PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Evolt E-500

garris3404
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Any opinions on this camera? Camera is 8 MP and lens factor is 2.0. Kit comes with Zuiko digital lenses (14-45 and 40-150).

pyrxtc
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I ahve an opinion! It is my next camera, as soon as I get the money, it's mine! Everything I've read or seen so far makes me see that this is one of the better cameras out there. Olympus makes the best digital camera on the market. I ahve mostly Olympus cameras and have never been disappointed with them. It is definately worth the money. the cheapest i have seen it yet is at I REMOVED THIS LINK. iT IS A SCAM SHOP. dON nOT bUY fROM hERE! i am thinking of getting mine from best buy though since I've never bought from best price befoe and I find their shipping a little high. Plus, I can pick up the camera from the store maybe?

if you think it's for you, visit the Olympus website and play with it, you'll know it's for you after that.

www.Olympus.com (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192)

garris3404
12-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Any body else have an opinion? :confused3

pyrxtc
12-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I think this camera is too new for a lot of opinions. you can doa web search on feedbcak or reviews for this camera. They are all good.

YEKCIM
12-08-2005, 05:12 AM
You may want to read reviews posted at one or both of these sites:

www.dpreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com

www.pricegrabber.com is a good place to start in comparing online retailers' prices, and to be sure you are dealing with someone reputable, go to www.resellerratings.com.

~YEKCIM

Mickee
01-18-2006, 06:11 AM
I too am interested in this camera, anyone have a recent review?

Thank You !

ndelaware
01-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I too am interested in this camera, anyone have a recent review?

Thank You !
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

Mickee
01-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Thx Ndelaware, How are things at the Deer Park, Klondikes?
I too am a fellow Delawarean, Down in Middletown!

I was searching for any personal reviews, this week I think I read every online review there was but was looking for any onhand personal reports.

Thank you !

Charade
01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I was searching for any personal reviews, this week I think I read every online review there was but was looking for any onhand personal reports.

Thank you !

Try here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022

Kelly Grannell
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Things I don't like from this camera:

1. 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the de-facto standard 3:2 for dSLR
2. lack of choice in lenses
3. no walkaround superzoom available (that I know of). Nikon has 18-200 zoom with Vibration Reduction, Canon/Pentax/Samsung has 18-200 zoom (made by Sigma and Tamron)
4. poor/hunting low-light auto-focus performance (this is from personal experience comparing Canon Rebel, Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Nikon D70, Olympus E300, Olympus E500, Pentax ist*DL)
5. Unuseable ISO beyond 400 (in fact ISO 400 on the E500 is worse than ISO 1600 on the 2 year-old Rebel, also ISO1600 on Rebel XT is actually rated at ISO2000 !!!)

ndelaware
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Thx Ndelaware, How are things at the Deer Park, Klondikes?
I too am a fellow Delawarean, Down in Middletown!

Thank you !
Sorry Mickee, I haven't seen this camera in person. Have you tried going to Cameras Etc. in Newark? If they have it, it at least you can get a chance to check it out and takes some shots.

I am in Glascow, but we are moving to Middletown in eary fall this year.

donaldduck1967
01-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Things I don't like from this camera:

3. no walkaround superzoom available (that I know of). Nikon has 18-200 zoom with Vibration Reduction, Canon/Pentax/Samsung has 18-200 zoom (made by Sigma and Tamron)

They already have a 50-200mm lens out and are coming out with 18-200mm very soon.

I got the camera for christmas and so far I am very happy with it. I havent had any poor auto focus issues in low light. I have never tried any other dslr's so I can't compare them but on my camera I think the low light focus is fast.

Kelly Grannell
01-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Congrats, donaldduck 1967.

Bottom line is, for every input, treat them no more than just an input. Try testing the cameras yourself and decide for yourself what you like (or don't like).

The way I buy a camera is as follows:

1. Read reviews
2. Ask for inputs
3. Try the cameras
4. If there is any doubt, buy the CHEAPEST one and learn what I need / don't need from that camera
5. If need be, buy another camera from my own personal experience.

Mickee
01-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Thank You For your Info.

blackjackdelta
02-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I just picked up this thread, I also have been looking at either the Canon XT or the Oly evolt 500. I also am on a budget, not that I can not spend the xtra bucks for the Canon if I could find a reason to do so. I have read every review known to mankind and still can not pull the trigger.
Many times the opinion comes down to that Canon has more lenses!!
I do not use high ISO a lot but would like to have the capability when needed. The build needs to be reliable because I usually work in a harsh enviroment but it also needs to be light weight. 300mm plus lens is important along with keeping the dust off the sensor. The XT is an older platform..what will come next from Canon??

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, and have a great day.

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
1. For harsh environment, neither will solve your problem.
2. You may say you don't use lots of high ISO until you find the convenience and beauty of high ISO. Just like meth, once you use it, you're hooked for life. I started with ISO800 (during film era), and then to ISO1000, then ISO1200, with digital I moved to ISO1600, and now I'm hooked with ISO3200.
3. Wait until the end of February to see what's next from Canon.
4. You go see a sporting event, and count how many white zoom lenses there. Those are all Canon.
5. Evolt, by using non-standard 4:3 framing, there are hardly any lens that suits my need.
6. Dust problem? what dust problem? Any dSLR I own, I've only cleaned the dust twice a year, and that's just because I'm too analytical.

Anewman
02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
IMO

THE GOOD
Price
2x crop factor, for sports or other areas where reach is important.
good name, Oly is great.
Easy to cover a big focal range with two lenses.
Huge improvement over the E-300

THE BAD
High ISO noise levels, expected with a small sensor.
2x crop factor, for landscapes and other areas where WIDE is important. I mean even the kit lens listed as 14-45mm becomes 28-90mm, try taking an indoor group picture with that.
Lack of lens choices, especially wide and fast.

Bottom Line
Good value if the camera fits your shooting style, which is great reach in well lit areas. For primarily indoor use the other 3(pentax, Nikon and Canon) are all better choices, but for outdoor value I would rank it near the top Potential wise. Indoor/Nighttime sports are almost impossible with this do to the lack of fast lenses and terrible high ISO noise. Outdoor DAY sports are very doable in the right hands. I think the DustShaker thing is over rated. If you are not planning on getting any additional lenses the two in the kit you mention will be fine and this is great.

blackjackdelta
02-16-2006, 07:04 PM
What I want is an all around good camera that will let me take pic's, ie inside POTC and that type of light level with out all of the noise. I have been shooting since the early 60's and normally use a medium format camera. I have a PS pocket cam for the little family things. When we return to DLR in June I wanted to have a decent DSLR for some reasonable digital pics without sucking my wallet dry.

What don't you like about the XT..thanks for your honest input.

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-16-2006, 07:25 PM

This is from a Canon lover and all my answers are SUBJECTIVE

1. Size: far too small. I have no option but to always use the battery/vertical grip if I want to use this camera

2. The textured finish. Easy to trap dust but not as easy to clean (something that's easy to do on a non/less-textured finish on an Olympus E-Volt, Canon 20D, Nikon D50)

3. Uses even MORE proprietary battery than other Canon dSLR (300D, 10D, 20D, 5D, 1D, 1Ds etc all use BP-511 battery, 350D/XT uses something completely different. Quite a PITA for users like me who own several other Canon dSLR)

Anewman
02-16-2006, 08:48 PM

1. unrated(plastic?) shutter.
2. Feel
3. speed and buffer size(decent but I need more).
4. viewfinder
5. flash sync speed is worst in class.

But I still chose it for my 13 year old, he saved up for it.

Kelly Grannell
02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Anewman,

I don't know much about the XT (other than my initial tests before buying it -- and opted not to --, but if dRebel shutter is any indication, so far I've taken 12,400+ shots and it still works. Also as far as flash sync goes, I think Canon in general sucks (they are all approx 1/200 max).

As far as startup speed, I don't think it can go any faster. Focusing speed, of course it depends mostly on the lens (if you use USM lens it'll be much faster).

Yes, I forgot to add. XT's viewfinder is too small and dim.

blackjackdelta
02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
So Anewman, what do you shoot? What would you recommend for an oldman.

Thanks,

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
What would you recommend for an oldman.

Thanks,

Jack pirate:

A Hassel with 22MP digital back. Nothing beats that! :thumbsup2

Anewman
02-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Anewman,

I don't know much about the XT (other than my initial tests before buying it -- and opted not to --, but if dRebel shutter is any indication, so far I've taken 12,400+ shots and it still works. Also as far as flash sync goes, I think Canon in general sucks (they are all approx 1/200 max).

As far as startup speed, I don't think it can go any faster. Focusing speed, of course it depends mostly on the lens (if you use USM lens it'll be much faster).

Yes, I forgot to add. XT's viewfinder is too small and dim.

Shutter have been known to fail on the 300D anywhere from 10k-35k snaps, xt should expect about the same(IMO). And I have a friend that has over 60k snaps on his, but there is a camera with features I need and has a shutter rated for 100k snaps...
thread at dpreview (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=9624488)

Speed to me equals. FPS/FOCUS/WRITE. Agian decent but I was looking for a 20D backup and could not downgrade to for it. I compared with my sons XT and chose to buy another 20D.

Anewman
02-16-2006, 10:10 PM
So Anewman, what do you shoot? What would you recommend for an oldman.

Thanks,

Jack pirate:

I Shoot the Canon 20D but IF I had to buy TODAY it would be the Nikon d200 or wait till Canon announces the 20D replacement.

For the kind of shooting you describe above I would consider the XT and the $70 50mm 1.8 lens.

blackjackdelta
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I like the Hass with the dgi back, but alas I do not have the back. Just picked this up on Phil's site, just for fun. I stopped reading this stuff long ago because of the ads.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=17199163

Jack pirate:

ndelaware
02-16-2006, 11:45 PM
From the conclusion of the reviewof the E-500 @ dpreview:

"Image quality is on the whole very good, resolution essentially as good as the EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT), although perhaps not as per-pixel crisp, and an Olympus-like contrasty tone / vivid color look to images. My only disappointments are with the way the cameras image pipeline deals with highlights which can look 'hard clipped', the over-processed looking sharpening and noise at ISO 1600. The E-500 still has (essentially) the same sensor as the E-300 and despite improved noise reduction it's still no match for Canon's excellent CMOS sensor at higher sensitivities (above ISO 400). Hence if you find yourself shooting a lot of ISO 800 and 1600 images you may wish to think harder about the Canon offerings. Other negatives include the small viewfinder which can make it difficult to visualize focus distance, and the not-so-instant-startup (1.7 sec power on)."

Review is here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

blackjackdelta
02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Ok guys and gals you have convinced me to get the 350D, now for a couple more questions.

What speed (xnumber) cf card should I get to have a reasonable write speed? Manufacture?

Also would like to get ~70-300mm lens with AF(does not need to be fancy, but would like Canon or eq). Filters, lens hood spare bat and case.

Thanks again for your help. I am going to wait until PMA is over just to see what shakes out.

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-17-2006, 09:52 PM
My personal suggestion:

1 Sandisk Ultra II should suffice. Anything faster than that is moot on that camera. I've used Lexar, PQI, Kingston and SanDisk. Based on my personal experience, SanDisk is the most reliable with PQI being the worst (Kingston is as good but to get the same speed, you'll need to pay more... and I'm cheap)

2. I highly recommend Canon 70-300 f/5.6 IS. A Hoya HMC filter should be enough, no need to go to HMC Pro

Again, the above are based on my personal experience (especially number 2)

But wait for PMA, supposedly there will be either:

18-55 f/2.8 IS (but will be costly as hell)
or
18-200 f/5.6 IS (around $800, well worth the price, IMHO considering the IS feature)

blackjackdelta
02-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Kelly:
Next question is where to buy. I am also inexpensive minded and the place needs to be able to ship international. I was looking on ebay and there is a place called Cameta that has better prices than most(Compared to B and H or Buydig) Any suggestions there?

Thanks again,

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
For camera body, I go to my B&M store. For the lens, depending on the price, I go to B+H. Only for accessories I go to eBay. Sorry, can't help further.

blackjackdelta
02-19-2006, 11:17 AM
There are no B and M's over here. So I need that international shipping. Thanks again for patience.

Jack pirate:

Kelly Grannell
02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
The only place I can wholeheartedly suggest is, then, http://www.bhphotovideo.com

dogriverrat
02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
My husband bought me this camera for Christmas. I don't know alot about it yet, but so far so good. I have had fun with it. Can't wait until June to go back to Disney and try to get some good pictures. I have got some great tips off this board.

Callalily6
02-24-2006, 05:18 PM
THIS CAMERA ROCKS! Its our backup camera and it is really great - plus you can't beat the price - lenses are freakin expensive! We are going to WDW soooo soon - this will be the 1st trip with camera. I'll post some pics when we get back. In the mean time we have a bunch of photos up online: Belle's Photography (http://www.bellesphotography.com)

2 BIG :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 for this DSLR

------

Okay, obviously my wife loves this camera! With good reason, too. But, I've just gotta chime in. Unless you have a pretty good understanding of photography a dSLR isn't going to make much difference to you. But, if you're starting out - this is a great camera for you. The price is incredible, and it will be a long time before your abilty is limited by the camera's limitations. The E-500 is a fine camera at a great price. Be sure to read the review at dpreview.com. Heck, even if you've been shooting for a long time, this is a great camera.

blackjackdelta
02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I have been shooting film since the late 50's and now everyone I know has gone to mostly digital. When I get back I want to start doing some digital work(already has a small PS camera), before I invest in a H2D I want to learn the craft well including CS2.
I lurk on a number of boards and try to glean info and hate to spend hard earned $$$ on a camera and lenses that will not work to get me started and work my way up.
Kelly G has been very helpful along with others. Thanks for all the input.

Jack pirate:

ColoradoDis
09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
I just started look in at the E-500 yesterday. It looks like a good deal with the 2-lense kit.

Anyone use it for high school sports inside a gym? My daughter plays folleyball and I'm anxious to get some good shots.

jk120
09-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I would go with the E-500 over either the canon or nikon offerings simply because of the overall picture quality, you need to do very little post processing of the pictures.

I personally shoot with the Olympus E-1. I owned the E-1 first sold it moved to the nikon D100 then onto the Canon 20D to sell both and go back to the E-1. I found that after photographing a wedding with nikon or canon I had a good 20-30 hours of post processing the pics for them to meet my standards, whereas with the Olympus cameras, both the E-1 and E-500 that my assistant shoots I generally spend 2-3 hours.

As for the lens selection the E-500 kit comes with the following lenses
14-45 equal to a 28-90mm
40-150 equal to a 80-300mm

They also offer the better grade of lenses
14-54 equal to a 28-108mm
50-200 equal to a 100-400mm

The only stumbling point of the olympus cameras is low light photography, but can be easily be handled by noise ninja.

You would be sorry by purchasing the olympus cameras.

Jeff

pyrxtc
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Wonderful camera! Can get a great picture and easy to use.!

ColoradoDis
09-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to order it tonight.

Carolc
09-05-2006, 11:32 PM
You would be sorry by purchasing the olympus cameras.
Jeff

Jeff, do you mean "would NOT be sorry..."?

I don't know anything about the 500, but I bought the EVOLT E-300 back in April, and am happy with it. I am new to the SLR world, and was afraid to invest too much just in case I realized it was not for me. So, I opted for Olympus, as I was able to purchase the body and two lenses at a much more affordable price ($629 thru Dell) than Canon or Nikon. Since then, the D50 and Rebel XT have dropped in price - those are both very excellent cameras, too, and have more lenses available. I guess it's really up to you to determine your wants (current and future). What helped me was going to www.pbase.com and doing a search on models... it helps to see what other people have done with the cameras.

Whatever you get, please be sure to post some shots so we can see!

Good luck... :wave:
Carol

pyrxtc
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Whatever you get, please be sure to post some shots so we can see!

Good luck... :wave:
Carol

but what shots we get are based on the photographers skills, not the camera itself.

jk120
09-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Good catch there.... your right I ment to say you wont be sorry with a purchase of an Olympus camera

donaldduck1967
09-07-2006, 05:38 AM
I've had the E-500 for a few months now and it's a wonderful camera. From what i've read everyone says the kit lens are the best kit lens' available. The 40-150 is a little sharper then the 14-45.

pyrxtc
09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Don't forget to go online and upgrade your lenses and camera with their new info!!

ColoradoDis
09-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to get the firmware updates.

Now the waiting begins!