PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Sausage - What do you do with it?

Zandy595
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
DS10 loves smoked sausage. The only way I ever cook it is on the grill. I'm kind of getting tired of eating it this way.

Does anyone have a recipe they'd like to share?

goofymom/pop
12-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I cut it up in 2 inch pieces, place it in a deep casserole, wash and cut up several potatoes and put them on top. I cut up one onion and green pepper for flavor, put that on top. Top with a generous blop of margarine,cover and bake at 380 for about an hour, or until potatoes are done. My DS 11 just eats around the peppers. WE love this. Its quick and easy and you just scoop out some of the butter from the bottom of the dish and pour over the potatoes.....hope this helps. You can substitute italian sausage but make sure sausage has time to cook throughly. Maybe an hour and 15 minutes.

FantasticDisFamily
12-07-2005, 04:13 PM
This is so simple it is almost sinful! Make up mac n cheese - yep Kraft kind. But sausage into bite size pieces, toss in with mac n cheese. You can even make it a one dish dinner by adding cut up frozen broccoli. If you're really in a hurry zap the sausage and or broccoli in microwave before mixing. Otherwise mix it in, place in casserole and bake for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I sprinkle shred cheese over the top or potato chips (crushed).

Deb

loisg1
12-07-2005, 05:16 PM
If you'd like something simple on top of the stove, cut up the sausage in 1-2" pieces and saute in the frying pan. As that starts to cook, chop up some onion slices and mix that in. Then cut strips of red, green, and orange peppers for color and cook it all together making sure that the peppers aren't mushy. Enjoy!

inky dinky doo
12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I like to cut it in 1-2" pieces and cook it with sauerkraut!

tinknme
12-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I slice it & put it in my slow cooker with diced potates & geen beans. Nice & simple but my family loves it & the sausage gives the green beans a wonderful flavor.

cheerbop
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Let's see...
we use it in spaghetti--(people love this!!!).....
In a stir fry type with peppers onions mushrooms, broccoli, carrots over rice...
On a sandwich/hoagie roll with onions mushrooms, mozzarella and mayo and mustard....
Also, over buttered egg noodles with parmesan cheese on top.......

I'll let you know if I think of anyhting else

inky dinky doo
12-08-2005, 04:08 AM
I almost forgot. Here's another recipe I use sometimes (along with the notes that came with it). It's really good. Enjoy!

Silag

One of my favorite standby recipes. I got it out of the Midwest Living Magazine. They had an article on recipes that firemen made so I tried it and it has become one of my favorites.

Brown 1# of ground beef with onions and green peppers (I use red peppers instead) and some salt and pepper. Add 8 oz. of sliced smoked sausage (I use more than 8 oz.). Stir in bag of frozen corn and diced potatoes. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn. When the potatoes look brown and cooked it is ready to eat.

The original recipe called for putting shredded cheddar cheese over the top just before it was done so it could melt but I forgot to do it so I just eliminate the cheese. I hope you try it. I always make a little more because my husband likes to take the leftovers in his lunch. It microwaves great.

cajunmommy
12-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Jambalaya!

You should be able to find one of the seasoning mixes in your local grocery store on the rice / pasta aisle (Zatarains, Tony Chachere's, Louisiana Fish Fry all make good ones).

Just dice or slice the sausage into bite size pieces, brown it off, combine it with some pre-cooked bite-size chicken and follow the directions on the box. Easy!

If you're feeling more ambitious, try searching for a recipe from either Emeril or Chef John Folse via the net.

Rex Rules
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
I use smoked sausage on the grill too, but also like it cut up and fried with breakfast or in cabbage or with red beans and rice! Yum!

pppiglet
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I have a recipe called Hoppin John that uses rice and black eyed peas. It is so good!

Disneyaholic
12-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I used to make a great Slovak recipe all the time...

Saute the sausage (with a little bacon and/or ham if you have it available) and some sliced onion. Add some slightly beaten eggs and cook together to make a great dish that can be eaten at any time of day!

:teeth:

robinb
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
If you'd like something simple on top of the stove, cut up the sausage in 1-2" pieces and saute in the frying pan. As that starts to cook, chop up some onion slices and mix that in. Then cut strips of red, green, and orange peppers for color and cook it all together making sure that the peppers aren't mushy. Enjoy!

I also throw in some chopped tomatoes and garlic. If you don't mind the carbs, this is great over a quick polenta (corn meal, salt, water, parm cheese) or pasta. We (low carbers) eat it plain or over spaghetti squash.