, debating and discussing as someone else mentioned they do...but our teacher was not the best...she graded super hard and she would always plan for us twice as much stuff than we could cover, so anytime we had an assignment there was a 50/50 chance that we would actually turn it in and go over it (except for essays, which we did a lot of)...really annoying. That yr. I took all the challenging classes I felt I could (I'm kind of a dork that way I guess :rolleyes: ), so I also had Honors Chemistry, Pre-Calc, and Honors World History on my plate. Senior year I lightened up a little and only took two advanced classes: AP English Lit. and AP Government. Both were fun, but Gov. was the best. Just really interesting stuff, and things I'm really gonna be able to use when voting and stuff. Plus an awesome teacher. Anyway, so I enjoyed the AP experience and was glad I took the tests (college credit! woohoo!!).

--Danielle :flower:

disneyangel7488
12-14-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm taking AP English now. In my school, you can't take APs until junior year, and even then you can only take AP Bio or Chem (for which, you had to have taken regular bio freshman year and regular shem soph year, and I took bio soph year and chem junior year). The only other AP courses offered besides English, bio, and chem are Calc (have to take pre-calc junior year, which I didn't do) and US History (which I was going to take, but changed my mind).

DHSsenior007
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Whenever I signed up for all these courses, all of my friends, and myself really, thought I was crazy. The weird thing is, it hasn't been as hard as work as I thought. Sure, I've stayed up past 1 AM some nights doing homework, but not that often. I don't know, it's the hardest I've ever worked, and it's getting my GPA waaay high above everyone else's...

Disneymusicgirl
12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I took AP US Government and Politics as a sophomore. I took AP US History and AP Spanish Language 5 last year as a junior. This year I'm taking AP World History, AP Statistics, and AP English 12.

I have to admit, I haven't really enjoyed any of my AP classes. It's a lot of extra work, and I've always felt that the teachers didn't prepare us well enough for the AP tests. I'm not so sure I'm going to take any AP tests this year, because it's so much work and I don't feel very prepared so far. Plus, it's a waste of money if I do badly, and do really well requires a lot of extra time that I don't have. Good luck to those who do decide to take AP tests this year!

A word of advice to the underclassman: DON'T overload your schedule. I learned the hard way last year. Too many hard classes = too much work, which can lead to bad test scores.