PDA

View Full Version : ebay sellers vent

challada
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Since I don't sell on ebay (just buy and buy, LOL), can anyone explain to me why sellers no longer contact buyers about their purchases? In the last 10 things I've bought on ebay, I think I have gotten one email from the seller. Usually, I paypal money right away and then just hope that something shows up at my door eventually. In the olden days of ebay, it seemed like I would get an email from the seller saying "thanks for winning my auction" then another saying "I've shipped your stuff".
For example, beginning of last week I won a buy it now on an American Girl, sent the money right away...well, here we are a week and a half later and I don't have a clue if the seller has sent the item or not (it's a Christmas gift...would be nice to know if I'll get it before Christmas). Just a quick note that says "got your payment, so I sent your package by USPS, UPS, FedEX, Covered Wagon, Slow Boat to China, etc" would be much appreciated!

ohiominnie
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I hear ya. I had the same thing happen with something recently. Also a Christmas present. I sent the Paypal money immediately and asked in the comment section if they could tell me when it shipped. Finally enough time went by that I emailed them and asked if it had shipped and/or when so I knew to be watching for it. I got home that day and it was on my doorstep. There was NO communication from the seller except to give me my invoice (which gave me a $1 discount on shipping b/c I ordered two items---full shipping + full shipping - $1)

That is why *I* try to go a step above and beyond for my buyers. Because I know how frustrating that is. In fact, I'm off to the post office now and I'll come home to send shipping information and tracking numbers. :) It does take a little extra time, but I'm not selling 1000's of things a month either.

etwinchester
12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Can't speak for other sellers but I always send emails regarding receiving payment, item has shipped, etc. I order on ebay as well and it seems that they only use ebay features now so it's easier for them.

Guess I'm old fashion. Hope you get your American Girl in time. I ordered Marisol for my DD from the website and can't wait to see her.

DisneyKidds
12-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I usually receive some sort of communication from the seller. If I don't I send an email to them, but that has only been necessary once out of the last 10 or so items I purchased.

rae662000
12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I think it is part of a smooth transaction to say "I'm shipping today, thanks again for your business". It doesn't require much more time and ebay/paypal make it so easy to do, plus it keeps down confusion, everyone is clear on what is happening. Not to mention I have seen enough cases on court tv shows where emails always made the difference especially on the sellers end. I think a lot of sellers are just about the quick buck, and don't care about the quality of the transaction....who wants to do business with someone who just does not care. Not me, it matters

tarheelmjfan
12-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I've had total opposite experiences on my last 2 orders. I ordered something for my nieces wedding over a week ago. All I've gotten from the seller (a large ebay store) is numerous requests to make a payment. :bitelip: I paid the same day, & have already received positive feedback from them for fast payment. I finally called them a couple days ago, but of course their ebay rep. wasn't in the office. They still haven't returned my call. I'm getting concerned I won't get it in time. On the other hand, I placed an order for a Christmas gift yesterday. I asked the seller a question & she got back to me within the hour. After I made the purchase, she sent an email saying she would ship it out right away. It shipped out yesterday. :cheer2:

~Kathie
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Not only do I sell, I buy a LOT on ebay too.

If the seller generates the label through PayPal, Paypal can automatically send an email to the bidder with the tracking information. It depends if the seller has that option in their preferences and the buyer has the option to receive in their preferences. You can check your preferences in the profile tab on PayPal.

Sellers with a store have a function called SELLING Manager, where they can send buyers emails right through ebay. Ebay provides templates with sample emails already composed.......it even has the auction details included.

It is annoying when sellers don't communicate. There is no excuse for it. If I find a seller is non responsive, I'll take my business elsewhere. I had one seller such as the poster above who never confirmed payment or shipping. It took 3 weeks to send my item with nothing in the auction about any delay in shipping. :confused3

There are plenty of sellers out there who will appreciate my business.

DisneyGirl4188
12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I am new to selling and I send an email to thank the buyers and to let them know that the item has shipped. Most companies send an email letting me know when an item has shipped, so I think I should provide the same service.

summerrluvv
12-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Some of you that say you don't get an email, it's possible that your seller is in fact sending one, you just aren't getting it. A lot of emails end up in spam folders (I know this happens A LOT on AOL and Yahoo).

GillieRose
12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I probably send way to many emails. I send one to Thank them for there quick payment and to let them know when I will mail it out. Then I send one with the tracking number and to let them know it's been sent

Ilovestitch
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
It's too time consuming to send emails out to every person that pays IMHO. I just use the paypal labels that automatically send the buyer an email stating their item was shipped and gives them a tracking number.

ohiominnie
12-07-2005, 06:24 PM
It's too time consuming to send emails out to every person that pays IMHO. I just use the paypal labels that automatically send the buyer an email stating their item was shipped and gives them a tracking number.

I don't have a problem with that. It at least acknowledges that you've received payment and are doing something about getting the item to me. :) It's when you don't hear ANYTHING. Especially if you email and ask a question (like when did it ship?) and still don't hear anything!

challada
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I don't have a problem with that. It at least acknowledges that you've received payment and are doing something about getting the item to me. :) It's when you don't hear ANYTHING. Especially if you email and ask a question (like when did it ship?) and still don't hear anything!

THAT is exactly my point! Of the last 10 things I've bought, I have only received one of these email message saying it shipped/got your payment that was paypal generated, while the rest just ship stuff.

For example, I bought a Girl Scout book and paid immediately, never heard anything, never heard anything...finally I emailed seller saying "hey, about when did you ship this book so I can know when to expect it", I got back a hasty "that went out weeks ago"...when I emailed her back that I didn't get it, she got all nasty w/me saying she would send another book and why was I being so mean to ASK her about tracking the original package...huh?

And, yes, I even check my SPAM folder every day to see if it accidently went there...and nothing either.

kilee
12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
When I have 70 auctions ending each week I cannot email each person every step of the way. I used to back in the day too. That was when I used to do 20 auctions a month. However, I just can't dedicate full-time to ebay. I put right in my auctions that if you don't receive your items in 10 days please email me. I am very limited in giving shipping info before 10 days though. I feel that 10 days is very adequate. I ship the items fast enough that they should be there well before that mark. I, myself, wait 2 weeks to the day to ask anyone I buy from.
Other than that I am one of those that doesn't contact my buyers. If they email me questions during the process of selling, paying, shipping-- I am more than happy to answer. However, if I get things like-- please let me know you received this and what date you ship in the paypal comments and such- I don't respond. It is just too time consuming.
Just wanted to give you the other perspective on why you might not be getting your emails. I don't sell American Girl items- so I'm not your seller thankfully..... ;)

amp078
12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I always respond to the email from paypal thanking the buyer for their purchase and letting them know when it will be shipped. I don't provide tracking numbers unless they specifically ask for them or there is a problem and the item doesn't arrive.

I hardly ever hear from people I buy from- once in awhile I will get an email from USPS telling me that the item will be shipped but hardly anything from the actual seller.

Doede95
12-07-2005, 10:31 PM
I am one of those PowerSellers that does not send a shipping notification. I am always running a ton of auctions. I do respond to any emails right away. I really have not had any problems(100% feedback) as I always ship Priority within 48 hours. I also throw in extra's quite often. I used to send email shipping notifications when I had less auctions running. I will try to get better with that. It is always good to hear ways that you can improve. :earsboy: