PDA

View Full Version : freezer recipes??

Kaelyn
12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
i am due to give birth in a week and a half for the first time!! ahhh!! now that the nursery is in order and my hospital bag is packed, i want to spend this week and weekend cooking things that i can put in the freezer and then reheat for my husband and myself during those first few weeks. so far i am planning spaghetti sauce (my own) with meatballs and corn chowder. my grandmother is making us some stew and already gave me an uncooked french meat pie. what are some other foods that can be cooked in quantity and then frozen in small serving containers that reheat well? what i wouldn't give for a bigger freezer!

piratesmate
12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't do much of this...but how about Lasagna? You can make it without cooking the noodles first & then freeze to just re-heat.
Or:
Meatloaf
Macaroni & cheese
Lentil, split pea or vegetable beef soup
chili
Barbeque/Sloppy Joe's

If you roast a chicken & have left-overs you could turn it into a meat pie...I'd skip the potatoes though. I've never liked the way they freeze. But I make it with mixed veggies in the bottom, layer on some meat, then canned potatoes (they're easiest), pour a jar of chicken gravy over it & slap a Pillsbury pie crust over it. I'd wait to cook this though until you want to eat it. Otherwise the crust would get mushy I think.

For some lunches you could pre-cook some boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot. Then shred the meat & pack in meal-sized packages. I use this a lot, but it only takes a couple seconds to turn into chicken salad for your lunch this way. (Most of the other ways I use this I wouldn't freeze.)

How exciting! I remember waiting for my two to be born. What a joyous time! :teeth: Good luck!

clh2
12-07-2005, 12:16 AM
The recipes on this thread might interest you...but the concept is a little different as these meals are assembled, frozen, then thawed and cooked. They are ideal for your situation!

click here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=732493&page=1&pp=15&highlight=chicken+dump)

Good luck with your baby!

True North
12-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Try searching for OAMC websites. It stand for "cnce a month cooking". There are a lot of people that cook only once a month and live out of their freezer. While I don't do it, I like the recipies to stock my own freezer. I have done Jamacain Patties, calzones, lasagna, hamburgers, wontons and a few other things.

True North
12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
haha! Sorry, I didn't realize the person ahead of my beat me too that tip! And they spelt "once" right. Damn it! :)

the kabuki
12-07-2005, 12:23 AM
BBQ ribs-bake them in 220 oven in roasting pan covering with water,seasonings, beef broth for a few hours. No BBQ sauce. Then when ready to cook, throw on the grill to heat and add sauce.

Katy Belle
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Buy ground beef in large quantity and brown it and put taco seasoning in it. Then freeze in "dinner" size portions. You could do loaded nachos, tacos, taco salad, etc. with it. I also brown the ground meat with onions and seasonings, freeze, then pull out for all kinds of recipes, hamburger helper, etc. Have cans of tuna, cr. mushroom soup, and egg noodles ready to go for tuna and noodles, fast.

Congrats on your baby!
Katy :sunny: