PDA

View Full Version : eBay Seller misrepresented an item.... should I leave negative feedback?- UPDATE

Kimmielee
12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
The item in question was a Dora's "Ultimate" Talking House. It was listed to include 3 bonus sets (back yard playset, pool and deck set and the Nursery). In addition he stated that it included 6 sets of furniture and 11 figures.

It was listed at $99 or "buy now" for $139.99. I read the description carefully, knew that the shipping charges was $20 and also read messages between another bidder and the seller asking specifically if the set included all that was described since some of the items in the description were not pictured. He answered "Yes, you get everything in the description and the photos". So, I bid... and I won.

Well, wouldn't you know... it does not have the 6 sets of furniture, nor does it have the 11 figures. So, is my ONLY option to return it and leave negative feedback? His response to my email was that it was a listing error - sorry. Return it. Well, for $20 I return it and have to start from scratch to find it now? What I did receive WAS available at the time at WalMart, but not now. $89.99 at WalMart... I paid $112.50 plus the shipping. So.... I asked if he would refund $20 to put toward the missing items that I now must attempt to find.

His email response was very unfriendly... with a "I gave you your option... Keep it as is or return it for a full refund." How is it a full refund when I have to pay $20 to return it?????

Sorry, I'm venting... a somewhat newer eBay buyer but first time I've been burned. What would you do? :confused3

DianeV
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
When its the sellers error they should be paying for you to return it. I would email them back and ask them if they plan on also refunding the shipping to send it back since it was a "listing error" on their part.

DMRick
12-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I would first do as suggested above. Then I would let Paypal know you did not receive what you paid for, and see if you can file for fees. Others have had success with this, and they have not had to return the item.

ceecee
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes, he should pay you to ship it back.

paslea_pooh
12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I've never really had a bad experience with an ebayer, well , yeah I did, once.... But most Ebayers are honest people... Try and resolve it with him, if you cant' then contact ebay... If he doesn't ship you exactly what he stated in the auction, you absolutely have recourse... What is his ebay id? You can always leave negative feedback.... email him and let him know, he will recieve negative feedback as a result of this. Maybe that will be enough to make him correct this.

Good Luck to you.

etwinchester
12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I would contact paypal for a refund due to misrepresentation. This seller doesn't seem like he is going to be civil or friendly about it.

Kimmielee
12-07-2005, 10:44 PM
His feedback was MOSTLY positive... the only negative in the recent months was someone claiming they returned and never got a refund, but he disputed that. He had over 4,000 transactions.

The thing is, he sold about a dozen of these "mislabled" items... so I'm not the only one. I lost two earlier bids before I won it on my third try.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one smart enough to open it and investigate! Other's may wait until Christmas morning and have a very disappointed child with a doll house with NO FURNITURE!!! :earseek:

Scotch
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
If you plan to give negative feedback, and I think you ought to, do so at the 90th day mark when it is the last point possible to provide feedback. (I've never done this but I have read this advice on my other message boards, so hopefully someone here can verify whether it is the 90th day and whether it is on a 24 hour clock so it is exactly 90 days from the time of the auction?) Why? Then he/she won't have the chance to screw with your ratings by giving you negative feedback even though there is no reason to give you negative feedback.

robinb
12-08-2005, 12:11 AM
So, it has no furniture and no figurines? Hmmm ... you say that he sold many of these houses. Is he still selling them with the same description? If yes, no holds barred he would get a negative from me. Now. So that other buyers can be warned.

DMRick
12-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Nope, not true. If you have the auction number, you can often leave feedback longer than the 90 days. But I wouldn't give a neg yet..first, try to resolve it.

If you plan to give negative feedback, and I think you ought to, do so at the 90th day mark when it is the last point possible to provide feedback. (I've never done this but I have read this advice on my other message boards, so hopefully someone here can verify whether it is the 90th day and whether it is on a 24 hour clock so it is exactly 90 days from the time of the auction?) Why? Then he/she won't have the chance to screw with your ratings by giving you negative feedback even though there is no reason to give you negative feedback.

kilee
12-08-2005, 06:48 AM
In this case, because he misrepresented I think I'd demand a full refund plus your shipping costs to return. He was wrong here. I'd file a complaint w/ both ebay and paypal. You didn't get what the auction stated.
As for leaving a negative- if he doesn't work with you then it would be warranted. As for one in retaliation- just respond to it and don't worry about it.

mitushib
12-08-2005, 08:38 AM
My 2 cents is this. You senidng it back and getting a refund will not solve your problem!!! You still will be stuck with no gift for whoever you bought this for. Your talk with seller should not be about returning the stuff but rather the seller IF he wants to avoid a paypal dispute/-ve feedback should send you the rest of the promised stuff!! If he does not agree ask paypal to intervene. 4000+ feedbacks will not be screwed by 1 -ve [As much as i hope it does]. Tell him to send you the rest of the stuff as promised or you go into a dispute.

poohfriend
12-08-2005, 08:41 AM
he misrepresented the item. This is not a simple matter of you not being pleased.

he made the mistake, he should pay for shipping.

Ebay and paypal require you to make an effort to resolve. You've done that. You can try again if you want..and tell him, you'll be filing a complaint (not just negative feedback) if he cannot figure out a way to work with you.

If you and the others that bought the item all filed complaints, he'd likely lose his selling priveledges on ebay. You may be able to do a search under sold items to obtain some ids. Too many complaints complicates raises red flags no matter how many previous items they have sold. Selling on ebay is under their terms and not part of the bill of rights.

About negative feedback. He'll most likely leave you negative feedback. Make sure your score can handle it. His can with 4000 feedback.

good luck!

C.Ann
12-08-2005, 08:43 AM
If you were to file a complaint with Paypal, wouldn't that put a "freeze" on his account? If so, maybe the thought of that happening would make him change his mind.. :confused3

ntburns22
12-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Why? Then he/she won't have the chance to screw with your ratings by giving you negative feedback even though there is no reason to give you negative feedback.

My DH had this happen to him. He bought tickets to an NFL game. The auction ended 2 weeks before the game. Game day came no tickets were ever recieved. My DH also sent about 30 emails that went unanswered. He also told him he was going to leave negative feedback. We still never heard anything. So he filed a claim with paypal and ebay and then left negative feedback. Shortly after his money was returned by the seller and the seller left him negative feedback too. Now my husband's rating is 95. He only had like 11 purchases and now he is trying to sell and lets just say it is not going well. Would you buy from someone with 95%?

C.Ann
12-08-2005, 09:15 AM
My DH had this happen to him. He bought tickets to an NFL game. The auction ended 2 weeks before the game. Game day came no tickets were ever recieved. My DH also sent about 30 emails that went unanswered. He also told him he was going to leave negative feedback. We still never heard anything. So he filed a claim with paypal and ebay and then left negative feedback. Shortly after his money was returned by the seller and the seller left him negative feedback too. Now my husband's rating is 95. He only had like 11 purchases and now he is trying to sell and lets just say it is not going well. Would you buy from someone with 95%?
----------------------------

Why did it drop all the way down to 95% from just one negative? I've never had a neg, so I'm not sure how they work the percentages.. :confused3

ohiominnie
12-08-2005, 09:23 AM
We bought tickets to a college football game. The guy sent us ours (finally) but ended up NOT sending them to tons of other ppl. Ebay closed him down about a week before game day when lots of ppl complained they hadn't gotten their tickets. He's now missing and the state auditor of Ohio is investigating. Google news "Mark West ebay" and you can get the whole story if you want. We were one of the last ppl to actually GET our tickets.

robinb
12-08-2005, 09:27 AM

This is one of the reasons why I have one account for buying and one account for selling. I want to be able to leave a negative without fearing that some moron will ruin my seller's rating with a retalitory negative. It was a PITA to begin with because I had to "pre-approve" myself more than once with a seller while my buyer account was less than 10. Perhaps it would be better for your DH to start a new account, buy a couple of things to get some feedback and then use the new account for selling only.

DMRick
12-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Because if you have only 11 original feedbacks and you get 1 neg, you should have 90.0% of good feedback, if I'm doing the math right. I would start over and rebuild.

----------------------------

Why did it drop all the way down to 95% from just one negative? I've never had a neg, so I'm not sure how they work the percentages.. :confused3

HaleyB
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree I would just start a new ebay account. I currently use my seller account to buy from, maybe I should open a second one. However I never look at the % with feedback unless it is really low. I read the feedback and try to see what is going on. I have bought from people with one or two neg.s that were well explained. If a neg comes from someone with almost no feedback I discount it. Newbies are way to free with negs.

foofanella
12-08-2005, 10:26 AM
If you take a look at this guys recent feedback, it seems that everyone has come to some kind of agreement with him - perhaps he refunded the price of the furniture? Maybe you could email those people and ask them how they resolved it amicably?

C.Ann
12-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Because if you have only 11 original feedbacks and you get 1 neg, you should have 90.0% of good feedback, if I'm doing the math right. I would start over and rebuild.
------------------

Ah..now I get it.. Yup - I would just start over.. :flower:

Kimmielee
12-08-2005, 06:36 PM
The seller is being completely unreasonable. I almost think it's a scam for him to send them out this way, KNOWING that the sets didn't include everything but that we would be stuck with them since it's a hard to find item right now (the set, not just the house).

He wants ME to ship it back to HIM at my cost to refund the $$. What a crock. I went to Target this evening and found some of the missing items, but I'm still searching for a few.

This cured me from eBay. I had grounded myself anyway... so now, eBay is no longer a resource for me. How sad that an idiot seller ruins it for a good paying customer. :confused3

D,L and K's Mom
12-08-2005, 06:44 PM
won the other auctions? Ask if they have had the same experience. Also check to see if he is still selling them with the same description...then report him.....That is a shame. I bought DD's Dora Talking Dollhouse on Target .com when they had a toy sale. Check it out. They may still ahve some available.

Kimmielee
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I just don't want to deal with this jerk anymore.... so I'll cut my losses, learn my lesson, leave negative feedback and be done with it.

I opened the box, searching for the missing items.... so I'm concerned that the "jerk" will get the return and fail to refund my $$ because the box was opened.

I could go out and buy the same items ... house $49.99, pool and deck $14.99, Nursery $19.99 and backyard playset for $14.99... around $100. The set was sold by Walmart as a discount of $89.99, but you can't get it now.

I paid the jerk $112.50 and $20 shipping and handling. So... to get a refund, it will cost me $20, I'll have to spend $100 to buy the items....so I'd spend $120 to get $134.10 back..... and that's only about $14.10 back to me. So.... I'm done, with him AND with eBay. :confused3

I tried to find the other auctions that ended and can't. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know!!

Today, he RAISED his base price from $99.99 to $104.99 and removed the extra items that aren't included from the description. If anything, perhaps I saved another buyer from being scammed.

Now, I need to figure out how to leave a negative response that fully describes what he did in 80 characters or LESS!!! :rotfl2:

ZuZugal
12-08-2005, 07:37 PM
What an awful experience. Don't let it totally turn you from ebay though...still so many good sellers and buyers out there. I had one bad experience that turned me off for a while, but life goes on.

Aneille
12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I saw the pool and deck at Toys R Us online today on sale. It was 9.99 I think. I was just browsing but I think they lowered the prices.

Sorry about ebay.

DMRick
12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Now, I need to figure out how to leave a negative response that fully describes what he did in 80 characters or LESS!!! :rotfl2:
Need more characters? Leave your feedback through here..125 chatacters (you may have to read between the lines, if you don't have that language loaded on your computer LOL):

http://feedback.tw.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?GetAndShowTransactions&userid=&otheruserid=default&item=0&nflw=1&page=1

robinb
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I tried to find the other auctions that ended and can't. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know!!

Today, he RAISED his base price from $99.99 to $104.99 and removed the extra items that aren't included from the description. If anything, perhaps I saved another buyer from being scammed.

I think you did. You didn't over-pay by a whole lot, so don't feel too bad. He probably only made about $25.

To find his completed auctions, it's something like: to to advanced search, choose search by seller, type in his name and then select "include completed auctions". That may not be exact, but it's the general idea.

WatchinCaptKangaroo
12-08-2005, 08:29 PM

This should be 80

Missing parts Asked 4 refund w/ rtrn Wouldn’t refnd return shipping Nasty emails

DMRick
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
This should be 80

Missing parts Asked 4 refund w/ rtrn Wouldn’t refnd return shipping Nasty emails

If she goes through the site I gave, she has a lot more characters..can fill in the blanks.

Kimmielee
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
If she goes through the site I gave, she has a lot more characters..can fill in the blanks.

What is that site? It looks funny... another language perhaps?

DMRick
12-08-2005, 09:09 PM
What is that site? It looks funny... another language perhaps?
I believe it's ebay Taiwan or China. I used their feedback forum when I need a lot of space. I was given it about a year ago on an ebay board. I have only used it for positives, and I was pretty nervous, so you might want to practice first LOL.

SherriW
12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
That chinese ebay looks pretty funny!!

tlbwriter
12-09-2005, 07:12 AM
I believe it's ebay Taiwan or China. I used their feedback forum when I need a lot of space. I was given it about a year ago on an ebay board. I have only used it for positives, and I was pretty nervous, so you might want to practice first LOL.
I've heard eBay has started removing feedback left through this site (unless, of course, it was intended for that site). Has anyone else heard about ths?

DMRick
12-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I've heard eBay has started removing feedback left through this site (unless, of course, it was intended for that site). Has anyone else heard about ths?
I went and looked, and the feedback I posted is still there. I can't imagine eBay would waste all that time trying to search it out. Where did you hear that? I know several on the eBay yahoo boards use it all the time.

tlbwriter
12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
I went and looked, and the feedback I posted is still there. I can't imagine eBay would waste all that time trying to search it out. Where did you hear that? I know several on the eBay yahoo boards use it all the time.
I read it on a different board. I don't remember if anyone actually reported it happening to them, or if they had just "heard" it was happening, so it could be an urban legend. Perhaps the recipient of the bad feedback can report that it was given through the wrong site? :confused3

Kimmielee
12-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Lesson learned... eBay's policy is a buyer is responsible for paying shipping fees to return an item - no matter what the circumstances...

Regardless, I left the negative feedback, which of course, he left one for me as well... my rating suffered much more than his so I guess I'm done with eBay.

Oh, I think I broke a rule too ... I emailed the buyer of the same item on the one that I lost the auction... she paid $155 for hers... to let her know that all items were not included. Apparently, watching out for others being scammed is not acceptable either. :rolleyes:

eBay doesn't seem to be a very "buyer" friendly place!!! :confused3