PDA

View Full Version : Cat b-day party theme ideas?

PaulaSue
12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I need crafty ideas. My middle DD is really into cats and wants a kitty party, in Jan. I am stumped as what to do. We do home parties on a tight budget. I love doing crafty stuff and my girls do to.

So far online I have seen Hello Kitty and one other cat with a party theme paper supplies. I all ready did Hello Kitty theme for 3rd DD 1st b-day but it was a family party with no games, etc.

I also have found a cat shaped cake idea but I'm not impressed. For Ash I did cupcakes with a Hello Kitty on top and sprinkles.

Any thoughts on games or snacky type food to go with the cat theme? I have a ton of goodie bag stuff I can use thanks to Target $ spot clearence. I also saw a cute cat theme key chain that you put the child's picture in so I might splurge on that for the goodie bags.

Also does anyone know where to get the cat ear headbands? I have found them online for $2.50 and up but that is too much for the 10 or so kids I want to get them for.

TIA!!!

Sandcass
12-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I would make the party like the little girls ARE cats. Make games that cats play, food that cats eat, party favors that are like cat treats, etc.

Games could be like batting wadded up paper thru an obstacle course. Playing with balls of yarn (first one to unravel their ball contest?)

The cake could be shaped like a fish? Or just cupcakes with gummy fish on it.

Snacks could be cheese, fish crackers, gummy mice ? The girls could eat down on the floor out of bowls.

Party favor could be some kind of choker necklace like a cat collar.

I almost never buy theme party goods. You can save so much money just picking plain colored plates & stuff at the Dollar store. Maybe for a cat party, just black & white ?

These are just off the top of my head, you also didn't mention the age of your birthday girl, so I don't know if this are good ideas or not.

GOOD LUCK !

mommytotwo
12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Other cartoon cats are Sagwa, and Garfield.

You could make tuna sandwiches in the shape of fishes. Just cut out the bread with a fish cookie cutter and fill with tuna fish.

cwnhokie
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
When i first looked at the title i thought you were looking for theme ideas for a birthday party for your cat. Sorry, I haven't had a lot of sleep lately. Actually, I do have a few. A friend of mine order a bunch of caps from oriental trading and decorated them to look like dogs, you could probably do the same for a cat. Also there is a recipe for a kitty litter cake, I couldn't bring myself to eat it though, it was too realistic.

kat3668
12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Kitty littter cake :rotfl:

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 white cake mix
2 large pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared (I like Bird'sŪ dessert mix)
1 large pkg vanilla sandwich cookies
green food coloring
12 small Tootsie RollsŪ

1 new kitty litter pan
1 new plastic kitty litter pan liner
1 new pooper scooper

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.

Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.

Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!

Further notes: I had a reader write in saying this recipe only needed half the amount of pudding. I personally liked the cake with the amount given in this recipe. But feel free to use this as a loose guideline, use more or less as you see the need. Also, since the layer of cookies (with the chloropyll green specks, covers the top, you could really use any flavor or flavors or cakes underneath. Last but not least, you can also opt not to crumble the cakes, but rather layer them in the pan with the layers of pudding in between (much like you would layer a trifle into a trifle dish), sprinkle the top layer of pudding with a heavy layer of crumbled cookies. Same effect, different texture entirely to the dessert.

kat3668
12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Here are some cute crafts and such

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=48/2446&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=2&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=48/2211&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=0&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=70/2101&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=11&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

PaulaSue
12-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Here are some cute crafts and such

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=48/2446&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=2&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=48/2211&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=0&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=70/2101&mode=Searching&searchDestinationJSP=/search/searchMain.jsp&erec=11&D=cat&No=12&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntt=cat&N=0&y=9&x=3&Ntk=all

I found those last night and the key chains with places for kids faces. :)

I also saw the kitty cake and about threw up, sorry no go there. I think my friends would dis-own me if I tried to serve that to their 5 year olds too.

Lyndarella
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
That kitty litter cake is hilarious! I don't think I could serve or eat it that way...

You ladies are incredible with your ideas! I wish I'd know you when my kids were little!