PDA

View Full Version : Pins on Airplanes

tap & dap
09-19-2001, 08:35 PM
Has anyone tried to carry pins on board since the tighter restrictions came about? We are going to Disneyland in October and are unsure whether they will even let you carry the pins on board now. We would hate to check them for fear of never seeing them again.

Anyone had any experience with checking pins before?

Any help would be great.

snowgooseltd
09-19-2001, 09:08 PM
I'm waiting for an answer to this one, also. We're headed south on Monday morning and where my pins are traveling ( with me or in my luggage) will decide which ones are going and which are staying home.

Mainepinpal
09-19-2001, 10:01 PM
There's a thread on the Dizpins Board on this subject, if you want to check out what some people have said.

suzanneb
09-20-2001, 09:51 AM
I am not able to post to DizPins...I've never been able to "get in"...please please post your experinces here with carry-on pin bags...before the tragedy, my pin bag (which has 200 or so traders in it) was frequently opened and searched...and given back to me. I would PLEASE like to hear of DIS members experiences, so I can determine how best to get my pins to Orlando for my next trip
Thank you!

Iris
09-20-2001, 09:55 AM
My co-worker just got back from Florida on Sunday. The only thing they really looked at was the pins. She had several items in her bag that she thought they would take (scissors for her cross stitch, hairspray, tweezers, etc) but they didn't care about this at all.

She had no problem bringing the "ton" of pins she had purchased.

snowgooseltd
09-20-2001, 11:10 AM
I read the responses on Dizpins message board and mostly they were in the same vein as on our beloved Dis. One different response, and somewhere I may have seen this here, also, was to mail your pins to yourself, at the resort. Now, maybe I'm thick, but the mail goes by air from where I live. I believe you would leave the fate of your pins to the airlines and post office without the benefit of an explanation as to their purpose. I have no intention of letting hundreds of dollars, perhaps more, worth of pins out of my sight with the high level of anxiety that is present. Just MHO.

Cheshire Figment
09-20-2001, 02:22 PM
I went to www.fedex.com and clicked on rates. We use (for pin hauling) a Samsonite rolling hard-side carryon. When we went to DL earlier this month, we asked at the airline counter for them to weigh it for us and it came to 35 pounds. I put in our local (Washington DC area) ZIP Cdde and LBV (32830). I asked for ground with our packaging, weight of 40 pounds and dimensions of 24x16x8 inches. Put in options and declared value of $3,000. It came back saying normally three days, cost would be $13.18 for shipping, $10.15 for excess insurance, and 30 for 1.25% fuel surcharge, total $23.63. This would involve dropping off at a FedEx location and they would deliver it to the hotel. Return shipment home should be the same. Normally FedEx stops at the Disney hotels at least once a day. We figure that with $3,000 insurance coverage they will take good care of it. I will also look for a way (probably banding) so it will not "accidently" open enroute.

Of course, before our next trip we will check with the airline security office a couple of weeks ahead of time as we would prefer to take the case on board with us.

suzanneb
09-24-2001, 09:12 AM
Keep posting of your experiences in travelling by air with your pins...some have said they are still carrying them on, others checking, others "FEDEXing"...Please keep input...I'm concerned about my full book of traders!

~Kathie
09-24-2001, 09:38 AM
Linda just went to WDW and reported on this very thing. I just bumped it up but here is the link.

http://www.disboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98314

Beverly Lynn
09-24-2001, 10:19 PM
my bag was one that went thru a random bag search adn they looked briefly at the pins in mco but that was it.

tap & dap
09-28-2001, 06:19 PM
:pinkbounc :pinkbounc