PDA

View Full Version : Anyone managed to get Simons 2006 Brits guide yet?

eyoreaud
12-02-2005, 07:55 AM
If you have, do you mind me asking where you bought iy/ I'm going away in a couple of days time and was hoping to get it before we go so Amazon's not an option :)

Thanx, Audrey :)

VSL
12-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, I think Amazon have it as 'dispatches inb 3-4 weeks'.

I ordered it on Play and still hasn't been dispatched, so I think I will be cancelling my order if it doesn't get dispatched sometime today.

Haven't seen it in any shops.

Deedee
12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
waterstones haven't had it in yet

mikki.young
12-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Just seen it in Waterstones at Wimbledon!

SimonV
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
No, I haven't seen it yet, either :rolleyes: But I'm assured it is in the distribution chain, so it should be getting to the bookshelves soon!

Cyrano
12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Hoping to get it for Christmas from MIL. Left my Amazon wishlist there after last Sunday's family dinner.

Well I actually left 4 copies :teeth: ;)

eyoreaud
12-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Hoping to get it for Christmas from MIL. Left my Amazon wishlist there after last Sunday's family dinner.

:rotfl:

Thankyou for the info everyone, much appreciated.

Audrey ::MinnieMo

KayleeUK
12-03-2005, 05:06 AM

Reid...I hope you don't end up with socks and hankies ;)

Minniespal
12-03-2005, 06:17 AM

:teeth:

cannp123165
12-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Ooohhhh.....I should get it for my trip next year. I have the DLP one and it is very good. :-)))).

spookysarah
12-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Hiya, I was in Waterstone's on Friday trying to order a copy of the book for a Christmas present but the guy at the enquiries desk checked his computer and said the date they were given for availability is February 2006 - can I get it anywhere else before then or is this the new release date?

Many thanks, Sarah

Miffy2003
12-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Hi Spookysarah - Simon Veness posted above

I'm assured it is in the distribution chain, so it should be getting to the bookshelves soon!

Which is information right from the horse's mouth :) so hopefully very soon!

(Sorry to call you a horse, Simon :teeth: )

magentadreamer
12-04-2005, 04:39 AM
Amazon did say I'd get a copy by the end of this month, I decided to cancel and re order so I could get the other two books I wanted.

JohnnySharp2
12-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Simon's book shows delivery of 2-3 weeks on Amazon.

magentadreamer
12-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Mine should be delievered by 28th December according to Amazon's tracking thingy.

kizzy212
12-04-2005, 11:03 AM
asked in waterstone in merry hill and they says monday...... yip pee :banana:

JohnnySharp2
12-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I have the 2005 edition - just wondering whether I need to buy the updated version.

Cyrano
12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Reid...I hope you don't end up with socks and hankies ;)
Please tell me Amazon haven't started selling these as well :rotfl2:

SimonV
12-04-2005, 08:13 PM
The date of Feb 2006 will be for the new edition of DLP; Orlando 2006 should be in bookshops imminently. And I think it will be worth getting Johnny as we have revamped quite a few chapters (notably Hotels, Dining Out and Shopping) and added a couple of new features, as well as adding some new photography. It is also the first edition to jointly feature my DW as co-author, after years of being the humble researcher!!

JohnnySharp2
12-05-2005, 12:51 AM
The date of Feb 2006 will be for the new edition of DLP; Orlando 2006 should be in bookshops imminently. And I think it will be worth getting Johnny as we have revamped quite a few chapters (notably Hotels, Dining Out and Shopping) and added a couple of new features, as well as adding some new photography. It is also the first edition to jointly feature my DW as co-author, after years of being the humble researcher!!

Thanks Simon, I will buy the 2006 then - I am not in any hurry as we do not go till August so I will order from Amazon :)

jtlover
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I enjoy getting the new books - I keep sending dh into waterstones and whsmith every lunchtime to check whether it is in! :rotfl:

Shropshire Saint
12-06-2005, 05:00 AM
I got it yesterday in Waterstones.

Deedee
12-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi Kizzy i keep asking waterstones in merry hill and they keep telling me different days don't think they know for sure we will have to keep trying. i will let you know if i hear any thing will you do the same please

sandshal
12-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Going into Norwich city centre this afternoon guys - I'll troll all the book shops and keep you posted.

Sharon

SimonV
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi again folks. The latest word I have is that there was a shipment flown over specifically for WH Smith last week so they can fulfill many of their orders (i think if you got one from Waterstones, that was quite unusual and they must have hi-jacked a supply destined for Smith's!). The rest of the supply will be coming in by regular freight next week, and should be in all retail outlets by Dec 17. The big problem has been that, as we print in Malaysia, it obviously takes a long time to get bulk supplies into the UK, and we had various hold-ups with the process this year which really slowed us down. Hopefully, everyone will get their copy eventually!

Netty
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks Simon, I will buy the 2006 then - I am not in any hurry as we do not go till August so I will order from Amazon :)

:teeth: i ordered mine from amazon already :banana: we are not going until August either!

sandshal
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Here are the results from Norwich City Centre:-

Bearing in mind ours are probably delivered by tractor

Waterstones - Nothing
Ottakers - Nothing
WH Smith - Nothing
Jarrolds - Nothing

So hey, ho, hey ho its off to WH Smiths next week we go !!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: ::MickeyMo :moped:

Deedee
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
just got mine from our local whsmith

floridalol
12-09-2005, 04:24 AM

What a good salesman you are, Simon! :teeth:

I still have your first edition, the one with some very un-pc comments in it, edited out of later editions, do you think it's worth selling on eBay?

Seriously, your book is invaluable to both novices and seasoned Florida travellers and I never miss an edition and have every one, keep up the good work!

Lol

Andrea B
12-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Oh My!?! I'm sooooo excited :banana: I have sent one of my work friends to go out and pick mine up from WHSmiths in a little place called Northwich, Cheshire!! Can't wait for her to get back. Am suppose to be going to see "Nania" tonight but might have to put that on hold!! :rotfl:

JohnnySharp2
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Tried everywhere in Blackpool yesterday - no luck.

sandshal
12-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Hurray !!!!!!!!!! The Brits Guide 2006 has arrived at WHS Smith Lowestoft (if we can get it here it must be available anywhere !!!!!!!!) Only trouble is I've got the 2005 edition and I was too mean to pay the 12.99 when I can wait a little longer and get it from play.com at 8.99 - still the money I saved getting attraction tickets direct to price match tickets today will pay for the book. How mean am I ?????????? Not really I just spend the rest somewhere else - you know the saying "Live for Today!"

RachaelAitken
12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi sandshal...was going to PM you today as i also bought mine in Lowestoft yesterday!! and thought youd like to know. Haven't had chance to read any yet though! Rachaelx

JohnnySharp2
12-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Hurray !!!!!!!!!! The Brits Guide 2006 has arrived at WHS Smith Lowestoft (if we can get it here it must be available anywhere !!!!!!!!) Only trouble is I've got the 2005 edition and I was too mean to pay the 12.99 when I can wait a little longer and get it from play.com at 8.99 - still the money I saved getting attraction tickets direct to price match tickets today will pay for the book. How mean am I ?????????? Not really I just spend the rest somewhere else - you know the saying "Live for Today!"

I have ordered from Play.com too for a bargain 8.99 - I too have the 2005 edition and as we do not go till August I am not in any hurry, and saves trying to find somewhere that actually has a copy in stock.

disneyholic family
12-11-2005, 02:49 AM
i've lost my 2005 copy....i had it with us at WDW in July, but haven't seen it since...perhaps i accidentally left it behind...

i guess i'll order the new one from amazon.uk....i've bought other books/movies from them in the past and everything arrived without problem.....

the earliest we'll get to the UK is February...i don't think i could wait until then to buy it...

Claddagh
12-11-2005, 12:44 PM
i've lost my 2005 copy....i had it with us at WDW in July, but haven't seen it since...perhaps i accidentally left it behind...

i guess i'll order the new one from amazon.uk....i've bought other books/movies from them in the past and everything arrived without problem.....

the earliest we'll get to the UK is February...i don't think i could wait until then to buy it...

I ordered my copy from Amazon on 2nd October and I'm still waiting. Currently has estimated delivery date of between 9th and 19th December :bounce: I think I'll check in WH Smith if other people have found it there and cancel the Amazon one. I feel like I can't properly plan my holiday without it!
:wave2:

sandshal
12-11-2005, 01:39 PM
FYI - I checked the Amazon web site before I ordered on play.com and they're now stating the books are unlikely to be delivered for Xmas - although I would think its probably the same at most outlets (other than WH Smiths of course)

pixiepower04
12-12-2005, 04:10 AM
I got mine from WHSmith in Dundee yesterday!

jtlover
12-12-2005, 04:22 AM
I am picking mine up from Smiths in Marlow at lunchtime.

Guessing what I will be reading for the next few days! :cool1:

SimonV
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh, one other new feature that might be worth bearing in mind is that we have included a map showing all the different vacation home developments for the first time, all along Highway 192 in Kissimmee and down US 27. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think any other guidebook does this, so that might be of help to anyone looking for a villa holiday in future :)

magentadreamer
12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
I spotted it in Waterstones on Saturday, unfortunately I've not bought it yet as I suspect my best mate is buying it for me for Xmas.

Kaslee
12-12-2005, 01:23 PM
waterstones in Cardiff has it. Got mine nearly 2 weeks ago so lots of planning to do now

andip1967
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Got mine today, local WhSmith (Blackburn). As someone quoted its the Orlando Bible, I am just up to Psalms (lol).

Tron[ADS]
12-14-2005, 06:23 AM
Spotted the book in WHSmith on monday, but Amazon are still to despatch my 2 copies.
Same thing happened for the last 2 years. Its really annoying to see something on the shelves that I pre-ordered months ago, and I couldnt risk buying them and then canceling my Amazon order because had I done so, you can be sure the Amazon one would have been despatched by the time I got home !

brer rabbit 28
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
i got an email from amazon telling me it won't come until 6th january.I am going to cancel and find it elsewhere-what will i read on boxing day if i don't find a copy :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Queenie
12-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I had a look around Leeds on Thursday and the results were:

Waterstones - 2005 Edition (but had a plaque next to it suggesting it as a reccomended read!)
Borders - 2006 Edition
WH Smiths - 2006 Edition

JohnnySharp2
12-17-2005, 09:12 AM
I ordered mine from Play.com as I haven't been able to find it in any local book stores.
I have checked on their website today but it still shows as out of stock, however, although I paid 8.99 (reduced price) it is now shown as 9.99..anyway hope it will arrive soon.

mrshnn
12-17-2005, 09:44 AM
got mine in waterstones

mark&sue
12-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Are there any coupons in the 2006 edition?

Susan

Tron[ADS]
12-17-2005, 11:38 AM
i got an email from amazon telling me it won't come until 6th january.I am going to cancel and find it elsewhere-what will i read on boxing day if i don't find a copy :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Amazon are a disgrace.
I just got an email telling me :
"For your reference, here is a summary of your order:

2 of Simon Veness "A Brit's Guide to Orlando"
Availability changed: now 4-6 weeks"

Im going to buy it tomorrow from WHSmith, and amazon can get bent.

LJP
12-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Got mine yesterday in WH Smith in Edinburgh.

Netty
12-18-2005, 06:14 AM
']Amazon are a disgrace.
I just got an email telling me :
"For your reference, here is a summary of your order:

2 of Simon Veness "A Brit's Guide to Orlando"
Availability changed: now 4-6 weeks"

Im going to buy it tomorrow from WHSmith, and amazon can get bent.
I just received an email from amazon also telling me the book available in 4-6 weeks. so i have just cancelled it...

Tron[ADS]
12-20-2005, 01:52 AM
I got mine from WHSmith yesterday and canceled my Amazon order....got a bit of a result really, I had ordered 2 copies from Amazon, but it hadnt taken me to enough to qualify for free "super saver delivery", so I had added in a "my first writing" book for my eldest daughter, at about 2.99 to make it qualify.....and then I waited.....after a few weeks, Amazon decided to send me the kids book, with the other 2 Brits Guides to follow....they never took any money, or charged any delivery on it.

So yesterday I went to cancel it, which wasnt amazingly straightforward...when I clicked on the cancel an order screen, it took me to the 2 books, which I ticked and then clicked "cancel order", which then took me to a "change postal method" screen (?????), so I just confirmed it, then got an error message.
Checking back later, it has indeed canceled the Brits Guides (email confirmed it), so I got the kids book for nothing along with free delivery.

That said, the Brits Guide cost me 3 more at WHSmith, so I guess Im even now !

mrs-mac
12-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Also got that email from Amazon, its due in 4-6th January :sad2: but my Hidden Mickeys book is on its way :cool1:

Cyrano
12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Canceled my Amazon order seeing as how it is my Xmas present from MIL.
Got a copy for her from W H Smith today. I'll let her wrap it :teeth:

Night-train
12-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Got mine from Play in this morning's post! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Cochise
12-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Ordered 2 days ago from PLAY when the stock landed. Arrived this morning by DHL Next day. Result !!

One thing confusing me but i havent read the page properly is a picture of "The Movenpick" hotel at DLP on page 21.

How did that get there?

JohnnySharp2
12-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Ordered 2 days ago from PLAY when the stock landed. Arrived this morning by DHL Next day. Result !!

One thing confusing me but i havent read the page properly is a picture of "The Movenpick" hotel at DLP on page 21.

How did that get there?

:( - I ordered mine 3 weeks ago from PLAY and still haven't got it through yet , status is shown as 'packed' on the order..did manage to get a copy from WH Smith but have posted that out as a present for someone.

JohnnySharp2
12-23-2005, 05:48 AM
:( - I ordered mine 3 weeks ago from PLAY and still haven't got it through yet , status is shown as 'packed' on the order..did manage to get a copy from WH Smith but have posted that out as a present for someone.

Well would you believe it, just after posting the above my book has arrived...
I am not excited or anything though, actually quite calm.... :rolleyes:

Just need to put my feet up now, I ran down the stairs so fast I nearly fell over...

florida sun
12-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Well would you believe it, just after posting the above my book has arrived...
I am not excited or anything though, actually quite calm.... :rolleyes:

Just need to put my feet up now, I ran down the stairs so fast I nearly fell over...

So glad it's finally there for you Johnny :goodvibes

Sue :wave2:

JohnnySharp2
12-23-2005, 06:43 AM
So glad it's finally there for you Johnny :goodvibes

Sue :wave2:

Thanks Sue :wave2:

JohnnySharp2
12-23-2005, 07:46 AM

How did that get there?

yeah that's a strange one, I actually opened at page 168 and thought a picture was upside down, it was Kraken :)

Cochise
12-23-2005, 12:27 PM
:rotfl:

SimonV
12-24-2005, 08:40 PM
The Movenpick photo has us baffled as well! The problem may be that the editor was handling both the new WDW and next feb's new DLP book at the same time, and something may have been transposed. There was certainly no Movenpick hotel pic on our original proofs, but I know there was a corrupt disc problem at the printer's, so this may have been the result. You may also notice the map of the Villa Accommodation on Page 89 has 'slipped' slightly so that part of the map has disappeared under the key on the right, which must be a setting problem. We can only apolgise for these glitches and hope they don't spoil your enjoyment of the book. Hopefully, all the new colour and the clever way it has been used to utilise every square inch of space helps to make up for it :)

Simon

Cochise
12-25-2005, 03:23 AM
The Movenpick photo has us baffled as well! The problem may be that the editor was handling both the new WDW and next feb's new DLP book at the same time, and something may have been transposed. There was certainly no Movenpick hotel pic on our original proofs, but I know there was a corrupt disc problem at the printer's, so this may have been the result. You may also notice the map of the Villa Accommodation on Page 89 has 'slipped' slightly so that part of the map has disappeared under the key on the right, which must be a setting problem. We can only apolgise for these glitches and hope they don't spoil your enjoyment of the book. Hopefully, all the new colour and the clever way it has been used to utilise every square inch of space helps to make up for it :)

Simon

Simon,

No way will this spoil anything. Merry Christmas.

Rob

cleo
12-27-2005, 04:37 PM
JohnnySharp2, don't tell anyone, but the Kraken photo startled me too! :earboy2:

While the Movenpick certianly hasn't made its way to Orlando, it would be awfully nice if it did. Beautiful resort, no matter where it's located. :)

JohnnySharp2
12-28-2005, 01:34 AM
JohnnySharp2, don't tell anyone, but the Kraken photo startled me too! :earboy2:

Glad it wasn't just me Cleo! :)

cannp123165
12-28-2005, 03:57 AM
I saw the 2006 version in WHSmiths in Bournemouth Yesterday
princess:

shellbell
12-28-2005, 01:27 PM
We ordered ours last night so hoping it will come before friday :) Can't wait to read it :)

mrs-mac
12-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Got my copy yesterday in WHSmith in Wrexham :cool1: Cancelled it off Amazon, they stated 4-6wks waiting time :guilty:

JohnnySharp2
12-29-2005, 05:49 AM
I think it's clear that we are better off checking out our local book stores if we want the book sooner rather than later.
Although I must admit Play.com were pretty good, especially at 8.99

Netty
12-29-2005, 07:20 AM
got mine in wh smith chester,wrapped it up and gave it to myself for xmas! :banana:

brer rabbit 28
12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
i got it i got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Fabulous as usual Simon.The only book guaranteed to get me into overdrive about my holiday!